Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I put olive oil in my chocolate milk because I like them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jose posted:

most olive oil is some other kind of vegetable oil with colouring and flavouring added to make it taste like olive oil :thumbsup:

Sadly true. It's those goddamn olive oil fat cats trying to drive up the price of olive oil like they're the loving Hunt Brothers or some poo poo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

most olive oil is some other kind of vegetable oil with colouring and flavouring added to make it taste like olive oil :thumbsup:

I don't believe you.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Just don't buy imported olive oil. Problem solved.

The Italian/Greek stuff is 99% controlled by mafia who adulterate it sure but that doesn't mean you can't get it elsewhere.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
plus like everything else america took it and made it a lot better for cheaper, see also wine.

e: and cheese. and beer

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you did none of those things you american swine

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Zzulu posted:

you did none of those things you american swine

Wisconsin alone did half of those things.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've cooked with olive oil for so long I honestly don't really know how to cook without it. Like I have a bottle of vegetable oil and I hear coconut oil is healthy but how the gently caress do I use it? I just put some olive oil down and heat it up and then boom tasty food.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

I've cooked with olive oil for so long I honestly don't really know how to cook without it. Like I have a bottle of vegetable oil and I hear coconut oil is healthy but how the gently caress do I use it? I just put some olive oil down and heat it up and then boom tasty food.

for coconut oil you put some in a big pot, get it nice and hot, then you throw in some popcorn kernels and cover. there will be some loud noises, do not be frightened. when the loud noises subside cover in enough salt and butter to choke a horse and eat the contents.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I thought we weren't supposed to fry stuff in olive oil because it has a low burn temp.

I do it anyway idk.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Olive Oil is a loving scam, run by a cartel.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

diabeetz posted:

I thought we weren't supposed to fry stuff in olive oil because it has a low burn temp.

I do it anyway idk.

So don't burn it, easily solved.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey honey I'm at the grocery store buying olive oil but all they have on these shelves is some EVOO garbage that doesn't look right.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

sounds like you are a pretty poo poo cook, because olive oil definitely isn't ideal for cooking many things, especially anything cooked at a very high temperature because olive oil has such a low smoke point

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Theophany posted:

Sadly true. It's those goddamn olive oil fat cats trying to drive up the price of olive oil like they're the loving Hunt Brothers or some poo poo.

Just letting you know that I got your Hunt Bros reference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jose posted:

The USDA maintains strict standards for olive oil labeling, but being regulated by them is totally voluntary. So just buy a brand that lets the USDA regulate them and you'll get the real deal. I suggest Pompeian.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JakeP posted:

sounds like you are a pretty poo poo cook, because olive oil definitely isn't ideal for cooking many things, especially anything cooked at a very high temperature because olive oil has such a low smoke point
Its high enough you can usually do what you need to do, very near non-clarified butter. Medium high heat is usually looked down upon because even if it isn't smoking its not going to retain much flavor by the time its done, which can be a financial tragedy depending how much you pay for your olive oil. But unless you are like deep frying or curing hot surfaces you can get away with olive oil.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What kind of oil should be used for browning carrots, celery, and onions for use in chicken-vegetable soup? please answer quickly because time is of the essence

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What kind of oil should be used for browning carrots, celery, and onions for use in chicken-vegetable soup? please answer quickly because time is of the essence

Butter. Wtf is wrong with you, oil?!?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
garlic olive oil best olive oil

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Butter. Wtf is wrong with you, oil?!?

that's what i was planning on going with initially but somebody over here was backseat cooking and saying olive oil makes everything better so i should use olive oil. i've shamed them appropriately.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Roylicious posted:

Just don't buy imported olive oil. Problem solved.

The Italian/Greek stuff is 99% controlled by mafia who adulterate it sure but that doesn't mean you can't get it elsewhere.

This. The Italians keep the good poo poo for themselves.
Buy Spanish or Californian olive oil.
I use the lighter Spanish stuff that comes in a can to cook. The darker Californian stuff for salads and such.

Olive oil has a low smoke point so for for high heat I use peanut oil which is vastly superior to any other vegetable oil.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think any cooking can be done with either butter, lard, or olive oil. Those three cover literally everything. Cheap vegetable oils can get the job done though.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Dave_Indeed posted:

I dated a really hot Italian girl in college and she used to make this appetizer that was: fresh mozzarella, tomato slice, oregano, olive oil.

Was p good.

Also let me butt gently caress her.

Euro girls are mad frisky when they get to the US. I used to hook up with a French girl who was always down to do butt stuff.

I think it's a form of diplomacy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Emulsify an egg yolk in it and make mayo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tumble posted:

Euro girls are mad frisky when they get to the US. I used to hook up with a French girl who was always down to do butt stuff.

I think it's a form of diplomacy.

Stop bragging about sex having in a good food thread pls

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

notZaar posted:

Stop bragging about sex having in a good food thread pls

You know olive oil can be used as anal lube in a pinch.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
little olive oil on bread, little pinch of salt and some wine maybe some big spanish olives

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

You know olive oil can be used as anal lube in a pinch.

Ḑ̶̵̺͇̥͐̍ͪ̇̉̍͐̎͐ͤ͊͆̀̓̕ȋ̸ͣ̎ͦ͒̉̓̏͞͏̷̺̗͙͚̱̼̹͔̰͇̭͖́ͅd̹͉̬̆̂̋̿̊ͯͥ̾̀͋̉͌̌́̚͢͜͢͠ ̴̧̮͇͇͕̬̮̤̘̗ͧ͐̌͗s̸ͮ̾ͨ̊̏ͥ҉̵̮̰̯͚̦͚̫̭̼̠͈̩̪̟̤͟͜ͅo͉̲̮̳ͮ̏͂͋̋͒͌͢͠͠ͅm̬̼̬̣ͥͤͦ̇ͮ͂̾ͧ̃̋͗̑̎͂̚͘e̵ͣ̎̇̆̈̇̆̊ͨ̒ͭ̀͌̏҉͇̙̼̗̗͙̥̖̦͙̰͕͓̺̕͝ò̸̴̢̳͇͔̦͚͖͔̖̬̜̲̖̙̩̪͙̩̣̀ͫ͊̏͆̋́̋̚͜͝ͅn̡̡ͮ̅̂̉ͩ́̽͑͗͆́͠͏̘̫̩̱̹̙̤̖̺̪͙̣̼̠̬ͅe̶̮̗̟ͮ̐̉͆͗͂̔̚ ̸̡͈̥̥̱̘͚̩̘̙̱̥͇͒ͪ͂̓̔͐ͫ̓͒̐͗ͬ̈̈ͫ͑̒̂̚s̄̏͐ͦ̎̇̂͏̶̶̴͎̪̞̩͎͟ͅaͮ̽͊̎҉̨̪̯͙͚̜̼̤̮̳͓͍ŷ̧̦͉͇̜͔̻̤̗̲̞̠̈̿̉̀̔̀ͣ̑͑̅̓͂͒͐̂̉͢ͅ ̸̜͕̙̭̻̻͔̟̲̖͙͉ͧ͗ͭ̔ͫͤ̈́̽ͦ̉͆̎͗͘͟ͅƠ̾̂͂̏҉̵̧̙͇̼͝L̴̛͐ͥͧ͒͆ͩ́҉̰̗͕̺̻̺̹̹͕̦̳̻̺̣́I̙̩̻͕͍̣̔͛́ͤͪ͢͠Vͮ̓̌̒̅͐̒ͣ̎͋͒ͪ̓̃͐͢҉̲̯͓̺̺͈̱͔̰̱̳̭́͡E͆̏̄͋̍́ͤͪ̊̓͏̷̸̡̤͕̳̤̖̤̠̫̜̝̩͙̰͎͝ ̷̵͕̝͈̟͇̜̮̦͎͔̯̻̤̍̓̐̈̎̌͑ͪͤ́͐̾̀́̋̐͌̐͠Ȏ̷̗͇͈̮̲͖̓̈̒͒̾͑͋͂́͑̆͋̀̆̿̽̚̚̕I̛̺̰̳͓̬̞̘͖̺̘̺̰̘̬̬̩̙͗̔͊̅̊ͣ̉̃̀͊̍̀͞L͙̫̖̫͙̊̂̈̀̂̇͑ͦ̈́̐̽̓̕͢͜ͅ?͍̩̥͍̻̭ͥͬ̉̎ͫ͛ͬͦ̍̎̀̚͘?̢̠̫͇̹̥̺̝̤̫̲͕͎͇̦̻́ͬͩͨͩ̀̉̐͗͘͞?̷̬͖͈̮̮̣͖̭̙̂̾̒̆͂̀ͪ͒͟͟͜ͅͅͅ

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Olive oil is kind of weird because somehow people got the impression it's healthy rather than just having a better kind of fats than other oils, it's still just super dense and you should not be using a lot of it. Also it's kind of mediocre for panfrying stuff. Decent for like oven roasted vegetables or w/e tho.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
just match what oil you need to what you're cooking

sweet -> coconut oil

near eastern spice palate -> olive oil

far eastern spice palate -> sesame oil

american food -> fuckin anything whatever

edit: i don't agree with coconut oil curries

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ArbitraryC posted:

Olive oil is kind of weird because somehow people got the impression it's healthy rather than just having a better kind of fats than other oils, it's still just super dense and you should not be using a lot of it. Also it's kind of mediocre for panfrying stuff. Decent for like oven roasted vegetables or w/e tho.

olive oil is much healthier than other oils. its superior flavor brightens even the darkest day, and nothing is healthier than a smile

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Does it have an affect on silicon? Research, importany, etc.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
why doesn't olive oil taste like olive?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jesus Christ posted:

why doesn't olive oil taste like olive?

Sounds like you're not eating good olives my goon sire.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
real talk, this one time I didnt have time for breakfast so I drank 1 dl of olive oil which was like 800 calories in one gulp. It didn't taste much but it wasn't good. It felt wrong to swallow so much fat

it felt really wrong

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You say that and yet drinking egg drop soup feels so right.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Egg drop poop

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So for impromptu anal in the kitchen, do you go for olive oil, Crisco, or butter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
def the butter. Grab a stick and slather on like buttering a corn cob

• Locked thread