Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

please stop haranguing plague knight, my short short alchemist friend

WARNING: This video contains lots of spooky ghosts.

Music coming when I get home, you know the drill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wow.

Talk about irony.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hearing the big creep just makes me think of the big sleep

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Originally vampires were ghosts. They would drain the life of the living in order to keep their physical form from decaying, but their body would stay in its resting place. Instead their spirit would go out an attack people. Also light wouldn't kill the vampire, although it would weaken and impede it in its hunt for prey.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Huh! I didn't know that. That's actually pretty interesting.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Unrelated to the latest video (sorry!), more to do with "things that make the two Manami Matsumae tracks stand out as a bit different from the the rest of the soundtrack":

1) Virt seems to mostly use the V00 square duty setting (switching to V02 sometimes) for his melody line, Manami Matsumae uses V01 more.

2) They seem to have different approaches to using the extra channels granted by the VRC6 chip. Virt seems to go more for them making little staccato arpeggios and stuff, while Manami Matsumae goes for chords.

I appreciate that sounds like gibberish, give me a little bit and I'll try to explain what I mean a bit more.

e: The C Major scale, using Famitracker's Pulse 1 channel set to V00, V01 and V02 in turn. The frequency/pitch of the notes stays the same each run-through of the scale, but the timbre changes because we're effecting how long each pulse lasts for. This is roughly what V00, V01 and V02 look like as waveforms:

So same frequency, but the change in the amount of time the pulse signal is switched on for every cycle still effects the "sound" of it.

The NES soundchip had fairly limited square duty control with only a few settings, but if you want something with really fine-controlled square duty, the Commodore 64 was where it was at.

e2: Okay, now let's move on to the second point. So this is roughly what you get when you open up FamiTracker:

Pulse 1, Pulse 2, Triangle, Noise and DPCM are the five channels that you get with the NES's standard 2A03 soundchip - these are the channels that most NES music, including Mega Man, were composed on. Pulse 1 and 2 can be set using those square duty V effects mentioned above to make those different instrument sounds. Triangle is a little different, it makes a noise similar to V02 but its volume is always at maximum so it's a bit tricky to control. It's often used for basslines, or those "descending note" bass drums familiar from, say, Crash Man's Stage. Noise generates blasts of static, typically used to simulate the snare drum or cymbals. DPCM is a bit of a wild card, you can load sound waves into it and get whatever you like, really (with the obvious limitations on how much you can put aside to store it on your cartridge).

Now let's switch FamiTracker to Konami VRC6 mode. These are channels added by Konami for some of their later NES games (most notably Castlevania III):

You get three new channels: another pair of Pulses (with an extra V mode to boot: here, V00, V01 and V02 are renamed to V01, V02 and V03 respectively, with a new V00 with an even shorter square duty cycle) and a Sawtooth channel which is similar to the Triangle channel except you can actually set the volume on this one. I tend to like using Sawtooth for the bassline and Triangle for the bass drum when I work in VRC6.

And yeah, Virt mostly tries to go with "the new pulse channels act as mostly fiddly backing stuff away from the main tune", whereas Matsumae mostly makes them handle the backing chords. That's how it feels, anyway. I should probably open the Shovel Knight NSF up in Famitracker again at some point.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 14, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

goddamn I wish I hadn't just posted because that's two sick info posts in a row

looking forward to the third now that I've posted again, ruining all flow of the thread

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, talk to me about "regretting kickstarters" when you've broken the 200 count.

:smithicide:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh man, is it time to finally spend some of that money on new armour? Including, possibly, the best armour?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

goddamn I wish I hadn't just posted because that's two sick info posts in a row

looking forward to the third now that I've posted again, ruining all flow of the thread

As a humorous addendum to my previous post, the signs of vampirism were that a corpse would have a healthy, ruddy complexion, weight gain, hair & nail growth, and blood from their latest meal dripping from the mouth. All of which would be caused by natural decomposition. As the blood settled in the body it would give the skin a darker coloration. Gasses would make the body start to swell up. Hair and nails wouldn't grow, but dehydration of the body caused the skin to tighten around those areas and make them look bigger. And blood would leak out of the body as the blood vessels decayed. So pretty much every corpse that isn't heavily treated will look like a vampire.

Or maybe there are just a lot of them? In the Hellboy comics there's a plot thread about how all of the vampires got together in the 18th century and agreed to hide away because people were so effective at killing them. They still made vampires, but they were all kept asleep until the time was right. Perhaps there's some truth to this? This is getting really off topic though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm home from work, that means it's time for descriptions for the latest music sheets!

14 - The Donor's Despair
A bit foreboding for a peaceful, non-threatening portrait gallery, don't you think?
"'Make it spooky,' they said. I don't understand, it's an art gallery! Why spooky?"

15 - Backed Into a Corner
Rumors of the Hall of Champions being haunted are mere nonsense!
"I was honestly too busy to write this song, but it's my policy not to rely on ghost-writers."

vdate posted:

Oh man, is it time to finally spend some of that money on new armour? Including, possibly, the best armour?

Starting next video I'll be cycling through all the armors. :)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Also, bravo at 'laughing' back at Black Knight by ducking. In general, though that fight was pretty nifty - I don't recall him backjumping out of the way of your stuff nearly as often in round 1, if at all, and it changes the fight up enough to keep it cool. Plus, it looked like he got better about responsive pogo-ing, and I like that if he pogos off of you he operates on similar pogo physics. Keep trying, Black Knight! You're most of the way to a proper mirror-match boss!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is it programmed in for Black Knight on his last HP to approach you as you approach him? It seemed amazingly fitting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I saw this posted somewhere else and i'm pretty sure it needs to be posted here

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, talk to me about "regretting kickstarters" when you've broken the 200 count.
So far I've only ever backed three things and two have paid out wonderfully. Jury's still out on Ghost Song. It was supposed to come out over two years ago! :argh:

Samovar posted:

Is it programmed in for Black Knight on his last HP to approach you as you approach him? It seemed amazingly fitting.
Nope! At very low health he will do the more staggered breathing animations in spots where he would normally laugh at you, but everything beyond that is just good timing on my part. I'm glad someone noticed it! I really liked it when it happened.

HenryEx posted:

I saw this posted somewhere else and i'm pretty sure it needs to be posted here
hell yes, setz is good

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've only backed 2 things on Kickstarter, Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained, and it was well after Shovel Knight was released and became successful (but before the severe issues plagued Mighty No.9).

I doubt I'll back anything else for a while though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if Barkley 2 ever comes out I'm probably gonna give my key away

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Looper posted:

if Barkley 2 ever comes out I'm probably gonna give my key away

Only a little over 7 years!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Don't back kickstarters. Even kickstarted companies agree that it's bad business.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have too many games to play right now to ever want to buy into a beta, or get early access to a game, when I could easily tide myself over with any of a hundred other games I haven't yet played (and may never, if we're in realtalk territory). The only Kickstarter I've ever backed was Starbound, and that's due in no small part to it launching at the height of my Terraria playing. And I was legit surprised to see the release version pop up in my Steam library one day, I had already written that $15 down as a loss in my head. No, I still haven't played the release version either :negative:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's videos like this that remind me that winter is on its way. It's getting too dang chilly in my apartment.

Music coming when I get home. ...did I add the music for the last video? I think I did.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I'm close to the end of my first playthrough, and this stage probably gave me more trouble than any other from the Order of No Quarter. So many deaths, so much lost money... especially in the area with the one death in the video. And Polar Knight was the hardest of the Order as well, I did have to spam Chaos Spheres to take him down. On that note, playing this game myself has given me much greater appreciation for Kaubocks's skills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Man, the ship has the best music. And the most mysterious boss!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The rudest frogbirds. I would have broken a controller in frustration; I commend your patience, Kaubocks.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah that jump looked like a pain with the weird frog bird dragons not cooperating.

Though, I think you could have had an easier time if you left at least one of the dirt/snow blocks floating when trying to get the music sheet.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Man, the ship has the best music. And the most mysterious boss!

Hello, like-minded person.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I thought you were supposed to get the last music sheet by pogoing onto the large snow blocks and then jumping across.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

bman in 2288 posted:

Hello, like-minded person.
Well now I feel silly because I was going to say that it's my least-favourite of the stage musics :v:. But hey, it'd be a funny world if we were all alike. For me it feels like the least tuneful one, but I'll concede that tunes aren't everything, and it does build good atmosphere.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Paul.Power posted:

Well now I feel silly because I was going to say that it's my least-favourite of the stage musics :v:. But hey, it'd be a funny world if we were all alike. For me it feels like the least tuneful one, but I'll concede that tunes aren't everything, and it does build good atmosphere.

I'm not big on it either. At the very least, it pales in comparison to the other two stages at this "tier".

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Of course the guy with a history of rivalry with Shovel Knight would use a snow shovel. :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I will admit I've been home for a little while now but I spend that time eating, playing pokemon, and impromptu napping. Time for the latest music sheets we collected!

36 - A Cool Reception
In the absence of solar heating, prepare to take a polar beating!
"How about you try penning a manuscript when it's so cold you can't feel your highly dexterous hands!?"

37 - The Stalwart
Hmph! Polar Knight has no time for your temperate silliness.
"I told Polar Knight that this was my greatest composition yet. His response? 'Hmph!'"

Edmond Dantes posted:

The rudest frogbirds. I would have broken a controller in frustration; I commend your patience, Kaubocks.

A normal person wouldn't have destroyed all those checkpoints. :sigh:

XavierGenisi posted:

I think you could have had an easier time if you left at least one of the dirt/snow blocks floating when trying to get the music sheet.

MachuPikacchu posted:

I thought you were supposed to get the last music sheet by pogoing onto the large snow blocks and then jumping across.

Honestly this is probably the case and I just never thought to do it? That being said I legitimately have never had problems before now doing it my way. Something about turning my Elgato on turned these guys extremely rude.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This level owns (the rainbow statues and the aurora look suuuuper good) but Polar Knight is by far my least favorite boss, solely because of the spikes. Instant death in boss fights is rarely any fun

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

C-Euro posted:

I'm not big on it either. At the very least, it pales in comparison to the other two stages at this "tier".
Oh yeah, they're both fantastic (as we'll see soon enough!)

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm just glad that Kaubocks uses the subweapons, I've had a bad history with LPers covering the classic Mega-Man games and ONLY ever busting out their special weapons when it was time for boss fights.

And here in Polar Knight's stage he's even admitting he could get away with using the war horn more.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been really bad about using the sub-weapons, myself. I keep forgetting they're there until the boss fight. Hell, I didn't even know what the Alchemy Coin did until Kaubocks showed it off.

I'm glad I've started using them more; wrecking Mole Knight in two seconds with the Dust Knuckles is fun as hell.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Crasical posted:

I'm just glad that Kaubocks uses the subweapons, I've had a bad history with LPers covering the classic Mega-Man games and ONLY ever busting out their special weapons when it was time for boss fights.

And here in Polar Knight's stage he's even admitting he could get away with using the war horn more.
Simply Simon's Mega Man LPs are pretty good about using the special weapons in the stages (and conversely, buster-duelling the bosses).

Watching him find innovative uses for MM5's wonky weapon set is fun.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 19, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I wasn't gonna say anything :D.

Except that I also totally did not get the Alchemy Coin. I thought it wasn't even a weapon, rather something you toss and then chase after to try and hit back and the more often you can play this little minigame, the more money you collect??? I have no idea how that got into my head. As a "floor wave" weapon, it's actually apparently really awesome!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm really glad people are enjoying this level of subweapon usage!!

I'm not going to lie, it is very easy to fall in a method of just using the shovel. I do do the Mega Man thing of only using my buster most of the time-- after you've beaten a game a ton of times you just never really think or need to use subweapons. ...but I wanted to show them off a bit here and there because I knew I wouldn't be using most of them for bosses until the end of the game. I'm glad people think I'm using them appropriate amount because sometimes I still feel like I'm barely using them at all!

EDIT: Also! Simon, i'm glad you're watching because i definitely cribbed the idea of "use weapons in stage, buster duel the bosses" from you. Dunno where you got it from but it's definitely an ace style. Looking forward to busting out all the relics for the inevitable boss rush.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 20, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It makes me happy that I could have been an inspiration :). Especially for a great LP like this!

The idea to use subweapons during stages and not boss fight was basically born from Crasical's complaints, but also from playing the games myself and noticing that people seemed to have a vastly different approach. I came to Mega Man very late and wanted to at least try them in chronological order, so at first I was in the mindset of "this is very old and probably very janky, so I should try to make this easy on myself". As platforming in Mega Man is in 99% of cases a complete non-issue (seeing as he has no momentum and no complex movement mechanics), the enemies were the bigger problem, so I tried to find ways to consistently eliminate ones that gave me the biggest headaches. Though I think my biggest aha moment came when I realized that Hyper Bomb is, in fact, quite good at eliminating the fifty billion Suzies in Cut Man's stage that are only there to slow you down and tire your trigger finger. Positioning the awkward bomb correctly to speed up my going through the stage like three times was when I really had fun with Mega Man 1 the first time, and that stayed with me.

Also, I have picked up this weird (?) habit of trying to figure out how games were meant to be played. I think that's more of a modern phenomenom, because current titles often are made with a very specific idea for how the player will move, react etc. in mind, but I do think that truly good games of old also did this. Maybe this came from how much I played Super Mario 64 - it's obvious that the designers thought very hard about how to place every single jumping challenge so that you could juuust reach it with a backflip, or only with a sideflip, or maybe even have harmless, not game-breaking shortcuts if you can triple jump, or design the level in a way that you have no good way to get the run-up for a triple jump. Things like that fascinate me, and I really like being rewarded for thinking like the designer - to get back to Mega Man, in MM4 the mummies in Pharaoh Man's stage die in a single Dive Missile, which is not the weakness of Pharaoh Man, but someone had to program that in specifically and make it so that you can just walk through the stage shooting missiles, never stopping, if you did the stages in this certain order. That is cool and such a great thing to find.

And back to Shovel Knight: I always enjoyed seeing how stage design subtly shifts right after the secret passage to a subweapon. After you get the Anchor, suddenly there are people on ladders above you, enemies unreachable in the ceiling. After you get the Horn, multiple homing flying enemies accost you (that is obvious as a tutorial), but after that, you get a higher density of smaller enemies, annoying fliers, casters just a bit out of reach which are very difficult to melee...it's great. Of course, the weapons are all optional so you can't have too many "hey dipshit why don't you just shoot upwards for this challenge ugh" moments like MM's Wily Stages could afford to have, but I think there is a deep-seated desire on the designers' part for you to toy around with them regardless, and that's why they made the treasure stages where the weapons are not optional. And which point you towards "hey maybe you want to get this weapon". Such a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm glad I'm not on a Thursday update schedule-- I have no idea how I'd stack up against the Logan trailer, Red Dead Redemption 2 teaser, and Nintendo Switch reveal!

This latest video took a lot of work and a lot of takes. Hopefully my editing isn't too jarring!

• Locked thread