Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

quote:

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. Now, finally, we've driven them off, and we're left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive the encounter. This is when it will end. But we don't know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.
This is Aches the Earth (game 2), a game of The Quiet Year for the following people:
  1. Tyrannosaurus
  2. potatocubed
  3. Fathis Munk
  4. ibntumart
This is our turn order. Our setup thread is here.

Who are we?
At most, we are sixty or seventy strong. Our community lives at the edge of a giant lake at the end of a long and winding fjord. On all sides of the river are steep, perilous cliffs though they do not lack for hidden passages and handholds and caves. Beyond the cliffs is the dark, inscrutable forest that has grown huge and monstrous in the long absence of civilization. The Maw is in the woods-- that great townsize hole so deep it seems to eat light itself-- and so, too, are the everwatching eye birds. On the eastern cliff is the old belltower we've converted to a guardpost. On the western shore lies the skeleton of the Last Whale. We don't fully remember what whales are but it's bones are huge and do not bone and we consider ourselves lucky that there are none more like it in this world.

We don't know much more than that. Surely there are things beyond the mountains and within in the forests but night comes swift and is terribly dark. And every morning brings with the new day a blinding, all encompassing fog filled with strange, disturbing sounds. We have not explored in a long time. Not since before the war.

The war with the Jackals robbed us of so much: our numbers, our food, our clean water, our way of life. All that we seem to have left is our stronghold home-- the ancient beached cruiserliner-- and our curiously long lived lives. Perhaps this is enough. At least enough for us to rebuild. We hope it will be a quiet year.

How do I take my turn?
First, you access the Roll20 tabletop and draw a card from the current season's deck. This will tell you to do something, often answer a question.

Second, you resolve the oracle instructions, changing the map and performing actions as necessary.

Third, you reduce the count of every Project by 1. When a Project reaches 0, it's finished – whoever started it describes how it ends. Projects that end prematurely due to the oracle's instructions are described by whoever drew the card.

Fourth, you take your own action (unless the oracle says that you don't act this turn) – Start a Project, Discover Something New or Hold a Discussion:
  • If you Start a Project, pick an appropriate duration from 1 to 6 Weeks and draw it on the map (or add an image).
  • If you Discover Something New, add it to the map.
  • if you Hold a Discussion, start out with a question or a statement. Everyone else then gets to make one statement representing a sentiment in the community. If you started with a question, you then end with another statement. Add a red dot to the map near the subject of the Discussion.
Fifth, you export the map from RealtimeBoard as an image and upload it and any other images you used to a host.

Sixth, make a post in the following format:
Season and Week
Oracle question
Resolution to Oracle question, with image if you used one
Resolution to finished projects, if you started them
Your action, with image if you used one
Updated map
Projects list (including Projects that reached 0 Weeks this turn)
Abundances list
Scarcities list
Contempt list
Character list

Game Tips
  1. Make every turn count! We only get 40-50, so they all need to meaningfully move the story forward. Make use of existing characters where you can, and introduce and name new ones when they add something new. Say where the windfall of food comes from. Tell us the stranger's name. Reintegrate, change our circumstances, add new details, push the story forwards.
  2. Resources are there to influence how we play, define what's reasonable for the community to do and guide their actions, rather than as traits to be min-maxed.
  3. Abundances and Scarcities are only for when we have far more or less of something we need. Otherwise, we have just enough (or it's not important).
  4. Intangible Resources (e.g. Mercy) can be great themes, but if we focus too much on them the story can become ungrounded.
  5. Keep it short – 2-3 sentences is good for an action or oracle resolution.
  6. Characters are important, but the game is about the community as a whole, not just a few people.
  7. Everything that happens must come from player actions and card draws. There are no free actions. You can add immediate consequences, but not longer-term follow-ups (unless you use another action/card).
  8. If a card tells you to take an action (e.g. Start a Project), you still get your normal action on top of that unless explicitly told that you don't. If a card asks you to draw more cards, do so even if you cross over into the next deck.

Thread Rules
  1. Post within 24 hours when your turn or a Discussion comes up, or let us know you're writing it. If you don't, you'll be skipped to keep things moving.
  2. No OOC chat about the narrative content of the game (utility stuff like questions about the Roll20 tabletop is fine).
  3. Remember to describe your finished projects (unless they get terminated prematurely) – this will usually happen on someone else's turn.
  4. Only draw your card when you've got time to post, just in case you draw, don't have time after all and get skipped.
  5. When you take a Contempt token, name the action that caused it.
  6. During Discussions, just post your statement whenever you can rather than in the turn order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Spring – Week 1

quote:

What's the most beautiful thing is this area?
In the bowels of our home is the Sleeping Place. The Jackals might have worshiped their ancestors but when we want to communicate... we only need to wake ours up. Each generation has maintained this ornate area with dignity and decorated it with newly found treasures of their own.

Action – Start a Project: We must reestablish our hold on our territory. A small contingent will be sent to the belltower to rebuild and repair our outpost.

Projects: Fix the belltower (4)
Abundances: longevity
Scarcities: water, fish, curiosity
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (0), potatocubed (0),Fathis Munk (0), ibntumart (0)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Spring - Week 2

quote:

Alarming weather patterns destroy something. How and what?

We all heard the sound -- rock shattering and boulders tumbling into the waters of the fjord, crashing onto the beach -- but only Harald saw it, from his habitual perch on the western cliffs. The fog, crawling up the cliffs to the east, clutching at them like a fist until they crumbled.

Action: Start a Project. We need drinking water, sooner rather than later. If everyone sets up their own fog collector, we can solve -- or at least mitigate -- our water problem.

Projects: Fix the belltower (3); build fog collectors (2)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Spring - Week 3

quote:

How old are the eldest members of the community ? What special needs do they have ?

The exact age of the oldest among us are known only to themselves, though they probably do not recall. Some of us are several hundreds of years old and rumors say Eír and her husband Afi were alive before the world changed. It is obvious their spirits are willing but their flesh is weak, they have to sleep for weeks at a time and when they wake up their minds and memories tend to be jumbled.

The sleeping place is spacious, but it is starting to fill up. What will we do with our eldest once there are not enough beds for everyone ?

Action - Start a project Clearly the waters around our home are empty of life. We need to build some fishing ships we can send to the outpost once it has been fixed. Hopefully those waters will be teeming with fish.

Projects : Fix the belltower (2); build fog collectors (1); build fishing ships (3)

I hope I didn't mess anything up. Also the timing could be better, I won't have access to a computer from tomorrow morning til sunday evening. I'll phonepost but won't have access to roll20 since that's a paid feature :smith:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring - Week 4

quote:

There’s another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?

The Dyvanden live in the lake; more to the point, they live under the lake. They emerge once or twice a decade, swimming to the shore and clumsily making their way into the woodlands. They reappear after a few days, never as many as before, and dive back into the deep. Whether they can speak any language we can understand, or speak at all, we don't know. They shun our community, and either attack or swim away quicker than thought whenever we approach.

Discover Something New Aoife spies a strange metal sphere bobbing up and down in the distance one day. As is our way, she left well enough alone and merely mentioned it to the community the next day. But it floated down and bumped up against our ship, so begrudgingly we took it on board. Inside we found it a preserved corpse in curious attire, sitting in front of instruments similar to the defunct control panels on our ship.

Projects : Fix the belltower (1), :siren: Build fog collectors (0) :siren:, Build fishing ships (2)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Project: Fog Collectors

They're easy to build using fabric and poles from the ship. No moving parts to maintain, and they turn the mist to our service. What's not to like?

Projects: Fix the belltower (1), Build fishing ships (2)
Scarcities: fish, curiosity

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 16, 2016

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Spring - Week 5

quote:

A charismatic young girl tries to tempt many into a sinful or dangerous activity. What does she do? How does the community respond.
The young Juni-- barely in her third decade of life-- sees the strange metal sphere, studies, and is inspired. If it protected that dead body for so long without ever being breached... she reasons that perhaps it could protect her, too, in the fog. She is willing to test it. She is inquisitive in a dangerous way. In the old way. She looks for assistance in her quest but none is offered. People just shake their heads at the folly of youth and hope she loses her nerve before she loses her life.

They are happy to help her push it off the ship, though. Good riddance to strange things.

Start a project Juni ties the sphere to a canoe and paddles it away from the ship. She carries with her some food and a knife and a spirit for adventure.

Projects : :siren: Fix the belltower (0) :siren:, Build fishing ships (1), Juni's expedition

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 16, 2016

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Project: Fix the belltower

We are fortunate that the bell remained intact. It is from the time before. Everything else is fixable. The bell is irreplaceable. We hoist it back to its rightful place and three solid rings signal to the ship, to the cliffs, to the world that once again the outpost is ours.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Spring -- Week 6

quote:

There's a giant, man-made structure on the map. Where is it? Why is it abandoned?

It's surprisingly easy to miss despite its size; between the mist and the cliffs all around, the pyramid is almost invisible until you're virtually on top of it. It's coated in something like iron, although it shows no signs of rust, and every inch of its surface boasts sculptures and carvings of monstrous-looking creatures.

There is a wide entrance, unlit, carpeted thick with fallen pine needles... but the eye birds have claimed this place, and why should we disturb them needlessly?

Hold a Discussion: Is Juni's adventuresome spirit really so bad?

Projects: :siren:Build fishing ships (0):siren:, Juni's adventure (? - 1)

How many weeks should Juni's adventure project be?

Also: Should we skip Fathis, or shall I draw a card on their behalf so they can make a post?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Project : Build fishing ships

We scavenged unused parts of the Home ship, we collected scrap along the shores and we fell trees. But it was worth it. We have not been able to fish near the outpost in many years and the fish are plentiful and docile.

Please move the ships to the river near the outpost, phone posting

Hold a Discussion: Is Juni's adventuresome spirit really so bad?

We are still rebuilding from our war. We are vulnerable and should be careful. People say the number of dyvanden sightings is increasing

Scarcities: curiosity

I can't update the map but if you PM me the card I'll have something within 24 hours. If you prefer to skip me I'd understand, no biggie, I'll be back in the game Sunday evening.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"This is a time for rebuilding. Someone should have woken that child's ancestors."

Okay. I'll pm you your card. Turn order stays the same. How discussions work is everyone gives some input, typically no more than a sentence or two, and then the turn ends.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 16, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
"Maybe Juni will come back and understand that it was foolish to leave, but hopefully she comes back even if doesn't learn."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
"Traditions are the wisdom of our ancestors. What arrogance to think that one could know better than thousands!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I had put this into my previous post but I think it might have gotten lost

"We are still rebuilding from our war. We are vulnerable and should be careful. People say the number of dyvanden sightings is increasing "

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I pm'd Fathis Munk but I haven't heard back and its now been 24 hours so we are moving on. For the record, if you open up a discussion with a question the discussion ends with you as well. If you open a discussion with a statement, you do not add one at the end. ibntumart, you're up. spoke literally minutes too soon

Project: Juni's Expedition

She is gone. A few people row over to the shore but find nothing. Not even an imprint of the sphere in the mud.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 18, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
E: ^^^ Talk about timing. Sorry with the DDoS thing I haven't been able to access the forums for most of yesterday and the last thing I had seen was you saying you'd skip me. Just came back and saw your PMs.

Spring -- Week 7

quote:

What group has the highest status in the community? What must people do to gain inclusion?

The elders are the most revered group among us, especially of the 4th generation. That's before the long sleep starts setting in and they are still awake and able to guide us most of the time.

Access is straightforward but nevertheless an important task, we live long and yet we can still die, it would be dangerous to forget the need to multiply.

Start a Project :
Observe the eye birds at the pyramid. What are they doing there and would there be a way to access it without disturbing them ?

Projects: Observe the Eye Birds (1 week)

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 18, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Week 8

quote:

An old piece of machinery is discovered, cursed and dangerous. How does the community destroy it?

Elin decides to look for Juni one more time, but finds a terrible thing instead. A weapon of the old nations, with death inside and the potential to level cities. How it ended up intact on our shores puzzles our community. Elin, Askr, and their young ones (barely in their 20s) take one of the new fishing boats and tug the thing away to the edge of the fjord, where they weigh it down and let it sink.

Action - Start a Project

Now that the fishing boats are done and proven water-worthy, our community decides to begin a concentrated fishing effort so we can build a stockpile of preserved fish.

Projects: :siren:Observe the Eye Birds (0):siren:, Stockpile Fish (3)

I think fish dropped off as a scarcity when the boats were built, but got added back in by accident. Someone please double-check that, though, since I might be misreading things!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
yes you're right, my mistake

Project : Observe the Eye Birds

The reports of our scouts show that the eye birds seem to have plans for the pyramid. All day long they carry twigs and moss inside and empty it of anything they can carry in their beaks.

The pyramid itself is always closely watched but the refuse pile containing the original contents seems of no interest to them.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Taking Contempt on curiosity/observing the eyebirds.

Spring - Week 9

quote:

You see a bad omen. What is it?

There are imprints of hands in the fog collectors. There are no tracks in the mud.

Action - Discussion: Harald brings up an interesting point: there is much upriver that we lost or abandoned during the war. Settlements. Supplies. Bodies. Perhaps it would be worth the effort to see if such things still exist and are usable. If they do and they are-- surely it is better that we get them rather than another group, right?

Projects: Stockpile Fish (2)
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (1), potatocubed (0),Fathis Munk (0), ibntumart (0)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It is true however we should approach with caution, who knows who might have already laid claim to those lands. Maybe we could settle for just watching that area from atop the belltower for now.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
We are long-lived and must necessarily think of the future. Additional resources would be useful.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
We should be prepared in case we meet hostile people also trying to claim
our abandoned supplies.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"I don't want another war."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Spring -- Week 10

quote:

Someone new arrives. Who?

She doesn't speak our language, but the alphabets are similar enough to learn that her name is Alexa. Through gesture and diagram we learn that she's from the south, some weeks away. She comes bearing trinkets for trade and the potential for more, later. She is shockingly young.

Start a Project: What with the eye birds, the handprints in the fog collectors, and this newcomer, it's time we saw to our defences. The ship is a natural fortress already, and with work we can make it into a true citadel.

Projects: Stockpile fish (1), turn the ship into a fortress (6)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Spring -- Week 11

quote:

Where does everyone sleep? Who is unhappy with this arrangement and why?

We are lucky to have the Home Ship, it provides us with rooms and beds that are superior to any the other tribes out there could dream of. However as our tribe grew the available rooms were quickly filled. All elders dreaming the long sleep have been moved to the sleeping place and the cabins have been attributed in function of generation. The ones unhappy are the youngest among us who have to share smaller cabins with more rudimentary beds.

Hold a discussion: What should we do with the stranger, it might be dangerous to let her leave, it might be even more dangerous to keep her here. Should we risk trading with her ?

Projects: :siren:Stockpile fish (0):siren:, turn the ship into a fortress (5)

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"If she wants to travel the wilds to bring is things so be it. Her risk. Our reward."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
She has brought no harm to us, so we should bring none to her. Hospitality is one of the oldest traditions, after all.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"She should leave as soon as she's done. Let's not let strangers make a habit of overstaying their welcome."

Technically Fathis Munk should close out the discussion before I post my week, but I won't have another chance to post until late tonight if I don't go now, so....

Project Completed - Stockpile Fish

The haul was plentiful and we worked hard to dry and salt as much as feasible. We prefer the fresh fish, but will appreciate the larders of preserved fish should we need to fortify the ship or something happens to the pools of fish in our lake.

Spring - Week 12

quote:

A young boy starts digging in the ground, and discovers something unexpected. What is it?

Juni's brother, Eski, leaves the ship one night and goes into the woodlands where the Dyvanden roam. He returns with wide eyes and badly hurt, but also with a discovery. "I followed a group and saw them dig at the ground, then disappear. I did the same and found a hatch to a metal room under the earth. I saw their machine," he says, shaking with fear. "But they saw me and I ran. They are faster than they should be."

Action - Hold a Discussion
"The Dyvanden are a perfect example of why we should not meddle or look too deeply into the world around us. Let us be take Juni and Eski as cautionary tales to mind our business and escape the world's notice as best we can."

Projects: Turn the ship into a fortress (4)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"We will trade with her and treat her fairly, but keep her a fair distance from our homes and our own. There is too much to lose."

---

"We should observe our neighbours but from a distance, if they don't threaten us, why would we care? The current first generation of the Erna family is getting far too bold! "

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"We must seal that hatch same as we did with the Jackals in the caves. That way it can never harm us."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
We cannot escape the world's notice -- Alexa is evidence of that. We should instead make sure we can survive its gaze.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Spring - Week 13

quote:

What important and basic tools does the community lack?

Glasses are sacred relics passed down family lines. But they are fragile things and far too few and every new crop of youngsters seems to need more and more. We've begun splitting them into monocles. The multicentury Ola, the woman who refuses to succumb to the long sleep like the rest of generation, who refuses to see reason, who calls for renewed exploration, and who encouraged Juni's dreadful experiment... Ola calls this increased shortsightedness "symbolic."

Action - Start a Project
Over fermented drinks, Maurits loudly reasserts his belief that Eski's hole should be sealed. He is large and popular and talks over any disagreement. The next morning he and his friends begin the long process of waking an elder. There is secret knowledge they need to borrow.

Projects: Turn the ship into a fortress (3), Seal the Dyvanden hole (5)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Summer -- Week 1

quote:

A Scarcity has gone unaddressed for too long!

Start a project that will alleviate that Scarcity.

Start a Project: Juni and Eski have inspired others among the younger members of our community. They meet by the bones of the Last Whale and make their attempts to understand the world; under the stubborn guidance of Ola these regular meetings may become a genuine college.

Start a Project: Following her dubious but generally positive reception, Alexa leaves. She promises to return in six weeks with goods to trade, and strides into the fog.

Projects: Turn the ship into a fortress (2), seal the Dyvanden hole (4), start a college (5), Alexa returns (6)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Taking 1 point of contempt on behalf of the older generations shaking their heads at the young wasting their precious energy.

Summer -- Week 2

quote:

An unattended situation becomes problematic and scary. What is it? How does it go awry?

The eye birds population has exploded. The younger ones are smaller but much more territorial and aggressive, they are spreading over the whole north of the fjord. The outpost is constantly getting harassed by flocks of young birds, they scratch and peck and while they haven't killed anyone yet, we cannot fish under these conditions. We need to act before their population spreads even more.

Start a Project: Set up a militia to protect our fishermen, this should be our first priority.

Projects: Turn the ship into a fortress (1), seal the Dyvanden hole (3), start a college (4), Alexa returns (5), Secure the Outpost (2)
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (1), potatocubed (0),Fathis Munk (1), ibntumart (0)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer - Week 3

quote:

A contingent within the community have acted on their frustrations. What have they damaged, and why did they damage it? Is it permanent?

Nen, Juri, and several others have grown angry at how bold we have become, leaving our ship and dreaming of other tribes and interfering with the doings of those under the lake. The boats are the both the symbol and the instrument by which people exercise their foolishness. If there are no boats, there is no leaving the ship to cause trouble.

So it is we wake one morning to see most of the boats burning on the shores beyond, and a smashed boat on the main deck.

Action - Hold a Discussion

Surely the Boat-Burners must be punished, but how?

Projects: :siren:Turn the ship into a fortress (0):siren:, seal the Dyvanden hole (2), start a college (3), Alexa returns (4), Secure the Outpost (1)
Abundances: longevity, preserved fish
Scarcities: curiosity, boats
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (1), potatocubed (0),Fathis Munk (1), ibntumart (0)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Takin' some contempt as the community gets rowdy.

"We have no prisons in which to keep them, no labour to set them to except that which they have already ruined, and we are too few to contemplate exile. So we should brand them with fire as they have branded us, that future generations might know those who act on their violent impulses."

----

Project: Turn the ship into a fortress
Too many divisions in the community, too many people doing things other than working. The ship will protect us from most assaults but there are weak points in its structure where people could not get the resources to reinforce, or where they felt they needed a secret way past the walls.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Let them be cast out from their family and join the Nameless. They shall be stripped from their elder rank, to live as the lowest of the lowest among us and their very memory will be a dark stain on their line's history.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"Burning our fishing boats? Now who's being foolish? Seal them in their rooms for the rest of the year."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"Whatever their punishment, we should make sure not to hobble their usefulness to the community for too long. We can't afford it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Summer - Week 4

quote:

Someone tries to take control of the community by force. Do they succeed? Why do they do this?

The Boat-Burners do not take talks of punishment well. With red, flustered faces they scream at the community to see reason. When this moves no one, they draw weapons.

Our numbers were small. They are even smaller now.

Action - Discover Something New
The outpost reports seeing lights at the ruins of one of our old settlements.

Projects: seal the Dyvanden hole (1), start a college (2), Alexa returns (3), :siren: Secure the Outpost (0) :siren:
Abundances: longevity, preserved fish
Scarcities: curiosity, boats
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (1), potatocubed (1),Fathis Munk (1), ibntumart (0)

• Locked thread