Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Ventil zeitliche anpassung elektronische steuerung gerade gekickt im yah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Some of those points are making me muse on the giant pile of 1st gen RX-7s I have sitting around in various states of completeness actually... all were intended as parts or shell donors for race cars so there's no fully original cars out there though, but I'm not going to (likely) go through that many shells now.

Ditto, sort of, including the pile of RX-7s (5 first gens, 2 of which are GSL-SEs, and 2 FCs.) I only have one functioning engine, maybe 2, though, and one is in the only driving FC. I bought one first-gen, and then the drat things started following me home.
I suppose I could go full-on blasphemer and toss a random V8 in one, just for fun. If I had a 4BT hanging around, I would surely do that, just because of the cries of anguish. The 6BT in my dad's old Dodge won't fit without a LOT of surgery. Comedy option: GSXR engine?
What I really need to do is sell the running FC and the nicer GSL-SE, and then put the money into making my '79 SA22C (my first RX-7) move again. Alternately - the engine from the S5 FC into the '79 and scrap the FC (with rear seat! $250 right there!)

edit: forgot to mention: I love this swap. I understand that some folks want to keep certain cars "pure", but a) this is a race car, b) it's different, and c) there are a fair number of nice M3 examples already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

To add another option to the mix I talked to someone this morning running E46 M3 rear rotors and calipers, all that's needed is a bracket to mount the calipers. Seeing as calipers can be had for ~$200 a set (all four) and rotors are under $100 a pop this might be the way to go. Waiting on a reply for more info on the brackets.

That seems a lot more reasonable. The prices you were posting for solid rotors were just silly. Personally, I wouldn't run solid rotors on anything racy that needed to stop more than once, anyway, even on the rear (disclosure: not a brake or racecar expert).

edit: capitalization, or lack thereof.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

For measuring bolt spacing, if the holes are the same size, you can just measure from edge to edge of the holes, using the same edge (e.g. both left edges). A little fuzzier with threads, but still do-able. Or you could use a close-fitting transfer punch to mark the centers on a flat plate and measure that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh duh that'll make things easy.

Yeah, I felt the same way the first time my dad pointed that method out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have a 1/25 scale model of an early Scirocco, and it has the exact same wheels on it, with the exact same poke.

What I'm saying is :perfect:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Guy I bought it from bought those wheels new from BBS in the early 80's. I had planned on sticking on a set of BMW bottlecaps or 14" BBS but these are growing on me. Front right leaks a bit so I need to look into that at some point.

If you want something a bit larger so you can get tires for them, Rota has some nice looking vintage-styled wheels (which is a nice way of saying replicas, of course) in 15" with a bunch of 4-bolt patterns. I was very surprised to see that they had all of them in 4x110mm for RX-7s and other early Mazdas. I posted several pictures in my AE86 thread, since I was looking for wheels for that car.
http://www.rotawheels.com/product-category/passenger

The OS-Mesh might do for you:

Only problem is that for some reason Rotas are not exactly high production, so some specific offsets and bolt patterns are a little harder to come by. And the usual fanboy hate for "reps".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Hey, so what's the bolt pattern on those?"
"1x0."

Ah, but then you have to make sure you have the right number of drive pins. Or splines, I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Though as I was typing this I realized it might be the headlight switch...duh.

That was my first thought.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Stupid question, but have you made sure that the dash light dimmer is not set to minimum?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ok, just wanted to make sure that’s been covered. I’ve been baffled by that before, fortunately not more than a few minutes or so, and I once fixed a dead speaker issue at the stereo shop I worked at by adjusting the balance. I have changed out a starter because I didn’t put a car in park, before, however. ‘68 El Camino doesn’t have the shifter-ignition interlock (dash mounted ignition) so you could shut off the car and pull the key with it in gear. First car, and it was the console automatic (why didn’t I keep that car!).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A3th3r posted:

i love the idea of a "DTM M3" but I feel like what I would probably do is get an ecu flash & a tune up for a few hundred bucks & call it a day. But yeah you keep at it with the modifying of the vehicle

I’m getting the impression that you haven’t actually read the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Found this, seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W8bYp_hvg

get yourself some vtec reflections in your sunglasses and a girl in a pink cowboy hat, ASAP

NANI?!

• Locked thread