Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hello Star Wars goons, I'm spending most of the holiday season marathoning Clone Wars so I can begin then binging Rebels, mostly because I loves me some Thrawn and I really like the idea of Ahsoka's role in the tragedy of Anakin's fall and wanted to see the whole thing. I'm up to the Order 66 arc in TCW (2 episodes into it) and the scene of Tup dying knowing he was free of the mission was loving brutal. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Okay, now done with everything that is actually fully animated from TCW, and the Order 66 story was very tragic (though I'd been slightly spoiled, plus, well, y'know, foregone conclusion due to movies) but had a really clumsy misstep where I feel like it would've been way stronger to actually see the confrontation that led to Fives attacking the Emperor. It would also have allowed them to have him find out the specifics of the plan rather than the weird middle ground where he's right, but realistically has no evidence nor does he actually know what's going on. He basically knows a bad thing is being done and the chips are to blame, but not much else.

I felt most bad for Shaak Ti. She does everything right, trying to involve the Council and get the Kaminoans out of things but bureaucracy stops her.

It was still probably the best individual story arc of the series, especially if you include the previous Domino Squad episodes as part of it.

I also really liked the Mandalore stuff, Ahsoka, Anakin, Maul and Ventress' character arcs and the story with the Jedi kids making their sabres.

One thing watching the show at such a compressed rate did was highlight how dumb the anachronic ordering of episodes was. I'm fairly sure Cad Bane's appearances are literally backwards in order. It also highlighted a couple of issues the show has, one being a flaw most SW spin-offs have, that of being incestuously reverent to a very small reference pool of the original films. The phrase "I've got a bad feeling about this" brings bile to my throat now.
The other was the odd way the show seemed to use the time-jump between seasons to both add nuance and depth to Ahsoka, and yet immediately began objectifying her. In the space of what felt like a dozen episodes she was leered at, dressed in sexy slavegirl attire and felt up by multiple baddies, both male and female. It was a little disconcerting and disheartening.

The cameos of future important players was a mixed bag. Tarkin worked pretty drat well. Ackbar slightly less so. And Chewie's was basically unnecessary and would've been an easy way to introduce a new Wookiee.

Narcissus1916 posted:

In other news, I tried to watch the Clone Wars movie with the kidnapped Hutt. Holy hell is that awful.

If it helps, the pink Truman Capote Hutt gets murdered in a later season?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing is that we know Anakin gets redeemed in the end, so he needs to feel sympathetic to some extent. I think they thought the forbidden love angle was enough, but it's executed so poorly that Anakin comes off alternately as an abusive boyfriend who SHOULDN'T be in a relationship and as a total Nice Guy dink who does not understand how the hu-man girl works.

It's why I think the Clone Wars series works a lot better in his arc, showing how he loses faith in the Jedi while buying into the propaganda about the war that Palpatine feeds him. Beats like him lashing out after being lied to when Obi-Wan faked his own death or when the Council expel Ahsoka from a combo of politics and trial by public opinion make him understandable AND sets the stage for him being vulnerable to a more 'nurturing' father figure like Sideous.

Oh, I've started Rebels now, and... I'm supposed to loathe Chopper, right? He's worse than useless, he's unfunny and actively seems to be trying to get the other characters killed. Like if he spoke English I assume he's sound like Gilbert Gottfried doing Jar-Jar's shtick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

What the poo poo?

Although now that you mention it, I'd love to hear Gottfried voice Chopper.

Does he get more endearing in seasons 2 and 3? Because all he's done is be an antagonistic little poo poo. Like, it's funny when Artoo gives a baddie what-for because he's retalliating, but he's be much less beloved if he spent the whole movie jabbing Han in the rear end with a spork and then instead of stopping the garbage compactor, actually turned on the alarm to let the Empire catch Luke, Han and Leia.

He's basically exactly what you'd think Ezra would be at his worst. Col. Gascon would be ashamed to have him in D-Squad, and he's not fit to polish Artoo's exhaust ports. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Chopper is a surly sailor with a foul mouth, murderous streak, and a heart of gold. All he needs is a cigar.

I get that might be the broad intent, but he comes off like a deadbeat uncle who bums booze money from you, begs to crash on the couch while he gets his band off the ground then pawns your TV to buy a new amp because he "didn't think you'd mind".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Artoo fan spotted.

R2-D2 is cool and good and my friend.

Also he is an experienced commando, insurgent and battlefield commander (the Clone Wars arc where he has his own little troop of battle droids made me laugh every time they appeared.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still on season 1. He ain't saved nobody. Like, unless it was a 5 second shot where I was looking away from the TV, the only time he's 'helped' was in the Lando episode, and that was by A) pushing a single button and B) shooting the ship's guns at an ally, and that last one was after deciding that swiping an explosive fuel barrel was a good idea DURING a fire fight, forcing his allies to save his tin butt or he would've gotten their ride blown up.

Like, if he's better in s2 or 3, that's great. But all I'm hearing is thread in-jokes and memes about his human-sona.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Question for you anti-Chopper people: do you like cats?

Nope, I'm not a pet person at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN-7ALj2OU

Interesting to hear mention of a coordinated attack by multiple Rebel cells; Rogue One seems to imply that the Scarif assault is the first such attempt at a group strike. That said, I'm wondering if Thrawn's involvement may hint at a less fortuitous outcome in this instance, and may explain why Scarif is considered the first major victory for the assembled Rebellion (and why the Quasar isn't at Scarif, but the Ghost is).

Is that still Taylor as Obi-Wan? It's definately moving more to a Guinness impersonation than the vague stab at Ewan that we've heard before.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Screw the death troopers, did you see those arms? Thrawn be Swole. I guess it makes sense that a guy like Thrawn would feel that mastery of the body is just another part of mastery of the mind.

[edit] And things are gonna go so poorly for the nascent Rebel Alliance at that big battle, considering the battle to steal the DS plans was considered their first major victory. :ohdear:

He studies a culture's art. Including their martial arts. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wouldn't take much to get Luna to cameo as him either, I don't think. Dude fuckin' loves being in Star Wars from everything I've seen. Maybe the show can make me give a poo poo about anyone on Rogue One not named Chirrut Imwe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weird thing I've picked up about the post-Disney EU: They seem to WANT to have Wraith Squadron but aren't allowed to use the name for some reason? Like, the Ghost's crew using 'Spectre' as their callsigns when they're doing commando or sneaky stuff, and one of the newer books has Wedge commanding Phantom Squadron, which is made up of washouts?

It's a shame, as I really enjoy those books from the Legends stuff. They're good airport/train ride reading, and have better characterisation than most.

Oh, up to mid-season 2 of Rebels now, and I assume the Inquisitors just murdered a poo poo-ton of stormtroopers, otherwise how do you maintain the whole 'Jedi are extinct' propaganda when a bunch of them just saw Ahsoka looking like the freakin' goddess of war.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Do they ever address why Kanan never even broaches the idea of Ahsoka training Ezra? (Or, well, Yoda, seeing as he knows the li'l green dude is alive now) Kanan seems to have been WAY worse of a padawan than her seeing how easily she trounces the Inquisitors. Heck, her being knighted was basically a formality, and she was already helping with training kids during the war. If it's just the 'I left' thing, I kinda feel like every single person who voted to kick her out being dead should make that point moot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

EU Question. Kanan is a character that has been around way longer than Rebels? Didn't he have a comic book or was that another character?

He does have a comic, but I believe that came after the show was in production, if not after it was on the air. It's about his backstory from during the Clone War.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Then like 2 episodes later Yoda's going "Blind leading the stupid, you are, yesss, hehehe!"

Edit: "Rise of the Old Masters" depressed me, probably in a good sense, because Master Luminara was pretty much my favourite of the minor Jedi from Clone Wars. Her or Kit Fisto, and let's be honest, the latter has the name and Phil Lamarr doing the Hermes voice from Futurama going for him.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 6, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just started reading (well, listening to) Dark Disciple, and why am I not surprised that Mace Windu's the one who says "let's just cap the bastard" regarding Dooku.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DancinBrud posted:

Not to mention that Yoda's out of the training game.

"Just when out, thought I was, pull me back in they do!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the show's cast callsigns I felt was more a nod (though Hera and Chopper, dislike him though I do, would fit in really well in the X-Wing books), it was the detail of Wedge's new group from the books that made me go "Hey, wait a minute..."

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, she's given that position because she's way better than the fighter jockeys. If they're that bad in A-wings, how bad would they be in a B-wing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OhFunny posted:

He was also one of the main characters of the book Dark Disciple.

Which is an adaptation of finished scripts for Clone Wars, I believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

But be prepared for a rough pilot movie, first season, and a few real clunkers here and there. Most of it is good though.

And by now you've seen what Ahsoka becomes, so maybe her starting out as an annoying brat may sit easier with you than with people who didn't know where her character would be going back when the show originally aired.

I still sort of miss her calling R2 "Artooie". I thought that was kinda cute. Skyguy can gently caress right off though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Finally, have to say that I dislike Thrawn's flagship featuring a huge decal on it. That just doesn't feel very Imperial...

But Thrawn's whole thing is he sees war through the prism of art and psychology, having artwork as a totem or banner on his ship makes sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That one idiot at Hera's house pissed him off, does that count? :v:

"Hmm, my boss just spent a full minute monologuing about how much he loves art... I know! I'll advocate burning an irreplaceable artwork right in front of him, that's sure to impres-ACK MY NECK!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DancinBrud posted:

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. I also wonder if the Bendu has an actual physical form, or if he's more like the family from Mortis. Someone pointed out that Maul didn't acknowledge his presence, which seems weird.

Do we even know if Bendu is a name or like, the label for the part of the Force he represents, or a path like the Jedi or Sith?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, any Aussie SW goons here? Does them calling the dark side 'bogan' make you giggle?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

One the one hand,they are probably difficult to replace. On the other,the ones they've fought so far have been Team Rocket-tier,so the Empire hasn't lost much of value.

The inquisitors are secretly a prank on the Emperor by Vader. "Yes, my master, my most elite warriors *snrk* are *heh* on the trail of the rebel Jedi"

Hence why he barely gave enough of a gently caress to chase them until Ahsoka got involved, because then someone who could actually fight was around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bits of it sounded like Conan the Barbarian to me.

"No-one in this galaxy can you trust, little Mandalorian. Not men, not women, not droids. But this... this you can trust"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's actually a good point. All the discussion I've seen is wondering if Luke or Rey is the 'last' but it could mean both of them, or even a few others as the last group of Jedi. But more likely Luke refuses to teach Rey to be a Jedi, but instead teaches her to be something new.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But that would lead to some sort of Return of the... Miyagi-do

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

punchymcpunch posted:

Kylo Ren is the Daniel and Rey is the Johnny, because she cheated and got someone to injure him before their big match-up (and he hates his parents because they made him move to California).

I'd make a snarky comment about the white guy with the fascists secretly being the real victim, but... well... the real world is making that narrative seem depressingly like something people would actually buy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Tbh I think Filoni needs to dial back from the EU resurrection a little, and go for some original characters instead, rather than double down and hope it works as well as Thrawn did.

Katarn and Mara Jade are the only big characters that people would really be looking for anyway.

I mean, I'd go nuts for Wraith or Rogue Squadron, but if we never see Gavin Darklighter or Tyria Sarkin on screen I'm not going to pitch a hissy fit. And the less said about poo poo like Kyp Durron the better.

(Admiral Zsinj as done in the Wraith books would be a cool villain, though. A legit tactician that playacts as a pirate to throw off his enemies. )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure Lego Star Wars has that niche filled.

Hell, isn't there that Lego Star Wars cartoon that basically fills the comedy niche while Rebels does the action-adventure beat? The Freemaker or Freebuilder whatever?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Freemaker Adventures aren't canon in any way, so I don't think it confirms anything at all.

I thought Hidalgo said the broad strokes were canon, like the Freemaker Adventures is a 'based on a true story' cartoon from inside the SW universe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That does confirm that he basically wrote the Bendu as the Fourth Doctor, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

"Ashoka is real," Dave Filoni said in a live Q&A earlier. "Star Wars is real. Kanan is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

The earnestness of these really bad fanfic-y posts he does is one of the rare things that makes me kinda self-conscious and ashamed of liking Star Wars.

Pssst? The difference between fanfic and 'official'? Is getting paid by the people who own the IP. That's it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also he rants about Sabine while literally showing clips from the episodes where the writers clearly realised there was a depth issue with her and tried to course-correct and fix it because they're now focusing the show around her (presumably because girls that like Star Wars like the badass Mandalorian chick better than the dweeby emo Jedi boy shockingly)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Organic BB-8s.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Imagine 4 porgs on the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its real, but its not nesc litterally a SW: Rebels supplement, its just that rough time period and includes a lot of familiar things.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/11/dawn-of-rebellion/

To be fair, a lot of the books include stuff from Rebels and Clone Wars anyway. I'm pretty sure Kanan is used as example art for one of the classes in Force And Destiny.

Also it only matters if you roll multiple despair in combat :colbert:

• Locked thread