Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If we're going to get hit with a dumb twist my guess is that it's all a computer simulation. All their heads were cryogenically frozen because they were considered the best of humanity or something. Everyone we've met so far has not only been a good person, but apparently wildly successful at their careers. Saying that heaven runs off a precious utilitarian algorithm sounds like a cover story Peter Thiel would come up with.

I doubt this is going to happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Atrocious Joe posted:

They say only the best of the best go to the Good Place.

The show presents a weird and unsettling view of the afterlife, and presumably it's going to tear down the concept over the season. We see Ted Danson kick a dog into the sun and then tell its owner it's not a real dog and it doesn't actually love her. This show seems willing to get a bit weird and dark.

The writers I saw attached to the show are what got me pumped. I think this could be similar to P&R with its underlying positivity and cheer at the face, but get willing to poke at it and show some of "ugliness" that exists under "perfect."

Also, I saw earlier thread that someone said they were airing 3 episodes and they weren't sure why. But this is NBC's last shot at any kind of presence RE: comedy. Has anyone watched Superstore?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Apparently enough people watch it for it to have gotten a second season. I'm not one of those people, but there you go.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I'm guessing the soulmates aren't really soulmates in the romantic sense of the term, like a couple that's been married for 50 years then die within days of each other.

And the soulmates are more Yin and Yang to each other. It's probably more of a Limbo type situation for people who aren't quite good enough to go to Heaven, but not bad enough for Hell. So the good guys are paired up with hell bound people, and help them reform their ways before they can get into Heaven. So they have to see how the other half lives, and take steps to acknowledge their own personal flaws before they can get into actual Heaven.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Superstore is harmless enough. I'll probably watch season 2.

And yeah, I agree with muscles that there has to be more to the Bad Place than we're being told. Assuming that's one of the main story threads we'll follow throughout the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite part so far is the flashbacks showing just how unrelentingly awful Eleanor was when alive.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No doubt, but that doesn't explain why the characters aren't concerned about it.

To be fair, they're all adjusting to the fact that they just died and they've been given everything they ever wanted. But yeah, I hope someone (like Chidi) expresses concern over how unfair the setup is soon.

muscles like this? posted:

I think my favorite part so far is the flashbacks showing just how unrelentingly awful Eleanor was when alive.

Yeah, Horrible Bitch Eleanor is awesome. I loved the scene with her and her boss. "It's technically not medicine, and it is technically chalk..."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

They say only the best of the best go to the Good Place.

The show presents a weird and unsettling view of the afterlife, and presumably it's going to tear down the concept over the season. We see Ted Danson kick a dog into the sun and then tell its owner it's not a real dog and it doesn't actually love her. This show seems willing to get a bit weird and dark.
I have the feeling that the show afterlife is a "let's the large number of people be happy"/"actually really forgiving and not judgmental" kind of place. I have the felling the good place is a "people who are so ethical most people can't stand them" ghetto for people so high on most morality rating they make people feel like poo poo by their simple presence or who would complain that the average human paradise for is NOT INCLUSIVE ENOUGH, TOO SEXIST or whatever is their cause. Or would complain that people "less deserving than themselves" would get any kind of reward in the afterlife. You wouldn't torture them for spending their life trying to be their best and then let them feel super angry that "less good" people get rewarded with a nice afterlife too. Better let them believe they are the top 1% everyone else is in hell and let them be happy. The bottom 1% place must look horrible. At least most "people" there are probably interacting with "people" working like that dog replica.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Toplowtech posted:

I have the feeling that the show afterlife is a "let's the large number of people be happy"/"actually really forgiving and not judgmental" kind of place. I have the felling the good place is a "people who are so ethical most people can't stand them" ghetto for people so high on most morality rating they make people feel like poo poo by their simple presence or who would complain that the average human paradise for is NOT INCLUSIVE ENOUGH, TOO SEXIST or whatever is their cause.

This would make sense with the "no cursing" clause.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

This would make sense with the "no cursing" clause.
The universal translation thing is also pretty telling. I bet racist people only see version of people from their favored ethnicity.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

DarklyDreaming posted:

Calling it now, Elanor is supposed to be in the Good Place as Chidi's reward. He got a difficult ethical quandary to unravel and can now spend eternity dedicating himself to the thing he was most passionate about.

Pretty much every flashback we see of Eleanor's life suggests she enjoys lying, cheating, stealing and being rude to nice people.

So she ends up in a place where she has to constantly lie, cheat and steal, and she can be rude to nice people...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

I think that's supposed to just be because Ted Danson is bad at his job.

They're living in Ted Danson's personal Bad Place.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This show is super enjoyable. I'm digging it so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought it started nicely, and based on Schur's other work I'm looking forward to it getting into its groove quickly and having a ton of good supporting characters.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I watched this based on a couple of recommendations in the Couch Chat and am not disappointed. This is very charming, although it's giving me heavy Pushing Daisies feelings for some reason. Not sure if that's a good thing, considering how quick that got cancelled.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pan Dulce posted:

I watched this based on a couple of recommendations in the Couch Chat and am not disappointed. This is very charming, although it's giving me heavy Pushing Daisies feelings for some reason. Not sure if that's a good thing, considering how quick that got cancelled.

The ending was obviously rushed, but I'm glad Pushing Daisies didn't last long enough to get crap. I prefer good shows to finish while they're still good so I don't have to add the caveat "season three's not as good and you shouldn't bother with season four at all" to my recommendations. Also because (ideally) it allows the people behind them to move on to other things instead of getting stuck making something mediocre.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm guessing the soulmates aren't really soulmates in the romantic sense of the term, like a couple that's been married for 50 years then die within days of each other.

And the soulmates are more Yin and Yang to each other. It's probably more of a Limbo type situation for people who aren't quite good enough to go to Heaven, but not bad enough for Hell. So the good guys are paired up with hell bound people, and help them reform their ways before they can get into Heaven. So they have to see how the other half lives, and take steps to acknowledge their own personal flaws before they can get into actual Heaven.

That would explain Tahani too, unless she's not supposed to be a pathological liar and Princess Diana was her actual godmother.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm betting that the one who slipped the note under Eleanor's door was the Buddhist monk. Possibly because he isn't really a Buddhist monk, and would likely have an accent which clearly places his origins from elsewhere.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 23, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Kristen Bell is tiny. Especially when she's standing next to Tahani.

Edit: "That nod means no apparently."

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 23, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kristen Bell rummaging through somebody's belongings without a voice over feels wrong.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
The ending twist, whoa.

This show has so much potential and seems to be completely living up to it so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"No no no, you don't belong here. Everyone here is better than you. It has been proven by an infallible formula."

Twist ending was great too

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

The Diary of Tahani Al-Jamil, Foreword by Malala Yousafzai and Kylie Minough :allears:

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I am unabashedly loving every moment of this show. Also Bell and Danson are perfection.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is fuckin great

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hooked after 3. I'm in it for the season.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Where are you guys seeing the 3rd episode? Hulu only has the first 2.

2nd episode is pretty great though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It aired on actual TV last night.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The third episode should really be Pilot pt 3 because the ending of it really cemented this show for me. I'm all in for a show about the fundamental nature of "what is good?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Escobarbarian posted:

Thank you that's very helpful to me trying to watch it right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

You asked how people had seen it already. At least I answered your question instead of just going "use google dumbass" like I should have done.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector 34 posted:

You can watch it now if you were at all literate at computers and not an ungrateful rear end.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah ok I deserved that.

What I should have asked is what streaming service has the third episode? But I guess I'll just figure it out for myself.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah ok I deserved that.

What I should have asked is what streaming service has the third episode? But I guess I'll just figure it out for myself.

Looks like Hulu will get it eventually. They have the other two so maybe over the next few days. Other than that, you can buy it from iTunes/Amazon. Or watch it On Demand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah ok I deserved that.

Literally the first result on google.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 23, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh hey thanks!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Inspector 34 posted:

Escobarbarian posted:

You asked how people had seen it already. At least I answered your question instead of just going "use google dumbass" like I should have done.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You can watch it now if you were at all literate at computers and not an ungrateful rear end.

I love that this thread has already gone full Eleanor.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Turns out Something Awful IS the Bad Place.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Fun meta fact: Michael is the creator of the neighborhood/community and the creator of the show is named Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Slamhound posted:

Ya god drat right it did.

• Locked thread