Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wonder who Lucy pissed off at CBS to have such a terrible cast photo.

Zeke is the obvious my little pony but my pick is Michaela.
Most of the Gen X tribe is poison. I'm hoping they are dysfunctional and lose all the challenges. Boot order: David, Sandy, Paul, Chris, Ciandra, Bret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

-Jessica got a legacy advantage, day 36.

-uh oh. Jeff showed up on Millennial beach.
-Cyclone! :krakken:
-Survivor evacuated.
-disappointed they didn't show us where they evacuated to.

That legacy advantage is so bizarre.
And yeah it was odd that the tribes were evacuated to Fort Rozz or cryogenic sleep chambers or whatever and we didn't get to see any of that.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Teckiwi posted:

presumably day 36 for the legacy advantage is the final 4 immunity challenge? ie that person gets 1 less length to swim at the start or something which will be a huge advantage if the person is fit.

As for the day 2 evac stuff it's explained in Jeff's EW interview

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/22/survivor-jeff-probst-premiere-millennials-gen-x-cyclone

Thanks for the info, yeah that would have been boring tv.
But the person who found the legacy advantage only has a 5% chance (1 in 20) of even getting to that point in the game. I'd think for something to be an advantage it would have a more immediate use. And anyone finding out about it will have good reason to eliminate the player holding it, so it's not even good for bargaining or building trust in an alliance.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

from Page 1 of this thread: More convinced than ever that Lucy (remember her?) got on the bad side of Production. She has had no confessionals and not been shown much in conversation around camp. A producer and Dr. Joe had more lines than her.

We probably have to wait until after she's been voted off to find out what is going on.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

yo rear end is grass posted:

Fiji.
There needs to be a Survivor season set in the arctic. But that'll never happen, because the producers think that people only want to see girls in bikinis.

Hypothermia, frostbite and zero food resources do not make for compelling reality game tv viewing.

Since Survivor Arctic isn't going to happen you could watch the Homestead Rescue episode, Winter's Fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJ_Ho1crlU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
From page 1:

Binary Logic posted:

Zeke is the obvious my little pony but my pick is Michaela.
Most of the Gen X tribe is poison. I'm hoping they are dysfunctional and lose all the challenges. Boot order: David, Sandy, Paul, Chris, Ciandra, Bret.

drat Jay you hosed up a good thing.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Jay is ice cold man :drat:

That said, I don't think it's as good a move as he thinks it was. Having just spotted Adam turn on Figtails he should have realised that he won't have as many numbers at the merge as he's expecting. Unless he's trusting Bret and Sunday to stick with him over the Gen Xers which I don't know why he would. There's no point in voting out Michaela now if it means you end up in the minority next week.

The bizarre thing is that Jay and Will listed many positive attributes for keeping Michaela:
"She's never lied to me"
"We've been allies since Day One"
"She is smart and strategic"
"She's great in challenges" (and therefore a bigger target post-merge)
...and then they voted against her?!

So I think the move was Jay's revenge for Michaela gloating about Figgy being voted out and ending their tight threesome, and expect he will tell Taylor this after the merge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

yo mamma a Horus posted:

taylor is good at mason jars and vacant stares with a gaping smile.

Possible reason why Taylor is good at mason jars (and vacant stares with a gaping smile):

Rarity posted:

Jay, Pre-Merge: I MUST VOTE OUT MY CLOSE ALLY NOW THIS IS THE BEST IDEA OF ALL IDEAS :byodood:
Jay, Post-Merge: what do you mean nobody trusts me? :confused:

Does Adam know about Jay's idol?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 10, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Would the correct play for the NerdGen alliance be to make Jay think he's the target, to try to force him to use the Idol?

Propaganda Machine posted:

I would absolutely use it for "an advantage in this game" from the auction. I forget whether they excluded that possible use.

And that would immediately make you the biggest target for elimination.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

The auction has made some interesting shifts in the past, notably in Cambodia where it pretty much shifted Mike's game.

Also cool vote, I completely forgot that Adam had an idol til he said so. Was expecting him to get the majority of the votes considering even his own allies were doubting him and I was mentally screaming at him to play his idol. Ah well.

And Taylor needs to go immediately. That kind of food-stealing scumbuggery is just dumb and is used by players like NaOnka (or somebody that stole rice or something, I can't remember).

Would have been pretty interesting to see what would have happened if Michaela had survived last week's vote; she was one of the biggest advocators of Millenials sticking together, and then everyone got fractured.

Taylor is a perfect ally & goat for Jay to keep around. A challenge threat who will be targeted + no possible chance to win votes at the end + his only strategic idea is revenge-voting out Adam.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"We're gonna buy a sailboat and go have some adventures so I'm pretty stoked about that"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I really expected more people to opt for food instead of futilely try to win the balance comp.

yo rear end is grass posted:

If I go on Survivor, I'll just retreat into the woods and hunt. Every night I'll leave the carcasses of whatever I've killed at my tribe's camp so that they can keep their bellies full, but the only time they'll ever actually see me is during challenges/tribal. They won't want to vote me off because I provide for them, and because I've been eating strange plants in the jungle and sharpening spears with my teeth.

Seems like you're more suited for Naked and Afraid XL.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I just need to watch a few episodes of Big Brother to have my appreciation for Survivor rekindled.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
#trustclusterfuck

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This challenge is ridiculous

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Day 30 already? I think there's only 3 episodes left after tonight.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hannah seems to be stumbling around but the two biggest targets after that TC have to be Zeke and David.
Then Jay, Adam and Ken.
She mostly needs to keep out of the lines of fire and could make Final 6.

STAC Goat posted:

Will confuses me. He seemed to be going into business for himself by exposing Jay's idol but then he inexplicably chose to go to rocks instead of voting out Zeke. So maybe he just couldn't think on his feet? Or maybe he's just as blindly loyal to Zeke as he seemed to be to Jay? Or maybe he just figured if he flipped he'd be on the bottom of both sides? I really don't know what that kid is thinking.
He can tell you:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215479/

quote:

Survivor contestant you're most like:
WW: I don't want to play like any past Survivor. Each season is its own game and should be unique. I will play the way I need to play in order to manipulate people. However, I do respect Randy Bailey (Gabon, Heroes vs. Villains).

Reason for being on Survivor:
WW: My primary motivation is to show people that, even though I'm young, I can do anything an older person can do and more. People don't respect youth and I'm going to make them regret that. My secondary motivation is to screw with people's heads and lie every chance I get. It just sounds like fun.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arcanen posted:

Just catching up on the double feature. Two extremely solid episodes, entertainment wise.

One thing that I find tremendously amusing: every season we get a bunch of players who have a cry about how they are on the show to show their kids how strong and good they can be... while clearly being tremendously lovely people. This season, we have Ken. I actually buy it from Ken. He might be the genuinely "best person" we've ever seen on Survivor. Or he could be a monster with a nice edit, who knows?

In this secret scene after losing the reward challenge Ken calmly goes out and catches enough fish to feed everyone who didn't win.
http://d.pr/v/xjvC

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Celery Jello posted:

I feel like Ken is intellectually smart, so he can keep a catalog of emotions that he understands, and he's a model, so he knows how to visibly express them. What he lacks is the social awareness of when to express those emotions. It results in him expressing pure desperation when the smart thing to do is look constipated and upset and resigned that you're not getting a visit over Adam.

Why did Ken walk away from the discussion that was going on about him!?!@#

and Jay now has a HII, an advantage, and the ability to win various types of challenges.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

Good episode, and great season in general. Jay letting Adam go on the reward with him was a really touching moment.

Foolish move by Ken, which I think we can just chalk up to island fatigue. Still, his immediate reaction to Will's reveal and the very "adult" way (or at least off the island it would have been) he set out to resolve that conflict were still somehow incredibly endearing.

Its hard to tell who has the upper hand right now, especially after Michelle managed to win last season. Even though he's in the minority alliance, Jay seems like the strongest threat at the moment: immunity idol, reward advantage, friends on the jury, and capability to go on an immunity run. He also still has a good relationship with Will, and if he can manage to keep a Bret-Sunday-Will-Jay faction together and finesse his idol into getting either Ken or Dave out, I think he has a good chance. Bret, Sunday and Will all seem like goats, and I tend to agree with the sentiment that David isn't as big of a threat as Zeke made him out to be, though he has played a really good social game, and could pad his resume with some big moves. Adam has been getting some momentum recently. Hannah's game is hard to gauge. Ken would probably get some "Ethan Zohn Good Guy" votes.

Will just flipped on Jay. And last week Will flipped on Zeke and that alliance. No one is going to trust him now.

Met posted:

:frogsiren: Mark you calendars. Next season of Survivor is March 8th!

I'm out on Ken. I was all in on a Ken victory at the final 13. I'm glad I didn't get him in my draft.

I feel really good about Jay. Not only is he capable of winning challenges, he has all those advantages along with quite a few on the jury. I think he even has Adam if he gets voted out.

Aw Jeez. :(
Good point about Jay's potential jury votes. He can also put forward compelling arguments and rational answers to jury questions vs. say, Hannah or Adam who get very emotional.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 2, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Eh? He went to rocks for Zeke's cause.

Oh yes that is correct. Last week he was with Zeke and this week against Zeke. Cannot be trusted.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Reminds me a bit of Jaclyn & Jon flipping every vote and talking about how great it was they were always in control.

F4 Trust Cluster Pendulum Players: Will Hannah David Adam.
It's possible but I don't see it happening or Jay letting it happen.

And I'm confused: there are 8 players with 2 episodes left. Even if the next ep eliminates 2 people then the final episode zips along from 6 players down to F3 and then the Final Tribal ?!
What have I got wrong here.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

I think they anticipated medivacs that didn't happen.
Had not considered this.
Adam was a possible potential evacuee at any time, due to his mother's health issue.
And maybe there have been so many boring, stand in one spot endurance/concentration challenges because there is less risk of serious injury.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

One of Zeke's other biggest mistakes imo was voting out Chris when he did. Chris was one of the players that he seemed to have the closest and friendliest connections to at that time in the game, even though they were ostensibly in different alliances. Not only did he remove a loyal non-alliance ally/sympathetic player, he removed a shield and distraction for the perception of the strengths of his own game, and left himself and his strategic tendencies a lot more exposed

At Ponderosa, Zeke admits this was his biggest mistake.

http://d.pr/v/XIt0

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This TC is so meta.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Good stuff. There are so many darn people left that I have no beed on how this finishes.

What the heck was Michelle wearing tonight?

Standard missionary attire.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

Adam got the lion's share of screen-time, but it's interesting because he didn't get what he wanted at all, and the tease of his possible alliance to Bret and Sunday turned out not to mean that much beyond helping to pull together the Will vote.

One thing I kinda do love about the most modern Survivor strategy is the meta-awareness of how the game has functioned in the past, and it was fully on display when Hannah basically said exactly what commenters (including people here!) have said when watching similar scenarios play out. The goat takes someone's spot, dammit. It might be yours, especially if you're not someone the goat will work with. Adam would've been able to work with Sunday. Hannah didn't feel as if she could. So this was a great play on Hannah's part, and it's all Hannah's big move, the way Adam's was Will. Something's making me think maybe they both get to the end and have to answer for their decisions.

Yes Hannah doesn't want to let Sunday be the goat that is taken to the end. That's Hannah's spot and she knows it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I hope David gets to the end and then admits to the jury he's been into bushcraft and the outdoors his entire life and was just pretending to be afraid of bugs at the start to make sure he wasn't seen as a threat.
:master:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Jay is awesome and I think I'm actually rooting for him over anybody else at this point. I'd like Adam and Hannah to round out the final three with him.

I fear Ken's Legacy Advantage will be used to knock Jay out of the game.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The thread title makes me nostalgic. Spent far too much time at the stupid game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168zpTs3bJE

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

And they all lied to her and used her as a number content in the fact her gameplay wasn't respected enough for a chance at victory. She was voted out because Hannah knew she was too much of a goat and took up valuable final 3 space.

Everyone "loves" the mom character. The mom doesn't win the game.

Counterpoint: Tina Wesson. Which I will agree/admit, was a long time ago.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
A voting block is when multiple alliances join for 1 (one) vote to target a specific individual.
It's really not that complicated.

xbilkis posted:

I think it's funny that "voting blocs" and the Insane Complex Evolution of Survivor Strategy became a narrative the show leans on after Stephen played it up in Second Chances, because

1) His first season was pretty straightforward strategically, with his minority tribe alliance sticking together and more or less picking off the majority tribe until the end. So, to him, people flipping back and forth on alliances - not exactly a novel concept - was suddenly the biggest revolution in the world
2) He was a complete mess in Cambodia who failed at his sole objective and voted himself out by misusing his advantage

Every season must be PUSHING THE EVOLUTION OF THE GAME because of a guy whose season highlight was making GBS threads his brains out

Fishbach also introduced Survivor to the term used for the next season: Game Changer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HvFFlYy120

• Locked thread