Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Previously on Glory in the Black

It had been a busy few days. General Aran Rhyne, precog leader of Caerleon's now-rogue Unit 4, had used the ever-present divide between the clans of Caerleon in an attempt to, ironically, unite the fractious Caerleon people under a single rule. His plan was the ultimate in self-sacrifice, with he and his men planning to give their own lives to start a war between Caerleon and the nearby Holst Dominion. Standing between Rhyne and his ultimate goals was Agent Voight of the Caerleon Intelligence Directorate and what resources she'd managed to put together. Included in those resources, a rag-tag group of individuals who had no right or business working together. But work together they did, and in the process became famous. First, protecting a party of the Bear clan in a spectacularly public manner, then hotdropping onto the Holst embassy to protect the Prime Minister of Caerleon and the Holst ambassador from Rhyne's last, desperate assault.

Thanks to their newfound publicity and Voight's backing, the group has recently christened themselves Killdozer, a newly formed PMC with an extensive forged background courtesy of Agent Voight and the CID.

But what lies in store for Killdozer next?

~

Sector map

Player Characters
Character sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dit?usp=sharing

Gen.Chatham (Rhyos) - A literal brain in a box, Gen is a survivor from before the Scream.
Durandal '588' (Waador) - A pre-Scream AI, posing as a biological hacker to avoid detection.
Camisa "Buster" Roja (A Darker Porpoise) - A former Vasan Marine, now deep in debt to criminals to fund her growing cyberware.
Erica Steiger (Zeppelin Insanity) - A refugee from the Forgotten World, making her way as the consummate professional mercenary.

Links
The OOC Thread
The Original Game Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

<Saved for Information Dumps, Etc.>

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

As a note, I didn't find anything about dates in the last thread, so we're going with a very complicated and at the same time simple system. The sector works on the Old Earth Calendar which is just Gregorian without leap years, and 24 hour days. That way everyone keeps track of the standard date for sector business (and a lot of businesses use the OEC because of this). Meanwhile, each world has it's own separate calendar as well to track to the planet's year. Like I said, complicated because of how many different dates there will be.

And I will almost exclusively use OEC and round to the closest hour when we need to track time to make it simple again because gently caress tracking all of those calendars for no good reason. I'm also going to blow through this debrief in a big infodump to get the new characters in play ASAP.

September 14th, 3200 OEC

Agent Voight was the only person in the debriefing room when you came in. This was the first you'd see of her since the assault on the Holst embassy four days ago, although she'd sent you all brief messages in the interim. Nothing that was revealing or even worthwhile, but more as though she wanted you to know she hadn't forgotten you and intended to deal with you at her schedule. Which was now, apparently.

She took one last glance at the datapad in front of her, then slid it across the table. "When Chatham and his colleagues from the Bitterhold first agreed to work with CID, I made it clear where they stood. They were not agents. They were not mercenaries. They were deniable. Expendable." She sighed. "Then again, they weren't as visible then, either. You're still not, officially, agents. You're also not, unofficially, mercenaries. Between trying to prevent war with Holst, explaining to the Prime Minister how Rhyne manged... everything, really, and dealing with the rather public nature of this shitstorm, I've been working to formalize what you are and retroactively were to the CID.

"Officially, you were hired security for the Bear clan's Federation Day party who valiantly and spectacularly defended the guests against attack by General Rhyne's coup attempt. After your actions, you were contracted to provide governmental security to a facility near the Holst embassy, and were redirected while on route to defend against Rhyne's last, desperate attempt to control Caerleon and remove all Holstian presence from the planet. The first item on the datapad is a statement of this as fact, along with a pardon from the Prime Minister for all actions taken during the course of those events." She paused in her spiel to nod at 588 with a slight grin. "You delivered Rhyne, and even if it wasn't exactly on a platter it was sufficient."

Tapping the datapad to the next item, she continued. "After the assault by Rhyne, we've been using his Lion and Shark contacts as scapegoats. The evidence is mostly real evidence, and where it's not it's only faked to protect our intelligence assets or prevent embarrassing secondary questions. Homes, starships, companies; we're impounding or seizing everything we can in a very, very public manner to make sure the planet knows we're dealing with it and that the matter is resolved. As part of your official payment, I shook free a starship from one of the Shark elders. It's yours, if you want it, payment to Killdozer for services rendered. The name's been wiped from the registry, but the registration number will clearly lead anyone running back to your 'long established' PMC and your efficiency in this crisis. That's the second item on the datapad, the ship registration and specifications."

pre:
NAME:
REG #:  CF-380162
COST:   1.075 Million Credits
HULL:   Free Merchant

SPD   3                      SPIKE DRIVE 2
AC    6                      MAX CREW    6
ARMOR 2                      HP         20

MAINT. COST        50K Credits Annually
FREE POWER          0
FREE MASS           2
FREE HARDPOINTS     0
CARGO TONNAGE      80

DEFENSES
Hardened Poly Overlay

WEAPONS
Multifocal Laser (1d4, AP 20)
Sandthrower (2d4, Flak)

FITTINGS
Drive-2
Atmosphere Configuration
Fuel Bunkers
Cargo Space x4

While you looked over the offered ship, she continued. "I've also manged to secure 1000 credits a piece as a private payment, and all of your medical or repair costs have been covered following the embassy assault.

"Unofficially, the CID was impressed with your results and appalled by your methods. Which means you've been labeled as 'independent assets.' You're not useful as official agents, but when we have jobs that fit your specific skill sets, we're going to use you. I'll be acting as your handler from now on, and your first job is very, very simple. Establish yourself as Killdozer in a way that makes it clear you do not and never will work for the CID." She paused, eyebrow cocked. "Do you understand? Any questions so far?"

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 15, 2016

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Also, it's been four days. Let me know what you've been doing for those four days briefly; if what you've been doing requires a roll, we'll go with the simple of rule of one roll per day, or up to four rolls total.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Cyril Cavil

Three days of intense surgery on his unconcious form and a day of bed rest was all Cyril needed apparently, say what you will about the CID, but they had a drat fine infirmary. The stitching would come out in time, but for now Cyril was in as good a shape as he could be for someone that had been shot heavily in the chest the previous day.

Unsteady on his feet and sluggish from the painkillers still coursing his system, Cyril is notably absent from the briefing. Still laying in his hospital bed for a last day of observation, he casually thumbs through the heavily edited version of the briefing. Credits are deposited in his rainy day fund and disappointment settles over his shoulders as it becomes apparent he won't be continuing his work with the raucous group.

He could understand why the CID didn't want to waste precious resources, a good psychic took years to train and Cyril was a fairly rare combination of powers, but that didn't stop the fact that he was irritated to be pulled away from his fun so soon. Yanking his compad out from the drawer next to his bed, Cyril begins to hammer out a message to 588.

pre:
Cyril> 588
I guess there was a reason my last task force kept me locked up safe in a tiny room,
as it turns out the CID doesn't like it when their precogs get shot half to death, whoda thunk it?
Shame, but I'm getting reassigned to a task force that'll keep me cooped up in a safe box again.
(≖д≖)
Good working with you anyhow, feel free to do whatever with the attached footage.
*Attachment*
It was great while it lasted (•̀o•́)ง have fun!

Plugging his compad and dataslab together, Cyril attaches the load of edited footage he'd had time to make while in bed, and with a heavy heart sends the batch off in his crazy companion's direction.

A wave of fatigue begins to wash over Cyril as the reality of his quick reassignment begins to really settle in, snapping his compad shut and folding away his dataslab, Cyril sinks back into the expertly fluffed pillow on his bed and waits for unconsciousness to reclaim him, tomorrow would be a new boring day and if he was to get in any fun he'd have to get up early.

quote:

The Attachment- During Cyril's bed rest at the end of last thread I had him edit a bunch of the footage from his Argus web, and potentially stuff that 588 had leftover from the dinner party fiasco into a more cohesive whole.

Profession/Videographer: 8. Probably not super relevant, but it's there for 588's use!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 15, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC

Agent Voight posted:

She paused in her spiel to nod at 588 with a slight grin. "You delivered Rhyne, and even if it wasn't exactly on a platter it was sufficient."
Ironically, he had been contemplating building a bust of Rhyne's head for Voight out of a few spare echo parts. He suspected it'd run him a hundred credits or so, though it'd be a little morbid. Far less so than actually cutting off and mounting the man's original head, at least. He'd play that one by ear ...maybe for her birthday?

Agent Voight posted:

Tapping the datapad to the next item, she continued. "As part of your official payment, I shook free a starship from one of the Shark elders. It's yours, if you want it, payment to Killdozer for services rendered. The name's been wiped from the registry, but the registration number will clearly lead anyone running back to your 'long established' PMC and your efficiency in this crisis. That's the second item on the datapad, the ship registration and specifications."
The hacker accepts the offer well before anyone can even contemplate the possibility of declining, "We'll be happy to add that to our asset list. That's much appreciated."

Agent Voight posted:

"Unofficially, the CID was impressed with your results and appalled by your methods."
That was entirely his fault, he knew. That had largely been the desired result, though, as the thought of getting strong-armed into a government job for the next century didn't have much appeal. A few high profile cases of property damage tended to scare away the typically conservative federal employer. Everything was coming together reasonably well.

Agent Voight posted:

"Which means you've been labeled as 'independent assets.' You're not useful as official agents, but when we have jobs that fit your specific skill sets, we're going to use you. I'll be acting as your handler from now on, and your first job is very, very simple. Establish yourself as Killdozer in a way that makes it clear you do not and never will work for the CID."
Running a private military company hadn't necessarily been on the agenda, but it might be nice to have a few resources at his disposal. It only took a few moments during their conversation to draft an advertisement for a few security professionals and place it on the public internet, linking back to a few of the by now well-trafficked videos of the gala and embassy ...'events'... for authenticity.

Chatham would be displeased, he knew, as the man had expressed a preference to call the company 'Bulwark 62'. It was important to be true to one's nature, however, and given how their assignments had turned out so far, they definitely weren't a conservative and defensive-minded bulwark. They were a killdozer, and by god they would bury anyone who stood in their way. He also thought the name would help attract the right kind of contracts and prospective employers. He nods and responds to Voight, "Got it, I'll set up a website and all the other logistics necessary to make that company a reality. I've actually already posted an ad online to bolster our ranks, so that's exciting." He looks to Chatham, "Do you want to handle the interviews? I'd sort of prefer you to be the public face of the organization, for ...various reasons. I'll do all the back-end work, though."

Agent Voight posted:

She paused, eyebrow cocked. "Do you understand? Any questions so far?"
He did have a few questions, though he wasn't particularly attached to any of the answers. Nothing ventured nothing gained, though. "I don't really want to waste anyone's time, but I do have a few questions. I've also got a fairly long cache of loose ends to clean up over the next few days, but I can deal with that more or less by myself. First order of business is the Fampir, is that still on the table? Or in the hangar, as the case may be. I don't mind having to reassemble it myself as it'll be a good opportunity to learn how it works. Second order of business is perhaps a different definition of the word, but we had a deal for diplomatic immunity, not a pardon for crimes made in the course of this operation. The latter is definitely appreciated, but I was more concerned about misunderstandings that might occur in the future, as well as any ...questionable... activity I might have committed prior to the gala. Purely theoretically, of course. If the Prime Minister doesn't want to grant me that status and there's nothing you can do about it, that's fine, I suppose, but I don't love it."

His first two questions had been focused on the past, and things that were already done. His other two questions dealt, more or less, with the future, "If you don't mind my asking, is there any room in CID's budget ...or another governmental organization, I suppose... for a highly classified science project? Over the course of the mission a few opportunities materialized that you might want made into reality. I won't bore you with the detailed scientific backup and proof of concept, but if you're worried about things heating up with Holst, I can probably nudge you into a better position with the right research team backing me up. I have a list of three things to choose from, though I probably only have the spare time for one of them at the moment. First on the list would require the support of the team of Raven scientists that helped develop that stealth suit technology. Your interstellar navy isn't a match for Holst, but with their assistance I think I can give you an edge in space combat that they'll have a hard time dealing with."

He pauses before continuing, "Second on the list is more of a back-end role. If you're willing to share your intelligence on the composition of the Holst navy, as well as Caerleon's, I'm willing to help design a ship that will shift odds in your favor if it ever does come to blows. I'll need a fair amount of time to reverse engineer the Fampir and learn from Draken's shipbuilding protocols, but at the end of it you'll have the designs to a vessel that should put even a top of the line Draken model to the test. It's the least resource intensive option of the bunch from a Caerleon perspective, though does require a bit of trust in terms of the information that would need to be shared. Obviously, actually building the ship would take some resources as well, though that comes later."

He shrugs, "Last on the list I'm reluctant to share, even among the close company of this room. Suffice to say it's a planetary defense system of a ...particularly unique... nature. I've been toying with the idea for a while, but would need a fairly sizable bunker, a full-time team of scientists and engineers, and a generous budget for research and development. Of all the ones on the list this is probably the one you want, but it comes with a catch: even the Prime Minister can't be told what we're really doing. I'll tell you if she agrees to appoint you head of the project for life, but no elected officials can ever know about it. Which I appreciate sounds ominous, but is just a precaution."

The thing was, he paid his debts, and as it stood regardless of how things shook out, he still felt he owed Voight a bit of a service. That frigate was worth about a million credits, and the Fampir was worth about the same. Personally, he valued diplomatic immunity at about another million credits, as it would save him a lot of headaches down the line. One way or another, it took less than twenty-four hours to deal with Rhyne once he'd signed up, and although most people didn't agree with him, the value he placed on his time and full attention was about one million credits per day. While he could appreciate it would sound unbelievably arrogant to say that out loud, it was just how he saw things. By his reckoning, depending on whether she decided to dial back her commitments on the immunity and the fighter, he owed Voight somewhere between another eight and fifty-six hours of his time. Maybe a solid eighty if he was being honest about the value of how much of a good time he'd had setting fire to that embassy. Perhaps even a solid two months if you counted all the priceless cars and planes he'd been allowed to destroy without any real consequence as part of the Federation Day gala. Either way, he was currently a fan of Voight, and was willing to do her a solid to elevate her career if she was interested.

Cyril Cavil posted:

"I guess there was a reason my last task force kept me locked up safe in a tiny room, as it turns out the CID doesn't like it when their precogs get shot half to death, whoda thunk it? Shame, but I'm getting reassigned to a task force that'll keep me cooped up in a safe box again. Good working with you anyhow, feel free to do whatever with the attached footage."
He responds to Cyril's text message.
pre:
588 >>
That's lovely news, brah.
We were having such a good time, too.
If you're ever free you should swing by for a drink.
There's always a place for you at Killdozer LLC.
Cyril's video editing was in pretty good shape, and certainly painted a good spin on the whole embassy debacle. He'd miss the man, at least for a while.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Intelligence (+2) / Wisdom (-1) / Charisma (-2) / 3,245xp / 37,335cr
Skill (+0): Combat (gunnery) / Culture (traveler / Weltraum Zwang) / Security / Vehicle (space)
Skill (+1): Computer / Navigation / Perception / Science / Stealth / Tech (maltech / medical / postech / pretech)
Inventory (ready): Compad0 / Stealth Field Uniform0 / Gravity Pack1 / Bioscanner1 / Dataslab1 / Metatool1 / Mag Pistol (silenced, 6/6 shots)1
Inventory (stowed): Grenade launcher3 (0/3 shots) / Flashbang grenade5 (x5)
Inventory (back at base): Instapanel (x5) / Lazarus patch (x1) / Medkit (x1) / Type A cell (x6)
Inventory (warehouse): Armory (frigate) / Stealth Suit Cachex / Assault suit2 / Argus web1
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 15, 2016

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Plugging his compad and dataslab together, Cyril attaches the load of edited footage he'd had time to make while in bed, and with a heavy heart sends the batch off in his crazy companion's way.

With a roll of 8, you've got a very serviceable video ready to run as proof of your abilities. Think cable TV ad worthy, but not Super Bowl ad worthy.

Waador posted:

He did have a few questions, though he wasn't particularly attached to any of the answers. Nothing ventured nothing gained, though. "I don't really want to waste anyone's time, but I do have a few questions. I've also got a fairly long cache of loose ends to clean up over the next few days, but I can deal with that more or less by myself. First order of business is the Fampir, is that still on the table? Or in the hangar, as the case may be. I don't mind having to reassemble it myself as it'll be a good opportunity to learn how it works.

Voight shook her head. "Right now, it's off the table. Mainly because it's not all in the hanger; it's a state of the art Draken design, and some of our Naval Design colleagues snuck several pieces off to study two days ago. We're going to get them back, but being blunt I don't see the use of a fighter with no engine, among other missing components, for you right now. I can tell you that the CID doesn't think that such a fighter should be held in private clan hands, but politics says that if we tried to keep it the Bear clan would just end up with it anyway. So if it were to disappear once we put it back together..." She trailed off, giving a very blatant slow shrug to accent her words.

quote:

"Second order of business is perhaps a different definition of the word, but we had a deal for diplomatic immunity, not a pardon for crimes made in the course of this operation. The latter is definitely appreciated, but I was more concerned about misunderstandings that might occur in the future, as well as any ...questionable... activity I might have committed prior to the gala. Purely theoretically, of course. If the Prime Minister doesn't want to grant me that status and there's nothing you can do about it, that's fine, I suppose, but I don't love it."

"Diplomatic immunity is a specific legal term which would require us to acknowledge you as working for the Caerleon government. Publicly, and for an extended duration. Potentially for your entire... well, life. If you tried to leave service, and Caerleon, after being publicly raised into it, you'd be branded a traitor because that's what politicians do when people cross them. I don't think you want that; I know we don't. Which is why, officially, you don't have diplomatic immunity any more than you work for the CID. You also don't have it any less, though, either. Publicly, you just have the pardon because that's something that can be swung politically."

quote:

His first two questions had been focused on the past, and things that were already done. His other two questions dealt, more or less, with the future, "If you don't mind my asking, is there any room in CID's budget ...or another governmental organization, I suppose... for a highly classified science project? Over the course of the mission a few opportunities materialized that you might want made into reality. I won't bore you with the detailed scientific backup and proof of concept, but if you're worried about things heating up with Holst, I can probably nudge you into a better position with the right research team backing me up. I have a list of three things to choose from, though I probably only have the spare time for one of them at the moment. First on the list would require the support of the team of Raven scientists that helped develop that stealth suit technology. Your interstellar navy isn't a match for Holst, but with their assistance I think I can give you an edge in space combat that they'll have a hard time dealing with."

He pauses before continuing, "Second on the list is more of a back-end role. If you're willing to share your intelligence on the composition of the Holst navy, as well as Caerleon's, I'm willing to help design a ship that will shift odds in your favor if it ever does come to blows. I'll need a fair amount of time to reverse engineer the Fampir and learn from Draken's shipbuilding protocols, but at the end of it you'll have the designs to a vessel that should put even a top of the line Draken model to the test. It's the least resource intensive option of the bunch from a Caerleon perspective, though does require a bit of trust in terms of the information that would need to be shared. Obviously, actually building the ship would take some resources as well, though that comes later."

He shrugs, "Last on the list I'm reluctant to share, even among the close company of this room. Suffice to say it's a planetary defense system of a ...particularly unique... nature. I've been toying with the ideal for a while, but would need a fairly sizable bunker, a full-time team of scientists and engineers, and a generous budget for research and development. Of all the ones on the list this is probably the one you want, but it comes with a catch: even the Prime Minister can't be told what we're really doing. I'll tell you if she agrees to appoint you head of the project for life, but no elected officials can ever know about it. Which I appreciate sounds ominous, but is just a precaution."

Agent Voight looked at 588 for a very long time, considering what 'she' was saying. There were clearly wheels turning, but her face masked how her thoughts were flowing. Finally, she sighed heavily and walked around to the table to your side. "I can already telling that being your handler will never be dull."

She took the datapad back and began to type additional information into it. "Remember that my job is not to run the Caerleon government, or the Navy, or the Army. It's, as far as you and your team are concerned, to keep your connection to the CID a secret and use you to resolve unusual threats to Caerleon. As such, I can tell you that the third option is right out without more information from you about what it is because I'd need to sell it to others. The first is a maybe, but those Raven scientists are connected to the Army, not the Navy, meaning more people that need to keep secrets, more risk of revelation. Your second option has the lowest risk of exposure." She finished typing and passed the datapad back again.

"You now have access to a backdoor account; I've authorized you to receive all of the data we've collected on the Fampir, and will work on getting you strength assessments of the Holst and Caerleon fleets. I just need to get clearance to pass that data along, so it may take a few days before that data begins to come in."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC

Agent Voight posted:

"Right now, it's off the table. Mainly because it's not all in the hanger; it's a state of the art Draken design, and some of our Naval Design colleagues snuck several pieces off to study two days ago. We're going to get them back, but being blunt I don't see the use of a fighter with no engine, among other missing components, for you right now. I can tell you that the CID doesn't think that such a fighter should be held in private clan hands, but politics says that if we tried to keep it the Bear clan would just end up with it anyway. So if it were to disappear once we put it back together..." She trailed off, giving a very blatant slow shrug to accent her words.
That was a reasonable compromise, and he accepts the deal with a wink, a smile, and not a single word. He suspected they both knew he was going to steal it a second time one way or another, but having permission to do so certainly made him feel better about the whole thing.

Agent Voight posted:

"Diplomatic immunity is a specific legal term which would require us to acknowledge you as working for the Caerleon government. Publicly, and for an extended duration. Potentially for your entire... well, life. If you tried to leave service, and Caerleon, after being publicly raised into it, you'd be branded a traitor because that's what politicians do when people cross them. I don't think you want that; I know we don't. Which is why, officially, you don't have diplomatic immunity any more than you work for the CID. You also don't have it any less, though, either. Publicly, you just have the pardon because that's something that can be swung politically."
The smile continues, and the hacker comments, "Fair enough. Like I said, it's appreciated one way or another."

Agent Voight posted:

"Remember that my job is not to run the Caerleon government, or the Navy, or the Army. It's, as far as you and your team are concerned, to keep your connection to the CID a secret and use you to resolve unusual threats to Caerleon. As such, I can tell you that the third option is right out without more information from you about what it is because I'd need to sell it to others. The first is a maybe, but those Raven scientists are connected to the Army, not the Navy, meaning more people that need to keep secrets, more risk of revelation. Your second option has the lowest risk of exposure." She finished typing and passed the datapad back again. "You now have access to a backdoor account; I've authorized you to receive all of the data we've collected on the Fampir, and will work on getting you strength assessments of the Holst and Caerleon fleets. I just need to get clearance to pass that data along, so it may take a few days before that data begins to come in."
It was like giving a child an early birthday present, and the hacker's eyes lit up with excitement accordingly. In truth he'd wanted the fleet strength data more than any of the other items on the list, and he could back into the Raven work afterwards, since that technology would be needed to patch the only weakness in the attack vector of the ship he was contemplating. His own estimates pegged the Holst Navy's annual budget at about one hundred to two hundred million credits, and Caerleon's operating capacity at about sixty million credits at most, but that was really just based on historical news footage, financial information circulated in publicly available government budgets as part of the approval process, and the analysis of a few industrious war-gaming hobbyists. The truth probably wasn't far off from the estimate, but the more data he had, the better.

His favorite part was that he - or Draken, he supposed - had already solved Caerleon's biggest weakness in the sphere of insterstellar warfare. The Fampir had been designed with twitch-sensitive controls that only a fighter pilot could appreciate. For his own part, he hated the design, and intended to modify it as soon as he got the chance. However, in the hands of thousands of skilled Caerleon Air Force pilots, a similar design would allow them to take to the stars in a manner not so dissimilar to the skies. The transition period and retraining would be minimal, though not trivial. The problem, of course, was that you couldn't just put a thousand men in fighters and take out a fleet. There were logistical concerns with regards to life support, blood clotting issues with remaining in a fixed position in a fighter for extended periods of time, and a dozen other problems that made it a completely unworkable solution. Thankfully, there was an alternative that was just begging to be given life. The hacker comments to Voight, "That works for me. I'll get started straight away. We can revisit the other two later, perhaps it'll be an easier conversation after I've proven myself useful on a more strategic scale with this first project."

Looking to Chatham, he adds, "That's about everything I had on my mind. How about you, Chatham?"
Skill (+0): Combat (gunnery) / Culture (traveler / Weltraum Zwang) / Security / Vehicle (space)
Skill (+1): Computer / Navigation / Perception / Science / Stealth / Tech (maltech / medical / postech / pretech)
Inventory (ready): Compad0 / Stealth Field Uniform0 / Gravity Pack1 / Bioscanner1 / Dataslab1 / Metatool1 / Mag Pistol (silenced, 6/6 shots)1
Inventory (back at base): Instapanel (x5) / Lazarus patch (x1) / Medkit (x1) / Type A cell (x6)
Inventory (warehouse): Armory (frigate) / Stealth Suit Cachex / Assault suit2 / Argus web1

Waador fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 15, 2016

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Gordon

The action was a shock to Gordon. He was an agent, and no stranger to field work and sticky situations, but this was completely different. This was loud and public. He couldn't afford to have his face known, not if he was to get to the bottom of this and find out who burned him and why.

But first, Hua. He'd put her in danger. That was unacceptable. And yet, seeing the different side of her at the party, he realised he cared for her much more than he was previously willing to admit. The first day, he picked her up from hospital, and spent much of the rest of the time with her.

He didn't want to attend the briefing. He knew the value of secrecy, and if he was to leave the group, it would be better for everyone if he didn't find out anything more about them and their future. Knowing too much would make him a loose end, and he hated being a loose end.

He met with the team a few hours earlier. He'd explained why he wouldn't be attending the briefing, and continued;

"It was quite the ride working with you. I think I'll miss the adrenaline. But I need to keep a low profile. There's a lot of personal business I must deal with that requires subtlety. I'm happy to sign any release forms for the footage of me, under the condition that my face is not visible, and my name is faked.

Perhaps our paths will cross again? Either way, good luck to you all."

He concluded with a firm handshake, then made his way out of the compound. He had a lead on Mila. He winced, looking down at his now-repaired knee, seeing the scar tissue on his wrists. But she hadn't killed him. She could have, easily. Why? He'd find out, and perhaps they'd dance again.

Erica

The previous job was dodgy. The latest one was boring. There was no shame in being a bodyguard, but she was forged in the fires of war. She was a leader, not a... a... rent-a-cop. Searching the net, an ad caught her eye. Killdozer? Quite the name. The footage... unprofessional. Messy. Too much collateral damage. But they had potential, and they did save a lot of lives. She wasn't entirely convinced, but, hell, it was better than the other ads. With the recent events, every bloody suit on the planet wanted a personal protection detail. That paid the bills, but there was no progression in it.

She fired off a no-nonsense message. The company's name and... blunt approach seemed to imply they might prefer directness over formality and politeness.

"Attached are details of recent work and declassified sections of military service record.

I will lead men again. At your company or another."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

"You now have access to a backdoor account; I've authorized you to receive all of the data we've collected on the Fampir, and will work on getting you strength assessments of the Holst and Caerleon fleets."

Below are some excerpts from the preliminary reports on the Fampir, as well as a mechanics explanation of what they've found in peeling the heavy fighter apart.

CID Preliminary Report: Fampir Systems posted:

... while the weapons and armor are high in quality, they are not revolutionary in concept. The inclusion of a railgun on a fighter is interesting, as it suggests the fighter was intended for targeting ground-based units and not starships.

But what is truly revolutionary in this model is the power draw. Once all standard fittings, weapons, and armor were removed, we found that the Fampir's available power was well above what a fighter would typically have. Further investigation has found that the engine used in this model is, in effect, recycling heat waste from the power generation process to supplement the vehicle's power generation. In addition, the heat recycling actually reduces the engine's mass as there is less need for safety bleeds in the engine to prevent overheating. Because of this, the vehicle is capable of loading more systems than traditional fighter models, without sacrificing speed. This engine is currently clearly only designed for fighters, but our estimate would be that Draken will be able to scale the same ideas up to higher hull classes in time.

Mechanically, the Fampir is an enhanced Fighter hull, with Power 6 and Free Mass 3. Reverse engineering of the engine will take time, and upscaling to larger ships would take progressively more, but it suggests Draken is on the verge of pushing out new engine models in all of their hulls.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja
HP: 16/16 AC: 8 (Street Clothes)
Strain: 0/12
Cutter Rifle 15/15 shots.

Camisa sits in her shoddy off the books apartment, an ash tray filled to the brim with the results of her stressed chain smoking, her resume and cover letter had been ready to go within hours of the advertisement for Killdozer going up, but she needed more money than they were offering; weeks of searching however had turned up next to nothing that met her very specific skillset.

Swallowing her pride, Camisa thumbs the authorization and tosses her compad onto the bed, her body soon following. Camisa winces as she reads through her messages, the gentle reminder from Domink Gogunov sitting at the top of her messages, a glaring reminder of her debts. While she was glad to have turned a portion of her cyberware back on, the sheer amount of money it was taking was getting to be absurd. It was no wonder the Vasan military was so eager to reclaim her, or at least her corpse, with several tens or hundreds of thousands of credits in tech floating around in there.

"Well girl, you got 50 credits to your name, only gotta earn another thousand before the mob decides to gut ya, best be hoping this Killdozer company gets back to me quick." Rolling off her bed, Camisa approaches the locked crate that has been sitting in the corner for nearly a month and punches the code in to open it, pulling the vast majority of her combat gear out, she begins to ponder what to wear to an interview; it was always good to dress up a touch for these kinds of things, but based on what she'd seen on the news about these people they might approve of the show of force approach.

Nodding to herself Camisa lays out her old combat uniform, since tailored to remove the visual indicators that would link her to the Vasan military, and sighs. It probably wouldn't be terribly appreciated by the police if she were to just stroll down the street with a juicebox strapped to her back, so that would have to stay behind, but she could easily box up her smaller kit and change into it pre-interview to make a decent impression.

Intertial Shunt Nodes: Spend one round spooling up to nullify any full body impact. Reuse within a minute causes 1d8 heat damage. Tech Save to activate as a reaction.
Integral Biostatus Monitor: Automatically alerts Camisa to Poison/Pathogen/Radiation exposure, identifies the substance and standard treatment for it.
+2 to first skill check to treat the effects. +1 to Tech/Med checks against Camisa.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen Chatham

There was something comforting about being back in the squawkbox. They had been through a lot, mind and body, and there wasn't the ever-nagging thought at the back of Gen's mind that he had quite literally been shoved up his own rear end.

The downtime was a welcome luxury. A chance to calibrate 588's monstrosity, hopefully making up for the little slap-fight he had with Rhyne. A chance to take stock of the fact that they were now a private military company, replete with advertising, budget, and history. A chance to actually spend a day doing nothing while being conscious. There hadn't been much time for that. Finally having the time to realize how far he had come allowed a lot of mental baggage to work itself out. In spite of his rather unique physiological situation, ultimately Gen was just a man. A man who was trying to do a simple job. That job quickly flung out of control and landed him in a conference room with a team of people who blew up an embassy, prevented an interstellar war, saved a planetary leader, and didn't lose a single life on their end. Being a brain in a box was more a humbling experience than an empowering one, but that had to be one in the win column. His life had been forever changed, and that was going to take some adjusting to. While most men have aspirations above themselves, few had been faced with such opportunities, and he was determined to make the most of them. 588 could do their crazy experiments. Gordon, Sunshine, Cara, Ellard, and Kieran could go back to a more normal life - they had all earned it and had acted admirably. Emrys, for all he knew, could still be out there, somewhere. And while he hadn't known Cyril for more than a day, the quirky psyker was a survivor - not many people could survive that kind of damage and remain whole.

What remained after all of this was a bizarre partnership. There was certainly more to 588 than they had let on, but despite the near-lunacy, they had proven trustworthy - at least, in so far as not actively looking to smash open his brainpan. Nothing drives sentient minds together like shared conflict, and if he could manage it, the pair could be a rather potent force for good, such as it could exist in this day and age. There was a lot of information to take in: The change in name, the new marketing structure, the fact that they now owned a starship. There was also the small matter of 588's own little request:

quote:

Do you want to handle the interviews? I'd sort of prefer you to be the public face of the organization, for ...various reasons. I'll do all the back-end work, though.

A triangular grip doesn't leave much room for a thumbs-up motion, but a quick nod of his chassis and a small salute from his manipulator seals the deal. He wasn't one for logistics, anyway - security was ultimately about people and intentions, and he planned to make the best of it.

As for the meeting itself, there was a lot of information to take in. 588 had been weaving plans within plans within plans, as usual. Gen, likewise, was more focused on his team.

"First off, I'd like to thank you and your team for your work. I know it's normally a thankless job, especially given the covert nature, but I'm sure you agree that the families of everyone involved are breathing easier thanks to your backup and logistics. Speaking of which, a lot of names and faces have crossed paths over the course of this whole thing: Now that this whole Rhyne thing is done, is there any way you might be able to g r e a s e the wheels for the folks whom have left the team? Just wanting to make sure I'm doing right by them in pulling what strings I can. 588's really more of the idea guy."

Wheeling around on the table as he thinks, the rare personal request comes to the fore. "It's a lot to take in. A starship, a company, all the new rules and regs that go along with it. If I'm going to be the face of this thing, though, it might help to have an actual face." Booping over to a display screen nearby, he pulls up an image. Digital pictures haven't changed a whole lot over the years, but this one was from the Way Back When."

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like an Echo armature fitting this description. Nothing fancy -" He can't exactly cast a sideways glance at 588, what with the lack of eyes, but an arm gesture in the general direction would have to suffice. "- no crazy weapons or expert systems or anything like that. While this squawkbox may have its own charm, it gets hard to sign contracts or give press conferences with these." Clicking his manipulator claws, he shrugs. "Totally understandable if it's off the table, as we've already been granted a lot, but I figured it's worth a shot."

Wheeling back to his starting location, he shimmies his legs back to the equivalent of a sitting position. "Aside from that, let's talk Killdozer. In keeping up appearances, we'd need an office, or at least some administrative address. I'm all for holding interviews on the ship, but for a PMC, it might help to actually have access to some live-fire training areas for performance appraisals, evaluations, etc. Failing that, we'd need a full-immersion VR environment, which can get kinda pricy. Would it be possible to get an assist in that area until things are more firmly established? Fortunately, this would be more of a loan than a grant."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC

Gordon Zhang posted:

"It was quite the ride working with you. I think I'll miss the adrenaline. But I need to keep a low profile. There's a lot of personal business I must deal with that requires subtlety. I'm happy to sign any release forms for the footage of me, under the condition that my face is not visible, and my name is faked. Perhaps our paths will cross again? Either way, good luck to you all."
Gordon had bailed on the group almost immediately after the dust had settled from their last sortie, and to a certain degree he couldn't blame the man. He'd perhaps gotten a bit too liberal in his use of force during the course of the embassy assault, what with burning a man alive while choking him to death on aerosolized feces, among a few other memorable strategies. He was happy to honor the man's request, though, having no real reason to spite him just for the sake of it. In the video footage leaked online Gordon is either tactfully left out, or cut out just above the neck. The hacker is sorely tempted to insert a fake name in some of the promotional materials, but it's easier to just not mention him one way or another. No sense risking the use of the name of a real person who might be inconvenienced by a sudden catapult into fame.

Web Application: Erica Steiger posted:

"Attached are details of recent work and declassified sections of military service record. I will lead men again. At your company or another."
The seven emotional stages of grief are usually understood to be shock or disbelief, denial, bargaining, guilt, anger, depression, and then a mixture of acceptance and hope. In the case of the loss of Cyril, he got through disbelief pretty quickly, skipped over bargaining and guilt, got a little bit angry at CID for taking away a generally chill dude, ignored his depression, and accepted the whole thing within a day or two. In Gordon's case he skipped pretty much directly to anger for a few moments, largely because it would be a headache to find someone new, and then skipped ahead again directly to hope when he realized that he actually enjoyed the process of interviewing and hiring people. More accurately, he enjoyed the act of running background checks on people and learning about them without their permission.
pre:
Computer/Int 8
Running background checks on the job applicants.
As might be expected for a company dominating the news cycle for the last few days, the volume of interested applicants was not trivial. This Steiger woman stood out from most of the others, though, largely by virtue of not being a Caerleon native. Her passport appeared to be valid and she had all the right credentials, as well as reasonably believable work experience in appropriate sectors. Having had about enough of shithead Caerlonians and their petty clan bullshit for one month, he put her application on the top of the pile. He then proceeded to read through another thirty applications from Mantis, Raven, and Dragon clan members that had all the right credentials and almost no style. Technically, this was racial profiling. Thankfully, he had diplomatic immunity, of a sort.

Web Application: Camisa 'Buster' Roja posted:

"Look, I don't actually meet all your qualifications exactly, but I've watched the news and seen how y'all work. I could sit here and beg for your consideration, but I'll just tell you it straight; my former job consisted of me being launched as a human torpedo at other ships so that I could blow them up from the inside if they didn't comply with what my employers wanted. I think you could use me-"
He had pretty much decided this woman was going to be hired the moment he read her resume. For all he cared she could show up to the interview drunk, high, and goosestepping, and he'd still give her a chance. Part of that was simply because Vasily had referred her, or at least that she'd had the good sense to bribe his Russian friend to lie about her work experience. Either way it was an indication of the sort of moral character that he could work with. If she was being honest about her former job description, he definitely wanted to do that to someone. He put her name towards the top of the pile as well, and forwarded the list of preferred candidates to Chatham for interview and consideration.

Chatham's involvement served a few purposes. On the one hand he didn't want to be making unilateral decisions about the team, especially since Chatham was the one who would ultimately have to work with these people in combat scenarios. He'd participate when necessary, he supposed, but it didn't really tend to be a good use of his time. On the other hand he wanted Chatham invested in Killdozer emotionally, and giving him a managerial role when it came to human resource activities seemed reasonable. The man was, after all, mostly human. Which was more than could be said for most corporate middle management.

A message is sent to all of the reasonably competent applicants, providing Chatham's contact details. He didn't intend to come within three miles of the peasantry that would have to be sorted and rejected, but he'd happily meet with the successful applicants once Chatham cut out all the chaff.

Gen Chatham posted:

"It's a lot to take in. A starship, a company, all the new rules and regs that go along with it. If I'm going to be the face of this thing, though, it might help to have an actual face."
He had to give Chatham credit, the man was a god drat trooper. The possibility of not continuing to leap headfirst into danger didn't even seem to occur to him as a possibility. It was endearing, and more than a bit of a relief after literally everyone else on the team bailed on them or got reassigned. The desire to have a face didn't seem unreasonable.

Gen Chatham posted:

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like an Echo armature fitting this description. Nothing fancy -" He can't exactly cast a sideways glance at 588, what with the lack of eyes, but an arm gesture in the general direction would have to suffice. "- no crazy weapons or expert systems or anything like that. While this squawkbox may have its own charm, it gets hard to sign contracts or give press conferences with these." Clicking his manipulator claws, he shrugs. "Totally understandable if it's off the table, as we've already been granted a lot, but I figured it's worth a shot."
The hacker offers, "If CID can't requisition you a body, I'll build you something nice." The wink that accompanies the offer is almost certainly a little unsettling, given where the man's brain ended up last time around. When Chatham's squawkbox turns around he briefly flashes a smile to Voight, as if thankful for the gift one way or another.

Gen Chatham posted:

"Aside from that, let's talk Killdozer. In keeping up appearances, we'd need an office, or at least some administrative address. I'm all for holding interviews on the ship, but for a PMC, it might help to actually have access to some live-fire training areas for performance appraisals, evaluations, etc. Failing that, we'd need a full-immersion VR environment, which can get kinda pricy. Would it be possible to get an assist in that area until things are more firmly established? Fortunately, this would be more of a loan than a grant."
The hacker offers, "I'm the only signatory on all the company bank accounts, as a quick note. If you want to take out any loans they'll have to be personal. I agree with you, though, we'll need some real estate to work with. I don't really believe in the ownership of land as a concept, but we should probably rent something." He pauses, laughing, "Maybe there's some recently forfeited Bear or Shark property we can get a good deal on? There must be a few small military training compounds or bunkers that certain assholes are no longer allowed to use." The hacker pauses, suddenly hopeful, "Ooh, or maybe a drug mansion?"

As data started to roll in on the datapad, he began to pay less attention to the conversation. He was still keeping an ear on things, but didn't really care what executive decisions Chatham made in terms of base location or specifics. There would be plenty of time to decorate later.

CID Preliminary Report: Fampir Systems posted:

... while the weapons and armor are high in quality, they are not revolutionary in concept. The inclusion of a railgun on a fighter is interesting, as it suggests the fighter was intended for targeting ground-based units and not starships. But what is truly revolutionary in this model is the power draw. Once all standard fittings, weapons, and armor were removed, we found that the Fampir's available power was well above what a fighter would typically have. Further investigation has found that the engine used in this model is, in effect, recycling heat waste from the power generation process to supplement the vehicle's power generation. In addition, the heat recycling actually reduces the engine's mass as there is less need for safety bleeds in the engine to prevent overheating. Because of this, the vehicle is capable of loading more systems than traditional fighter models, without sacrificing speed. This engine is currently clearly only designed for fighters, but our estimate would be that Draken will be able to scale the same ideas up to higher hull classes in time.

The CID team seemed to already be well underway with their own analysis of the vessel, having clearly disassembled a number of key components. For his own part he was actually going to need to get back up to speed on interstellar ship design. He had been knowledgeable about the subject a long time ago, but most of his practical experience became relatively worthless when the Scream wiped out the manufacturing techniques and psychically fabricated nano-compounds necessary to construct any of the schematics he had committed to memory. For the most part he'd been avoiding any detailed study of humanity's current capacity for astronautic engineering, given that it was a mixture of bad form and depressing naivete. If he was going to own a modern starship (or two, he supposed), though, it seemed like it might be wise to spend some time learning how the things were built and how they might be properly maintained. Normally he was pretty happy to rely on a mixture of luck, genius, and guesswork, but interstellar navigation wasn't one of the areas where you wanted to roll the dice if you could avoid it.

Durandal (the past) posted:

Access to the technical specifications had been the point of this endeavor the entire time, and he happily accessed, reviewed, and saved a copy of all of the available documentation within the computer banks. Going into this endeavor, he calculated a low chance that the vessel would be destroyed in combat in order to pacify the enemy forces, but a reasonable chance that planetary security would prevent him from making off with the vessel. With a copy of the schematics of a new Draken design safely in his own data banks, however, he would have options that would be of significant value in the near future.
Thankfully, if he was talented at anything, it was planning ahead. He'd downloaded a copy of the Fampir's schematics and other technical specifications from its data banks back in the hangar at Brynmor Manor, and had been waiting for a bit of downtime to really delve into the details. That information, in combination with the efforts of CID's parallel research efforts, would likely prove useful in the two-fold task of getting him up to speed on the state of naval design and manufacturing in general, as well as the more specific task of reverse engineering the Fampir.

He would take a phased approach to the information, he suspected. His first step was digesting all of the relevant technical information on the ship, as well as manufacturing techniques in general, to understand how to build the ship as it currently stood. The ability to reproduce a product ensured one understood that product. Only when that was complete would it be practical to proceed to phase two, which involved modifying and improving that product.
pre:
Science/Int 11 vs. Fampir

Phase 1 is reverse engineering of the existing design, so that I have a reasonable understanding
of how it was manufactured, in case I have a mind to reproduce it later.  This will also obviously
come in handy when attempting to perform any repairs.

I am hoping this iterative reverse engineering process will result in gaining a situational bonus
to later rolls on the Fampir, as I have at least five or six planned phases of redevelopment for
the hull, two or three of which probably require separate rolls.  We can see how it shakes out
though.
pre:
It is also worth noting that the Fampir's original stats departed from this a bit.
If we are revising the ship, it is likely worth revisiting all of the fields to see how it looks.

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 15, 2016

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Waador posted:

The hacker offers, "I'm the only signatory on all the company bank accounts, as a quick note. If you want to take out any loans they'll have to be personal. I agree with you, though, we'll need some real estate to work with. I don't really believe in the ownership of land as a concept, but we should probably rent something." He pauses, laughing, "Maybe there's some recently forfeited Bear or Shark property we can get a good deal on? There must be a few small military training compounds or bunkers that certain assholes are no longer allowed to use." The hacker pauses, suddenly hopeful, "Ooh, or maybe a drug mansion?"

Voight stood and shrugged. "You're absolutely right, you need a public front now. And because we set up your cover story, that public front needs to be more than a ship that, until recently, you did not have. There are few options, but let me be clear; these are not free rides. We're quickly reaching the limit of how much direct support we can offer to you. You need to establish yourself as a viable, independent entity from the CID. To that end, you're going to need to pay rent on your new office. There are three options, all in Unity to keep you close to the Interplanetary Spaceport and your new ship."

She tapped the screen with Gen's requested face on it, and three buildings showed up. "It's a choice between isolation, affordability, and security." As she mentions each word, she points to one of the three images. The first image, isolation, shows the exterior of an older warehouse. It looks to be in one of Unity's outlying canyon branches, and has no immediate neighbors in the area. To say it's in Unity is a stretch, it looks to be just past the city limits, in it's own little corner of things. The second building, affordability, is a smaller abandoned office building on the canyon floor, surrounded by the slums of Unity. The third image shows a small two building enclosed complex, nestled higher in the canyon walls with a six foot wall running along the perimeter.

"Pick a building; I'll have an Echo for Chatham delivered and this month's rent waived but from here on out the staffing, maintenance, and admin costs of Killdozer need to be handled by you. Naturally, when you work a job for us, you'll be well compensated for it."

Just for reference, each building does have something going for it. With isolation, I can see you building that area out as you get resources and it begins looking respectable. For affordability, it's cheap. And dirty. And a bit (a lot) run down. And for security, you get exactly what it sounds like; if you piss someone off, they're going to have to work to attack you; plus, you'll have limited room for a shooting gallery, etc. All three not only can be the front office for Killdozer, but is a place you can live. Rent will be 3000 credits a month and equates to having a Common lifestyle, except for the affordable choice which has a rent of 1800 credits a month and equates to a Poor lifestyle.

quote:

More accurately, he enjoyed the act of running background checks on people and learning about them without their permission.

With your check, you identify that Camisa is likely former Vasa military based on her resume and the mention of "human torpedo," but is not listed in the sources you can find. Either she's using a false name, or the Vasa military have withheld her name for some reason. You also find Erika's last few jobs, but not her history on her homeworld; it's as though at some point she just appeared in the records you're able to query. So in both cases, you get some of the history but not all of it.

You also find one of the applicants from Raven to be interesting; all of his references are off-planet, mostly Perserv corporations. With a bit of digging into your CID backdoor account, it becomes apparent that it's a false identity. But a false identity that was stolen from a real person; Elsted Rao, verified killed eight years ago in a Raven clan raid on a Bear compound in one of the many clan not-wars that often arises on Caerleon.

quote:

pre:
Phase 1 is reverse engineering of the existing design, so that I have a reasonable understanding
of how it was manufactured, in case I have a mind to reproduce it later.  This will also obviously
come in handy when attempting to perform any repairs.

I am hoping this iterative reverse engineering process will result in gaining a situational bonus
to later rolls on the Fampir, as I have at least five or six planned phases of redevelopment for
the hull, two or three of which probably require separate rolls.  We can see how it shakes out
though.
pre:
It is also worth noting that the Fampir's original stats departed from this a bit.
If we are revising the ship, it is likely worth revisiting all of the fields to see how it looks.

There the stats are! The analysis stands, but it's even beefier than I'd guessed. We'll go with those stats, but it's the engine that's the big step forward.

For your reverse engineering, this is the start of a long term goal. You can't get it in one roll, instead as you devote time to it you'll get to roll again. And once the total of your rolls are high enough, you'll get the next milestone and an XP reward. Because this is discovery right now, you'll only know what you're currently working towards but in the future you may have multiple goals you can work towards at the same time.

For this one, you need to get a grand total of 30; your roll of 11 is more than 1/3 of the way there. After 12 hours of dedicated study, you can roll again; however, if you wait for the CID report to advance they'll grant you a free roll with a +1 bonus in three days because of the parallel study.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Erica Steiger

The muggy heat of the jungle is difficult to bear. The goddamn cooling system of the uniform is playing up again. The quartermaster promised her a replacement two weeks ago, but it hasn't come in yet. Factories can't keep up he said. The pit is empty, but somehow, it already seems to reek of a mass grave. Anna walks up to the camera nonchalantly, holds up the unit badge, then crouches down, putting her face close to the lens and smiles. Warpaint makes the genuine smile look appropriately crazed. It's all a game, of course. These are the rules. This is how you play. She starts pouring solvent down the throats of prisoners.

-"Why do we do this?" poo poo. Not supposed to talk, just supposed to provide a perimeter. Camera will pick that up. poo poo.
-"What do you mean?"
-"This. It's... what's the word? Inhumane." It feels strange to say that word out loud.
-"Don't be ridiculous. It's the most human thing there is." Anna's voice has turned infuriatingly patronising. She walks up, a genuine look of concern on her face, caked with dust and desert sand. "Are you okay? Maybe you need to sit down. Here".
The softness of a couch in an apartment strewn with rubble. Anna wraps her hand around Erica's shoulder comfortingly.
-"I'm okay. Just... you seem so comfortable with this."
-"I am. It's an art. I was so foolish to pursue music. It's so shallow compared to this. This is what I'm meant to do. This is what humanity is, sis. The sooner you realise that the better."
-"You lost me there."
-"You know some history, right? The Mandate? Why do you think it was so successful? Why do you think we, as in the species, curb-stomped all the alien powers? We were upstarts, they were established. Better tech, better numbers, and a defender's advantage. You can do the maths on that. But there was something else."
-"What?"
-"Don't interrupt when I'm lecturing." A loving smile. "You know all the fictional films and shows, how there's so often the stereotypical warrior race? That's us. Humans. We love war. Always did, always will. That's why we're the best, that's why we win. The other species, they saw war as a necessity, as a tool. For humanity, it's a way of life. You can't deny you're enjoying it as well."
-"I'm not-" Anna takes Erica's hand. The gloves of the combat suit have finger bones attached to the top of the hand.
-"Then why is a man strapped to the front of your tank with barbed wire?"

Erica wakes. It's 2 AM. Cutting back to one tablet was a bad idea. She swallows the second tablet. It will be a few hours before sleep comes again. Have to do something, occupy the mind. She sits down by the terminal. There's a new message from her sister. Now's not a good time to read it. Instead, she begins looking through the files again.

Prior to deserting, she downloaded as many files and records as she could. It's been years, but it's still an unsorted mess. Everything from unit compositions, intel reports, casualty lists, requisition forms. All titled with unhelpful abbreviations long since forgotten. Going through it whenever the mood strikes won't do. Erica finally decides to get serious and be systematic. This is no longer about easing the conscience by pretending to do something. Now it's real, a goal.

First step: find names. She knows most of the survivors from her side, so they'll be easy to cross off the list. Some people might have taken new names as a method of moving past things, or to avoid snooping, but she suspected that like her, many didn't bother. The world was always isolationist, and the war resulted with a communications blackout. There's little need for fake identities when your real one is nearly as empty.

Since 588's doing some rolls, I thought I might as well. It seems reasonable to organise the long term goal into the steps of 1. Find names 2. Find out where they are now 3. Make contact 4. Atone. What would you say is the appropriate roll for this? Int/computers or int/culture?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Since 588's doing some rolls, I thought I might as well. It seems reasonable to organise the long term goal into the steps of 1. Find names 2. Find out where they are now 3. Make contact 4. Atone. What would you say is the appropriate roll for this? Int/computers or int/culture?

Your choice; I'll write the flavor based on the roll you pick. For finding names, it's a little different than 588's roll. There, he's rolling for a single, clear goal; reverse engineer the tech. But you're looking for multiple names of potential survivors. So, slightly different rules for this. Your target number is 6 to get a dozen names. For every 2 points over 6, you'll get a dozen more. But every time you have a successful roll, it makes the difficulty of future rolls increase by 1.

When we move on to finding where they are, those names are the pool you'll start from. The more names you have, the more likely you are to find individuals. We'll deal with that when we reach it, but know that the size of the name pool you have will drive success in the future.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC

Agent Voight posted:

"You're absolutely right, you need a public front now. And because we set up your cover story, that public front needs to be more than a ship that, until recently, you did not have. There are few options, but let me be clear; these are not free rides. We're quickly reaching the limit of how much direct support we can offer to you. You need to establish yourself as a viable, independent entity from the CID. To that end, you're going to need to pay rent on your new office. There are three options, all in Unity to keep you close to the Interplanetary Spaceport and your new ship."
He and Voight were aligned on how things needed to be set up. The less financial and logistical assistance from CID, the better, as that also meant less oversight.

Agent Voight posted:

"It's a choice between isolation, affordability, and security." As she mentions each word, she points to one of the three images. The first image, isolation, shows the exterior of an older warehouse. It looks to be in one of Unity's outlying canyon branches, and has no immediate neighbors in the area. To say it's in Unity is a stretch, it looks to be just past the city limits, in it's own little corner of things. The second building, affordability, is a smaller abandoned office building on the canyon floor, surrounded by the slums of Unity. The third image shows a small two building enclosed complex, nestled higher in the canyon walls with a six foot wall running along the perimeter. "Pick a building; I'll have an Echo for Chatham delivered and this month's rent waived but from here on out the staffing, maintenance, and admin costs of Killdozer need to be handled by you. Naturally, when you work a job for us, you'll be well compensated for it."
He comments to Chatham, "What do you think? I'm probably preferential to the isolated option, but could be swayed elsewhere." He pauses, adding, "The office building could be decent as well. If we save twelve hundred a month on rent, we can spend that on four full-time security employees, or nine hundred and sixty hours of unskilled labour to clean the place up every month." Another brief pause, "Or twenty full-time prostitutes, I suppose."

Plot posted:

With your check, you identify that Camisa is likely former Vasa military based on her resume and the mention of "human torpedo," but is not listed in the sources you can find. Either she's using a false name, or the Vasa military have withheld her name for some reason. You also find Erika's last few jobs, but not her history on her homeworld; it's as though at some point she just appeared in the records you're able to query. So in both cases, you get some of the history but not all of it. You also find one of the applicants from Raven to be interesting; all of his references are off-planet, mostly Perserv corporations. With a bit of digging into your CID backdoor account, it becomes apparent that it's a false identity. But a false identity that was stolen from a real person; Elsted Rao, verified killed eight years ago in a Raven clan raid on a Bear compound in one of the many clan not-wars that often arises on Caerleon.
The hacker forwards the job applications to Chatham, alongside a few helpful notes.
pre:
588 >>
Hey, Chatham!  Attached are the resumes from my shortlist.
You can contact them to interview at your convenience.

At the top of the list is Camisa Roja.
She's from off-world, and appears to be former Vasa military.
Looks like she has the right attitude.
Probably a good hire, but up to you.

Next up is Erica Steiger.
Her past is a bit unclear, but she also appears to be from off-world.
Has all the right qualifications, and reasonably appropriate experience.
I can't imagine her not being a good hire, but you never know.

The application pool also contains Elsted Rao.
Fun fact, Elsted was killed eight years ago in a Raven clan raid on Bear.
His work experience and references are all corporations from Persev.
Clearly a false identity, though it's hard to say what his motivations are.

Personally, I'd lay fifty-fifty odds that he's bribed those corporations for
references in order to get in the door.  Quite possibly a Bear operative,
probably hired by whats-her-name, presumably to either steal back the
Fampir or set my life on fire in exchange for all the property damage
dealt to her mansion and that priceless vehicle collection.

The other possibility is that he's from Persev and is just using a fake name
for other reasons, in which case his work experience might be legitimate.

Up to you if you want to interview him or not, but I'd be curious to know
what his deal is.  If someone is trying to get a spy into our organization
for whatever reason, they're just going to send more people to apply if
this guy fails, so we might as well play along until we have a better
understanding of the risk, if any.  What do you think?
He didn't really care one way or another. His focus was largely on the Fampir.

Plot posted:

For your reverse engineering, this is the start of a long term goal. You can't get it in one roll, instead as you devote time to it you'll get to roll again. And once the total of your rolls are high enough, you'll get the next milestone and an XP reward. Because this is discovery right now, you'll only know what you're currently working towards but in the future you may have multiple goals you can work towards at the same time.
It was kind of funny. On the one hand, he definitely agreed with the CID team that the engine was the real innovation in the overall hull design. The limits of its supercapacitors were difficult to believe in the context of a fighter assembled in a postech manufacturing facility. On the other hand, his long-term design plan actually involved the removal of that engine for something that would suit a more specialized purpose. The Caerleon Navy would no doubt be less than amused with his design change when they were presented with it, after salivating at the possibilities of the Draken drive. He was, however, confident that he knew what was best for Caerleon in this scenario. In either case his immediate goal was clear.
pre:
Goal / Design Note:  The first phase in this project is the reverse engineering of the Fampir.
While the endgame is not the ability to reproduce the Fampir in its current form, achieving the
level of understanding necessary to fabricate and assemble the vessel is a critical element in
the overall process of modifying and improving the design.
He comments to Chatham, "I'm going to focus on a few other issues, if you don't mind handling the job interviews alone. You're probably a better judge of character than I am, anyway, all things considered." He could wait for the CID reports to roll in, but he tended to simply focus on issues until they were dealt with. The human researchers would likely break for food, sleep, other recreational activities, and the like. It could be days before their next report rolled in. He'd rather get down to work immediately.
pre:
Once the debriefing is over I'll just take the '12 hours of dedicated study' option.
I have a few loose ends to clean up in terms of moving my gear and other stuff out
of the CID base, but once that is dealt with I'll focus on the reverse engineering
for the rest of the day.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Erica Steiger
Finding names - culture\int: 2d6 10

The sound choice might be to write a program to look through the documents in search of names, but Erica doesn't have those kinds of skills. Asking someone else to do it seems wrong. "If it's supposed to be a journey for redemption, it must be me", she thinks. Then immediately questions whether that's truth or wallowing in self-indulgent misery.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja

Her outfit sorted for a potential interview, Camisa slumps back in the lovely office chair that came with the room. Stubbing out the last remnant of her current cigarette she lights up another, immediately dismissing the hazard warning her Biostatus Monitor throws up about the brand of dubious quality.

It was all well and good that the company she'd applied to certainly fit her style, but she had heard next to nothing about them until the last few days. Snapping open her compad Camisa begins a cursory dig into the net; she doesn't get very far however, the vast majority of what she finds being news articles praising Killdozer's work and a cavalcade of positively spun press statements.

Intertial Shunt Nodes: Spend one round spooling up to nullify any full body impact. Reuse within a minute causes 1d8 heat damage. Tech Save to activate as a reaction.
Integral Biostatus Monitor: Automatically alerts Camisa to Poison/Pathogen/Radiation exposure, identifies the substance and standard treatment for it.
+2 to first skill check to treat the effects. +1 to Tech/Med checks against Camisa.

quote:

It's good to know exactly what type of people you're working for! Computer/Int: 3 to research Killdozer :eng99:, Camisa runs face first into all the impressive prepared history the CID made up I suppose!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC
Although he generally held a policy of not directly lying to people (careful withholding of information and positioning of the truth notwithstanding), he didn't take offense that this applicant was using a false identity. There were plenty of legitimate reasons to do that, or at least plenty of convenient and reasonable ones. He was, however, mildly concerned about the 'why' behind the actions of this Elsted Rao individual. As he had mentioned to Chatham, there was a distinct possibility that the woman he'd liberated the Fampir from had decided to take revenge, either for the vessel itself or the countless other incidents of property damage he'd inflicted upon her. He had hoped she would be grateful for the intervention, given that it clearly spared her life, but an emotional reaction to the incident driven by her pride wasn't impossible.

He didn't really want to put Chatham in danger if this man's intent was as simple as putting a bullet in the leader of Killdozer's head, especially since he'd gone to the effort of setting Chatham up as the face of the organization. He hoped this man had a more tolerable reason for faking his identity, but if it was as simple as using a dead Raven name that Bear knew was dead because they killed him, he'd deal with it. Thankfully, he had at least a few resources already at his disposal. He decides to send a message to one of the more promising job applicants.
pre:
Killdozer Web Application Response >>
Hello, Camisa Roja!  We wanted to thank you for your interest in the
Executive Protection Agent role at Killdozer.  A representative will
reach out to you shortly to confirm the timing and location of
your interview.

In advance of that, we have a skill-testing assignment for you!
Attached are the details of another applicant for the role, Mr. Elsted Rao.
Your skill-testing assignment is fairly simple.  Find this person using
the details he's provided, and get a sample of his DNA.  If you're able to
do this before your interview, and forward your findings to this address,
we're certain you'll be a shoe-in for the role!  Happy hunting!

Sincerely,
the Killdozer human resources team
Chatham could probably get a sample of the man's DNA at the interview, but that wouldn't do much good if the man intended to put a bullet in Chatham's head once he stepped into the room. It'd be much better for an unknown, and someone not yet affiliated with the company, to collect the sample. If they could do so before the interview, that would provide him plenty of time to run the man's DNA through a host of medical databases in order to get a positive identification. If he happened to actually be a Bear agent in disguise, he'd have to decide whether to kidnap the man's family in advance of the interview. It wouldn't be a particularly hard decision, though Chatham might have an objection or two. He'd deal with that when the time came, he supposed.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen Chatham

There were certainly benefits and drawbacks to each of the options.
- A cheap building in the slums would offer a chance to influence the local community, possibly even impose some damage control via charitable works projects.
The downside, however, is that any large power draw would be noticed by the municipal grid, and city ordinances would prevent live-fire exercises.

-An isolated warehouse in the middle of nowhere had plenty of room to work on big projects, with nobody to give much of a poo poo what sort of weird noises were coming from where.
Downside to that, though, is a lack of services should they be needed, the age of the structure, and the need to custom-build to meet purposes. Being out in the open would make certain activities more visible, too.

-A small complex would afford more variety - an office building for administrative stuff, and a shoot house/R&D area for training and evaluation, while being out of the way of most who would complain.
The quarters, however, might be a little cramped, but the improved fortification afforded a greater privacy, especially from satellites.

A few logistical quandaries remained, though they weren't complete dealbreakers.

"Well, if we're running a business, it might be a good idea to work out a few more details. Rather than rent, we'd like to start the process of purchasing the property, rather than renting. Which one depends on what sort of land rights we would have - primarily, would we be clear to excavate and/or develop on said property?" 588 wasn't the only one with plans, though he's sure that that foresight might be appreciated. "I'm leaning closest to the third option, as it meets most of my projected infrastructure needs - while sprawled expansion isn't much of an option, vertical would be ideal."

pre:
Fiver: Are you thinking cliffside hangar? Because I'm thinking cliffside hangar.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

It took time, but if what Erica was looking for was also going to take a form of penance the laborious task of checking lists against each other, comparing last known positions to possible escape areas or areas which had been decimated by satellite strikes, and wracking her own memory to eliminate those people who she had been on the same side as all certainly counted.

Luckily, she found a link in the files she was able to follow, and it was one which in retrospect she should have recognized sooner. Family.

On both sides, the records showed a pattern of family members looking out for each other. Nothing official, just the sort of unique combination of self-sacrifice and selfishness that often happens during war. Men and women who were willing to die for a cause, but not willing to watch their loved ones die. So for Erica, she learned quickly that the best way to find potential survivors was to look at the records of who had the opportuniy to leave planet, then look for the loved ones. Family names, martial records, even disciplinary reports of who they got into bar fights with during basic training.

That's three dozen names. There's a few ways that I can think of for you to follow this breadcrumb trail, and I'm sure you'll come up with a way I didn't think of, but the number of names helps to determine the degree of difficulty. I'll also likely let you spend names in certain situations to improve your chances, gain rerolls, etc. Whe you start trying to find people, let me know how you're approaching it and we'll work out the details.

Rhyos posted:

Gen Chatham

"Well, if we're running a business, it might be a good idea to work out a few more details. Rather than rent, we'd like to start the process of purchasing the property, rather than renting. Which one depends on what sort of land rights we would have - primarily, would we be clear to excavate and/or develop on said property?" 588 wasn't the only one with plans, though he's sure that that foresight might be appreciated. "I'm leaning closest to the third option, as it meets most of my projected infrastructure needs - while sprawled expansion isn't much of an option, vertical would be ideal."

Voight's mouth quirked on one side, a grin fighting to erupt. "While I admire your confidence, Mr. Chatham, I'd suggest that be a long term goal, not an immediate acquisition. After all, in truth your company only exists on paper right now."

From my perspective, if you get to the point were you buy the property you've just become a faction. Which is, by the way, a great goal to drive towards but right now you do not have the resources to compete at the faction level.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja

Midway through her slapdash websearch for information on Killdozer, a message from them appears. Jumping a little at the coincidence, a small streak of paranoia shivering its way up her spine, Camisa shifts the focus of her compad over and reads through her task. Camisa gnaws at her lip as she completes her read through, the whole subterfuge angle of life hadn't ever really been her speciality, but she'd had to do retrieval missions from time to time on orders from the Shipyard, so it wasn't exactly an unfamiliar task.

Camisa sits quietly for the better part of an hour as she plots out her plan of attack; a flurry of web searches for appropriate locations, a minute to wrangle a reservation at a rooftop cafe, and a few minutes to get her head back in line with the motherland and Elsted Rao recieves an audio message from a woman with a mild Russian accent "Mr Elsted Rao, this is Krasnaya Rubashka of Killdozer's HR department, we wanted to thank you for your interest in the Executive Protection Agent role at Killdozer. As you no doubt may have guessed our recent showing in the spotlight has drawn much attention to the company and we are dealing with a flurry of applicants." Pleased with her spiel's pacing 'Krasnaya' continues "I have been assigned the task of completing pre-screening interviews for the more prominent of our applicants and am pleased to inform you, that you've made the cut."

There are a few moments of silence and the sounds of rustling paper as Camisa's brain rattles through her script "My apologies for the informality, but as you can imagine my schedule is rather packed full at the moment, should you be available tonight at 7pm I would be pleased to meet you for your interview at La flèche in the Distani tower they have a quiet rooftop patio that would work well for our purposes, otherwise your pre-interview will likely be delayed for 2 or 3 days. Again I apologize for the informality, but your credentials make you a shoe-in for this job and the sooner we can get you in the position the sooner I can stop wasting my time interviewing the less hopeful applicants on my list. Killdozer LLC thanks you for your interest once again, we look forward to a long and prosperous relationship."

Stopping the recording, Camisa gives her neck a solid crack "Hot drat I hate talkin' to no one like that." A quick web search and a run to the communal printer later and Camisa is armed with a pile of official looking insurance and liability waivers, grabbing her poncho from its hook near the door, Camisa flings it around her shoulders and locks up her apartment; heading out into the world to run a few errands before her potential meetup.

quote:

I'm assuming Rao's contact information would be included among the details he submitted to the company seeing as he's trying to get a job there haha.

I'll drop my last 50 credits on a very professional looking DNA buccal swabbing kit.

8 on a persuade to get Rao to meet me for dinner at a business casual restaurant.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 16, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC

Gen Chatham posted:

Although he was only barely paying attention to the conversation, the hacker decides to comment to Chatham, "Property ownership is the central pillar to which the chains of all men are shackled. When individuals own the means of production, those individuals will inevitably exploit their workers and ensure the growth and eternal servitude of a lower class. I'll have nothing to do with this idea of the ownership of property, thank you very much." He pauses, adding, "Except for spaceships, obviously. You can't shackle a man to a spaceship without killing him, and if you do, he probably deserves it." Another pause, followed by, "Guns and ammunition are perfectly fine to own as well, I suppose, since they're consumable goods. I guess my objection largely only applies to real estate? Intellectual property, as well. You can't own an idea, that's loving retarded."

Regardless of how he really felt about the matter, the '588' persona had been designed to be a card-carrying communist, and he felt obliged to honor the intent of his original design. Maybe it was just his commitment to deep cover. Maybe he was just joking around with Chatham and Voight. It was almost impossible to tell.

Gen Chatham posted:

Fiver: Are you thinking cliffside hangar? Because I'm thinking cliffside hangar.
He responds honestly to Chatham.
pre:
588 >>
I honestly don't care, go with whatever you want.
It's more important to me that you're happy with the choice.

In terms of budgetary concerns, the cheap one is worth
considering, given that we would otherwise be saving
1,200cr per month on rental costs.  That's forty credits
per day, which is the salary of four security guards per day.

If you aren't worried about the economics of the situation,
I think the one that's in the middle of nowhere is the better
choice.  We can build our own walls and frankly digging out
a secret underground bunker is also an option.  It'll cost a
bit more but longer term it has the space we would need
to grow the organization into whatever it needs to become.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen Chatham

With a sad little bloorp, Gen concedes. "Fine, fine - if that's the case, then let's go for the cheaper one downtown. Communist. We should still have enough local resources to make things happen, so long as the power grid doesn't mind the occasional spike."
The extra cash per month would help with refit, repair, and virtualization.

Besides, space was really the place.

"If Comrade Red is ok with spending time with dirty proles, then let's go ahead and get things started!"
After all, there were letters to draft, interviews to conduct, and actual business-y things to do.

Why can I imagine 3 robots on an acre of land with a white picket fence and a sign that says "The Chatham Family Faction"?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 4 AC
The hacker comments, "Perfect, it's settled then. We'll take the affordable location and start paying rent a month from now. In the meantime Chatham will attend to hiring employees, and I'll put some effort into building up a clientele, so that in combination we'll appear to be a real business. Within a month or two any question of our real relationship to CID will have faded away from even the most conspiracy-minded person, and we can focus on real problems." Pausing briefly, 588 passes a datapad to Chatham, commenting, "Here's our financial situation, by the way. We currently have zero credits in the company, and it will cost us twelve credits an hour to keep the lights on if you hire two people. That's about two hundred and twenty credits a day, and about sixty-six hundred credits monthly. I can afford to keep the company afloat for my own amusement pretty much indefinitely, but it'd be nice if it were actually a profitable business."

The odd part, of course, was how quickly the hacker had prepared the financial summary of the fictional business. Had 588 predicted that Chatham's choice would be the affordable building? Or had they merely prepared an analysis under each possible scenario so that they could simply appear to have known all along? It wasn't even worth trying to figure out. Maybe wasting your time thinking about it was the point the whole time, a practical joke hidden in an everyday action. It was hard to tell.
Passive: Intelligence (+2) / Wisdom (-1) / Charisma (-2) / 3,245xp / 37,335cr / Killdozer LLC

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

A Darker Porpoise posted:

There are a few moments of silence and the sounds of rustling paper as Camisa's brain rattles through her script "My apologies for the informality, but as you can imagine my schedule is rather packed full at the moment, should you be available tonight at 7pm I would be pleased to meet you for your interview at La flèche in the Distani tower they have a quiet rooftop patio that would work well for our purposes, otherwise your pre-interview will likely be delayed for 2 or 3 days. Again I apologize for the informality, but your credentials make you a shoe-in for this job and the sooner we can get you in the position the sooner I can stop wasting my time interviewing the less hopeful applicants on my list. Killdozer LLC thanks you for your interest once again, we look forward to a long and prosperous relationship."

Rao wants the job, so he would have shown up regardless of the skill check. But at an 8, it's very unlikely he suspects you're lying to him about your role with the company. How do you prep for the meeting, and when do you show up? I'll set the scene for you.

An hour or so after Camisa sent her message, a soft chime in her head let her know of a new incoming audio message. A rough, even graveled voice, came through.

"Ms. Rubashka, Rao. Acknowledged, will attend you at 7 PM." There was a long pause, to the point where Camisa might think the audio link had been left open, before Rao said, "Thank you for the opportunity." The message ended.

Rhyos posted:

"If Comrade Red is ok with spending time with dirty proles, then let's go ahead and get things started!"

Voight nodded at the door behind them. "Dismissed, then. I'll be in touch."

~

Your new home awaits! As mentioned, you'll need to pay 1200 a month starting in about 30 days, and there's going to be a new Echo unit delivered for Chatham in the next day or so. The office building is found, as seen in this picture, in the slums of Unity. There's a medium delivery area that could fit two gravtrucks overlooked by a main office area, a second floor that can be used for some private offices or rooms to sleep in, and a basement level that's pretty open. The third and fourth floors exist, but are filled with what can only be called clutter by the most generous of people. It's a mass of broken furniture, scattered tech pieces, and everything else that would be abandoned and ignored in a slum.

I'll have some additional messages to pass to you soon, including some naval intel for 588, over the weekend, but I think that the next steps if I've read y'all right is Erica meeting with Chatham, 588 doing his thing, and Camisa making a play for Rao DNA. Let me know if you're going a different way, but that's what I'm prepping.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 17, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja

Camisa would be pleased as punch to say the rest of her afternoon was a whirl of daring do and hijinks, but that would be a lie. It took her all of 30 minutes to head to a medical supply store and to pester a clerk into selling her a proper DNA testing kit and to explain how it works. The next while was spent filling out liability forms and insurance documents with false information to add to her cover when the ineffable Mr. Rao appeared.

Other than her adventure in medical supplies and form filling, Camisa's afternoon was nothing but running through conversation scenarios in her mind. When the time nears she makes for the Distani tower, her reservation for the evening easily made with the La Flèche primarily serving to the afternoon crowd, the office drones of Distani holding their business meetings over lunch.

Free to chose where she sits on the rooftop patio, Camisa is quick to skim the view down to the ground, choosing to sit near a railing adjacent to a less trafficked alleyway. Taking her seat, she shoos away the pushy waiter with an order of water and an empty glass for herself as she promises that she is waiting for someone before choosing what to have.

Pulling out the stack of papers she has prepared, Camisa begins to pour over the sheaves, looking busy as she awaits her target's appearance.

Inertial Shunt Nodes: Spend one round spooling up to nullify any full body impact. Reuse within a minute causes 1d8 heat damage. Tech Save to activate as a reaction.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Camisa

As the late lunch crowd trickles out of the restaurant, the dinner crowd begins to take their place. The place isn't busy yet, not enough to warrant making you order or give up your table, but it's clear that the waiter is becoming annoyed with your continued presence. After refilling your water for the fourth time, he replaces your lunch menu with a dinner menu and make a rather pointed comment at your party's tardiness meaning you missed out on the lunch special.

Five minutes before the meeting, you see Rao enter the restaurant. His stature is much shorter than you would have expected, standing maybe five and a half feet tall. Most striking, he wears an obvious prosthetic cyberware arm on his right side, the white of it contrasting heavily with his tanned skin and darker hair. While he wears a long sleeve shirt, the sleeve over his prosthetic has been cut short; he seems almost proud of the arm. He talks briefly to the host before walking towards you; while he doesn't look armed, he walks as though fully combat ready. In short, he's clearly a soldier.

Sitting across from you, what could conceivably be a smile flashes across his face. "Ms. Rubashka, Rao." Just like in the audio call, he seems blunt almost to the point of rudeness, but eventually continues. "May we begin?" It's almost as though he's reminding himself to be cordial.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
'588' > 8 / 8 HP > 9 AC

Agent Voight posted:

Voight nodded at the door behind them. "Dismissed, then. I'll be in touch."
The hacker nods politely, and responds while standing up from the seat, "Looking forward to it." With a wink, 588 leaves the room. About an hour is spent gathering up the various gear left about the CID base, including the crate containing the butler-themed armature, some medical supplies, a few power cells, and an instapanel, as well as the nanite sample he'd left in the lab. Given that the base is literally in the middle of nowhere, he makes his way to the hangar, expecting to catch a ride in one of CID's vehicles. He'd walk home if he had to, but he wouldn't be particularly impressed.

Plot posted:

The office building is found, as seen in this picture, in the slums of Unity. There's a medium delivery area that could fit two gravtrucks overlooked by a main office area, a second floor that can be used for some private offices or rooms to sleep in, and a basement level that's pretty open. The third and fourth floors exist, but are filled with what can only be called clutter by the most generous of people. It's a mass of broken furniture, scattered tech pieces, and everything else that would be abandoned and ignored in a slum.
While he waits for his ride, he takes some time to do a bit of research online. First order of business: some proles to clean out the loving office. He would be literally astounded if it wasn't disgusting from essentially top to bottom. Calling up a cleaning company with a reasonably good quantity and quality of ratings on the public net, he offers, "Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Killdozer LLC. I have some work for you, cleaning out an office building in Unity. I'd like to purchase the time of twenty men for the next three days. We have a loading area that could fit two gravtrucks, or a reasonably large delivery or garbage truck. This is a bit of a hoarder situation, if you're familiar with the concept. The building has four floors and a basement, so there's a fair amount of space to deal with. I'd like your team to go through and clean out all the garbage, and then clean up the floors, walls, and such. Fairly basic janitorial duty, plus a bit of heavy lifting, as well as a bit of groundskeeping work. You'll probably want to bring a few pressure washers. All of our personal property is clearly labeled in duffelbags and crates, and everything else can go if it looks worthless. We'll have a separate team in to do any repairs on the electrical work and piping. Can you handle that? I'd like you to get started tomorrow morning, if possible."
pre:
I'll purchase the services of twenty unskilled laborers
for three days.  At a wage of 10 credits per day per person,
that will run me 600 credits, which I will loan to the company
and then use to pay the laborers.  If they want any additional
funds for equipment rental that's probably fine, but I'll make
them negotiate for it.
He comments to Chatham while they wait for their lift, "I'll have them start with the lower floors so the place actually looks respectable by the time you start inviting people over for interviews. No dinner parties for a few weeks, obviously." Separately, he calls up a hotel - specifically, a very expensive hotel in the nice part of Unity - and comments, "Hello, I'd like to rent your best available suite. I'll need it for three nights, registered under Killdozer LLC." He wasn't going to sleep in the loving slums. In all fairness, he didn't even intend to go to the office until it had been properly cleansed of filth. Even then, he might not go there unless he had to do so.
pre:
I'll also pay for a suite in a nice hotel for myself
for the next three days.  I'm treating this as elite
lifestyle costs for that time period, running me an
additional 300 credits.
He comments to Chatham, "I know what you're thinking, but it's complicated. I need time and peace of mind so that I can think clearly. I'm not going to be able to get any work done if there's a bunch of cleaning crews making a bunch of noise. Plus, it's the sort of place that caters to a particular caliber of clientele, so I should be able to meet a few contacts at the restaurant in the resort, or perhaps at the gym, to start building our client base. It's tough work, but someone's got to do it. Also, I'm paying all the bills, so, I mean, there should be a few perks." Later on, he asks the pilot of the helicopter to drop him off directly at the hotel, rather than heading to the office first. Perhaps that was also a perk? In either case, 588 appears to be hurriedly packing the grenade launcher, mag pistol, and other definitely super illegal items into the black duffelbags they'd liberated from Rhyne's team that were now apparently serving as his luggage, rather than wearing them while waltzing into a luxury hotel.

Once safely at the executive resort, he checks into his room and spends the remainder of the morning and afternoon going over the schematics of the Fampir, continuing to further his research. In the evening, he planned to wine and dine. What he lacked in charm he made up for in ruthlessness, which he suspected might appeal to the disproportionately sociopathic C-suite crowd.
pre:
After checking in to the resort, I'll spend the next twelve hours
researching the Fampir, with a Science 9. This brings me up to
20 / 30 research points.

Once that is done, I'll check out the resort and see if there's anything
interesting to do, or people to meet.  Will try to make at least a few
contacts at the resort, probably while slamming down food at the buffet
or hitting the gym.  Neither of which are of any particular value to my
mechanical body, I suppose.
Passive: Intelligence (+2) / Wisdom (-1) / Charisma (-2) / 3,245xp / 36,435cr / Killdozer LLC
Inventory (ready): Compad0 / Bioscanner1 / Dataslab1 / Metatool1
Inventory (stowed): Grenade launcher3 (3/3 shots, flashbang) / Stealth Field Uniform0 / Gravity Pack1 / Mag Pistol (silenced, 6/6 shots)1
Inventory (back at base): Instapanel (x5) / Lazarus patch (x1) / Medkit (x1) / Type A cell (x6)/ Flashbang grenade2 (x2) / Butler armature crate

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 17, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja

Mentally checking herself to keep the same level of her accent in check as she had in her message, Camisa stands and extends a hand in Rao's direction "A pleasure Mr. Rao, please take a seat." Re-seating herself Camisa nods across the table "You are seemingly a man short of time and I can respect that, if you would care to skip the formalities? We can be done with this quite quickly." As she speaks, Camisa gives her commlink a subvocal command and begins to create a recording of where she is looking.

Camisa reaches into her poncho coat and produces a small brown envelope, pulling a pair of tubes from within she places them on the table "Between your references and what the higher ups have indicated is a healthy respect for what they have found in a cursory background check over the course of the afternoon, Killdozer would be willing to extend an offer of employment in your direction." Sliding the pair of tubes across the table Camisa continues to speak "You will be receiving a formal invitation from the company compound by midday tomorrow."

Indicating the tubes, Camisa gestures for Rao to take them up "If you would uncap the pair of those and brush each once against the inside of your cheeks, I need to deliver these to the compound to get your biometric data keyed into the security system and the process takes a full twelve hours." Pulling her compad from within her coat, Camisa flicks open the screen and stares into the glow of a random text message as though confirming something "Your traditional interview will be held in the public office, but as I am setting you on the fast track corporate will also wish to go through with the confirmation tests of your combat prowess, the test area for which is inconveniently located in a secure portion of the compound, thus the need to log your biometrics."

Inertial Shunt Nodes: Spend one round spooling up to nullify any full body impact. Reuse within a minute causes 1d8 heat damage. Tech Save to activate as a reaction.

quote:

Don't mean to just push through the scene, but I'm trying to play to his impatience haha. Getting the group together ASAP is also a motive there :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 17, 2016

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Erica Steiger

Family. Bloody loving obvious. You'd think the message from her sister would have been a tip that family matters. Maybe the pills are kicking in.

After finishing off the night's sleep, now blissfully empty of meaning, it was time for a reply. Such things are easier in the light of day.

quote:

Hey sis,
I've got a lovely little contract on Persev. I'm hunting rats! If I catch a big one, the company likes me to bring them to a high level executive meeting and put on a show. Remind them from time to time that the money comes with terms. I'm telling you, getting their fancy expensive suits dirty is priceless. What are they gonna do, take it to a cleaners'? That could get the odd drop of blood out, but if they shat themselves and took it to the cleaner, the whole company would know within five minutes. Great fun.

They put me up in a nice little place in the expensive district. You should drop by. What's up on your end?

Love,
you-know-who

We're so different now, yet still close. Just goes to show how much family can matter. She could help. She was special ops, definitely went after high profile targets. People with names. Surely she remembers... but bringing her in would be very risky. What if she wants to play the older sister and make a point about naivete? Better err on the side of caution, for now.

quote:

Hey you,

Good to hear you're doing well. I'll definitely drop by when in the area.

I know you think I'm a square, but check out who I'm interviewing with soon. News reports attached. I think you might get along with them fairly well.

Sorry for the short message. Busy. Talk soon.

Love,
Erica

Right. Time to do some more research on Caerleon. Thankfully, the world had a ridiculously avid wargaming community. She'd read a bit of Janet's Defence Review and check out some of the more popular games. Of course, the unit performance had to be taken with a grain of salt, since game balance was a priority, but it wasn't useless information. If the actual performance wasn't accurate, the perception was real enough, and that tended to matter a lot more than trivial differences in rate of fire or armour composite. In her short time on this world, she'd found that while regular people were, well, regular, the richer or more important someone was the more they put on the silly clan affectations. Wargaming players tended to take on those affectations for historical or roleplay reasons. It was good research. Or good fun at least. After a quick browse, she settled for Reunification Wars, a popular strategy game and Tank Command, a simulator well regarded for realism and accuracy if not for slick presentation.

She finishes the day off with a cheesy historical drama. A guilty pleasure. The life of a soldier involved a lot of sleeping on crappy bunks if you were lucky, wet ground if you weren't. She was certainly capable of that, but she wasn't happy with it. This kind of life led her to develop a new appreciation and craving for luxury. Until the debt was paid off, she'd have to make do with enjoying it vicariously.

Having done serious work in the night, I waste much of the day doing research playing videogames. Here's some rolls, use a combination of results. Up to you whether that gives me any insight going forward or is just entertainment.
Wis/tactics: 1d10+4+1+1 14 actually a 12 because it's a 1d8 not a 1d10. Durr.
Combat/gunnery/dex: 2d6+1 10
Vehicle/grav/wis (I think that's most appropriate): 2d6+1 10

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 18, 2016

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Gen Chatham

Waador posted:

"I'll have them start with the lower floors so the place actually looks respectable by the time you start inviting people over for interviews. No dinner parties for a few weeks, obviously."
"I know what you're thinking, but it's complicated. I need time and peace of mind so that I can think clearly. I'm not going to be able to get any work done if there's a bunch of cleaning crews making a bunch of noise. Plus, it's the sort of place that caters to a particular caliber of clientele, so I should be able to meet a few contacts at the restaurant in the resort, or perhaps at the gym, to start building our client base. It's tough work, but someone's got to do it. Also, I'm paying all the bills, so, I mean, there should be a few perks." Later on, he asks the pilot of the helicopter to drop him off directly at the hotel, rather than heading to the office first.

"Hey, we all decompress in our own ways, and y o u certainly earned it! Have fun out there, and hit me up if you go anywhere interesting! As for the building itself, I'll hang out and ensure things get done right. Some "normal" activity will do me some good! Besides, I need to start coordinating those interviews - Keep me posted if anything comes up, ok?"

Waving a manipulator as 588 hops out of the chopper, Gen does his best to take in a view of the city from above. It's been as much of a home as anywhere lately, and as the sun finally dips over the horizon he finally gets a chance to take a look at the stars. He'd be back there soon enough, but for now, there was a moment to both think and experience at the same time - something he had been sorely lacking. Time to rebuild.

Touching down on the roof of the building, the little box blips a green light as the chopper shoves off, extending his manipulator to unlock the door to the roof and start taking a closer look at what he could really pull out of this building. A total of 5 floors could house quite a bit of activity, but surely there was some sort of infrastructure already in place. Time to go urban exploring!

Gen's going to spend the night combing over the building before the cleaning crew gets there, hoping to either draw inspiration or see if there are any unexpected surprises.
Wis/Perception: 1d8+1-1=3
Looks like Gen just finds a bunch of trash. Hopefully the elevator works!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Waador posted:

While he waits for his ride, he takes some time to do a bit of research online. First order of business: some proles to clean out the loving office. He would be literally astounded if it wasn't disgusting from essentially top to bottom. Calling up a cleaning company with a reasonably good quantity and quality of ratings on the public net, he offers, "Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Killdozer LLC. I have some work for you, cleaning out an office building in Unity. I'd like to purchase the time of twenty men for the next three days. We have a loading area that could fit two gravtrucks, or a reasonably large delivery or garbage truck. This is a bit of a hoarder situation, if you're familiar with the concept. The building has four floors and a basement, so there's a fair amount of space to deal with. I'd like your team to go through and clean out all the garbage, and then clean up the floors, walls, and such. Fairly basic janitorial duty, plus a bit of heavy lifting, as well as a bit of groundskeeping work. You'll probably want to bring a few pressure washers. All of our personal property is clearly labeled in duffelbags and crates, and everything else can go if it looks worthless. We'll have a separate team in to do any repairs on the electrical work and piping. Can you handle that? I'd like you to get started tomorrow morning, if possible."

A pleasant voice answers on the other end when 588 calls. After listens to the request, she responds, "Of course, ma'am, we'd gladly welcome the challenge! For labor and cleaning, our standard rates would be 600 credits. For haul away of the refuse, we normally charge 500 credits per ton, rounded up, for delivery to a secure disposal facility, but waive the haul away if you sign over salvage rights to us. If you let me know which you prefer, I'll draw up an agreement and work can begin in the morning!"

quote:

Separately, he calls up a hotel - specifically, a very expensive hotel in the nice part of Unity - and comments, "Hello, I'd like to rent your best available suite. I'll need it for three nights, registered under Killdozer LLC." He wasn't going to sleep in the loving slums. In all fairness, he didn't even intend to go to the office until it had been properly cleansed of filth. Even then, he might not go there unless he had to do so.

Pleasant, smooth voices are apparently a given in sales and customer service; apart from the apparent gender, the two voices could almost be identical. "Unfortunately, many of our top suites are previously booked for the next several days, but..."

There's a pause while he looks over what is available before continuing, "...we do have a very spacious executive suite available! If you'll just provide your payment information to reserve the suite, we welcome your stay and hope you'll let us know if you need anything to make your stay a memorable one."

quote:

Once safely at the executive resort, he checks into his room and spends the remainder of the morning and afternoon going over the schematics of the Fampir, continuing to further his research. In the evening, he planned to wine and dine. What he lacked in charm he made up for in ruthlessness, which he suspected might appeal to the disproportionately sociopathic C-suite crowd.

I'll have some information for you soon, sorry, ran short on time today to complete the post.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Camisa

Rao nods as Camisa proceeds with her explanation, but makes no move to pick up the tubes. Instead, he looks from them back to Camisa. "Unorthodox, but not unreasonable. Provide proof of your position with the company, and I'll comply within reason."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Erica Steiger

Having done serious work in the night, I waste much of the day doing research playing videogames. Here's some rolls, use a combination of results. Up to you whether that gives me any insight going forward or is just entertainment.
Wis/tactics: 1d10+4+1+1 14 actually a 12 because it's a 1d8 not a 1d10. Durr.
Combat/gunnery/dex: 2d6+1 10
Vehicle/grav/wis (I think that's most appropriate): 2d6+1 10

Erica's time in the simulations saw her move up the leaderboards, with her last few games trading wins with someone called Tal8nsWatch.

I've got an idea on this, which will pay off but not immediately. Or it never gets used, and we end up scrapping the whole idea.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rhyos posted:

Gen Chatham

Gen's going to spend the night combing over the building before the cleaning crew gets there, hoping to either draw inspiration or see if there are any unexpected surprises.
Wis/Perception: 1d8+1-1=3
Looks like Gen just finds a bunch of trash. Hopefully the elevator works!

Not everything needs a skill roll. For instance, there are desks and chairs that will obviously make do until you find something better.

Gen doesn't find much of use in his sweep of the building; a few serviceable desks and chairs, electrical outlets mostly functioning on the first two floors, and a solar powered vid screen reading "It's been 48 days since the last negligent fatality in this workspace." All the comforts of home, if home were uncomfortable.

We're going to play with time a bit. Gen, why not have Erica come in for her interview while I run the Camisa encounter and prep the information to feed 588? That puts us somewhat out of sync time wise, but they are the next scenes/information feeds for everyone.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Camisa Roja

"Of course Mr. Rao, give me a moment and I'll have the head office send you confirmation. Pardon me a moment." Standing from her chair Camisa moves to the balcony and begins to tap away at her compad, if she weren't a hardened soldier the nerves would probably be showing on her face. Pulling in as deep a breath as she can spare without giving away that something is up, Camisa thumbs an icon on the home screen of her compad and lets off a prayer of a thought "Script Kiddies don't fail me now!"

Miles away at her apartment complex, every piece of technology capable of computing that is hooked into the apartment's service lights up, the sheer mass of technology present bombarding the servers on which Killdozer's messaging client is hosted upon. A skilled hacker could definitely have done this with much more grace and without leaving a trace, but brute force was always more Camisa's style.

The network at Camisa's abode surges with effort, the combined power of the low security compads and dataslabs present blasting forth with the intent of shoving a single file through; a carefully written message, in the cadence of the HR associate that had contacted Camisa, barely managed to reach the messaging server and plinks off in the direction of Rao's contact details.

The message within is fairly simple; containing an official looking employee identification placard of one Krasnaya Rubashka with accompanying photograph, and a brief personal message confirming that Killdozer had indeed wished for Ms. Rubashka to meet with Rao for a pre-interview.

Stepping back to her chair Camisa takes a seat and reclines slightly, a look of impatience on her face "You should be receiving confirmation of my identity momentarily Mr. Rao, if you would have but a moment's more patience."

quote:

Security: 11 on 2d6 flat with the aim of brute forcing a prepared confirmation of Camisa's position through to Rao's contact details. I imagine 588 could contest that if he wanted to, but it'd probably be immediately obvious to him where it's coming from and what it is, so who knows. :v:

Thank you computer hacking! :roboluv: Thanks for the inspiration DDoSers.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 18, 2016

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Then at least I got a failed roll out of the way!

The timing of the message is purely coincidence, but after Erica's latest win over that Tal8nsWatch character, a new message hits her queue.

pre:
Ms. Steiger,

Your presence is requested at 36 Cymuned Blvd tomorrow
at 2:15pm. Please wear something comfortable and include
your concealed weapon of choice, should you so wish.
The entity at the lobby will instruct you from there.

Looking forward to it!
- Gen Chatham, Killdozer LLC
Gen Chatham
If he could lean back in his chair, he would. He wasn't all that great at playing the completely soulless corporate robot - his robot did have a soul, after all - but it was a matter of matching like-for-like. Erica's resume was formidable - she had far more combat experience than he did, but 588 did have a point in that he was the more traditionally "human" of the two. Surely, 588's interview would have involved field-stripping an assault cannon while being waterboarded by skunk musk or something, but Gen's purpose was to trim the sociopaths from the applicants. After all, there was really only room for one. Thankful that the lobby was kept in a somewhat serviceable condition, he figured it would be best to conduct the interview from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Erica Steiger

This issue of the magazine turned out to mostly be concerned with analysis of the recent developments. Erica lacked the cultural context to fully understand the implications and soon her eyes glazed over and she began flipping through the pages, until an article caught her eye. The venerable history of the LR70.

It was most certainly impressive. Developed before the Unification Wars by Vulcan Foundry, an industrial concern that proudly - and somewhat unusually - claimed no clan allegiance, it was widely sold to every clan and private guard that could afford them. To say it saw extensive action would be an understatement. It was massive and versatile, easy to maintain, able to traverse difficult terrain, and specifically designed to be the heart of long range operation - hence the LR designation. Some were configured for assault, where they proved adequate if underwhelming. They truly shined as C3 platforms and mobile bases, even able to be fitted with sleeping quarters of mobile workshops. Perhaps the greatest sign of its merit, the article pointed out, is that despite being an old design, it was still in use throughout both the Federal Guard and the major clans - something quite unusual on Caerleon, where enthusiasm over new developments tended to trump nostalgia for old warhorses. It was even used as inspiration in a large film franchise, though there it was escalated to utterly ridiculous proportions. If Erica got the job at Killdozer, and ever managed to run the vehicle division, she'd certainly bring it up - if they don't have one already. She supposed they probably do.

Next up, the games. She needed a handle. Without much thought, she entered Shrike. Her sister gave her that nickname, inspired by Erica's... decorations. She told herself that she needed a appropriate callsign for a company called Killdozer. She told herself that quick, aggressive escalation and fear can lead to quicker surrender, and therefore less casualties. It didn't work out that way in the war, but the logic seemed sound. Deep down, however, she knew that it was a retroactive justification. It was instinct. The dream was right. She was ashamed of many of the things she'd done, but lying to oneself wasn't going to make her any more righteous. She had done more than others. Perhaps she had secretly revelled in it. Perhaps she was more like her sister than she liked to admit, and that was why she hadn't cut off contact.

Those thoughts are interrupted by the martial drums of the matchmaking system giving her her first opponent. The game proved underwhelming. After a few victories, she decided to start annoying the other players. It was important to know how a commander of a particular culture reacted when thrown off balance by anger. Oh, let's not kid ourselves, it was just self-indulgent fun. She went into the customisation options and outfitted her military with the finest in garish pink. The abusive messages from people who took historical accuracy in a mass-market game rather too seriously were very rewarding, particularly as the Fluffy Bunny clan became a terror of the virtual battlescape. Eventually, the matchmaking started finding her adequate opponents, but by that point, she was rather bored of the game. It was time for the sim.

The first few losses were rather embarrassing. She had to get used to the control layout of an unfamiliar vehicle from an unfamiliar world. The realities of war on this planet were so different. The first lesson was the extensive use of air power - something that quickly deteriorated on her world as supplies - and the number of trained pilots - began to run low. It seemed that the desert environment was very favourable to strike craft - until the dust storms and howling winds flipped the script, rendering them near useless. The next painful lesson was in the Caerlonian's propensity to mount gently caress-off-huge anti armour rail cannons on small vehicles loaded to the gills with super-capacitors. They blew up if you looked at them sternly, but if you didn't spot one, it could punch through her tank easily.

As she learned those lessons, she began to rise up the leaderboards. The principles of sound gunnery were the same, no matter the controls. Tactical experience proved valuable even in a virtual battlescape. Soon, she began facing challenging opponents. A rivalry developed with a player Tal8nsWatch. Much as she resented the inclusion of numbers in a name like that, she quickly developed a respectful rivalry. It was so different. It was like the respect for their counterpart that generals felt in the dramas she watched. Not like real war. This was better. There was no hate. There was no dirt. It was clean, but carried much of the thrill.

It was getting late, however. She wanted to wind down before bed, so she could be ready for the interview. The drama didn't achieve that. Why would Janine marry Marc? He was an rear end in a top hat! She was an idiot! Why?!

The next day, she prepared for the interview. "Entity" was curious phrasing. Curious seemed to describe the company well. Lacking any formal clothes that were of high enough quality to be described as comfortable - corps tended to provide uniforms, and didn't want to waste someone of her skill on babysitting an executive anyway - she opted for chinos and a leather jacket. It was her favourite, pleasantly worn and aged. Reddish brown, strewn with unit patches. Those she had been part of on one side, those she took as trophies on the other. It was a memento that combined the good parts and the bad parts, and it had been her second skin for a number of years. Just in case that was part of the test, she made sure to wear the armoured undersuit and have her old F9 service pistol in a shoulder holster. A spare magazine fit well into one of the inside pockets, invisible to the casual observer. With that, she made her way to the offices.

Slums? Really? Had she made a bad call after all?

• Locked thread