Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

Also, Driveclub will be available at launch for $40.
Awesome, I can't wait to avoid buying Driveclub all over again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff was talking about how great Rez is and the bonus level they added is one of the best things he's experienced in VR. I never played the original, but pre-ordered a physical copy since I assume it's got to be the perfect type of game for VR.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 21, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Weird that Drive Club is $10 cheaper than Rigs. In :canada: anyway

Oh well another purchase. Good thing real estate goes up 30% in value every year or I wouldn't be able to afford all these gadgets.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rez might get me. I'm not gonna preorder but if Rez is good enough in VR, I won't be able to stop myself from impulse purchasing a PSVR once they're on shelves. God help me if it looks better on a Pro.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dehry posted:

The choices were Hotub Anime Girl, Happy Manger, or Summer Lesson

The best Japanese as heck VR I saw demoed was オルタナティブガールズVR with great interactions of characters, made for seated/non-moving so the Vive demo was a little off but did a great job in getting VN-like content running so effectively and charmingly in VR.

My will is of course to get serious business non-fanservice VNs going, imagine Summer Lesson level NPC interaction in a murder mystery game?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's like someone took the tesseract scene from interstellar and turned it in to a video game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Area X reminds of the tech demos they had at the PS4 reveal event with hundreds of millions of particles flying around. Guess that tech finally got used for something.

New video for 12 Foot Robot Deathmatch RIGS

Still iffy on porting high speed, high agility FPS movement straight to VR, even in a cockpit environment. Hopefully we get more demo impressions from EGX.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

Still iffy on porting high speed, high agility FPS movement straight to VR, even in a cockpit environment. Hopefully we get more demo impressions from EGX.
Some people will vomit from it, some won't. I felt comfortable in Battlezone but those tanks are decidedly grounded. Hoping that means I tolerate it well in general but who knows. I've been staring at screens for just about my whole life so it would be really weird to me if I suddenly had a problem with 'more screen'. But then again I did go to an IMAX back when they were all educational stuff and I did get just a touch of vertigo. Nothing that drove me away, though.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Briefly considered grabbing the physical release of Rez Infinite. The cheapest shipping was going to add about $12.50 to the price and that's just hard to swallow in a post Amazon Prime world.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

VR in a cockpit scenario actually felt totally natural to me (I tried a PSVR Battlezone demo) just because there was an in-game explanation for why I'm floating everywhere and controlling my perspective with my neck but my movement with my controller. I think that porting a traditional FPS where you're supposed to be controlling a human body without making players puke is going to be way trickier.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also had no problem with Battlezone, but that didn't have a jump button.

I totally agree about traditional FPSes. Farpoint solves the problem by having you move very, very slowly and not giving you any rotate ability other than head movement.

A bunch of important people report that Area X is so beautiful they cried.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just for the record people are really overestimating the appeal of the '2d media on giant vr cinema screen', at least in its current-gen implementation.

At least on the vive it's certainly a neat gimmick, but the screen resolution just isn't good enough to make it something worth doing on a regular basis. Playing games you don't really notice the resolution because you're immersed in a reality. Watching a movie you're just sitting looking at pixels. I'd rather watch a movie on my fancy 1444p monitor any day of the week for sure.

Where it is pretty cool is with 3d SBS bluray rips. The true, no crosstalk 3d effect is only the second time I've ever seen a movie in 3d and thought it was cooler than it would have been in 2d (first was force awakens on a laser imax system)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/my-trippy-day-playing-rez-infinites-final-level-with-its-creator/ posted:

By the way, for those thinking about buying the newest, upgraded PlayStation 4 Pro, Enhance Games has confirmed to Ars that such hardware will also lend a few upgrades to the VR version of Rez Infinite, and those will be announced "closer to the launch of PS4 Pro."

gently caress

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

acksplode posted:

gently caress
Not surprising. I hope someone offers a good Pro trade-in deal at some point but given that Gamestop would be the ones to do it here and they're greedy fucks I don't have a whole lot of hope.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

RIGS is definitely a game I'm going to get from Gamefly. I don't really like FPS games anymore, but it looks pretty good visually and want to try it out. Jeff from Giantbomb has been making GBS threads on the Batman VR thing, it's only like $17 with Amazon Prime pre-order though...

I'm fully anticipating the Pro to play VR stuff better, to the point where it was a huge factor in considering cancelling my PSVR pre-order. Everyone says games run fine on the regular PS4 though and even if I wanted a Pro there's no way I would be patient enough to wait on PSVR until the pro is released.

I know everyone says the PSVR is the most comfortable for glasses wearers, but ordered some contacts anyways.

Ohvee posted:

Briefly considered grabbing the physical release of Rez Infinite. The cheapest shipping was going to add about $12.50 to the price and that's just hard to swallow in a post Amazon Prime world.

Yea it's some serious bullshit, especially considering they aren't even guaranteeing a release day shipment for that cost to ship. Unless they are shipping from Alaska or something, there's no way they aren't pocketing at least half of that money as a way to probably get around paying more to the devs. :tinfoil:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 22, 2016

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if they charge you immediately for the Rez Infinite pre order or charge when it ships?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amazon should charge on ship, not sure about anywhere else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

Amazon should charge on ship, not sure about anywhere else.

gamestop and amazon charge on ship or the day before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

katkillad2 posted:

Jeff from Giantbomb has been making GBS threads on the Batman VR thing, it's only like $17 with Amazon Prime pre-order though...

Someone on Reddit claims that Batman VR is going to get store demos soon, so you might be able to save that $17 too.

Other VR news bits:

Podcast and screenshots about Robinson: The Journey. Virtual dinosaur manipulation puzzles. And I guess it really does look that good.

Brief impression of the Tomb Raider VR mission. It'll support both free movement and teleportation, so you can play it no matter how strong your inner ear and stomach are.

Someone completely losing their poo poo in Farpoint at TGS. Starts at 0:35, covers the whole rest of the demo level.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How much would I be missing out on by not having a couple Move controllers handy when this thing releases?

Better question: Should I get two Move controllers?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Move support is a critical part of the immersion for me imo. Look at how Oculus suffered by not having controllers at launch. I'm afraid they won't make many games for it because it's not required though.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Move support is a critical part of the immersion for me imo. Look at how Oculus suffered by not having controllers at launch. I'm afraid they won't make many games for it because it's not required though.

If anything kills a peripheral, it's being optional, and this is an optional peripheral FOR an optional peripheral, so yeah it'll get exactly one game post-launch probably.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
London Heist's shoot-out is cool but Rush of Blood with Move lets you use the guns like you'd expect. You can shoot two targets at a time, you can shoot off-screen and hit targets using some sixth sense poo poo, you can aim down sights, you can do the gangsta thing, you reload the sawn-off shotgun by flicking it, I regret never trying to shoot myself but surely it is in there. RoB is also playable with the DS4 but it's both guns pointing somewhat the same direction and it's just hrorid to look at after experiencing it with Move controllers.

If there's cash to spare for launch and you're looking at games and demos that use Move, go for it, they add SO much, and they are very well-tracked and functional despite lacking sticks and d-pads, teleport-style movement will be best for games using them. Agreeing that the future of their support is unclear though, and then that Move-gun controller for Farpoint. Hurm.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

dropkickpikachu posted:

If anything kills a peripheral, it's being optional, and this is an optional peripheral FOR an optional peripheral, so yeah it'll get exactly one game post-launch probably.
it's part of the main bundle they're pushing though? :confused:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm more skeptical of that gun peripheral than the move controllers. There are a lot of games that support the move controllers I believe. While I definitely want Farpoint I'm not sure I want to buy that gun for what might be a single game that supports it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CrashCat posted:

There's a bundle without Move controllers but PSVR requires the Move camera to work so it seems unlikely there will be a lot of people who have the headset but zero Move controllers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

Doubly so since the Move controllers are very much the weak link in the hardware. The headset tracking is rock solid, but unfortunately the controller tracking is much the same as it always was.

CrashCat posted:

As I understand it developers of the first wave of PSVR games are required to make their games playable without the Move controller. So even if attachment rate is high, developers can still only use it in "optional" ways.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

Podcast and screenshots about Robinson: The Journey. Virtual dinosaur manipulation puzzles. And I guess it really does look that good.

:homebrew:

Ok... let me pre-order and pre-load the game already.

Edit: It's not actually coming out on Oct 13th is it :smith:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 24, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

Doubly so since the Move controllers are very much the weak link in the hardware. The headset tracking is rock solid, but unfortunately the controller tracking is much the same as it always was.

The Move issue I found with PSVR is that the lighter colours go first when it's too bright. Dropped the blinders, adjusted the background at the demo station and it was perfect, hold the Move-hands steady and they were always steady in-game. They were shaking and shivering before dropping the blinds, the purple light Move eventually lost touch completely, making the right hand in the London Heist demo sit mid-air several car-lenghts ahead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The DS4 can act as a sort of misshapen Move with the motion sensors and the camera tracking the lightbar. Some of the VR games actually put a virtual DS4 in your view when you hold it up- in Superhypercube it's a neon wireframe :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2016/09/dead-alive-xtreme-3-playstation-vr-update-delayed

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 update delayed.

Crap. Now I actually have to buy a VR game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
The mall tour is currently active in my area so off I went to it today. (Same mall has the only Microsoft store in town and they've had a staffed Vive demo on for a few months now, with 6 demos total from Steam VR lab. So I've had multiple tastes of that all summer since I Iive 15 minutes walk from the place.)

Since this was outside of peak time I wound up doing 4 of the demos, same demo station - a vanilla PS4:

-EVE struck me as being lower-res or lacking antialiasing; the cockpit graphics were more "chunky" than anything I can recall running on a PS4. noticeable before you launch into space of course, no doubt done for the better frame rate and just being a demo. (Not that noticeable on the other 3 demos either.) That said, none of the Vive demos offer this genre, and the gameplay was fine and took me right back to the 90s with all those memories of TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. What's old is new again.

-Battlezone, while very fun, also takes the title for the first media to give me nausea in a long, long time. I can't recall the last thing that did (besides sitting way too close to the monitor for Doom 2) and I'm the kind of 3D fan that buys 3D movies, plays any PS3 game that supports it in that mode, and has TriDef installed on my PC. Stereoscopic stuff for hours on end at home and plenty of theatrical/IMAX movies don't affect me, this game did. But the staffer said I was also moving my head more than most patrons have done so maybe that's the reason. That said, this was probably the strongest effect I've ever felt of making you feel like you're moving despite being stationary, and that's really nifty. Plus it was plenty of fun so I'll perfectly willing to down some Gravol first when I get this game.

-SuperHyperCube looked like a bit of a Zen puzzle experience, and it is, and it's great. Ever find yourself routinely popping on something like Race the Sun for equal parts zoning out and excitement? You'll get that from this. It's also the first time I've noticed beams of light directed right at me in VR, like standing in front of a glass patio door on a sunny day. Less is more, simple does much, etc. I doubt anyone would dislike this.

-PSVR Worlds Deep Dive is akin to the Sunken Ship Vive demo, with a notable exception: the latter is about a sense of wonder, this one is all about suspense and tension. It's a non-interactive tech demo but it used to be an experience you'd have to pay money for at some tourist trap or carnival; this time it's free. I can't wait to see filmmakers make narrative projects with this stuff.

As for the hardware: Not uncomfortable at all, but the Vive definitely feels "better." The PSVR feels cheaper in quite a few ways compared to the Vive, but that's because it *is*. But when it's literally half the price, with no need for hardware upgrades, that's fine. The Vive goes for $1149 CDN, the PSVR pamphlet given out lists either pack at $550 or 700 CDN. (Holler if you want a scan.) I found the Vive is easier to get a non-blurry view going, but maybe it'll be easier at home where the staffer isn't under time pressure. (Battlezone and SHC came in the sharpest and easiest to focus.) I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison, but that's also moot since I was planning on having both someday anyhow.

The inherent value of all that, of course, does depend on the final state of the games, and how many more actually get released in the coming years. That said, thumbs up. I want one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't find the Vive to be superior except for the controllers and room scale (which is not insignificant). Was actually underwhelmed by it considering the cost. I tried PSVR first.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

These EVE Valkyrie store demos must be old like the RE7 E3 one and scaling up from a sub1080p resolution. I got blur but not unplayable amounts of it without my glasses, sharp and fine with glasses (did Rush of Blood with and without them)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

For anyone who's been able to demo it, how does it work with glasses? I'm getting :corsair: and while my distance vision is still sharp I need reading glasses for poo poo up close. Anyone else in this boat - does it not matter or will I have to put my idiot readers on to have things be not blurry?

This is from the first page but you're thinking of it the wrong way. These things focus the image so that you're basically staring at something ~1.5m away from your eyes, so if you have no problem with that you won't need glasses. I'm nearsighted myself, so I needed to wear mine since as far as my eyes are concerned I'm looking at stuff that's relatively far away.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I didn't find the Vive to be superior except for the controllers and room scale (which is not insignificant). Was actually underwhelmed by it considering the cost. I tried PSVR first.
Interesting, the difference in visual quality wasn't enough to impress? I'm surprised but then I haven't even looked to see if anyone had Vive demos nearby ever

A bit of a bummer about the Move controllers but secretly I still prefer my gamepad anyway. I wonder if the thing about light is the actual reason they would not demo Move controllers at the demo I went to. I was told some loving totally bullshit sounding story about Best Buy not allowing demos with swear words but just not working in high light noise makes more sense. I usually have the blinds shut anyway cause there's no good view from my apartment though so that's not a big deal personally.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Those of you who have Vive/OR, how does the 120hz interpolated PSVR action compare to a solid 90hz PCVR? Hard to benchmark. I know 60 vs 95 vs 120 in Quakegames made a difference in response worth sticking to back in those days.

All I know is that I cannot stand non-video material on phone-VR with 60hz..

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 24, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Elman posted:

This is from the first page but you're thinking of it the wrong way. These things focus the image so that you're basically staring at something ~1.5m away from your eyes, so if you have no problem with that you won't need glasses. I'm nearsighted myself, so I needed to wear mine since as far as my eyes are concerned I'm looking at stuff that's relatively far away.
You are absolutely correct. I got to demo it last night and even though the thing is mashed up on your face your focal distance is far away (how do they do this poo poo? magic!) so I didn't need my reading glasses at all. Coincidentally they were also demoing Oculus so I got to see the difference between the two.

Now obviously the Rift looked better since it was hooked up to what was probably a $2k rig, but the difference wasn't between Sega Genesis and PS4 levels of graphics. The PSVR you could see the pixels at first but I guess you could say you adjusted and then the graphics looked fine. One of the Rift demo things was standing on the edge of a skyscraper looking down and I actually got vertigo a bit. I think this was mostly because in the demo I didn't have any feet so I was just sort of hovering 65 stories up. Still neat though.

The Rift headset was more comfortable, but neither were bad. I dunno how they would feel after hours of use. The Rift demo was standing up so you could move around and the PSVR was a seated demo. I assume you can move around with both, but my living room is really small so I'd just end up falling over the coffee table anyway. I brought a friend with me so I got to see how stupid you look flailing around with a box on your head (yes, you do look like a dipshit but who cares :v: ).

I tried the Eve demo on PSVR. I got the motion "eurgh" for a couple of seconds, but it went away pretty fast. It would have been cool if I could pilot my ship by head tracking. Playing a flight sim game with a stick would have also been really neat, or any kind of more immersive controller setup like a wheel for driving. An FPS where you used a Move controller to aim would be good. I was joking that I might get better at CoD since I can actually shoot IRL, would be interesting to see.

Also the guy said that all the preorders were sold out but they were going to have extras for sale in-store on release day so if you really want one go to Best Buy early and see if you can snag one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SubponticatePoster posted:

You are absolutely correct. I got to demo it last night and even though the thing is mashed up on your face your focal distance is far away (how do they do this poo poo? magic!) so I didn't need my reading glasses at all. Coincidentally they were also demoing Oculus so I got to see the difference between the two.

Now obviously the Rift looked better since it was hooked up to what was probably a $2k rig, but the difference wasn't between Sega Genesis and PS4 levels of graphics. The PSVR you could see the pixels at first but I guess you could say you adjusted and then the graphics looked fine. One of the Rift demo things was standing on the edge of a skyscraper looking down and I actually got vertigo a bit. I think this was mostly because in the demo I didn't have any feet so I was just sort of hovering 65 stories up. Still neat though.

The Rift headset was more comfortable, but neither were bad. I dunno how they would feel after hours of use. The Rift demo was standing up so you could move around and the PSVR was a seated demo. I assume you can move around with both, but my living room is really small so I'd just end up falling over the coffee table anyway. I brought a friend with me so I got to see how stupid you look flailing around with a box on your head (yes, you do look like a dipshit but who cares :v: ).

I tried the Eve demo on PSVR. I got the motion "eurgh" for a couple of seconds, but it went away pretty fast. It would have been cool if I could pilot my ship by head tracking. Playing a flight sim game with a stick would have also been really neat, or any kind of more immersive controller setup like a wheel for driving. An FPS where you used a Move controller to aim would be good. I was joking that I might get better at CoD since I can actually shoot IRL, would be interesting to see.

Also the guy said that all the preorders were sold out but they were going to have extras for sale in-store on release day so if you really want one go to Best Buy early and see if you can snag one.

apperently the free COD VR thing(which is basicaly a 30 min space fighter mission) will have head camera head tracking. so you can move your head around and your pilot in the ship will respond acordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently the free COD VR thing(which is basicaly a 30 min space fighter mission) will have head camera head tracking. so you can move your head around and your pilot in the ship will respond acordingly.
I understand why they don't do it by default but it'd be a nice feature if you held down a button or something, kind of like in War Thunder. I imagine IRL if you're a fighter pilot you might want to look somewhere other than where you're flying.