Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Problem description:

I apologize in advance if this description isn't helpful, describing this problem is a challenge. My finder windows will, seemingly at random, lock up. When this occurs, exiting out of them and opening a new finder window results in either something like this:

or with whatever was in the background behind the window where files should be visible.

Attempted fixes:
Forcequitting finder will temporarily resolve the issue, but eventually the problem will return. Restarting does not help, nor has resetting PRAM. Deleting the finder plist in terminal does the same as force quitting: temporarily fixes the problem, but it eventually returns.

Recent changes:
No changes I can think of, have been on the same OS version for quite some time, no hardware changes.

Operating system:
OSX 10.9.5

System specs:
MBP Retina, Late 2014, 128 GB (APPLE SSD SD0128F)

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes (well, except for the non-existent FAQ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd upgrade to the latest OS X (unless there's a reason not to).

If that doesn't help I'd run the disk utility and see if anything is wrong with the file system on the SSD.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

I'd upgrade to the latest OS X (unless there's a reason not to).

If that doesn't help I'd run the disk utility and see if anything is wrong with the file system on the SSD.

I have a few statistics programs I use that may or may not work in newer OS X versions, so I am loath to do that unless it is necessary. I will check the SSD to see if that is an issue, as it seems highly suspicious to me for this to happen spontaneously.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility? If not I would strongly recommend you do so.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility? If not I would strongly recommend you do so.

I did so just now, no change in behaviour as far as I can see (I think I may have done this earlier, as this problem has been around for several weeks). Disc usage is also pretty reasonable, so it doesn't seem like its stuck indexing. Verifying the disk shows no problems either.

I did quit google drive, as I know it to have weird cpu usage issues on windows and figured it was worth trying, and so far (15 minutes) I haven't had a lock up occur, which by now should have happened. I'll reinstall google drive if it seems to be working alright and see if that fixes it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I had to un-install google drive after similar issues on my windows 10 laptop- after which everything went back to normal.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
So much for that, looks like it was just playing nice in the short term, as even a full uninstall/reinstall does not seem to have done the trick. I'm unsure if this is helpful, but windowserver and finder both show very high CPU utilization (sometimes around 25% each) when a finder window that is behaving this way is in focus.

It seems that it is only the display aspect that is bugging out, as I can select and cut/copy files within the windows, despite there being no visual feedback for this save the info bar at the bottom:

To me that sounds like a problem with how the finder windows are being handed by graphics, but I am not qualified enough to say for certain.

Edit: I booted in safe mode and ran disk utility there, and then booted in single user mode and ran fsck to see if that would help. Now, the windows no longer lockup, but instead either just close, or minimize.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd definitely check with your stat program vendors/makers to see if they run okay on OS X 10.11.6

Generally, I've found the OS X upgrades to be backwards compatible with uncommon software.

• Locked thread