Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Daric posted:

This show is amazing

:agreed:

My favorite new show in quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Homer, I see you agree with me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jerkface posted:

Can't wait for the Lando spinoff movie starring Paper Boi

Make Paper Boi Jabba. Paper Boi's nothing to gently caress with, as demonstrated at the end of last week's episode.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I wasn't much of a fan of the last two episodes, but that's mostly because I really need more of Van and enjoyed her episode a lot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I wasn't much of a fan of the last two episodes, but that's mostly because I really need more of Van and enjoyed her episode a lot.

I...uhh...feel like you're about to make up for lost time. :ohdear:

e- "You...don't feel like I can tell African-Americans apart?"

"No."

e2- "Nigga, do I gotta explain alliteration?!?" :roflolmao:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

CBJSprague24 posted:

I...uhh...feel like you're about to make up for lost time. :ohdear:

e- "You...don't feel like I can tell African-Americans apart?"

"No."

e2- "Nigga, do I gotta explain alliteration?!?" :roflolmao:

that painting...

loving this episode

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Black people as a hobby" pretty much describes Mo's husband.

And "RAMON WILL BRING YOU A TO-GO PLATE". Jesus.

e- "This is wack. Stop stuntin' on me about my culture." :golfclap:

Chain Gang. :vince:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"That sounds like something that really happened. I'm glad that story is being told."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Man this episode was crazy, can somebody tell me what I'm supposed to think about it?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Craig was like the perfect "heart might be in the right place but utterly clueless" white dude caricature. I was half-cringing-half-laughing through all his scenes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I can't for the life of me remember who Monique is. Where did Van meet her and why are they friends?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I feel really weird being white and watching this show now

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Pussy Quipped posted:

I feel really weird being white and watching this show now

Same, but I think as long as we aim for slightly better about our awareness than Craig we'll be alright.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

"That sounds like something that really happened. I'm glad that story is being told."

This and "Is Vin Diesel black?" were both delivered so well.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That handshake poo poo is real and so good drat annoying

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tigren posted:

I can't for the life of me remember who Monique is. Where did Van meet her and why are they friends?

The episode description says she's Earn's aunt. Hence the one trifling thug comment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I thought this episode was really racist toward white people, and I'm not sure why Atlanta is trying to alienate its core audience

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
This show keeps going to unexpected places and I'm digging every second. The Jim Crow slam poem was so painful but so real.

blue squares posted:

I thought this episode was really racist toward white people, and I'm not sure why Atlanta is trying to alienate its core audience

:yikes:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

blue squares posted:

lmao :vince:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Season Finale". :(

This show needs to come back as 13, hour-long episodes next year.

Vegetable posted:

Man this episode was crazy, can somebody tell me what I'm supposed to think about it?

Well, see, Craig and Monique are together because Craig sees his wife and her ethnicity/heritage as a novelty and Monique puts up with him because she's an admitted gold-digger, so...uh...yeah, I have no clue either.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
'That nigga told my 95 year old grandmother she was cookin' her collard greens wrong."

line of the night

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait why did I think Monique was Van's mother?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Racist

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
As a white dude in a long term relationship with a black girl...poo poo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Mameluke posted:

At one point she says something like "thanks mom"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The loving small things and situations are so loving spot on.

Bougie black mom and how she treats the wait staff. And how everything has to be perfect and happy. White guilt dude and the fascination with black culture and condescension. The white dude thinking that mist African Americans give a gently caress about their original heritage.

Van the black woman only being judged by who her man is. Like outside of Earn's speech about her. And that started with a question about him Literally every other conversation she was in was about Earn.

Black bougie Mom who has done everything for the good life looking down on rappers and calling them thugs.

I loving love this show. As it captures amd shows the pure absurdity of situations we find ourselves in.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 27, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

this was a joke, btw.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blue squares posted:

this was a joke, btw.

An excellent one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It was funnier when you didn't feel the need to clarify it

Still funny though

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Monique is not Earn's aunt and she's not Van's mom. She's just someone Van knows.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That's the second time there's been a "Real Housewives"-esque character on this show. The other was Van's "use yourself to advance yourself" friend who got Van high and, subsequently, fired.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's the second time there's been a "Real Housewives"-esque character on this show. The other was Van's "use yourself to advance yourself" friend who got Van high and, subsequently, fired.

TBF that wasn't Van's friend's fault. That was Van's fault. No person with a job that does testing(especially scheduled testing jfc) should smoke weed when they know they are gonna get tested.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't really have perspective on this, but for white people is this show empathetic enough for yall to get it, or is it just a different kind of experience do you think? Like was the part where Earn had no interest in Africa confusing, understanding or what?

IE I've confused a lot of white people not giving a gently caress about Africa and being generally angry about that question.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Veskit posted:

I don't really have perspective on this, but for white people is this show empathetic enough for yall to get it, or is it just a different kind of experience do you think? Like was the part where Earn had no interest in Africa confusing, understanding or what?

IE I've confused a lot of white people not giving a gently caress about Africa and being generally angry about that question.

It's obviously not relatable but it's absolutely understandable. I don't think I've ever met a non-white person interested in going to Africa unless their parents or grandparents actually came from there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Y'all missing out, Cape Town is hella awesome.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Veskit posted:

Nah, not confusing. Not even really surprising. It's hard to describe, it's like a point of view that is totally understandable and almost obvious once you think about it, but not beforehand, if that make sense? I can't think of a good word to encapsulate it, but I kind of assumed that the episode was going to go for the more typical "this is a white guy who genuinely thinks he is black" character. And then when he wasn't that, and I saw how Earn reacted to his whole obsession with black culture, it was kind of an "Aha!" moment. Like, when Donald Glover said he wanted a black writers room so that he could express black points of view that white people might not be familiar with, I really think he meant exactly that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Veskit posted:

As a white goon from a pretty privileged background, there are obviously countless moments on the show like this which do not directly resonate with me and my personal experience. But every time something like this happens, it seems easily understandable what the character is going through and why they are upset/perplexed/disappointed/whatever. Their reaction feels natural, even if it's not what I expected. The show makes it easy to put myself in the character's shoes despite all the differences. I think that's a testament to how well done this show is, because all of the recurring characters feel like real people with depth in just a few short episodes.

A lot of time the show kind of preps you something that might otherwise be confusing or unexpected. So with Earn's disinterest in visiting Africa, the episode had already put us into this weird party with the absurd white guy who's way too into everything black in an awkward way. Everything about his behavior and interactions with Earn and Van feel so unnatural and cringe-worthy, that by the time Earn is in the study I just kind of instinctively expect Earn (and myself by proxy) to be turned off by anything that comes out of this guy's mouth. I honestly don't know if, before the context of this episode, I would have assumed that most African American's have some interest in visiting Africa or not. But by the time that question arises in the episode, the show has already primed me to expect Earn to see that suggestion as ridiculous/pointless/etc.

I guess the TL;DR version is that it's really great TV because it makes characters and situations that are very far from my own experience easily relatable, and it does this without seeming like it's trying too hard.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

It seemed kinda natural...? I mean I'm a third generation immigrant and my roots are not really something that is on my mind, because I was born where I live. My roots aren't somewhere else, they are here. I know many first and second generation immigrants who would argue otherwise but they actually still have ties to their predecessors roots like relatives and national stories. For me it's just my last name, and in Earn's case it's not even that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
As a white person, I thought it was an interesting take on white guilt. I've found similar experiences where I think overall my takeaway is that actions speak louder than words. To me, that's the kind of guy that would research black history and try to express his white guilt, but never show up to a BLM rally. He comes off as more of a narcissist, using his white guilt for attention, than as someone who is actually committed to improving the lives of black people. Wanting Black people to go discover their roots in Africa is a gesture that sounds meaningful, but to me, comes across more as actually furthering the wedge between whites and black by suggesting that their "true" culture is not in American society. "Sorry my ancestors ripped yours out of their home, you should go back there[subtext: and make a new home because you don't belong here]."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I loved the "stop being so likable" line near the end. Like yeah that guy was a weirdo who fetishized black culture, but he seemed genuinely aware of cultural appropriation and that kinda stuff, like he was kind of aware of his privilege. It would have been to easy to have him dropping casual n-words like he actually thought he was black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's like that last episode with the feminist prof. She's not the caricature most comedies would deploy. This show embraces complexity and that's what's giving it its unique voice.

• Locked thread