Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

RicochetD20 posted:

I haven't watched anime in a long time, but after reading this thread I decided to watch one of the remake movies. I had a weeblapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUpWihJJJ4

Watch this instead. More realistic human reactions.

Its totally a parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i didnt read the tread but nge is really good and im gay for the fuckboi angel

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

JB50 posted:

Its totally a parody

Why is trevor from gta v voicing gendo???

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Traditional giant robot anime.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Hey guys, I don't really know how to say this but...

...they aren't really robots.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tricky D posted:

like because they are biological creatures clad in metal- or because it's a cartoon?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Germstore posted:

like because they are biological creatures clad in metal- or because it's a cartoon?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the former

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
if you're older than 30 and still watching this poo poo you are a criminal pervert

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I AM THE TOILET posted:

if you're older than 30 and still watching this poo poo you are a criminal pervert

sorry, but the following animes are exempt from goon scorn:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
That Miyazaki one with the cat thing.
That Miyazaki one with the pig dude.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The first half of Cowboy Bebop

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
trap sprung germstore is an oldie moldie ha ha what're you doing talking to all these children about japanese cartoons man

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I AM THE TOILET posted:

trap sprung germstore is an oldie moldie ha ha what're you doing talking to all these children about japanese cartoons man

gotta educate the children

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Germstore posted:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Neon Genesis Evangelion

My scorn has no exemptions.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Is a kamehameha wave strong enough to penetrate and AT field or would Goku have to punch through one?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i have a lupin NES game shirt and i wore it to work a few nights ago and some girl comes bounding out of hr and asks me what's on my shirt and tell her it's lupin the third its an old japanese cartoon and then she goes on for five minute about ruroni kenshen and said that was soooooooo old school and i didn't have a followup so i said okay and went on my way

never loving wearing that to work again

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Germstore posted:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Neon Genesis Evangelion

samurai champloo
space dandy
one punch man

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tricky D posted:

The angels arent angels either. Instrumentality has nothing to do with instruments. The dead sea scrolls arent scrolls. Words dont mean things. Besides no one knows what a bionoid is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Where did you get this from? Its pretty cool, we only get glimpses if what the evas look like without their armor.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Where did you get this from? Its pretty cool, we only get glimpses if what the evas look like without their armor.

It's fanart, but drat nice

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah see this is worse than the original ending where a young man comes to grips with his problems and is congratulated for it by supportive family members and friends.

the original ending to the show is perfect. replacing those two episodes with storyline stuff is a travesty meant to placate the mundane, who imagine the show is literally about giant robots, rather than an extended and deranged expression of individual suffering. god forfend some dork deign to have feelings.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

nomadologique posted:

the original ending to the show is perfect. replacing those two episodes with storyline stuff is a travesty meant to placate the unimaginative, who think the show is literally about giant robots, rather than an extended and deranged expression of individual suffering. god forfend some dork deign to have feelings.

they are both good and show physical and metaphysical/psychological aspects of what ever the person fusing thing is called

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
what i'm saying is, contrary to popular opinion, the show is complete and unjustifiable garbage without those two episodes. they are the holy spirit that transmutes its worldly poo poo into genuine meaning.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
oh yah totally agree

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This cartoon is for retards. Just reminding you idiots who lack the capacity to know any better.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

nomadologique posted:

what i'm saying is, contrary to popular opinion, the show is complete and unjustifiable garbage without those two episodes. they are the holy spirit that transmutes its worldly poo poo into genuine meaning.

I agree somewhat. Those episodes definitely give the show meaning, but I did like watching the world end in End of Eva.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

This cartoon is for retards. Just reminding you idiots who lack the capacity to know any better.

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

nge is good

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They only made that show to sell pachinko machines

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I've always taken the core story of Evangelion about the courage it takes to be a person, separate, with the unending pain and conflict that can cause.

Shinji, and humanity, are given the false serenity and apotheosis of merger, but the real path to spiritual growth is the neverending separation and having to contact others through that chasm in understanding that existing as a separate entity entails.

Technically, it works with the qabalistic imagery of Evangelion: the ultimate serenity and wholeness offered to Shinji is what Seele thinks of as Kether, the world before manifestation. But Kether actually translates as "the circular path", being the path without end. When the Seele leader, while dying, quotes from the Sefir Yetzirah, saying "The Beginning and the Ending Meet in the Same Place", he misses the point entirely.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

I've always taken the core story of Evangelion about the courage it takes to be a person, separate, with the unending pain and conflict that can cause.

Shinji, and humanity, are given the false serenity and apotheosis of merger, but the real path to spiritual growth is the neverending separation and having to contact others through that chasm in understanding that existing as a separate entity entails.

Technically, it works with the qabalistic imagery of Evangelion: the ultimate serenity and wholeness offered to Shinji is what Seele thinks of as Kether, the world before manifestation. But Kether actually translates as "the circular path", being the path without end. When the Seele leader, while dying, quotes from the Sefir Yetzirah, saying "The Beginning and the Ending Meet in the Same Place", he misses the point entirely.

I fell asleep halfway through this post.

Im literally sleep-posting.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

JB50 posted:

Its totally a parody

Back in my day, all we had was Evangelion ReDeath, and we liked it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPtFxvtfH9I

Also, my favorite part of Eva is the fact that during the End of Evangelion, there are frames of actual real-life hate mail, death threats, and vandalism on the Gainax Studio.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

JB50 posted:

I fell asleep halfway through this post.

Im literally sleep-posting.

Your contempt for me, and the fact that I can't make myself understood by you, are just a sacrifice I make for the spiritual reward of living as a self amongst others.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gently caress, I lost it at Holo

Graphic Map

:smithicide:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RahXephon is better than NGE because the male lead is a whiney bitch for like an episode instead of the entire series.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

nomadologique posted:

the original ending to the show is perfect. replacing those two episodes with storyline stuff is a travesty meant to placate the mundane, who imagine the show is literally about giant robots, rather than an extended and deranged expression of individual suffering. god forfend some dork deign to have feelings.
Tbh i always felt they fit well together. Back when i originally watched nge my friends told me to watch the series up to the last 2 eps, watch eoe, then watch the last 2 eps. I did that and thought it worked well because essentially they coverex the same thing but from a different perspective.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Your contempt for me, and the fact that I can't make myself understood by you, are just a sacrifice I make for the spiritual reward of living as a self amongst others.

https://youtu.be/wDajqW561KM (Wark! Wark!)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

its my favourite animes because the creator actively hates his audience and spends a lot of time and effort trolling them. Like how a lot of weebs wanted a NGE that was just straight monster v robot fights without the extensional analysis of the self and the questions of the inherent nature of human loneliness in an interconnected world so they made a new series that was one movie of that then 2 movies of complete and utter loving nonsense, one of which is like an extended discussion between two characters and not really much else.

also its got that cool rear end penguin so

edit all the alien stuff is from some psp game too i don't think its really "CANON" but then nothing is in this show so

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 17, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Even the penguin's name owns. Pen2. What a badass.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Angels are aliens. We're also aliens. We'll all made of orange juice. And we're hosed because people are terrible. That's really all there is to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

edit all the alien stuff is from some psp game too i don't think its really "CANON" but then nothing is in this show so

Tough poo poo, u wrong, it actually is canon. It's stuff from the original design docs.

• Locked thread