Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, this is cool, but as with any other heavily-modded E30 M3, I have to ask; wouldn't it be cheaper to sell the M3 shell and start with a cooking model E30? There is a serious price discrepancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh it definitely would save a bit but this thing fell into my lap for basically the price of suspension and the cage.
Well, fair enough then. Maybe it's not so bad in the states, but here a reasonable base-model 2 door E30 is like £2k and an M3 is £35k.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ventil zeitliche anpassung elektronische steuerung gerade gekickt im yah.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I posted that on Facebook and I am highly disappointed only one car guy got it. Not disappointed a bunch of women worked it out
They appreciate a cunning linguist. Go get 'em [strike]tiger[/strike] drop bear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

along with likely a 320is badge
I didn't think you got those out there? Or is your 320iS an M20 car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

We didn't get the S14 powered 320is in the US...or a M20 version. We didn't get poo poo!
As far as I'm aware there's only the S14 one, that's why I was asking. We didn't get it in the UK either, as far as I'm aware it's just a European tax dodge. But I wouldn't have put it past the US to have had some kind of oddity like a 2.0 M20 that they still called an S for some reason.

Then you have other regional oddities like the South African 325iS actually being a 2.7, or the whole M40 vs M42 thing with 318i later models.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you really need to worry about it too much? It's not like it's anything structural, so if the shape fits neatly into the internal profile of the sump, it shouldn't need anything too heavy-duty to hold it in position. Even pretty poor tack welds should be just fine.

extreme_accordion posted:

Gefahr Verteiler Klaus!
If we're talking about the same thing, isn't it Gabelstaplerfahrer Klaus?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Bigass 80's power bulge in the hood AI's collective trousers.
Fixed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Blown motor RX8
So "an RX8" then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mekilljoydammit posted:

It amuses me the extent to which E30s are sort of the sacred cow. The S14 was cool because it was amazingly close to a race engine in a production car for the time, and the overall combination was good, but FFS it's just a car, and objectively one with all sorts of flaws.
E30s are still great cars for modification, and no-one's going to frown on you for doing so, but E30 M3s are noticeably rarer (though they still built somethign like 15,000) and a hell of a lot more expensive, so it'll always be an odd choice for significant alterations.

In NitroSpazzz's case, it makes sense, as it's an already-modified, engineless car that he got at a really good price. But if you were to say "I want to build a modified E30", you'd always start with a basic model, as with any of the "interesting" ones, you're paying a premium for a load of stuff you're just going to throw away. Or in the M3's case, stuff which can potentially make life difficult for you (e.g. the non-standard windscreen).

Also, with some cars, I do understand why people tend to get upset about people "ruining" them. There's a lot of stuff out there where it's like with AE86s now - a good, straight, original model is a complete pain in the arse to find, and it gets especially annoying when the modified ones all seem to be done atrociously, with little real variation in the ghastly mods they choose..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jomo posted:

People don't tend to have a good perspective on how the "lifecycle" (for lack of a better word) for enthusiast cars works. I remember back in high-school, 10-12 years ago, some of the guys I knew crashed & wrote-off a good dozen or so AE70 and AE85's between them, back when you could still get them for $500-$1500. And now they're the same guys you meet at car shows who are all about "keeping it straight and clean" because the values have gone up by a factor of 10+, the irony being that they're the ones who caused the scarcity but don't realise it.
No, I do. I don't mind that they get driven hard and stacked, that's a noble end, if you will. Hell, I think clubman rallying probably killed off all the UK and Irish ones that rust didn't get. It's the loving atrocious modifications that seem to be a lick-it-and-stick-it exercise on them.

But yes, I love this thread, even if it does remind me I'm really letting my E30 go to seed in a bad way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's a wagon right? When did it last move?
Ran/moved under its own power? A year ago.

On the road? 2004.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I say go with whichever variation of gauges you feel is easiest to read. My feeling would be a combination of clear analogue ones for the really important stuff, and everything else through a multi-function display of some kind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think I must be missing something. From the master outlet to the tee or distribution block etc, why not just use a hardline with a 3/8"-24 fitting on that end and an M10 on the other?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Exactly what I realized a couple minutes after posting. Just need to find a fitting that will seal since I think the outlet is just a hole with no flare to seal but a crush washer or something should do the trick.

Yay for over complicating things as usual.
As long as the bottom as the hole isn't really poorly machined, a bubble flare should work just fine, though, shouldn't it? I assume they just drill it such that it has a conical bottom to it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, don't forget you get 2 lengths of threaded fitting, so try one on its own first, and if it bottoms out the hex to the top of the cylinder before hitting the bottom of the hole, you probably need a longer one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not ask AP?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Whose rotors are they? How much are they quoting for shipping? Could one of us send them out to you for less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you want anything AP, give Techcraft Motorsport in Warwick a try. I do have an email for the guy there which I can PM you if you want, but his number is 01926 403721, just account for the time difference if you call. Small company so bit more personal to deal with.

I'm afraid that trying to send lumps of metal across the atlantic is always going to be somewhat eyewatering cost-wise, though on the flipside you shouldn't have to pay our 20% sales tax.

Certainly, it seems that what you really need is someone in the US who makes blanks which they'll drill to suit for you, even if it's a bit pricey, it might well be less than what you're looking at here.

• Locked thread