Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This has gotta be a runner for best first season of a sitcom, right? Every ep is better than the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goddamn the plot is moving.

I really want to see the bad place with Trevor.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

That was amazing.

Also shoutout to the awfulness of Manhattan clam chowder.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This show really does make you want to see the next episode, and it doesn't feel like it's being cheap about it. I love it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This episode kind of bears out the theory that the Bad Place is the middle place, everyone is a jerk and everything is annoying as poo poo, but it's not Hell.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Kraps posted:

This episode kind of bears out the theory that the Bad Place is the middle place, everyone is a jerk and everything is annoying as poo poo, but it's not Hell.

Well he is planning on torturing her.

Also, the ending of this episode was pretty heartbreaking and I also want it to be the next episode already.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Joke of the episode for me was Micheal asking if Eleanor ever worked on or for The Bachelor and then Hell's Architect Adam Scott said he never misses an episode :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahaha, Shippers go to the bad place.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Better cliffhangers than "24".

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The cactus gag got funnier as it went along. Janet is the best.

The first few episodes really didn't click for me but this show keeps getting better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Victorkm posted:

Also, the ending of this episode was pretty heartbreaking and I also want it to be the next episode already.

Especially the implication that Other Eleanor is Chidi's actual soul mate.
Although, why would he only have brought her off at the last minute there? They were about to leave until Michael came back to get Wrong Eleanor off the train. That seems like the kind of thing you'd lead with.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 28, 2016

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

raditts posted:

Especially the implication that Other Eleanor is Chidi's actual soul mate.
Although, why would he only have brought her off at the last minute there? They were about to leave until Michael came back to get Wrong Eleanor off the train. That seems like the kind of thing you'd lead with.

Because he's a dick.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Victorkm posted:

Probably involves the "I'm not touching you" game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kraps posted:

Probably involves the "I'm not touching you" game

Yeah, The Bad Place's version of "torture" is probably just being around people that do really awful and obnoxious stuff, like microwaving fish in the office break room or whatever it was Michael mentioned... forever. As they say, hell is other people.
There's also all the murderers and stuff, but who knows how that shakes out since you probably can't die there. Hopefully Other Eleanor tells us all about it next episode!

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 28, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Other Eleanor was his ace in the hole. If all went well he could keep both Eleanor, and he obviously enjoys one upping Michael and The Good Place in general so I don't doubt he'd like to have done that. If something went wrong though he had a bargaining chip in Other Eleanor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was an awesome episode. This show is so great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

Other Eleanor was his ace in the hole. If all went well he could keep both Eleanor, and he obviously enjoys one upping Michael and The Good Place in general so I don't doubt he'd like to have done that. If something went wrong though he had a bargaining chip in Other Eleanor.

I'm interested in seeing whether Other Eleanor has actually turned into a worse person due to her exposure to The Bad Place, just as our Eleanor has become better for spending time in The Good Place. The system behind sorting people between the various lands (or whatever) doesn't really seem to consider environmental effects and upbringing, and it'd be an interesting (though, yes, completely obvious) place for the show's critique to go.

Also, there better be a Bad Janet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So with Janet being all cactusy and stuff because she's still rebuilding her database, was anyone else waiting for someone to say, "Dammit, Janet!"

Then smash cut to another character saying to someone else, "I love you!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

tarlibone posted:

So with Janet being all cactusy and stuff because she's still rebuilding her database, was anyone else waiting for someone to say, "Dammit, Janet!"

Then smash cut to another character saying to someone else, "I love you!"

It's the Good Place, remember. It would have to be "Dash it, Janet!"

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I was really expecting him to open that file and have another cactus pop out of it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
God this show is so good. The entire explanation of the T-shirts loving slayed me. Why do I have to wait for the next episode?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I really, really want to see Bad Place Janet. She's already insanely hilarious, but imagine...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Daric posted:

I was really expecting him to open that file and have another cactus pop out of it
I thought it was going to be filled with pictures of cacti.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
The whole sequence with the cactus absolutely slayed me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

karrethuun posted:

The whole sequence with the cactus absolutely slayed me.

Each one just kept getting better, especially when Michael kept asking if it was a cactus she was holding behind her back, and she kept denying it.

I knew, I knew, that it would be a cactus. But, they dragged it out just long enough that even though I'd predicted the punchline, I still laughed. The only thing that could have made it better was if that was the file... with pictures of cacti in it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just suddenly adding more cacti to Michael's desk without comment between scenes is what sold the gag.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

So, we got an explanation for the mistake with Eleanor, but what's the deal with Jianyu? Is Trevor also holding onto the real guy? It seems unlikely that they also shared a name (unless fake Jianyu's given name is actually Jianyu) and birthday. I need to rewatch that episode. If the other guy is really a silent Buddhist monk, Trevor must have noticed something off by now.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe Jason isn't a mistake and there is no mixup between him and a real Jianyu.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

gret posted:

Maybe Jason isn't a mistake and there is no mixup between him and a real Jianyu.

Jason committed arson which was on that super simplified questionnaire Michael had. He's definitely a mistake.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Tahani would be happy if Jason was her real soul mate, this actually bothered me before the reveal cuz it seemed like a huge plothole. Little did we know...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

DarklyDreaming posted:

Joke of the episode for me was Micheal asking if Eleanor ever worked on or for The Bachelor and then Hell's Architect Adam Scott said he never misses an episode :allears:

He also tells her to smile.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I can't help but love it when people from Party Down interact.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I like art films. Nothing too depressing, no Holocaust poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCDFG2fW4Hk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loved how awful the Bad Place people were. Bluetooth headsets and selfie sticks.

Although the other Eleanor reveal was kind of ruined by the credits having "The Real Eleanor" listed right before she showed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm betting the next twist will be that Eleanor Prime will tell Awful Eleanor that she actually would prefer to stay in the Bad Place, because it's not actually "bad", it's just the place you go to party and watch reality TV and eat junk food instead of FroYo. Trevor and the other Bad Place Managers put on the act because they don't want their cool party to be crashed by buzzkills.

This show is great.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The part where Michael had 100 Hawaiian pizzas in his office actually made my wife go "Wow, gently caress those dicks".

Loving this show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Hawaiian pizza is good, though?

My personal hell is a hundred cheese pizzas, or anchovy pizzas. Not sure which one is worse.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

precision posted:

I'm betting the next twist will be that Eleanor Prime will tell Awful Eleanor that she actually would prefer to stay in the Bad Place, because it's not actually "bad", it's just the place you go to party and watch reality TV and eat junk food instead of FroYo. Trevor and the other Bad Place Managers put on the act because they don't want their cool party to be crashed by buzzkills.

This show is great.

I kind of feel this too,. The bad place is just people being people

*Edit*
the Blackadder hell full of all the fun people.

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 29, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Hawaiian pizza is good, though?

My personal hell is a hundred cheese pizzas, or anchovy pizzas. Not sure which one is worse.

You don't like bread with cheese? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How can you not like cheese pizza

• Locked thread