Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm back from work! Let's take a look at all the songs we've picked up on our travels so far. Below I have a link to each one if you want to listen to them, as well as the description of the song provided in game and the quote from the Bard when you turn in the music sheet for it:

1 - Main Theme
Untold glory and riches await you on this grand adventure!
"You may not know this, but I compose a unique theme for every new adventurer! I don't merely reuse old music! ...well, sometimes I do."

2 - Steel Thy Shovel!
'Shovel Knight' sounds so formal... You should choose a nickname!
"I used to be the 'house band' at the hero registry... but all the applicants kept yelling and throwing things at me."

3 - One Fateful Knight
As your adventure begins, we are regaled with tales of bravery and despair
"Scoring to a picture is particularly challenging, let alone by dim candlelight! Alas, I press on."

4 - A Decisive Blow
Enter the arena, and feel like a champion! The audience is watching from off-site.
"I used an advanced technique to capture the sound of a cheering crowd!"

5 - No Weapons Here
Every town should have its own anthem. Tough times call for spirited song!
"You know, I used to get hired to write national anthems... sigh..."

6 - Pastorale
A calmer take on our village's anthem, great for relaxing indoors.
"Having my music piped into shopping centers. I... suppose it does pay the bills."

7 - The Local Happenstance
Sound doesn't travel so well down in the juice bar, so we have to keep it simple.
"Last week I was... barred from the juice bar. What are you, some kind of bard-tender?"

10 - Waltz of the Troupple King
Word to the wise: do not offer choreography feedback to the Troupple King.
"Upon my first recital, the Troupple King started flapping his fins and said 'I'm so happy, I could spit!' What happened next... I prefer not to talk about it."

12 - Spin Ye Bottle
You know, it's really tough to flip those bottles with only a lute!
"The client's only reaction was, 'Oh, it's okay, I guess. Whatever.' Sorry, was it not brooding enough for you?"

20 - Strike the Earth!
Travel the Plains of Passage as your adventure begins!
"Ah, ostinato trumpet triplets. Is there anything you can't render into pure magic?"

21 - The Rival
An unexpected encounter in the Plains of Passage.
"Black Knight has fine musical taste. Should've studied composition! But, then I suppose I'd be the one with the rival..."

Fun fact: We're actually never going to hear "A Decisive Blow" in game! That's actually a 3DS-exclusive song, as the 3DS version of the game has a minigame called Streetpass Arena. Spoilers; that's where the song plays!

From here on out, whenever a video involves picking up a music sheet, I'll be keeping up to date on what new songs we've collected along the way. I will also be adding this list and any future songs in the second post of the thread and I'll look to pretty up that post at a later date. ...but I know why you guys are all here. You're pun fiends. It's ok, you can admit it, I mean the jokes are terrible but that's what you're into, aren't you? That's fine, I got you covered; here's all of Croaker's groaners!:

"Hey Shovel Knight, I know things are tough, but don't throw in the trowel!"
"Pshh, that King Knight. You give him an inch, he thinks he's a ruler!"
"I traveled with some horse adventurers, but they were all so neigh-gative!"
"I was afraid as I jumped over the bottomless pit... but then I got over it."
"I wondered why the Black Knight's shovel was getting bigger. Then it hit me!"
"I'm sure your quest will pay off in spades, hero! HAHAHAHAHA!"
"The Goatician? He may feast on valuable Meal Tickets, but overall, he's not a baa-a-a-a-a-ad fellow!"
"Super skeletons are way too serious! They can't take a little humerus ribbing!"
"The Bard performs on the street because when he's inside, he can't conduct himself!"
"Have I told you about the broken sword? Eh, never mind, it's pointless..."
"Plague Knight tried to tell me a joke, but it was too formulaic. He failed to get any reaction!"
"I talked with Mona the other day...bad attitude, breaking breakers everywhere...such a vial woman!"
"Have you talked to the Juice Maid? I tried to squeeze her for information... But I'm not sure she had anything pulpy to extract! My efforts were toadally fruitless."
"I applied to be a Troupple Acolyte, but they said my apple-ication looked fishy... so they hired me!"
"Using a shovel as a weapon... what a groundbreaking idea!"
"Arrow signs are all the rage in the village these days, but I think they're on the way out."
"I forgot what Reize was using as a weapon... but then it came back to me!"
"Propeller Knight can fly around using a bladed propeller helmet. Now that is cutting edge!"
"You visited the nightclub down in the mines yet? A swingin' abyss!"
"How about the new hotel in the Iron Whale? I found their rooms sub-standard, and the place was a wreck."
"The Baz is a master of the rope whip. Natural talent, or was he taut?"
"Thanks for listening to all of my great jokes! I'd ask for a tip, but a well-told pun is its own re-word."

Some of these you might not get, but I'm sure they'll click with you as we get further in our adventures. Unfortunately, these are not all of the awful, awful jokes in the game. They're all the ones from Croaker (minus some exceptions that I'll get to at a later date), but... well, you'll see...

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

"Thanks for listening to all of my great jokes! I'd ask for a tip, but a well-told pun is its own re-word."

Gets up and fuckin leaves this trash thread

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Panzer Skank posted:

Gets up and fuckin leaves this trash thread

Digging it.

If you don't like it that much you should have paid to have have this thing spade before it spreads.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I just adore the art design of this game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Of course, now that I'm not playing it, I can appreciate the designs of the game a lot more, like SK's shovel having a crosspiece, Shield Knight having two shields and the fact that moving text conveys intonations. It's great!

Edit: Dangit! ^^^

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

On your workflow: :stare: (kudos for the dedication, though!)
On Croaker: :getin:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
That is one world class loving snype, this page.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I've never paid any attention to this game- I assumed it was another one of those rogue likes kids love these days. Consider myself corrected! This game looks like a blast and I (and my 5-month old) will be following this one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Question about cheats:

I haven't 100% decided how I will handle cheats, but I've been thinking once the LP is done the main game I will likely have a cheats/extras showcase as a bonus video!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is really good and I'm glad that you're playing straight man to its goofiness.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I remember mentioning this in the last Shovel Knight LP, but I'm very sure that The Troupple King is a shout-out to Link's Awakening.

Specifically two NPCs from that game: Manbo the Sunfish, who is a fish with a lengthy dance sequence and Crazy Tracey, who grants you healing potions whenever you visit her. Coincidentally, Manbo teaches you a song that allows you to warp to Tracey's house.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paul.Power posted:

Fair enough. There's also some cool stream recordings of it by goons, like pokecapn's blind run. And yeah, still looking forward to this :).

wellp I know what I'm doing for the next however long this is.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I bought this game a while ago but I never did get around to playing it until now. The core mechanics are really smooth and I love how polished everything feels. I didn't get a Nintendo system until the 64 came out but drat this is some good classic platforming.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Good Lord I love the super-secret cheat mode. Also, I would like to suggest a rebranding once you get to it:
KauButts

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry that you had to find out this way, but... you're colorblind, Kaubocks.

The potion mini-game's targets are definitely not blue, yellow and red

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sorry-- what I meant to say was turquoise, chartreuse, and scarlet but I guess I was too focused on the game

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Hmph. See to it that you don't make a similar mistake in the future, or it may impact your yearly salary review.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I wish there was a better word for yellowy green than "chartreuse". It's such a common colour.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey friends, shovel fans, and dirt babies alike, it's Tuesday so it's time for a new video! Today we storm a castle:

Info for the new music sheets will come when I get home from work. Mobile posting at the moment and currently can't access where I stored my post for them ahead of time.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You missed a secret breakable wall with a diamond in it. What kind of pro run is this?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

y'all are gonna hate it when I make conscious but unspoken decisions to skip breakable walls in the interest of time

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

y'all are gonna hate it when I make conscious but unspoken decisions to skip breakable walls in the interest of time

Literally Hitler.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
From what I remember, the troupples fished from particular locations always give the same type of potion. I'm pretty sure that one in King Knight's stage gives an invincibility potion, right before a section where it can be useful for new players.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
My favorite part of King Knight:

Getting hit by the slam stuns you, and he goes in with the strut while you can't move.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kaubocks posted:

I just wish you'd said more about the awesome helicopter rats.

Ah well, there's always the Flying Machine :)

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

'Prepare to taste justice. Shovel justice.'

I love Shovel Knight. It makes all the Kickstarter retro-fetishism of the last few years worthwhile. It's the past but better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I seem to remember King Knight's 'Silence!' statement being a lot more... floaty and rounded in it's movements than it was in the video. Am I just going nuts?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...and here's the descriptions and tidbits for the songs we picked up in Pridemoor Keep. Thanks for failing me during my time of need, pastebin!

23 - In the Halls of the Usurper
The regal fanfare of Pridemoor, twisted by King Knight's decadence!
"My first publicly performed lair theme. You might say it kickstarted my career!"

24 - The Decadent Dandy
The pretender must be dethroned, even if it's unfashionable.
"You wouldn't believe how many revisions King Knight demanded. He's what we call... A 'Knight-mare Client'!"

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I love the little details in this game like how the defeated Griffins will always drop a roasted chicken. And the copter rats. Who can hate the copter rats?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Who was going around tying tiny propellors to all these rats, is my question.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Crasical posted:

A goddamned hero, that's who.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Crasical posted:

Some sort of Bladed Rotary Impeller Knight, maybe?

Unrelatedly, there's a cheat code for Shovel Knight that replaces some of the words words in the script with "butt":

It is its only effect. There are 300ish other cheats that do other more and less stupid things. Yacht Club are loving dedicated to verisimilitude and polish, which is why Shovel Knight is a fantastic game and rather than a well-meaning but slightly dull nostalgia cash-in like most faux-NES platformers.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

By the by, you can actually get a little extra gold out of all the knight statues by using your downward shovel strike on their helmets after knocking them off. I love the little touches in this game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey kids, it's time to turn out the lights and close the curtains because we're about to take a long walk through a spooky graveyard!

As usual, song descriptions will go up when I get home from work. Never intended this to become the pattern but it just kinda fell that way. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

Hey kids, it's time to turn out the lights and close the curtains because we're about to take a long walk through a spooky graveyard!

As usual, song descriptions will go up when I get home from work. Never intended this to become the pattern but it just kinda fell that way. :v:

I'll be the first to admit I firewanded the hell out of this dude, and even then it took me a few tries to get him. :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, I was bad at this game. You defeated him handily.

BTW did they ever make the DLC re. Spectre Knight? I seem to recall that being rumored...

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Samovar posted:

BTW did they ever make the DLC re. Spectre Knight? I seem to recall that being rumored...

It's in development now.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Samovar posted:

They've committed to Plague, Spectre, and I think... King? Plague Knight's is out, Spectre Knight's is scheduled for Spring 2017, and nothing is known about King Knight's yet.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You know the drill-- here's the music sheets we picked up in Specter Knight's level!

25 - La Danse Macabre
Even the dead can dance in this desolate land.
"'Dead crowd tonight,' says I. Lesson learned: Never crack jokes in a graveyard. Never ever."

26 - The Apparition
The Reaper cometh; are you prepared?
"When I presented this theme to Specter Knight, he started 'conducting' with that huge scythe. I'm glad I ducked out of the way in time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
When I first played this stage, the dark sections didn't give me nearly as much trouble as i was expecting. From just the intro and King Knight's stage, I already had a pretty good handle on SK's movement mechanics such that I could make the blind jumps. That goes to show how well designed this game is, even though I'm still not a big fan of that gimmick.

• Locked thread