Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
My DVR cut off. Was there much said after Michael said he was the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

violetdragon posted:

My DVR cut off. Was there much said after Michael said he was the problem?

IIRC, Michael just said that to solve the problem, he was going to have to leave forever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

And then it ended very suddenly. Your DVR may not even have cut anything off.

Eleanor seems pretty reformed already. I think the last two episodes she's been a rather good person

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Chidi and Tahani are definitely having an affair, and giant sperm will soar through the skies over The Good Place.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is it really an affair if people aren't having sex to begin with?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Kristen Bell is impossibly attractive. And this show is really good. I want Tahani to hear Jian Yu speak in his Florida accent.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Made in Taiwan."

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Love this show but they're giving away too much too fast. Already pretty sure Chidi and Tahani are the actual soulmates...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I kind of feel at the pace it's moving that everything is going to be 'solved' during season 1, then everything kind of settles into a regular sitcom.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I keep hoping she tells him to check out Cheers next.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was losing it during every Chidi scene this week, especially during the massage.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I kind of feel at the pace it's moving that everything is going to be 'solved' during season 1, then everything kind of settles into a regular sitcom.

I hope the season ends with the introduction of the bad place.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm constantly surprised that, despite the sitcom setup, each episode seems to be a direct continuation of the previous one. This amount of serialization is getting pretty common in dramas, but I didn't expect it in a sitcom.

Little bit of Cyrano de Bergerac going on with Chidi and Jian Yu and Tahani.

Another great episode.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I'm constantly surprised that, despite the sitcom setup, each episode seems to be a direct continuation of the previous one. This amount of serialization is getting pretty common in dramas, but I didn't expect it in a sitcom.

Little bit of Cyrano de Bergerac going on with Chidi and Jian Yu and Tahani.

Another great episode.

Seems like it would be a good pickup for netflix should the Danson curse befall this one as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really like that Tahani was set up to be this patronising snob, but it actually turns out that she is a super cool person. It is a bit sad to think that she and Chidi would have been soulmates if it wasn't for Eleanot and Jianyu.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel the opposite, most sitcoms would done a "Eleanor learns something new" each week, and the Jianyu reveal would have happened at the end of the season. I like that they aren't stretching out the show.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I wouldn't be disappointed if this was a one-season show. The pace of things means they could wrap up the storyline in such a timeframe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I wouldn't be disappointed if this was a one-season show. The pace of things means they could wrap up the storyline in such a timeframe.

They could honestly go in any direction with it too, though. Like, an obvious direction to go would be to have Michael get fired/demoted, changing his role in community. You do a whole season about that. It's such a character driven comedy that the actual circumstances are barely relevant.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw it coming a mile away that Michael would figure out that the problem was him, as soon as he told her that Architects don't normally live with their people.

Janet was the best character this episode. "Does not compute. Does not compute. Just kidding. I mean it does not compute, but I'm not gonna blow up or anything."

Oh, and I think it's strongly hinted that Janet knows Eleanor's secret since she tried to be actively helping her by always making the lists bigger.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I think Janet would at least know something is weird with Eleanor considering some of her requests but she's also completely confidential.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Janet becoming self-aware and being responsible for the glitches in The Good Place seems as plausible as any other theory that's come up so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh and holy poo poo the thing about frozen yogurt, how it's "so human to take something great and ruin it a little bit so you can have more of it" was seriously brilliant writing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i feel dumb because i still can't tell if that's meant to be a joke about "ruining" ice cream, because it's less fattening so you can have more, or "ruining" yoghurt and some joke about the production of froyo I don't get

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

i feel dumb because i still can't tell if that's meant to be a joke about "ruining" ice cream, because it's less fattening so you can have more, or "ruining" yoghurt and some joke about the production of froyo I don't get

It's about ruining ice cream

Your clue was that you couldn't actually come up with a way the joke makes sense the other way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ice cream joke doesn't make sense to me either because I don't have any concept of portion control [/goon]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was going to say that some flavors of frozen yogurt are actually better than ice cream but then I realized that no, none of them are

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I think it's "about" froyo places, where it's self-serve/self-mix/self-top and pay by weight (and the enormous monstrosities that result). Given that I've actually been to a place that had ice cream (actually very good ice cream) sold like that, and it was twice as bonkers, but it wouldn't catch on here because we excuse the enormity of our froyo with "it's froyo"...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It doesn't seem like that great of a joke to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Froyo apologist spotted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Froyo and ice cream are just such radically different things to me that they're not even worth comparing to one another.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Real ice cream, yes, but the vast majority of ice cream in the US is soft serve, which is about as far away from real ice cream as froyo is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Froyo and ice cream are just such radically different things to me that they're not even worth comparing to one another.

that was my thought too.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Glad we sorted that debate. Now let's ruin the next joke on the agenda just a little.

Why did Michael think ROCKS were to blame for the cosmic imbalance?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Glad we sorted that debate. Now let's ruin the next joke on the agenda just a little.

Why did Michael think ROCKS were to blame for the cosmic imbalance?

The joke is that rocks in the good place work like Christmas lights used to: If you have one bad rock, the whole chain is bad. This is because the backend data handling for rocks is implemented using a linked list, but the rendering objects for rocks are implemented separately and linked by a cross-reference table.

Okay, which joke is next?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if all the characters are dead how are they filming them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has anybody guessed that they're actually in the Bad Place yet?

I think they're in the Bad Place, or possibly Cincinnati.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This Janet stuff is pretty good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Attention: I have been murdered :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This show owns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010