Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

A Stupid Baby posted:

The get out frog is a-ok. Pepe has always been kind of a weird sociopath totem but whether it's a "white supremacist symbol" is kind of up in the air. If horrible people keep using it, then yeah probably. Nazis managed to turn an innocuous symbol for good luck into the most recognizable symbol of hatred in our day
It's a meme, so anyone can use it, but I passed the point of giving them the benefit of doubt after one of my favorite bands filed a copyright claim on Youtube against Trumpkins using their music for campaign propaganda and were immediately flooded by people with frog avatars threatening them and asking what was wrong with white nationalism. This kind of thing happens again and again on any social media outlet so the attempts to make it sound like scared parents making broken connections between Pikachu and Satanism don't hold up, particularly when the people playing dumb are still snickering and throwing Seig Heil's at each other.

/pol/ has been used for active recruitment by white supremacists for years and the veil of irony is gone

Knight fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/733518431740252160

It is important in the 2016 election to know your frogs

Internaut! posted:

I hope for your sake the source for this quote is some Fellow Kids worker in the Clinton campaign
The guy with "racism" in their rap sheet more times than "anime" appears in mine getting defensive about not-racist Pepe, Jesus.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Good news, everyone. Pepe's creator says he's just going through a phase:

quote:

Q: How do you feel about Pepe's use in so many pro-Trump memes, especially the more racist/xenophobic variations we've seen?

A: It's just a phase, it's not the first time Pepe has been reclaimed for evil, and no one will care about it come November. I predict that his sly, lovable, and charming status will be intact as early as next week.
http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/matt-furie-pepe-the-frog-alt-right/

Germstore posted:

I've noticed pony avatars on youtube making harassing comments on multiple video. Someone get Hillary's team on this. Gonna blow this poo poo wide open!
Bronies: another fine group not associated with toxic alt-right losers, the Trump Towers tell me.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

reallivedinosaur posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/obama-press-easy-on-trump-228107

Obama accuses media of going easy on Trump

lmao they are just giving it everything they got, they will do anything to shame you into voting hillary
Hey now, give Trump a little credit.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

I try to look into both sides of things, but this Uranium One thing's got me like I'm taking crazy pills because the best defense boils down to the investors may have at one point thought they were buying the influence of a future president instead of secretary of state.
I'm not sure why you're freaking out about Uranium One, because as far as Crooked Hillary is concerned, it's one of the more wild and unsubstantiated claims where her history of pay-to-play are more clear in other places. The state department, as one of 9 agencies, including independent state and federal nuclear regulators, signed off on a deal to sell uranium. To even start being worried about this you have to eliminate all those players and instead say "Hillary Clinton sold our uranium" which I think you understand the problem with. Throwing money at a politician's charity foundation in hopes that you'll get your sweet uranium deal to pass when the decision depends on 8 other agencies sounds pretty silly, particularly when you're relying on a crystal ball to tell you to throw money at a politician that won't even be appointed to that position until 2 years in the future. (Or maybe they would be hoping she was President? Besides being a gamble, if it worked she would have no direct influence on the decision)

Seriously, Hillary is a broken candidate that wasn't acceptable in 2008, but Uranium One is what sovcits scream about while making armed take overs of wildlife refuges and begging for snacks while screaming "I DO NOT CREATE JOINDER" as they're arrested by French mercenaries disguised as law enforcement. I know the NYT covered it in April but there's a reason it isn't being talked about regularly.

Sonofsilversign posted:

is the whole giving political favors to other countries thing in exchange for money not like treason or something? how does no one seems to care about this stuff?
As I said above, because the power she had in the decision is exaggerated and the timing of the donations makes very little sense. The kind of dirty deals Clinton made are unfortunately too common in our government for many of them to comfortably bring up without condemning themselves. (Some of her supporters think her experience with these deals makes her a better candidate :downs: )

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

Her agency is the agency that is responsible for the security of the state. If for example the DoE approves it they look at it from the perspective of, well, we have enough uranium for 2000 years at the current rate of usage and with different reactor designs that goes up to 40,000 years, sure go for it. Nuclear regulators may just care about if the uranium can be exported safely. They're all looking at it from the angle they are responsible for. The State Department is the agency that is looking at it from the angle of ARE WE SELLING URANIUM TO A STATE THAT HAS BEEN HISTORICALLY UNFRIENDLY!?
That's a legitimate argument. CFIUS is highly confidential and the public will probably never see their discussions or reasons. I'll only add that the secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security were also responsible for signing off on that decision.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Germstore posted:

Now to be fair to Clinton the physical uranium can currently not be legally exported, but you'll forgive me if I vote for Trump to make sure it stays that way.
That's your decision. If I was concerned with foreign influence, particularly Russia, I wouldn't be putting any more faith in the guy who can't stop himself from expressing his admiration for Putin and whose last campaign manager had to step down after finding his name on Russian payroll, having been exposed secretly routing millions of dollars on their behalf to obscure their lobbying efforts to influence US policy.

The favorability ratings of the next President entering office is going to be dismal.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, that was such a set-up. Private detectives "randomly" found his name on a handwritten piece of paper in Ukraine with "$$$$$$$$$$$$" after it
It was kind of suspicious that Pepe was on it, too

Edit - And...

Waitaminute <shuffles papers>

"Spunk Psycho Ho"!

Knight fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 14, 2016

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
:derp:

sneaky

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

lazorexplosion posted:

Today I got into an altercation with a guy wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat. I went up and asked him if he would take the hat off, explaining a university should be a safe space. It was impossible to communicate to him why wearing a hat in support of a movement grown on the seeds of racism, bigotry and exclusion of diversity (sexual and cultural) could make some people afraid. People came out of the woodwork around us to support the hat, and after insulting me, they began filming my "crazy" behaviour at asking him to not wear the hat on campus. The video was posted and I made the mistake of reading the comments. I am so deeply saddened... I don't want to draw anymore attention to the dysfunctional pawns that are being used by a system of power to oppress others. I do want to state that I stand by my belief that every space, but especially university spaces, should be made to make everyone feel SAFE. We need to seriously change our culture. We need to equally support and express movements and gestures of inclusive acceptance. I walked outside after the altercation, which ended up involving security and more concern for someone's "private property" then about anti-oppression and overt racism, feeling totally hopeless. Only to find the anti-abortion group posing with their graphic images and slogans of "sin". But... Beside them was a group of courageous and beautiful humans, holding signs of "we support your choice" and kindly warning oncoming students about the graphic images so they could be avoided. (Thank you Aalayna Spence, Nathan Lawley and crew.) It makes me cry that there will always be battles of "right" and "wrong"... There will always be opposing parties... Unfortunately for many people life does not exist without fear of oppression, violence or attack. But there are some warriors, who are not too tired. Some humans who want anyone being attacked (be it blatant or subtle) to know they are equally being a supported. I'm ready to make some noise YYC. I'm ready for some LOUD AF language of LOVE. That is the only thing that might have a chance of helping the world. So be a warrior and express your support for those who are attacked everyday because of who they are.
On the subway today, a man in a MAGA hat came up to me to start a conversation. He made small talk, a lonely man talking about the wall and other things. I tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but my head hurt from his low energy. I almost didn't notice it had happened, but I suddenly threw up all over him. He was not pleased, and I couldn't stop laughing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Nevada, Maine, and NH have been blue since 2008, and I know history is dead, but they're all currently and historically polling Clinton what is this wizardry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Man Whore posted:

http://www.270towin.com/news/2016/09/14/poll-trump-within-3-in-maine-leads-by-10-in-2nd-congressional-district_371.html#.V9wIqigrKM8
This is for the maine thing, as for Nevada even a lot of Clinton supporter maps have it as red so I don't know the story there, and NH is barely hangin on as blue. Hillary doesn't have the same pull as barrack
Ok, I'll accept the Maine split 3-1 and Nevada is very close. NH I'm still seeing a 5 point lead on both 270toWin and RCP so I still think that's nuts.

• Locked thread