Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

Qrr posted:

The odd thing there is the man who marries Jessica won't be an Ushiromiya (unless she did what Eva did). That would make the heir not a member of the family, and would mean the end of it being the Ushiromiya family.

In Japan, it's not unusual for a man marrying into a family with a higher social class than his to take the name of his wife instead of the other way around, so it would still be the Ushiromiya family. Eva having to fight to do it probably has more to do with her rivalry with Krauss and the Ushiromiya family being full of sexist assholes that don't like Eva for not "acting like a woman should," i.e. shutting up and just doing whatever the men tell her.

Which isn't to say Eva isn't also a sexist rear end in a top hat, what with considering Natsuhi to be a "borrowed womb" like dear old daddy does.

The Ushiromiya family is really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

*applauds resurgam40 unseen*

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

The only good thing about Kinzo is that you can accuse him of basically anything and it'd fit his character.

...As long as it doesn't involve being nice to people, anyway. And even then.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

iirc, I think they said Kinzo didn't come to Rokkenjima until after he was an adult, when he made his fortune? Am I conflating things?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

tiistai posted:

If you want to see, you better do.

I always figured it was more of a fitting "nickname" than an unintentional mistranslation.

It's more of a fandom nickname for the second half, yes.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Of course, there is no extra person on the island. That wouldn't be satisfying at all. Note the wording of the previous red text: there are no more than 18 people, not there are exactly 18 people. There are only 17, which is not more than 18.

Neither is 1. Battler is alone on the island and hallucinating everything. The golden butterflies are clearly signs of being infected by nanomachines.

Lycaeon posted:

C) No. Kanon could see Beatrice too, and there's no such thing as a shared, detailed hallucination. Also, Shannon dies quite messily and early in all three episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_%C3%A0_deux I'm sure in actuality it doesn't work quite like I'm suggesting, but the game's already fudging split personalities and having separate personas with Maria.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Lycaeon posted:

Edit: If Shannon somehow found out she was actually an Ushiromiya it would've made her resentment and frustration over being mistreated explode. It would be the loneliest possible experience in the world - being alone and abused by people who are supposed to be your family. Serving people who are supposed to be your family.

Don't forget the whole "dating someone who's supposed to be your family" thing with George you mentioned earlier. Do we really wanna go there on top of everything else?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Be careful what you wish for, Battler :ohdear:

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is that stuff in English or Japanese in the original? If it's Japanese, what does it look like? (I'm curious if more or less of it is obscured.)

Japanese in the original, and it's about the same either way, as tiisai said. That said, it's probably worth noting that the lines swap between two different "I" pronouns. "Please kill me" and "just kill me and [bring] my story to an [end]" both use "watashi," while "try to stop me" uses "warawa" (which Beatrice uses).

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Pretty much if a woman is using "warawa" in Japanese media, they're saying they're old as balls/immortal.

Also the kanji for it literally means "concubine." :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Because a lot of people are wrong. Seven is the best. :colbert:

Quoted for truth. Though EP6 was a close second for me.

• Locked thread