Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPsvHbxpHjM

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why do the decent kill themselves while the complete, unsalvageable shitstains of humanity continue drawing breath happily, making the world a slightly worse place for being in it?

empathy is a bitch

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

anakha posted:

I've been enjoying Chef and My Fridge on Netflix, and I usually have it on when I'm cooking or doing the dishes.

The 15-minute time limit and limitation of ingredients to whatever the guest has on hand make the dishes more relatable to me and I've actually tried making a couple of the dishes on the show. The chefs are also funny without being overbearing.

this is a very good show, cooking and banter

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

I just want a food competition show where the people aren't assholes, and it has to be low-stakes too. Masterchef AU is nice but I got tired of watching people come to tears every elimination round.

Chef and my fridge. They have started to be more guest focus than before but still a real solid show.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

They show Food Network in the cafeteria at work. Pioneer Woman is on and it’s a... funeral episode? It cuts from the husband building a graveyard for his mother to Pioneer Woman cheerfully cooking a cobbler.

I feel like I’m in some kind of Creepy Pasta nightmare.

I really want to hate on this woman for pretending to not just be rich as gently caress, but she also produces basset hound swag sooo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sourdough doughnuts are something I have actual interest in. Not enough for 3 videos of mostly lovely banter.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my fav frozen food given a slap in the face. i'm done with the superlongs g-makes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I haven't watched this one yet, what's the slap and how is this not just smaller hot pockets?

She only tried the og microwaved.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

he has his nose so far up his own rear end it really effects his pallet. Don't season! Don't sear! Don't have flavor!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Ok so I grew up in the 80s and 90s and Julia Child and Jacques Pépin taught me most of my basics on how to cook. My daughter wants to learn more basics but from instructional videos. I recommended looking up those but I realized a day or two later that they're kind of dated in some of their techniques, ingredients and plain old meals. Anyone you guys would recommend? I thought about Ramsay or Jamie Oliver but I wouldn't exactly say they're 100% geared towards the basics. Also yes I teach her how to cook she just super hates doing it in front of someone the first few times because she feels JUDGEMENT regardless of how encouraging I am but she's pretty anxiety ridden so I get it.

The guy is currently rebuilding his personal brand after being forced out of ATK because he was a colossally egotistical dickhead to everyone in front and behind the camera even though he helped start the brand. That's how much of a dick he was.

bon appetite has some instructional youtubes nowadays

I'd still say push JP

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

have they tried a baked pizza roll yet?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

well do you put peas in your bacon egg and cheese sandwich?

/e -

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2wD_w8mkOY

I feel for him not being able to find veil

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't realize it was that Nadiya! Now I've gotta watch it.

I had to google her since I didn't get to season six and lmao

quote:

Ted Cantle, the author of a government report on community cohesion, said Hussain had done "more for British-Muslim relations than 10 years of government policy".

I believe it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Choco Tacos seem like a great idea, but as Claire pointed out in the video, in practice they're soggy and terrible.

Both parts of that Gourmet Makes really highlighted my favorite part of the series, Claire's problem solving skills. Watching her MacGyver together taco shell drying rigs, or "mixing robots" hits the same spot for me that I got from watching MythBusters.

uh i think she just doesn't know how to eat a choco taco just like pizza rolls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gourmet makes hard seltzer:

"well it's time for the taste test. This sitting out a few hours. It's not very carbonated. This should be a piece of cake."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it helps if your parents didn't let you have things like choco tacos.

no nostalgia to disappoint

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Condé Nast is showing their anti BIPOC stances in the Pittsburgh gazette too fyi

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CN owns a ton of newsprints as well like toledo blade or pit gaz and there's no way in hell they'll bend an inch for youtube chefs.

The retaliation against newsfolk in their org just doesn't get as much traction. They're worse to them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clamato and v8!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xtal posted:

There are some Chinese expats in other countries who are still very, very defensive

Had a fling with an immigrant who also was.

Lotta national pride in that there country.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The clickbate nature of his videos suck so so much.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I still have to tell people to stop steaming their wings due to AB

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Here I was hoping lot of posts were about BA trying to kill their audience again.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unfortunately youtube as a mechanism really burries like 6 year old videos that will be straight and to the point. Idk how to search for it but Asian YouTube that end up on my recs are straight and to the point.

Otherwise food wishes is good for learning. Recipes are on his blog or whatever so you don't have to transcribe or rewatch for those details.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Holy poo poo I wonder if it is sohla or history that keeps getting her ancient weapons to cut things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Truly amazing that when the tomato was introduced, they were able to be like "gently caress yeah let's build our cuisine around this" rather than freaking out and begrudgingly including it in one dish

Well they have neighbors who would win cook offs.

Really only the brits avoid using tomato outside of grilled for breakfast. loving Island

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's always a trade off with baking. "The most fudgy xxxx ever!" Will use yolks or something that takes a bit more effort. You're ultimately combining fat, sugar, and starches so most recipes work regardless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I've been making my way though previous seasons of Top Chef and has there ever been a successful restaurant wars for both teams outside of I think the LA all stars season? It feels like they always get one set of actual restaurant servers and then a second set of random people they pull off the street who inevitably don't know how to write tickets or remember table numbers.

iirc s10? At least it wasn't FOH

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Boomer era cookbooks and a lot of post depression recipes had like a "half tsp of pepper" for 4 qts of chili.

A lot of it was frugality imho, but resulted in generations of people under seasoning food. Although IDK of anywhere else outside of the Midwest where there are salt shakers on the table. Use hot sauce!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should not trust his product recommendations.

"Will you shill for us?"

"Sure my family didn't die, 5/5"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unless the dude crashes like epic meal time it won't matter. He's made

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IMHO you should add gelatin, preferably hydrated in milk for meatballs.

Milk is a little odd I'll admit

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is old jaq and such. The problem with most YouTube cooks is the problem with YouTube, length is rewarded as a content creator and now adds are scripted in. If something is longer than chef John and food wishes dot com there is going to be a lottttt of garbage in the vid.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that guy is all clickbate bullshit. such a large MOE on recipes that he can't give bad advice either.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He has a milk bread recipe where legitimately the range is like 50 to 90 percent hydration. Absolutely worthless, flour is like 14% moist out of the mill and is not going to adjust that much.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://youtu.be/NGgpSWcaV1U

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They've had to start editing in the same "donkey poo poo" and other expletives since most are a half felt "come on" vs the raw emotion of it's rawwww *smash plate* in the early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's hard to find the 10 year old videos that were not made to be 40 loving minutes long to answer a 1 minute question.