Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
I am bisexual and trans, so of course I won't be besties with someone who thinks LGBT people are repugnant. I'm not Muslim but half my family are, so I won't let Islamophobia slide as a minor character flaw. But this also extends to groups I'm not part of - if someone thinks black people are inferior to whites or throws around racial slurs about Mexicans, I wouldn't want to be friends with them either. Your beliefs influence the way you treat people and I don't want to tacitly accept the hosed up beliefs of others. I also have no obligation to be friends with anyone, much less people who view marginalized groups as subhuman.

Obviously I wouldn't drop every single person who has racist/sexist/etc. thoughts because nearly everyone does on some level; racism/sexism/etc. is ingrained into society and that inevitably influences us. I will talk things out with friends who say something ignorant. But if someone is deeply bigoted or doesn't attempt to better themselves, I have no interest in being close with them. "Don't be hateful" isn't a high bar to set for friendships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread