Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I forgot how soon Maria's characterization gets turned on its side in Episode 1, I thought there was still a ways to go on the "annoying little kid!" train. Poor kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I do wish there was a place to chat about the game on a re-read-through, I'm sure there's a lot of build-up I'm missing. I came into the series so late, there wasn't a whole lot of discussion going on anymore.

Maybe like a Discord chat or something would be possible?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

That's something I do like Umineko for, how the characters react to and adapted to living under Kinzo's strict patriarchal rule.

Really, all the main adult characters are well developed, in my opinion. Higurashi had a lot of focus on fired-up kids, so seeing fully realized adult characters was a big draw to me.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Maria seems pretty sure she'll see her mom and everyone else again, anyway.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

chiasaur11 posted:

We'll need at least one talking dog to render a firm verdict.

That's a rude way to refer to Battler.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's getting sued by a bigger american company. For what does not really matter too much. Appearntly he infringed on their brand or something. Anyway they just got news from their lawyer that another company that was sued under similar pretext as theirs lost their trial using more or less same arguments as they were going to use. This was also not as good as Rudolf felt that other company had a better case then them as well.

Anyway the company suing Rudolf is willing to reach a settlement. Appearntly because there was a shakeup in leadership and they want to get a lot of troublesome stuff over quickly to focus on internal matters. The predicted amount for the settlement is high though not as high as it would be if they lost the trial, but Rudolf's company has not yet reached the step were they will be able to get the money easily. Getting the money needed for the settlement is why Rudolf has teamed up with Eva and Rosa to extort money from Krauss.

McRudolf's fast food was not prepared for the American market or courts.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

resurgam40 posted:

Truth be told, I was thinking mostly of this line:

Prof was pointing out you mixed Jessica's and Shannon's names in that post :ssh:.

The Ushiromiyas have enough issues, no need to invent new ones :v:.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Relevant update about the epitaph and what it might be.

ProfessorProf posted:

:siren:Video: The Letter:siren:

BGM: Fishy Aroma

"I welcome you to Rokkenjima, members of the Ushiromiya family. I am serving Kinzo-sama as the Alchemy counsellor for this house, and my name is Beatrice."
"...How silly...!"
"Shut up!"
"I have been serving him as stipulated by a long-lasting contract; but this very day, that contract has been pronounced terminated by Kinzo-sama. In consequence, from this day on, please acknowledge my resignation as Alchemy counsellor for this house."
"...How foolish, what nonsense...!"
"I, I can't stand to listen to it...!"

"R, ridiculous!!"
"...I, it's been ridiculous from the very beginning..."
"That must be the main point, right? Doesn't it sound just like one of those contracts with the devil? Like, when the contract is ended, it comes back to collect interest. Is she trying to grab some retirement money for her old age or something? What a cheeky witch."
"Battler-kun, you shouldn't make fun of it now..."

Battler made a face as if to ask, "If I can't make fun of this, what can I make fun of?" At the same time, some of the adults' faces were pale, while others looked completely shocked.

"...A special clause...?"
"Wh, what is it...?!"
"Special clause. When the contract is terminated, Beatrice is within her rights to recover the gold and interest accumulated. However, should someone discover the aforementioned gold, Beatrice shall renounce all rights to its recovery for all time. From now on, the collecting of interest shall take place; however, if but a single person fulfills the special clause, I will give back even the interest that I already took. Furthermore, as the first step of the collecting, I have taken possession of the symbol of the inheritance, the Ring of the Head of the Ushiromiya Family. I ask you to please confirm this by the wax seal."
"...Does it really say that...?! That Father would relinquish his ring is unthinkable...!"

Krauss was staring at the sealing wax as though he was trying to burn a hole through it. Eva and Rudolf were doing the same over his shoulder!

"I, I'm sure I had the odd feeling that something was missing from Kinzo's finger when we were playing chess..."
"Doctor Nanjo! Don't say something so careless just because of a vague memory!"
"We can't prove its authenticity here. We can only determine whether Father has really handed over his ring and whether this letter tells the truth by asking him directly."
"Th, that's right. It's just as Kyrie-san says..."
"...Do you really think... that Kinzo-san will tell you...? After all, that person's thoughts are sometimes impossible to predict using common sense..."
"No matter what happens, it's still nonsense! In the first place, the illusion of gold itself is a fake. If you want to talk about nonexistent gold, leave me out of it!"
"But, this is the witch speaking, right? About how the inheritance and all of the assets would be handed over to the one who finds the gold, right? So, could this mean that Beatrice-sama is Father's legal advisor, or maybe in charge of his funds...?"
"W, we can't possibly trust some strange person who entrusts such a suspicious paper to a child!"
"Aniki... let's be frank. Is it possible that someone you don't know is actually handling Father's assets?!"
"N, no, that's impossible! As the agent to the head, I am in control over all of Father's assets! There shouldn't be anyone who can freely do that without me knowing it!"
"So, in other words, there are some assets that you are not in control of, Krauss nii-san?"
"How foolish, there's no way something like that exists!"
"...It does exist. Some of Father's property that Nii-san doesn't control."
"There is no way that something like that exists!!"
"No, it does. That'd be Father's, no, Beatrice's hidden gold!!"
"Let me make it simple. In short, Father has some trusted confidante that Aniki doesn't even know about. Furthermore, this person has always been in charge of watching and managing the gold. It's possible that this person is a dilettante of a very rich family who provided his financing in the first place under the guise of a devil's contract."
"...Could it be that this confidante called Beatrice is trying to test which of the sons and daughters is most fitting to be financed by her gold?"

What Kyrie said was something that all of the siblings wanted to be made clear. Upon reflection, they realized that Kinzo's strange epitaph had always hung in the hall beneath the portrait of the witch, and while it had long been whispered that the one who solved the puzzle would receive everything, no one had ever clearly stated it. It was just something that everyone had hoped might be true. That had, right here, right now, been clearly expressed by Beatrice's letter! It clearly specified that everything of the Ushiromiya family would be given to the one who found the gold.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Fabulousvillain posted:

I remember Maria complaining when Rosa took her letter away that "it's the invitation to the Golden Land" or whatever it's called, it begs questioning whether Maria had opened and read the letter already or if she was just assuming it's some sort of invitation.

She's just repeating what Beatrice told her when she gave her the envelope.

ProfessorProf posted:

The witch pulled a western envelope from her pocket and gave it to Maria. However, when Maria made to open it, the witch stopped her.

"You must not. The time will soon come that you may open it, but until then, you definitely must not. Take good care of it. It will become an invitation calling you to the Golden Land."

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's possible and likely, but at the same time, fairly tight narratives don't usually dispense mostly useless information, either.

What I'm saying is they're totally children of the corn!

In that case, I propose that all of Jessica's classmates snuck onto the island to kill her and her family for beating them up with brass knuckles :witch: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If we believe in the witch, surely a miracle will happen and this page will travel to a beautiful Golden land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The poor lady might not have been expecting Rosa to fly into a rage so suddenly: for all she knew she was going to investigate a case of neglect, it doesn't seem like Rosa beats Maria in front of anyone but family.

She did try to hold Rosa in place a few times, and if Rosa had started beating Maria senseless right there I hope she would have done more.

• Locked thread