Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Whoo, I am into this. Although, reiteration for people who skip some of the OP and read the thread, because I know there are some of you out there: Please, do not spoil anything. Not specific event spoilers, obviously, but also no "This scene coming up :allears:," no "You might think differently about this character in the future," no spoilers disguised as speculation. As Professor said, a huge amount of the fun is watching people fumble their way through the obfuscated mystery events, and if you're pre-spoiled, it's really a lame move to deprive others of the True Mystery Experience.

That being said: ProfessorProf, what's your opinion on me posting a Polsy link to the PS3 opening? I prefer it, but it has some confusing flashes to events that show the... surprising directions Umineko can go in. I don't consider it spoilers, and I think it might even enhance the experience, but I wanted to get your opinion first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Alright, here you go. (It's the chorus that gives me the chills; I'm a sucker for a good chorus)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Aaand with that video any chance of me getting the game probably just went out the window. Maria seems absolutely insufferable and acts more like a 4-5 year old than a 9 year old.

Absolutely. Did you watch the video to hear her voice, too? It was a major factor, for me.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

While it lays a lot of important groundwork for the amazing parts to follow, Episode 1 is definitely the weakest part of Umineko - which is a shame, because it's the part you see first. As I'm sure you've noticed, it suffers from a far-too-slow opening before the fun starts.

While I totally agree, I noticed something very unusual a little bit further in the game: It's actually, to me, introducing the characters very well. I could list off all the introduced characters and remember important personality traits about them without them feeling like caricatures. Pretty standard for a classical mystery, but not so much for Japanese Animes.

Qrr posted:

I think this has been a yearly thing for a long time, but battler skipped the last 6 years because he was living with the other side of his family until they died.

Then he came back and decided to hit on anything that moves,except that he apparently expects to get slapped and complains when he isn't.

It's not him hitting on them, he's trying to play to a classic pop culture stereotype, and getting disappointed when they don't respond in kind.

Like if he had posed dramatically and said "So, Chosen One... you have come to defeat me? You will find that the power of the Dark Lord is not so easily overcome!" and the other person responded with "uh yeah okay bro," he's trying to play around with his relatives and it's not working out. The fact that talking about their Sweet Tiddies is considered playing around is a one of those especially obvious cultural differences; it's just not as big a deal in many situations in Japan Glorious Nippon.

quick edit: Oh yeah, I'd apply the updated patch for the stuff you don't have done, Prof. The updated translation and visual effects are totally worth it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

:tinfoil: is a perfectly acceptable response to most of Umineko, yeah, and especially all that stuff that just happened. But Maria speaking in the third person isn't a translation issue, it's a non-translation issue; it happens a lot more in Japan because it's considered 'cute' or a sign of innocence. Or, as it happens, stupidity.

Uuu~! Uuuu~!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Prof, have you considered Tindeck uploads for the music? It's a popular choice, and works well for LPs like this where you often want to change tracks on a per-scene basis.

(I sure have been sounding bossy in this thread, haven't I?)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Hideyoshi basically just telling Eva to shut up and that this is NOT the time to give George poo poo warms my heart, you know?

Also,

Battler posted:

I guess I just got passed the gene that makes you cry when your parents are dead!

is probably the best excuse I have ever heard. It's all genetics, you know?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

"Battler" posted:

Ha! After thinking this way, I really want to tell that bastard to stop taking me so lightly. Who would just dance to that tune? If you're told 'Please be scared', you can't just say 'Really? Sure thing!'

Battler is honestly a really great character.

"Battler" posted:

I joined up with a little gang of kids trying to form a Earth Defense Force, saying we'd help protect peace on earth. My face turns red when I remember how, during what we called battle practice, we would chant EDF! EDF!

Like, seriously.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Hey Prof, official thread backseat LPer here again! Would it be possible to get clean, no-text shots of the crime-diagrams that show up later? It's no big deal about these ones, but occasionally the diagram is actually helpful.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

They DID ask her many of those things, though. They asked what she looked like, and I'm pretty sure they asked what she was wearing. And this time just recently, they asked her "Who was it?" and she replied "psh, you wouldn't believe me." And they came back with "But who was it REALLY" and Maria just went "BEATRICE, OKAY!?"

I'm pretty sure that, to Maria, she could see it was, to name a random name, Uncle Fester, but that his demeanor and behavior CLEARLY pointed to it REALLY being Beatrice, the real witch who totally exists. So the fact that it appeared to be Uncle Fester is of little consequence (not to mention that acknowledging that would be implicitly taking a step forward on the slippery slope of WITCHES AREN'T REAL).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Primarily speculation, but I think it's really that she just doesn't want to even talk about how this person looked different from Beatrice, because even that crack would open up the possibility of this person not being Beatrice. A kind of denial/neurosis.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Well, Higurashi was chock full of time loop shenanigans and murder too, so if that's the case here, at least the author's writing to form.

Well, really, it HAD a time loop, and it didn't really affect the story or events from anyone else's perspective. As it should be.

Also

Uroshimiya Battler posted:

For ordinary poor people, polygamy isn't only viewed negatively from a moral perspective. It is also an unmaintainable financial situation.

pfffffffff

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Thesaya posted:

I am annoyed at this bit. I prefer the violence and mystery bits, romance really isn't my thing.

Might I direct you to the thread title, gentleperson? :colbert:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

Regarding manga, I'd suggest REAL, which is about people adjusting to being paraplegic. Boku no Mari/Inside Mari seems like Dumb Anime Premise at first, but is a stunningly good story that might fit your criteria.

I believe you mean Boku wa Mari. Looking for Boku no Mari will take you to Boku no Marie, a manga about a guy who makes a robot identical to his crush.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Forgive me if I missed a comment about it before, but: Prof, are you using a text dump with a different translation? I notice some of the dialogue from the video and the text in the post itself doesn't match up.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

All y'all talking poo poo about Battler had best watch yourself, because he's stepping up to the plate in earnest now.

(...Beato is also great, though)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have heard of the portopia serial murder case (Old game I believe) though I know nothing about it. Who is Yasu?

Edit: Looked it up. Yasu is your assistant in that game.

Also just noticed that this new translation you are using got rid of Battler's It's Useless, it's all Useless.

I also lament the lack of "Say it in red!"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

oath2order posted:

So, who are Bernkastel and Lambdadelta? Or more specifically, who are they in terms of call backs to Higurashi?

(higurashi post)

Of course, that's just one way of looking at things. A valid way, but not the whole of existence.

Because magic and timeloops and all that crazy poo poo aren't real, you see. :colbert:

Edit:

resurgam40 posted:

vvv Ah, but we've already heard from Lady Bernestakle's story that one thousand years might not be one thousand years as we measure time; time is weird as witches reckon it, because it could be a repeated time frame, or just through existing in a dimension outside of time. Honestly, the way some of these witches have talked about times passage or lack thereof, I don't think even they know how old they actually are and just throw out the "thousand year old" thing because it sounds imposing.

It's actually pretty common in China and Japan to just use numbers for formality's sake, or for a good-sounding title. See the Man'yoshu, or the Ten Thousand Leaves [of paper], a collection of poetry that has about 5,000 poems in it. Or the classic "48 Positions," which started with somewhat less than 48 of them. Ancient Greece did this too, using 10,000 as "just kind of a whole lot, y'know?"

It could easily be her using the title The Thousand-Year Witch and just meaning "Hey, I've been around for a while."

John Lee fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 29, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

forgot to start a new post when I was done with the quote ,friggin' hell I'm doing this more and more, I AM INCOMPETENT

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Pretty sure Beatrice wasn't trying to make a legit formal proof out of the whole thing, but more making a joke or wry comment. "Remember you were talking about that Devil's Proof? Well, here's a devil haha see what I did there anyways magic is real"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

D3m3 posted:

Kinzo is hilariously bad at question-dodging, which is the story under-reported in this wave of realizing that he's incredibly scummy. But really, his idea of how to avoid answering "why am I trapped here exactly" is "Wow you know what'd go great with this weather it's tea I'll go get some." Kinzo's valuable skills are apparently Summoner, OH DESIRE, Risky Business, Making Tables... And not, at all, in any way, Actually Dealing With People.

You forgot BEATORICHIIIIIIII

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Gotta say, it's pretty cute how Beatrice got mad at Battler for not wanting to hear stories of her past, then got sorry about it and wrote an elaborate story of her past into the game anyway.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Thank you for the TIPS post! I also remember one where it was focused on Gohda in the last LP that made me like him even more.

I'm assuming the reason why Beatrice is nor considered a witch like Bernkastel or Lambdadelta is because Beatrice's magic is based off on uncertainty of the truth (being able to not be proven/disproven), rather than Higurashi's looping time shenanigans being proven as reality. So long as no one is able to disprove that the things that Beatrice does is not real, then Beatrice is alive and powerful to all hell. They are Schrödinger's witch.

The others such as Bernkastel and Lambdadelta have powers that are objectively true, independent of the viewer's belief towards magic. So Beatrice can be both way more OP than them by nature of encompassing everything that is not understood, but also really weak if someone is able to clear the truth.

I am not intending to start a bickering match, but I think both of these statements could also be easily seen as untrue! It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

The setup is ridiculously favoring Battler as well, and it has from the beginning- he literally CANNOT LOSE if he doesn't accept witches, and has been portrayed as a stubborn, never-say-die hardhead from the beginning.

Then again, he can't win, either, which is a poor outcome for his helper/patron/whatever.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Sometimes accepting the hard truth is better than settling for the easy lie.

To be fair, Ange's working very hard for these lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Lycaeon posted:

magic. . .is now insinuating itself into everyone and everything

"Now?"

• Locked thread