Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This latest episode, like the club episode, dragged a LOT. There are some fantastic moments in there, but it feels like they don't know how to fill a full time slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

This latest episode, like the club episode, dragged a LOT. There are some fantastic moments in there, but it feels like they don't know how to fill a full time slot.

While I understand this I personally feel it adds to the natural tone of the show quite a bit. Plus I just like seeing the guys shooting the poo poo.

Really enjoyed the finale. The whole scene with the shooting was so effective, the way they're just talking nonsense and Paper Boi gets the tour opportunity and then it gets super serious before snapping back to awkward comedy with Earn asking the guy to check the pockets, yet the whole thing still feels oddly muted, as if it's an everyday occurrence. And the final scene cuts pretty deep after the mostly low-key vibe of the episode.

Can't loving wait for season 2.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I liked Darius meekly admitting that seeing cops shoot a drugs/arms dealer was "kinda cool."

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Luvcow posted:

Oh poo poo, there's no reason to attack Twin Peaks and Stranger Things just to say you like Atlanta.

:smith:

I do agree though that there is nothing like this show.

I love both those shows too actually! what I meant to convey is that Atlanta feels really refreshing and new in comparison (Stranger Things had too many qualities to list but it certainly wasnt groundbreaking).

I've been watching good TV shows for about 15 years now and I get excited about series like Atlanta. I think they elevate the medium as a proper art form. :)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

White Rabbit posted:

I love both those shows too actually! what I meant to convey is that Atlanta feels really refreshing and new in comparison (Stranger Things had too many qualities to list but it certainly wasnt groundbreaking).

I've been watching good TV shows for about 15 years now and I get excited about series like Atlanta. I think they elevate the medium as a proper art form. :)

I so much agree with this. I loved community and was excited to see someone from the show branching out but I had no idea Donald Glover would create something this good.

While it's not really comparable to Atlanta I would be interested to hear what you think of High Maintenance as it too is doing something unique and innovative.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I enjoy that even when "nothing is happening" there's still a lot to appreciate in the composition of the shots and the little bit of texture the actors bring in their mannerisms. It's not just like shot-reverse-shot-conversations for exposition's sake, even if there's not a lot going on I still feel engaged.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

This episode had everything IMO. Darius, Alfred, Vanessa, something absolutely ridiculous happening. And Paperboi gets a tour gig! Great ending to the season.

Earn though :smith:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

One of my new favorite shows of all time. Loved it.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Luvcow posted:

While it's not really comparable to Atlanta I would be interested to hear what you think of High Maintenance as it too is doing something unique and innovative.

High Maintenance is just great, worst thing I could say about it is that it's a bit uneven and even then thats kinda part of HM's thing (plus when you get highs like the Grandpa episode you dont complain about lows).

It bears comparing to Atlanta though you're right. Both feel right at home in post-Louie TV dramedy land, where networks now entrust just one or two creative minds with basically full control on their show so it turns out intensely personal and tonally coherent.

The tone thing is why Atlanta is more interesting than High Maintenance for me. High Maintenance drops you off in a new environment, explores it, and retreats back to its core theme at the end (theme pretty much being weed & the Guy as metaphors for freedom and so on). I *love* the free form thing. But its embedded to HM so you come to expect it.

OTOH Atlanta focuses on just 3-4 characters and despite that still explores new environments, still questions a lot of things related to the plurality of society, and still has its side characters depicted honestly - wether they are well drawn like Vanessa's diner friend, or barely sketched out like a Korean man laying on the floor crying on the phone, none of them are played for cheap laughs. Each of these tropes is earned with a lot more effort in Atlanta and I appreciate that a lot.

So it's more coherent tonally because not only this honesty into showing people's lives and environments feels honest and earned, it's also always done through the viewpoint of the main characters. There's subjectivity in there, there's character growth, drama, real stuff like Earn living in a storage locker or Boi being legit angry at Bieber's schtick - you're sad/angry along with them. I dont miss that subjectivity when I watch HM, but I think it works really well in ATL.

Also ATL has a Cane Corso in it. De facto best show. :cheerdoge:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

White Rabbit posted:

High Maintenance is just great, worst thing I could say about it is that it's a bit uneven and even then thats kinda part of HM's thing (plus when you get highs like the Grandpa episode you dont complain about lows).

It bears comparing to Atlanta though you're right. Both feel right at home in post-Louie TV dramedy land, where networks now entrust just one or two creative minds with basically full control on their show so it turns out intensely personal and tonally coherent.

The tone thing is why Atlanta is more interesting than High Maintenance for me. High Maintenance drops you off in a new environment, explores it, and retreats back to its core theme at the end (theme pretty much being weed & the Guy as metaphors for freedom and so on). I *love* the free form thing. But its embedded to HM so you come to expect it.

OTOH Atlanta focuses on just 3-4 characters and despite that still explores new environments, still questions a lot of things related to the plurality of society, and still has its side characters depicted honestly - wether they are well drawn like Vanessa's diner friend, or barely sketched out like a Korean man laying on the floor crying on the phone, none of them are played for cheap laughs. Each of these tropes is earned with a lot more effort in Atlanta and I appreciate that a lot.

So it's more coherent tonally because not only this honesty into showing people's lives and environments feels honest and earned, it's also always done through the viewpoint of the main characters. There's subjectivity in there, there's character growth, drama, real stuff like Earn living in a storage locker or Boi being legit angry at Bieber's schtick - you're sad/angry along with them. I dont miss that subjectivity when I watch HM, but I think it works really well in ATL.

Also ATL has a Cane Corso in it. De facto best show. :cheerdoge:

Thank you for this. You said it better than i ever could.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That's... a pretty good writeup.

And complaining about an episode dragging in a show like this where there's barely a plot to speak of is kind of pointless. It's a hang-out show, and as long as the characters act mostly like people and get into and out of ridiculous poo poo, then it's all good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Like I said before, this show reminds me of a much more serious version of Black Jesus: both feature a group of friends just trying to do what they have to to get by and achieve their goals (BLJ: advancing Compton, ATL: Paper Boi's rap career) in spite of their surroundings and the obstacles/people they have to deal with. Black Jesus is much more comedic, whereas Atlanta is a bit more captivating while still being fun. Both are good in their own way.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That storage unit looked prettttttty tight though.

Those aren't lockable from the inside, are they? I'd worry about somebody scoping out lockers without padlocks on them.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 7, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just finished the episode that's a parody of a black Charlie Rose talk show complete with parody commercials and I realized I don't know anything about anything. This show is fantastic. It's the only thing I've laughed at since Monday.

Captivating while still being fun is a great way to describe it.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

At least the show is going to have one hell of a social climate to play off of in the next few years.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Not sure if you guys are aware, but Darius is playing L in the movie adaptation of Death Note.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

MrBuddyLee posted:

Not sure if you guys are aware, but Darius is playing L in the movie adaptation of Death Note.

That's actually some amazing casting. I think he'll knock it out the park as L.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

They're making an adaptation now? It was like 5 years since Death Note had it moment in pop culture. :psyduck:

Stanfield doesn't seem nearly enough of a weirdo for that role but we'll see I guess.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Saw something interesting last night rewatching the Juneteenth episode:

What's that on the shelf to the right of the weird white guy........?

Cover for the new Childish Gambino album "Awaken, My Love" that was unveiled this week.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Cover for the new Childish Gambino album "Awaken, My Love" that was unveiled this week.

Oh poo poo good eye.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

:aaaaa:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Wow, nice catch man.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RedneckwithGuns posted:

this kind of blatant product placement is ruining television

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Down with our joke rap overlords.
No MCs, no Masters.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just knocked out all 10 episodes today. drat, that was some fine television. The goddamn invisible car and dog shooting target had me laughing like a crazy person. Everything else was top-notch too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Veskit posted:

I don't really have perspective on this, but for white people is this show empathetic enough for yall to get it, or is it just a different kind of experience do you think? Like was the part where Earn had no interest in Africa confusing, understanding or what?

IE I've confused a lot of white people not giving a gently caress about Africa and being generally angry about that question.

I'm hitting this from page 5, not sure if it's still relevant on page 7. I guess I'll find out in a minute. I just binged this thing through episode 9 and I don't want spoilers #triggered

So, I had this thought a few episodes back, two whole hours ago, but coming into the finish line it's unchanged, if not even reinforced.

You know that show, Girls? The Honestly Feminist Truth about white girls with rich parents in Brooklyn? I bring it up because Donald Glover was cast as Lena Dunham's token black boyfriend for the first three episodes of season 2, and was promptly never heard from again.

After a passable first season, Girls faced criticism for featuring an entirely-white cast in a very diverse corner of America. Stuntcasting Don Glover was the apparent answer, and that's where the show lost me into facepalms and hatewatching.

So, Girls says, oh, we need black people? Let's have Hannah gently caress a black guy and have Meaningful Conversations. Atlanta has white people in very specific places for very specific reasons. It feels like the same concept from a radically different perspective but most importantly, actually done well. To me, as a white millennial female who rolls her eyes at Girls, Atlanta feels like a poignant response.

When I watch Atlanta, I feel like I get to see a slice of the world that I really cannot ever have practical access to, with a sense of humor even!, and episode 9 really drives that in with the guy with the black fetish and the golddigger yelling at the ridiculously-costumed black maids over their motherfucking Juneteenth party.

Edit: My family immigrated to America very early on, in the 1640's. I don't really need to see the motherland to get a sense of my history, because for all intents and purposes, my history is here. Admittedly, the white religious refugee experience was quite different from the triangle trade, but...

Yeah, I'm not the rear end in a top hat from Boston copping an accent and getting pumped up over the NRA or anything. I guess there's that. You can't really translate all of these contexts directly, but many white people do spend a lot of time and energy into their genealogy. I don't. I get it secondhand, and I find it cool and interesting, and then again that's precisely the white privilege Earn is getting at when he talks about slavery erasing any hope of his even being able to do the same thing. I guess I wonder whether he wouldn't care because he can't, or he chooses not to, or else if it's just not in the culture to give a poo poo in the first, or probably some combination thereof.

I'm not sure if this reflects getting it, or not getting it. I'm loving the hell out of Atlanta, though.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 9, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't forget Glover's character was also a Republican and that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said he was effectively a walking black dildo.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Lakeith Stanfield, aka Darius, hijacked the stage from Silicon Valley at the Critics' Choice Awards yesterday :lol:

https://youtu.be/IQbMcajf7iU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching this and maaaaan it really is one of the best shows of the year. The way it deals with social issues blahblah is so natural, and it's absolutely hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah you can hear Alfred listening to the Crunch-Os commercial from episode 7 when Van calls him to ask for drug test advice in episode 6.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

i am the bird posted:

Lakeith Stanfield, aka Darius, hijacked the stage from Silicon Valley at the Critics' Choice Awards yesterday :lol:

Haha, that you can see him bee-lining for the stage in the background makes it for me

EDIT: Technically unrelated but Awaken My Love is so loving strange coming off Donglover's other works but its really growing on me. Everyone should give it a listen.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Haha, that you can see him bee-lining for the stage in the background makes it for me

EDIT: Technically unrelated but Awaken My Love is so loving strange coming off Donglover's other works but its really growing on me. Everyone should give it a listen.

I went into it expecting a rap album. It took me a few listens to get it, and now it's wonderful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

i am the bird posted:

NIGERIANS! :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tigren posted:

It took me a few listens to get it, and now it's wonderful.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I also watched Finding the Funk on MTV Live and now I've been listening to funk for three days straight.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
Atlanta won a Golden Globe for best comedy/musical tv series and Donald won for best actor in a comedy/musical tv series last night!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Glad to see Dong Lover and the show getting the recognition they deserve.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Under [his] new contract, Glover will develop new shows for the network and streaming services in addition to writing, producing, directing and starring in Atlanta. The popular series was renewed for second season, but will be delayed until 2018 due to Glover's work on the upcoming Star Wars film.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Man's gonna work himself to def.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I just sat down and watched the first episode tonight.

I then promptly watched the whole season back to back.

The characters are relatable and likeable. The club episode was the weakest, but when the invisible car ran all those people down at the end I almost pissed myself. As a white guy from the south pacific, It's one of my favorite shows of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTjRsPoekE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tigren posted:

I also watched Finding the Funk on MTV Live and now I've been listening to funk for three days straight.

I haven't seen that or listened to any of donglover's albums but Funk is awesome. Matter of fact, Atlanta had "Hit it and Quit It" by Funkadelic in the drug test episode. Such a great song, off of an all time classic favorite album of mine(and I'm sure of many many other people). I still listen to Maggot Brain all the time and you should too

Anyway, how's that mtv special? And is dglover's latest album funk?

• Locked thread