Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The Great British Bake Off is the best show on TV
The Great Australian Bake Off is pretty good.
The Great Irish Bake Off is pretty good.
The Great South African Bake Off is pretty good.
The Great American Baking Competition is surprisingly good even though I thought it'd suck but it's dead.
America's Test Kitchen is great
Almost everything on The Food Network is utter garbage.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Jaffa Cakes are abomination. Hell, chocolate + orange is an abomination.

GTFO with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What little I know about hot chicken makes me think this isn't how you're supposed to do it.

Why? Other than way too little cayenne and the fact that he crowded his chicken, that was a pretty legit method. He's also skimpy on the hot chili oil.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I still can't believe that Aunt Sandy is basically the first lady of New York.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

one sexy loser posted:

Can we not spoil gbbo? I was happy with the winner, good sign off for the last BBC season. Mary Berry says she will make another show with Mel and Sue, good riddance to Paul and his loving handshakes.

Please do not or at least use spoiler tags. It doesn't come out in the US until January.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
To be fair I had no idea Create existed until I cut the cable and installed an antenna. Now I have 4X the PBS choices all at the same time not including duplicates.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anybody watching ATK sans Kimball? It's good, just different. I'm sure the two ladies will work out their chemistry as the season progresses it's just awkward as neither really takes any lead so it like the television equivalent of two people saying "no, after you" over and over at each other.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Why

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
She has a show on PBS Create.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

The Create channel is literally the only channel my wife and I watch now. All the shows are good as hell. I'm not sure who I love more, the over the top Italian guy or the over the top Mexican lady

Create is fantastic. I think you're thinking of as previously mentioned Pati's Mexican Table but I think the dude is Nick Stellino's Storyteller In The Kitchen. I even like Martha Stewart's show on Create. They've got a great line up (it's a drag on Sunday mornings when it's sewing with crazy $5000 computerized sewing machines, who the hell is their audience, WTF)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
His fashion sense is on point though. I get what you mean like I have never liked Martha Stewart that much until this show, it's pretty nice and I've gotten a few recipes out of it. I think the problem with her earlier shows was that it was all presentation with little substance. Quite different now.

Also I want to say that Pati is my favorite. I love her and her family. They are great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well poo poo

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

PT6A posted:

This day, it is poo poo and garbage and can eat my rear end.

:same:

Between finding out that Lidia Bastianich is a goddamn monster and now Anthony Bourdain is gone this is a lovely week for food TV for me.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

atothesquiz posted:

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.

Google "lidia bastianich indentured servant". Turns out she apparently tricked some lady to come to the US under the guise of teaching her the industry but then had her work hospice care for 6 years while saying she was working on her visa. She wasn't. She wasn't even paying her. It was bad enough that while she wasn't convicted criminally, she did apparently lose a 5MM settlement to the lady she made an indentured servant.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

howe_sam posted:

His recommendation in the most recent episode that you leave your chicken out for two hours under a house fan to dry before roasting was some amazing bullshit. I mean I don't doubt that it removes any moisture from the skin, but who has time to do that?

This came from the same guy who hates "unitaskers" but modified 3 steamer baskets to make baked buffalo wings. He's an idiot. I liked him when I started to get into cooking but beyond being entertaining for beginners he's from most accounts a racist rear end in a top hat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and another thing about him. He hates criticism. He rage quit twitter before it was trendy to do so and on his website he closes comments when people are critical and don't fellate him. It's kinda funny but I'd rather see him throw a fit.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

drgitlin posted:

There are plenty of other organizations that actually did what you’re suggesting and are throwing all their resources into video, or there were, because it turns out that won’t save you.

I’ll try this one more time and hope you will understand me. You can decide as a company that you have to ramp up your video stuff without giving up on the text stuff that got you there.

And anyone who even vaguely understands the new media landscape knows that it’s stuff like native advertising that pays the bills now, much more so than video.

Fun times, lets do this all again next month and maybe I can mansplain all your jobs and employers to you lot.

Cool. I don't give a gently caress. Can you shut up now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Good Eats is great for beginners. It was invaluable to me when I was first really getting into cooking because he explained the whys behind things which is super important because the underlying reasons can be applied to so many other applications in the kitchen. That's not to say it's JUST for beginners though, I've never made chicken parm because he's right, they usually pretty much suck. I kinda want to try this one. So there's something for everyone but there will be episodes that I'll just check out in the middle of, I'm sure. Another thing to warn you of, his recipes do tend to be rather basic and not all that great but again, that's the nature of keeping it simple enough so it's not intimidating for beginners.

If you guys like Good Eats, certainly check out America's Test Kitchen as they do the same science based cooking but in a much less silly way and the complication of recipes shoots up very dramatically so ATK may be a put off at first to beginners. I've learned over the years that there are some steps both shows recommend that are totally not worth the effort for what you get. Best example I can think of is the Good Eats one where he made tater tots. I tried and gently caress that. It took for loving ever and it tasted the exact same as a bag of Ore Ida tots.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
ATK can be lacking in spices but as for overall techniques and why you should do things is explained and that's what I was getting at you goofs.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so I grew up in the 80s and 90s and Julia Child and Jacques Pépin taught me most of my basics on how to cook. My daughter wants to learn more basics but from instructional videos. I recommended looking up those but I realized a day or two later that they're kind of dated in some of their techniques, ingredients and plain old meals. Anyone you guys would recommend? I thought about Ramsay or Jamie Oliver but I wouldn't exactly say they're 100% geared towards the basics. Also yes I teach her how to cook she just super hates doing it in front of someone the first few times because she feels JUDGEMENT regardless of how encouraging I am but she's pretty anxiety ridden so I get it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Random question: is Chris Kimball a right wing freak or something? People seem to dislike him on an Alton Brown level.

The guy is currently rebuilding his personal brand after being forced out of ATK because he was a colossally egotistical dickhead to everyone in front and behind the camera even though he helped start the brand. That's how much of a dick he was.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 15, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah Julia and Jacques ruined me on western style omelettes. They're overcooked foam to me. Slightly runny in the center or GTFO. I assumed eggs would be the best beginner thing to learn so she's watched lots of Julia and Jacques egg videos and she's gotten pretty good at them she's just sick of eggs. Honestly I bet AB might be good for her. It was for me when I was learning the "whys" of certain things you do that can be applied to other things.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Borsche69 posted:

He probably just replaces them over time with another cheap pan. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/why-cheap-nonstick-skillets-are-best.html

That's why the current favorite in GWS is the Tramontina https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's usually $30. $30 for a pan I use every other day for like 2 years is cheap. Even the Tfal that used to be recommended usually went for $25?