Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Its my business when the fat bitch with an open sore on her arm is overflowing into my airplane seat. Oh good thing she brought subway and dr. pepper on the plane, she certainly doesn't have the reserves to last through and hour and a half flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Waroduce posted:

Fat is Beautiful

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

we dropped a fat bomb on the pacific islanders

kablooey

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Carmant posted:

Who cares, old people use more resources too. So do physically disabled or people who get in car accidents.

They don't have a choice

Fat people willingly destroy themselves and then leech

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

here yokozuna you can have this spam it will only cost your IMMORTAL SOUL

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't fat shame, gravity does most of the work

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well what would you suggest? With modern healthcare as it is, her barely functioning body will continue to suck up resources for another decade easily.

a normal healthy person who lives a regular lifespan will consume about the same amount of healthcare particularly when they get old the difference is obese people tend to die earlier and the lifetime healthcare costs get compounded by that

anyway some people respond well to tough love, others respond well to a more gentle approach, and no matter what if you're going to do either of these things it should be solicited by the other person who presumably trusts you regardless of which way you go. being adult fuckin OWNS SON IT OWNS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
counterpoint: fat shaming is right and so is flicking the op's lard so it jiggles.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

NomChompsky posted:

a normal healthy person who lives a regular lifespan will consume about the same amount of healthcare particularly when they get old the difference is obese people tend to die earlier and the lifetime healthcare costs get compounded by that

anyway some people respond well to tough love, others respond well to a more gentle approach, and no matter what if you're going to do either of these things it should be solicited by the other person who presumably trusts you regardless of which way you go. being adult fuckin OWNS SON IT OWNS

This is true, but more often than not, the gentle approach only works when it's coming from close friends and family; anyone else and it's through one ear and out the other. Shaming probably only gives a similar reaction. Besides, people almost always gravitate to the path of least resistance.

I think what really matters is getting a person to look inside and finally hit whatever proverbial wall gets them to finally say "Ok, enough is enough. I want to change, and this time I mean it!" It's all a question of how to get someone to that point.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Being fat is inherently shameful and you know it op.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

Being fat is inherently shameful and you know it op.

Like being white.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
I wouldn't care if you didn't drive up the cost of my health insurance.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Wicker Man posted:

This is true, but more often than not, the gentle approach only works when it's coming from close friends and family; anyone else and it's through one ear and out the other. Shaming probably only gives a similar reaction. Besides, people almost always gravitate to the path of least resistance.

I think what really matters is getting a person to look inside and finally hit whatever proverbial wall gets them to finally say "Ok, enough is enough. I want to change, and this time I mean it!" It's all a question of how to get someone to that point.
I'm not sure if any approach works from the outside. I hate it but that tipping point between life and death is really all that matters.

I support counseling and a truly intellectual and scientific approach. But nothing quite works like accepting a real placebo into your body and truly taking responsibility for your actions.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

yeah and the path to that point, as with any problem that afflicts people from obesity to drug abuse, is going to depend entirely on that person and their specific circumstances. which is probably why the two sides of the coin will always fight about whether to shame or support because both answers are probably insufficient on their own.

the sad fact also is that not everyone will get better. that's just life.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is there some way to accelerate their downfall so I can have more room on airplanes

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

NomChompsky posted:

yeah and the path to that point, as with any problem that afflicts people from obesity to drug abuse, is going to depend entirely on that person and their specific circumstances. which is probably why the two sides of the coin will always fight about whether to shame or support because both answers are probably insufficient on their own.

the sad fact also is that not everyone will get better. that's just life.
Something like 80% of antidepressants are prescribed by general practitioners - just normal doctors.

And going to your doctor is encouraged and necessary as a part of your health insurance regimen.

But you are never encouraged to go to a counselor, or someone who practices brain medicine. We just SUCK IT DOWN.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Well the last thread about fat people died so I guess we need a new one.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Sialia posted:

Well the last thread about fat people died so I guess we need a new one.

For every silent lurker that quietly decides to get more serious about controlling their weight and take the first couple of steps to being a better person and being genuinely happy, they are worth it.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I really hate flowers, just wanna see poo everywhere.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Wicker Man posted:

For every silent lurker that quietly decides to get more serious about controlling their weight and take the first couple of steps to being a better person and being genuinely happy, they are worth it.

Fair enough. Well, not talking about it just enables the stagnation of any change. Having an open dialogue is probably a good thing.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

these forums died ten years ago so it's unlikely that anyone perusing them now is exactly open to change

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I like fat people.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Being fat is God's way of showing you are a sinner. Gluttony is a sin.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
we should be redirecting out shame from fat chicks to the clothing designers for not catering to their fat asses instead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.891acea5a074

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Wicker Man posted:

Besides, people almost always gravitate to the path of least resistance.

Especially with all that extra mass. :btroll:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

KifygmySkulltulas posted:

Why can't we exalt fat people for all the work it takes to get fat. IT is not small feat eating 5-10 hungry man dinners a day. IT is not small feet using the Nutritionals of microwave meals to grow your penis through the pelvic fat pad. Where is the luv?

cool a new gimmick account bring it on :c00l:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
it's not, being a fat rear end is a shame, if people are not shamed how are they gonna change?

fat positivity is a shame though. gently caress that.

having a fupa is not normal, it's disgusting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My sister is fat and I love her. I wish I could help her exercise and not be fat but I live hundreds of miles away from her

That's all, thanks for reading

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Carmant posted:

Who cares, old people use more resources too. So do physically disabled or people who get in car accidents.

Carmant posted:

That autistic kid is using my resources again.. better shame him

I'm pretty sure if you could diet your way to being young or not-autistic that those problems wouldn't be nearly as bad

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One of my fav bands is Project Fat.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Carmant posted:

That's actually proof that fat shaming doesnt work

lol fatshaming isnt supposed to "work" or anything, its supposed to be funny for people who arent loving landwhales.

And it is, and ever will be.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah, just eat whatever the gently caress you like then blame jesus or someone for getting stuck in your door.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
"don't count calories, it will only make you exercise self control"

can't argue with that chubs, have another box of thin mints

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also in what world do 500 jumping jacks equal a 10 minute walk?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

is "overall health" code for the "I'm obviously fat / obese / unhealthy but my (insert value) is perfect!"

I might have an enlarged heart, destroyed joints and am going to die at 40 but my cholesterol is perfect. "Overall Health." Big Picture stuff *eats entire cake*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

This, this, this, etc.

Trying to combat bad eating habits with extreme exercise can be very off putting to people that don't really understand weight management. You gotta work out like you are training to be in the Olympics to negate and overcome a poo poo diet.

Barring a serious preexisting medical condition, you won't die from going a little hungry now and then. But nope, STARVATION MODE! GOTTA AVOID THAT, *munch*.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
fat-shaming is actually good, op

if people don't want to be fat-shamed maybe they should stop being fat?? just spitballin' here

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That Robot posted:

but shamu is fat

what's your point

it's a whale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"According to the aquatic ape theory" ok thanks, im done.

• Locked thread