Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

The group stage consists of 32 teams: the 22 automatic qualifiers and the 10 winners of the play-off round (five through the Champions Route, five through the League Route). The teams are drawn into eight groups of four, and play each other home-and-away in a round-robin format. The top two teams in each group advance to the first knockout round, while the third-placed teams drop down to the Europa League round of 32.

The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss). If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

1 Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
2 Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
3 Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
4 Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
5 If, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply;
6 superior goal difference in all group matches;
7 Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
8 Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
9 Higher number of wins in all group matches;
10 Higher number of away wins in all group matches;
11 Lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
12 Higher club coefficient.

Let us never forget:

Laserpig posted:

Rooney looked super inform tonight vs Bayer Leverkusen, he is still world class.

You can see the spring in his step now that he's back in his natural striker position, after being played as an attacking midfielder for the majority of last season... he's back to his old self, Rooney will be a force this season along with RVP and the rest of the team - United will be at the top of the prem with a couple of points to spare by November and Rooney will be the main reason for it.

We've been in more Champions League finals than any other team in the past 15 competitions, we've been in 4 finals, and we've won 2 of them... we've finished top of our group in 6 of our past 7 competitions and we'll finish top of this one too.

Of course - United being the team everybody loves to hate and under-rate (despite our evident success)... nobody is going to want to admit it, but you're going to see another Manchester United final in the 13/14 Champions League, Moyes is hungry, RVP is hungry, Rooney is hungry, what's for dinner? Munich sandwich?

Where to watch if it's not on TV
/r/soccerstreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If arsenal lose I'm gonna have a very public meltdown.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a shame we'll never get another munich sandwich post because he's being probated by fyad

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Everyone hates the group stage but I like the group stage.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

General Probe posted:

Everyone hates the group stage but I like the group stage.

:yeah:

Looking forward to Bayern playing a team I literally didn't know existed before the draw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BT's european show is really good

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
FC Rostov

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Today I'm supporting Arsenal but tomorrow too. And for the foreseeable future?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ephex posted:

FC Rostov

Hansa Rostov :haw:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
CITY XI vs Borussia Monchengladbach || Bravo, Zabaleta, Otamendi, Stones, Kolarov, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Navas, Aguero.

There's currently a fuckoff huge thunderstorm in Manchester and it's only getting worse, wouldn't be surprised if the game got called off if it continues this way

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Wengey tactics make no sense because he's going to start Giroud...

Southampton would have been the Giroud game IMO.. while a more open game where PSG will be ATTACKING and Arsenal will have a chance at counters, Perez makes more sense.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

I would like to ask to all the Leicester fans, Porto fans, Copenhagen fans itt. Please do not trump us too bad

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Wengey tactics make no sense because he's going to start Giroud...

Southampton would have been the Giroud game IMO.. while a more open game where PSG will be ATTACKING and Arsenal will have a chance at counters, Perez makes more sense.

Alexis at striker. 2-1 loss imo.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Team vs. PSG: Ospina, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Cazorla, Coquelin, Iwobi, Özil, Ox, Alexis.

welp

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm guessing an Ospina howler, Coquelin sent off for two yellows, and Alexis not playing in the box like a proper CF?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wengy is a coward

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That's a real bad team. Wengy seems intent on making sure Arsenal blow this season sooner rather than later.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
I have hope and faith. Wenger in.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Arsenal loving sucks

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Is peter cech injured?

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Weaponized Cum posted:

Arsenal loving sucks

I disagree with this tbh.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Weaponized Cum posted:

Arsenal loving sucks

Suck. Arsenal loving suck.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

atomic gog posted:

Is peter cech injured?

Or cup tied?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

this is america, we say sucks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Pep's getting really creative with his mind games with this storm in Manchester.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

That's a real bad team. Wengy seems intent on making sure Arsenal blow this season sooner rather than later.

WTF is he thinking, this strategy is what killed the group stage last season and it wasn't loving PSG...

Ugh.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

In Arsene We Trust

to bring us another season of failure and excuses :cawg:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
At least he didn't start Walcott again.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
rostov are cool and good

check out this surprisingly well written and researched CNN article

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/12/football/champions-league-fc-rostov/

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

T Bowl posted:

At least he didn't start Walcott again.

Walcott has been having good games, Chamberlain starting is the real baffling decision. Supposedly Walcott is out with a mild knee injury though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

arsene sucks

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Walcott and Ox are both bad, and wengy only plays them because they're the only thing left of his "English core."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

crappledan posted:

Team vs. PSG: Ospina, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Cazorla, Coquelin, Iwobi, Özil, Ox, Alexis.

welp

watch wenger win 3-0 and then be instilled with the confidence to ride this team straight to a europa league berth

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
We need a separate thread for Arsenal - PSG

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I only remember Walcott is playing when I go, "hey Walcott hasn't done much where is he?" in my head and Watch him for a few moments. Good games my rear end.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Remember when Wengy smugly sat there at a press conference and said that he was going to make a good English National Team? And then he brutally murdered Jack Wilshere, played Chambers all over the field in emergency positions until he turned to poo poo, failed to develop Ox and Walcott, and Gibbs was poo poo all along? I remember. I remember.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Really not sure the City match will kick off on time, it's been pissing it down for over an hour and there's been a lot of lightning.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Tsaedje posted:

Really not sure the City match will kick off on time, it's been pissing it down for over an hour and there's been a lot of lightning.

Yeah it's been postponed now.

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/775762361567289344

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
A bit of rain and lightning and they call off the match? City are pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

PirateBob posted:

A bit of rain and lightning and they call off the match? City are pussies.

guess pep cant handle rainy tuesday nights in manchester

• Locked thread