Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Hating Maria in EP1 is an almost universal experience, yeah.

So it's not just me? Awesome, I hate lovely little kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I saw a few clips of the anime when I watched an AMV a long time ago. But other than that, I have no clue what's going on, other than Maria needs to get smacked across the mouth for acting like a 2 year old, and Battler seems to be hitting on his cousin.

Really, the only reasons I'm reading this is because of Professor Prof, and Higurashi.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Great. We've gone from one kind of insufferable to another.

I won't say that the delivery is bad, because I feel it fits really well with the guy. The problem is, to me anyway, that Kinzo comes off as extremely pathetic right here, and his attempts at being a powerful entity fail because of his blubbering and whining.

But that's just how I feel right now. I can't stand drama queens.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I mean, I understand that this dude is at the end of his rope, but I'm not feeling much sympathy towards him. Dude is just concerned about himself and that witch they keep going on about, not his family (though they clearly have their faults). Never had to deal with someone who's losing their mind, I'm further at a loss.

When does playing the game actually start? This ride has been completely on rails since we started, and the only tolerable characters so far are George and Jessica for me.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

alcharagia posted:

It's sad if you can't enjoy Mackerel Grandma IMO

Ah, poo poo. I forgot her. Her, I also like. So far, anyways.

Lord Koth posted:

To get into technicalities, Umineko (and Higurashi for that matter) is not actually a Visual Novel - it's a related type of work called a Kinetic Novel. Visual Novels have choices that let you as a player influence what is happening to some extent or another, whereas Kinetic Novels are literally a book in visual form, and thus there are no choices (well okay, there's exactly one choice in Umineko, at the very end of the last episode). Umineko specifically is a mystery novel, where the challenge is figuring out what's going on, or just how something happened, before the characters do.

Oh. Ohhhhhh. That explains a lot, thank you for clarifying. Adjusting my expectations appropriately.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Holy poo poo, this family is hella loving assholes.

Two things I want to say though: first, I forgot Battler had a sister, and what year did this take place?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

tiistai posted:

"Little Ange-chan" was very briefly mentioned in the introduction at the airport. She's currently sick and can't attend.

Thanks, and sorry for forgetting everything. Don't know why that's the case for me right now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So Krauss is a gigantic rear end in a top hat who'd either steal from his family, or throw them under the bus just to save himself some money.

Since this is a spiritual successor to Higurashi, I'm betting he dies first. It's not a spoiler to assume that people die, right? I'm not familiar with this story.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Okay, I admit it: I feel bad for Maria now. But only because her mother keeps trying to smack the anime out of her mouth when it clearly hasn't been working for years. There's gotta be some sort of speech therapist that Eva could send Maria to, right?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Finally. Something's happening that isn't financial, child, or sexual abuse.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Any bets on who's gonna bite it first?

Krauss, because gently caress that guy too.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Lot of different sides to the characters this time.

Except Krauss.

Krauss is always an rear end in a top hat.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Welp, looks like Shannon is loving dead.

Welp, looks like George is gonna have to settle for Kanon, now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

alcharagia posted:

MAN OF SORROW chikai yo utage yo

...what.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

tiistai posted:

sacrifice sheep to god

Oh.

I still don't see how that relates, but you know what? Whatever. It's cool. I no longer care.

So, are the Ushiromiya family so hosed up that they have their hired help refer to themselves as "furniture"? Because that's exactly what I'm seeing. Kinzo seems to be channeling Archer in this regard, because no one else would have their goddamned servants think of themselves as sub-human.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Welp.

Hmm.

Seriously. I got nothing. This came way out of left field.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Option 2. Looks nicer, overall.

Maria, I have half a mind to slap that goddamned look off your face right now. That's a messed up face. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this kid? It's really screaming 'Autism', but something just seems... off, about her. Something inhuman, you know what I mean?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

little_firebird posted:

I think the PS3 version took its inspiration from the DEEN anime.

versus the original sprites, as Dr Pepper mentioned, only giving her this little knowing smirk

I'll also vote for Option 2

...Holy poo poo, how terrible these are.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

Simple. He's still in the study.

This does seem like the most appropriate answer. Knowing Kinzo's character, he probably has his window barred off to prevent people from entering that way. But in that same train of thought, wouldn't it seem appropriate that he had a secret room installed without the knowledge of any of the servants?

In regards to the phone idea, in theory it's plausible, but who picked up the phone in the first place, then?

All I know is, Eva is also a bitch. She really has it out for Natsuhi, and I don't know why.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

little_firebird posted:

Kinzo and the witch are in cahoots; I'd stake my life on it!

I'll also stake his life on it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

...huh.

Probably because I'm using Pale Moon, which... might as well be Firefox from 2010, yeah. :cripes: I hate that I'm using this gimped piece of crap because actual Firefox lags the poo poo out of my system.

Have you tried Waterfox? It might help.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So yeah it appears the reason Maria is so ok with this is because she believes in the witch and that everyone will be resurrected in the golden land. And in turn everyone will be better and nicer there.

There's naïve children, and then there's Maria.

You think this is symptomatic of her mental issues? It really does reek of it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I really have no way to respond to this ending. Everyone dies, except for the kids, who are eaten by demons, and Beatrice wins. The end.

Holy loving poo poo, where the hell has this story been my entire life?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
As a man who also believes in curbing superstitions and denying magic, I'm on board with Battler on this one. gently caress that witch, we're playing her game and we're going to win.

Also, please don't tell me stuff that happens later. I have no clue how this is going to play out.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So there was something I saw in the opening and I don't know whether or not I'm seeing it properly, but are Battler and Beatrice embracing each other in one of those images?!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just want to clarify something here: is the goal here to prove that the killings could have happened by means other than magic, or is the goal to prove that witches don't exist? Because I'm having a legit hard time trying to figure out how to explain the latter, considering Kinzo's pathetic breakdown (again).

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, in that case, I'm really resonating with what resurgam40 said. Considering the relationship that Beatrice and Shannon have, I'm not buying that she would have killed her unless something big happened. Maybe Shannon saw something that she shouldn't have, but there are other answers.

One answer I figure could exist is that Shannon angered Beatrice beforehand, and she took it out on Shannon during the incident. Personally, I don't really dig that idea because Beatrice doesn't seem like the kind of person who wouldn't gently caress someone up immediately if they wronged her and knew she existed. The only other idea I can come up with right now is that Beatrice didn't gently caress Shannon and the other 5 up, or at least kill them, and in fact, was not involved with their deaths. So what I'm trying to say is that a new person, a 20th person, may have infiltrated Rokkenjima without most of the character's knowledge, and wasn't a mere human.

Someone please point out fallacies I missed in my reasoning. Because the existence of witches is kind of difficult to ignore at this point, but some deaths aren't adding up considering certain relationships established here.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

This hurts my soul.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Unless Kanon covers for her like crazy (which he might not), Jessica's gonna get in a lot of trouble at home. Again.

All of this feels really depressing considering that everyone dies at the end, but it's just as depressing that Kanon won't allow himself to be a regular teenager.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Holy poo poo, curse my optimistic naivety. What the hell are you, Beatrice?! So what now, do we see the October massacre with additional character movements being revealed to us, or is it the Higurashi thing?

Actually, don't answer that.

But I do wanna say that I'm pretty sure Battler did the right thing by getting the gently caress out of the Ushiromiya family, this isn't healthy for anyone. The only Ushiromiya that isn't treated like poo poo is George, but I don't know how this is affecting him either. At least his dad is relatively chill, all things considered. Jessica doesn't even have the chance to have an honest, normal high-school life because of literally every official family member breathing down her neck. And the servants are dehumanized, which hella sucks for your mental state.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I understand your pain, I hosed myself up and got a case of tendinitis list year that never fully went away. Hell, I keep my brace next to me when I sleep, just in case. And pills.

I really do appreciate the effort you're putting into this, Prof. I just wish i could understand what was truly going on, or at least remember all the subtle character dynamics that are different due to new information being revealed to us.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So sometime help me out with understanding Rudolf here: what did his company do that is forcing their hand so? My eyes glaze over when it comes to business talk, that's why I'm still having difficulties.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I highly doubt that the Ushiromiyas would go get any form of counselling, even if they did realize that the environment they live in is toxic as hell.

I mean, it's Japan. You get ostracized for even thinking about getting counselling. I know that Ryukishi07 knows this too, being a former social worker or something.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

You speak as if that stigma weren't present even here, in the good old US of A, where therapy is only acceptable if one is of a certain race and earning bracket.

You're right, that was pretty lovely of me to have said that. But I am serious in my worry about the lack of therapy that Rosa and Maria, at the very least, are going to get.

What really gets me is that Kinzo created this new family, his own lineage to nurture, and not only does he show that he is physically incapable of giving any shits about them, he seems to instill the idea into his children that they have to be cutthroat as hell. All the while, he pleads to Beatrice to come back to him, like a dog begging for its master, completely unlike how he prefers his own spawn to behave.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

oath2order posted:

Man, this thread is really blase about the fact that Beato put on a suit and is just strolling around the island. What does it take to impress you people?

When I see what impresses me now, I'll say it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So that's the kind of person Maria wants to be when she grows up.

Welp.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So it turns out some stranger has been hanging out with Maria, unbeknownst to Rosa, for several years, teaching her strange things. And the stranger is associated with something that horrified Rosa as a child.

God drat, their lives suck.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I meant from Rosa's perspective.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I get the feeling that this may be foreshadowing into George's character. We've seen a lot of Hideyoshi in him, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any Eva in him. What would happen, you think, if Shannon declined the ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

Now we have learned Beatrice's true nature:

She's an internet troll.

I know, what a bitch.

• Locked thread