Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

"drat it!" Vapour has dealt with cheap Soviet tanks before, she could dismantle them in an instant. But if they can't actually hit it, it doesn't mean poo poo.

"We can't get bogged down here, if they have armor on the east, they'll flank and kill us." She takes a breath. "We got to keep moving, hope that King can clean up after us."

I'll take Despairing, which I assume is a level beyond Hopeful 6+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Sanguine

"You...you tease! That was MY KILL!" Sanguine's still smiling, but there's a genuine anger in him as he calls over the radio at Wolfhound no. 3.

EDIT: Daring roll made in Roll20, got a 5 so all is well!

So he turns his anger on the other T-34 instead!

Rolled 4, 2 on the shots; reroll was also a 2, so that's one hit total. Side armor can't save him, so I rolled firepower at 3+ and rolled a 3, which I believe is a kill?

"BOOM! Oh, that's a wonderful shockwave right there...!"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 19, 2016

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The T-34 explodes a second time much to everyone's surprise. A shockwave blasts the smoke and fire apart just briefly enough for Sanguine to make out a T-72 poking out of the city.

"Fire from the West," declares sleepy Wolfhound number 3. "T-72."

Several alerts appear on BB's screens, notifying her of something approaching from behind. It appears to be the Abrams speeding down the road. Vapour gets an automated message from her explosive devices: several detonated due to anti-tamper mechanisms being triggered.

"Half the remaining tanks are in sight. Push in," Old King orders. "Clean it up."

Turn summary:
Infantry attempt to get out of the deathtrap city and a squad explodes in the process. They're still stuck.

T-72s move up and miss. ROF 1 is brutal.

The Abrams moves at the double down the East side of the hill and is now in the city.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Sanguine 1/5 Potential

Rolled a 2 on my save, so I mark a condition...let's be cheesy and say Hateful (-2 Humane). Sanguine's blood is on fire~!

"Yes, yes, you're very aware, I'm sure!" How Sanguine manages to sound creepy with a beatific smile is one for the ages I suppose. "Formule! Help me kill him!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

BB knew exactly what to do. She needed to rouse their spirits with a speech. Like the one she gave to Cobra Unit on the beaches of Normandy. That was surely the cure to this mess.

But instead of that, she hears the monitors beeping at her again and again and again. "Shut up!!" She shouts at the computer to little effect, deciding the best move yet again is to punch the screen in front of her.

rolled this is my home, botched it real good! marked potential.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Formule

Formule shakes off the close call like the veteran she is. "Pfah, Soviet trash remains Soviet trash."

With a leaping start the Wolfhound turns a tight corner (try doing that in that garbage, inferiors!) snakes around to behind the exposed T-72, and pins it in the alleyway. "Sanguine, if you miss this time I am leaving you on the shore as a warning to others!"

Shook off the condition with a 3, failed the full pin with a 2, but it hardly matters. FIRE!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sanguine 1/5 Potential

"A miss, at this range?!" Sanguine laughs over the open mic. "You wound my pride, I think!" He squeezes the FIRE! pedal with a motion of his heel...

Rolled 5 to hit, AT20 vs side armor 8 can't save, and a 5 for Firepower later...

"Ah...that never gets old..." he smiles as a small portion of the shockwave and heat pass through the outside of the tank into his core.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

"Good." Vapour says, finding some relief in confirmed explosions. "It's okay, BB. We just need to flank this tank, and they have nothing. We'll roll on that tower."

Hopefully. She moves the gear into position.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

And another hit that doesn't do anything.

Thoroughly defeated by fate, BB gives up on life and pulls out a cigar. "I'm going up top to light this, Vapour. Hold down the fort."

do i even need to type out what happened anymore?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Number 3 kicks its legs over and sends a pair of shots down range at the last T-72. One punches right through the turret ring and sets it ablaze. The operator blows briefly on her microphone. Nothing needs to be said. BB can practically feel the smugness on the back of her neck.

As BB pops her head out of the hatch, she can see the Government troops cheering at them from the window of a nearby house. "They're retreating!" One of the shouts, shooting his AK-47 in the air wildly. Must be time for party pops. "We did it!" Vapour receives another anti-tamper detonation notification as if on cue, and a few of her cameras confirm the reports of a general enemy withdraw.

"Good work, but don't get complacent. Let's form up on the South road and proceed on the tower." Old King groans. "Hopefully they'll be gone before we get there. I don't want to have to waste rounds like that."

Turn summary:
BB hit, glanced, and failed the firepower (like a chumpppp). 3 killed it. I'm not gonna mess with enemy motivations, they're pretty much boned and will begin withdrawing, so we'll end the combat here and move over to narration. If you have conditions, you'll have to deal with them the standard way. What's everyone doing now?

Also if anyone has any questions or feedback on stuff please do tell.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

One could only get so mad when they're sucking on a cigar. But for BB that was still pretty loving mad. She glares at the other units around her, if looksa long could kill then she might have actually done some damage right there and then.

Her head turns when she hears gun fire, hand going to her Colt. Just the freed government forces. Well, one objective achieved without much effort. Always good. "Hey!" She shouts at the troops, aiming her revolver their way. "You're all in danger here! All you useless bastards retreat along the south road until you hit our operating base!" She commands, and just to show she wasn't kidding she aims carefully and shoots the AK-47 out of the lead solider's hands. She quickly pulls the hammer down again.

"Get moving or I'll shoot your worthless asses myself!"

I dont know if it was just the rolls, but everybody on the whole loving up majorly was a bit bad. Nobody died or anything but its not fun loving up a whole map and having the NPCs duke it out instead. Some facility to make shooting more likely to have some effect may help, like the glancing shot stuff in there already. IDK.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The soldier jumps back out of sight. A few moments later, the entire group streams out of the housing area and jogs towards the South road as requested. BB's shot doesn't seem to have had any actual impact on their morale, thankfully. It's laughing and smiling faces all the way down the column, save for the one guy glaring daggers.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

BB, cigar firmly clamped in her mouth, keeps her Colt trained on the soldier glaring at her the entire way as he jogs down the road.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sanguine 1/5 Potential

After spraying machine gun fire in the direction of the retreating militiamen for good measure, Sanguine pops himself out of the hatch and drags his catsuitted rear end over to Wolfhound #3. "Oh, helloooo in there," he smirks in a predatory grin. "I'd like to...'congratulate' the gunner in there in person. Hello? Hellooooo...~"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

"Sanguine if you gently caress around I'm jamming a hollow-point up your rear end."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Servos whine as the Wolfhound's external cameras focus on Sanguine. The intercom comes on with a click. She yawns. "Mmmmmmmm. No."

An AR feed pops up on the side of the machine.

"Mad?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

"The explosives were a good call. Did a lot more damage than we did in a walking death machine." Vapour rolls out of the mech. It's hard if that she gesture she just made counts as a sigh, with her being all robotic and all. "I'll check the targeting systems and make sure maintenance didn't gently caress up on calibration."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sanguine 1/5 Potential, Hateful

"Mad? Who's mad? I want to congratulate you on a job well done, honest! See my smile?" Sanguine smiles way too wide into the external camera; it's not clear if it's genuine or a threat. "And, to, you know," his voice drops to a whisper as he continues, "let you know that if you steal my kills again I might try to do to do what I did to Vapour way back when. Can you block bullets?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Formule

"Sanguine," says Formule tiredly, "stop antagonizing the people behind us. The front armor is much better and you should try pissing that direction instead."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Uh, wait, are you telling me to piss on the front armor of the wolfhound in front of me or piss on the front armor of the people running away from us?" Sanguine scratches his head. "You should be clearer! That way I can lead shots properly!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Formule

"I am saying you shouldn't antagonize the people who can shoot us in the rear. The front, much better."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Oooooh, now I see," Sanguine laughs as he gives the camera on Wolfhound 3 a hard poke. It leaves a nice shiny fingerprint. "Well, I'm going to go piss on the flaming wrecks of my kills, then!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

"Piss on anything and you're getting a bullet up there."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
"Heh." The feed closes as the Wofhound trots away from Sanguine. "Keep a tighter leash on your dog."

The Abrams comes to a halt in the middle of the road once Old King realizes that nobody was actually following him. "What are you doing? Why are you all unbuttoned?" He asks, sounding more fatherly than hostile. "Stop harassing Kyouko. Shooting is still going on. We need to check on the tower. Round up some infantry and get over here."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Maybe someone should keep a leash on you so you don't steal my--oh, hey, Old Boss!" Sanguine snaps a quick salute mid-retort. "Why didn't you say we had more people to blow up? I could have taken it out on them!" He immediately turns on his spike heel and mounts back up.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

"Red. Shut up." Vapour says, explicitly directing that to Sanguine. "BB, come back in. I re-calibrated targeting, just in case. Let's hope for better shots on this next phase."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

Sighing, BB taking one last, long drag of her cigarillo and tosses it at Sanguine. Hopefully it hit him in the eye. "Yeah, all right." She answers Vapour, wiggling back into the hatch. "Re-calibrated or not, if I can't hit a stationary tower then I might as well retire."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Pffft!" Sanguine sticks out his tongue again as he brushes cigarillo ash off his cheek. "You're all just JEALOUS!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
A few Government soldiers fall in as the column makes its way down the road to the hotel turned stronghold. As the group enters the clearing by the hill, Ryouko calls out. "Top of the tower."

The cyborg cocks his head as she attempts to get enough elevation on her main gun to shoot at him. Even from a sitting position, it's too close and too tall. He flicks the remains of his cigarette in the team's direction and disappears over the side of the hotel, seemingly unconcerned with the rapidly approaching armor. The unexpected reports of a gunfight can be heard from the top of the hill.

"Careful now," Old King commands.

Even disregarding his words and speeding ahead, there is no sight or sign of the cyborg. There are, however, several Al-Shabaab members strung up from the windows, along with the words sans pitié spraypainted underneath them. It's of little relief to see nobody attempting to make any attack from the building, and the poor lone Government soldier that is sent in reports that there are only mangled bodies inside.

ruh roh looks like someone's up to no good. let me know what you want to do (if anything) and I'll move you along to the next day when the ships arrive.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"That...that TEASE!" Sanguine screams after the fleeing cyborg, his smile turning even more manic as he send a quick burst of tracer fire into the ground. "THOSE ARE MY KILLS!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Formule

"In His name, Sanguine, give it a rest. A dead enemy is dead whether you pull the trigger or another."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

"That cyborg isn't on our side, right?" Vapour doesn't like complications. They tend to creep up and stab her when she least expects them. "Gonna see if I can identify him."

She pops out from the tank for a while to check out the bodies. The man's clearly sending a message. Surely his handiwork would reveal some clue about him?

I rolled a 1 on Dangerous to identify the cyborg by the bodies he left. lol

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
As Vapour tugs at a hanging man's clothes, she notices that the blood on her hand seems to be a deep, reflective black. The substance is far too viscous to be anything she'd recognize, unless it's...

Oh. Nanomachines.

Her vision fades to white, then returns. A few rapid bursts of static briefly interrupt her sight.

The pixelated after-image imparts a sense of dread. It's accompanied by a tugging feeling, coming from two separate directions; barely constrained panic from the North and something sinister to the East.

you caught the nanomachines! that's probably not good, but at least you have a sense of what the guy's working with and where he might be. also you can handle the stuff without any further consequence if you care to save a sample or something.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Gee, I dunno, Vapour, I think maybe the crazy cyborg who hangs up his kills practically by their entrails and who we know absolutely nothing about MIGHT NOT BE PLAYING FOR OUR TEAM!" Sanguine's really starting to bounce off the walls at the idea of catching up to this third party and blowing him across a building or two. "Hey, Old Boss, Baby Boss, do we have permission to pursue or not?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

"Negative Sanguine. Hold tight and wait for the ships to arrive. Shoot anybody who pops their head out again." BB orders, craning her neck out of the mech to peek at Vapour. "Vapour? Hey? You listening? Get back in here."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vapour

By the time Vapour comes to her senses, she's done reciting a litany of curses from Florence to Piedmont. She doesn't speak Italian while on job, unless she's pissed enough to forget principle.

"Yeah, okay, B. Gimme a sec." A compartment on her arm opens up, the kind that lets her keep dangerous substances for a sampling. "Guy left me a gift. I don't want to forget it." She mutters, gathering some of the goop for analysis.

"gently caress, Red. You know that you're nearly describing yourself there, you psycho. And we keep you."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Formule,

"Non, he hangs up his kills by their engine blocks. Entrails are too gauche, even for him."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
"That's enough. Formule, Sanguine, you have first watch. Set up on the hill looking North," Old King orders. "Assassins, come to the tower."

"You guys clear?"

"Yes. Come set up security. Everyone get sleep while you can. Stay buttoned up."

The rest of the day passes uneventfully despite everyone being on edge. Tourist and Scooter have more than enough gear to make an airtight perimeter, and there's no sign of the enemy forces save for a few scattered trucks retreating East along the coast. The night sky is clear and full of enough starlight to illuminate the otherwise unlit city.

Vapour doesn't rest so easily, however. Flickering static punctuates her dreams every few hours. A long burst eventually coalesces into an image as the infuriating white noise finally fades. The last thing she remembers before waking to the sound of Sealift's blaring whistle is a whisper in her ear: bring me a transport that can carry 20 tons and I can help.

Deployable unmanned tugs hold the massive ship against the pier as it tries to moor up. Those that go to meet the transport see a few impatient Wolfhounds leap from the lower deck onto land, cracking the pavement as they do so. Bright green reflections call attention to the fur-coated figure marching around angrily along the edge of the flight deck. She holds a stage microphone in one hand and a scotch glass in the other. Shrill feedback from the ship's loudspeaker bring an end to the serene morning.

"Hey assholes, don't chip the pier! You're just damaging our employer's goods!"

"Why don't you go back inside and count your beans, bond lackey!" Is the response that comes in over the radio.

"Hah, yeah. That was totally there when we got here. Totally."

"Aw, don't cry~! I'm sure China has plenty of money to repair a couple potholes."

"That's not the point," the bond lackey shouts back as the trio of mechs scamper off to the East. She slugs the rest of her scotch without removing the cigar from her mouth. "We're running a respectable business here. Cut that poo poo out, man. Anyways... Hey Old King's crew, you hear me? Come on down. We got work and some upgrades for you guys once we get moored up and drop the landing ramp."

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 3, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
BB

As always, BB slept light. She didn't need much sleep to operate anyway, and while the enemy was right in front of them she wasn't going to let her guard down. Even when she had her eyes closed. At one point she almost takes a knife to Sanguine's throat as he 'accidentally' kicked her during patrol. But her reflexes weren't so bad that she'd accidentally stab a team mate. When the time came to stab Sanguine, it would be on purpose. Also, Vapour was tossing and turning like a dog or something, it was really uncomfortable for everybody.

Morning came, and so did the ships.

"Who is this joker?" BB points to the bond lackey, rolling her morning cigar around her mouth and washing the ash down with a glass of whisky. "Hey soldier!" BB shouts to the fluro clad stranger. "It takes a lot more than wearing the dumbest jacket out of everybody here to earn the right to order anybody around." She informs the unfortunate bond lackey. "We've got deadly assailants all held up in here." She thumbs to the tower. "We're not letting them out of our sights because you shouted nonsense into a microphone, got it kid?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The weather is so hot that Sanguine sleeps under the Wolfhound for shade. At the sound of the feedback he lifts up his head--

"Oh hey, it's our backup--*BONK*--ow!"

Good for cool weather, bad for rapid wakeups.

"Aaah...I should put something soft and fuzzy on the underside here. A good cushion AND some extra HEAT protection all in one!" He rolls over onto his side before lifting himself into the doggo and smiling like a kid in a candy store at the announcement. "Hey, Formule, let's go and see what kind of 'upgrades' she's talking about! You think it's a bigger cannon? I hope it's a bigger cannon!"

• Locked thread