Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Crasical posted:

Who was going around tying tiny propellors to all these rats, is my question.

Some sort of Bladed Rotary Impeller Knight, maybe?

Unrelatedly, there's a cheat code for Shovel Knight that replaces some of the words words in the script with "butt":

It is its only effect. There are 300ish other cheats that do other more and less stupid things. Yacht Club are loving dedicated to verisimilitude and polish, which is why Shovel Knight is a fantastic game and rather than a well-meaning but slightly dull nostalgia cash-in like most faux-NES platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The remix of it with anime lyrics is amazing.

I think it's intended to read more as ridiculous 80s/90s cartoon intro than ridiculous anime. See King Arthur and the Knights of Justice for the most relevant example.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

White Coke posted:

Has there ever been a Kickstarter offering backer designed characters that haven't been snapped up by people with the most terribly unoriginal OC Don't Steal! bullshit?

Shovel Knight's Director for a Day contributions aren't all bad. One of the original NPCs is actually good and fits in well with the tone of the game, and one of the backers just made a perfectly okay regular stage enemy (that we haven't seen yet in the LP) instead of a personalized Do Not Steal NPC like everyone else.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hold on, the npcs in the villages are different designs from different backers? I guess that make sense but...Well, I guuess that doesn't ruin this, but I kinda liked how varied they were. The weird animal people are charming and give the setting a very fairytale tone! I just assumed it was all part of a cohesive tone for worldbuilding.

The vast majority of NPCs in the game are not backer-designed so they can be part of a cohesive fairy-tale tone. The 2 world map minibosses Kaubocks just fought were backer designed, which is why they kind of stand out as not very cohesive with the tone. There are a total of 5 backer designs in the game: 4 NPCs/minibosses and 1 regular enemy. Boomerang anime guy is the worst one.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Samovar posted:

So do the other kickstarter bosses have a... history like the others?

The guy who made Mr. Hat is named Hatzikides, and likes hats. That's about the history of it, as I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

XavierGenisi posted:

Way back in the intro, Shield Knight found an amulet, and it's immense magical power ended up possessing Shield Knight, turning her into the Enchantress.

Sure, it's brief and unspecific, but it's not like NES games where generally known for their exposition.

• Locked thread