Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Nanomashoes posted:

How come every VR game has this dedication to the lovely room area experience where you gently caress around with your hands in a confined location and teleport around? I just wanna play a game where it controls normally but you can look around, like Rez is the only good looking game that's been shown so far. Ace Combat 7 is maybe the only game I can think of that makes me want to buy this, because presumably you'll just have a cool cockpit view while playing it like a normal ace combat game.

I've got pre-emptive hots for Ace Combat 7 VR but the deal with moving freely on foot no matter how slow is that it's a recipe for motion sickness, something Sony want to minimize, with comfort level software on devkits and then some. Even the super comfortable Battlezone has made people ill.

Manatee Cannon posted:

this thing is kinda low resolution and the games seem bad

The social screen we're seeing is a stretched 960x1080 thus ugly as dirt.

e: watching Jeff's in-game view of Battlezone it's clear something is 100% boned. Was not like that in demo stations or the other media outlet videos I've watched of it, but that camera is now over-exposing hard as hell on his LEDs and making them black. Retail units VS demo/dev units problem?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't mean the dashboard, they mentioned that. I'm saying the games look bad. the background in the batman game, for example

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wow, this Giantbomb preview is really bumming me out :smith:. Like, I don't know how I can purchase this thing unless they say they are going to fix the camera issues between now and release.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the-kotaku-review-1787424830

Reviews aren't too positive so far. I really hope that dev unit they showed off at best buy wasn't a PS4 Pro.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sony-playstation-vr-review EG managed to framegrab the feed that's going to the headset, figured out the 120hz interpolation trick, found weaknesses in tracking but nothing worldbreaking like so many others. I wish I could wait for Ace Combat 7 before jumping in.

Dehry posted:

Reviews aren't too positive so far. I really hope that dev unit they showed off at best buy wasn't a PS4 Pro.

PS4 Pro has been used with certain Farpoint demo stations only

e: what Brad just said on the stream indicates serious gyro drift issues

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 5, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

drat that sucks. It's already at a price I'm not comfortable paying at like loving $800 CAD. It would have to be a great, smooth experience to justify that price tag. Looks like I'm sitting out of this first generation of VR :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What issues were occurring with the GiantBbomb? I watched the feed with the ata king for a. It and it looked ok. Did they fix it or is it title-based?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Feenix posted:

What issues were occurring with the GiantBbomb? I watched the feed with the ata king for a. It and it looked ok. Did they fix it or is it title-based?
They were talking about jitter in all the tracking, including controllers and headset. I didn't notice headset jittering on stream but Jeff was about to barf it was so bad. The wandering when just holding the Dual Shock 4 was bad but I kind of expected that considering it's just a lightbar and not made for that. The move controllers seemed to move smoothly on screen but they have complained about suddenly losing tracking and mentioned that it wrecked the game when they were playing the one where you stack blocks and try not to tip them over because the control was suddenly lost.

Basically if you can, go try a demo at a nearby store first, and if you do get one be fully prepared to return the unit for a refund.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dehry posted:

The demo I did at Best Buy had the console visible next to the TV and it wasn't a Pro. It also didn't have any tracking issues, or at least not enough to disturb me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

The demo I did at Best Buy had the console visible next to the TV and it wasn't a Pro. It also didn't have any tracking issues, or at least not enough to disturb me.
Yeah, that's the thing, while the resolution in the PSVR was low, enough to make me think of a handheld unit almost, the tracking was very smooth. If I have nearly the trouble these guys are suggesting I am going to return it immediately. I would definitely consider it to be a defect. There wasn't anything visible on the demo units to suggest that they're any different than what the reviewers have got either, at the very least the housing and whatnot all look the same to me. I am really wondering if they overproduced and put out a huge batch of defective units.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

Right now there's serious drift going on with Brad's headset. Turns his head the right way toward the camera and calibrates, then it within minutes drifts to the side so he eventually has to turn his head close to 90 degrees to "see straight" in VR.

No wonder that Eurogamer guy had to get a replacement PSVR. Sucks to see happen.

e: got an old Galaxy phone that drifts like this, can't watch short Cardboard VR 360 videos in it without having to spin around with it

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 5, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's really surprising that reviewers are seeing widespread issues with headset tracking; they've really come out of nowhere. I've seen loads of PSVR demos at a wide variety of distances and light levels, and no-one ever seemed to get the kinds of issues reviewers are seeing. Almost enough to make me wonder if it's something crazy like a badly timed broken software update.

I'm sure things will become clearer in the next few weeks as these things start going out in numbers. On the plus side everything except the tracking seems to be getting really positive reception.

fake edit: Well that and the game prices, obviously.

MrLonghair posted:

Right now there's serious drift going on with Brad's headset. Turns his head the right way toward the camera and calibrates, then it within minutes drifts to the side so he eventually has to turn his head close to 90 degrees to "see straight" in VR.

No wonder that Eurogamer guy had to get a replacement PSVR. Sucks to see happen.

I'm 99% certain that's a software bug in that game, not a hardware thing. The way the tracking works there should be no way for a hardware issue to cause rotation drift.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More reviews:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/playstation-vr-provides-a-lot-of-bang-for-your-virtual-reality-buck/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/13167954/playstation-vr-review-ps4-psvr-virtual-reality-headset-controllers

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna guess that the outfit that manufactured the PSVR did it to a price and quality control is probably an issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrashCat posted:

They were talking about jitter in all the tracking, including controllers and headset. I didn't notice headset jittering on stream but Jeff was about to barf it was so bad. The wandering when just holding the Dual Shock 4 was bad but I kind of expected that considering it's just a lightbar and not made for that. The move controllers seemed to move smoothly on screen but they have complained about suddenly losing tracking and mentioned that it wrecked the game when they were playing the one where you stack blocks and try not to tip them over because the control was suddenly lost.

Basically if you can, go try a demo at a nearby store first, and if you do get one be fully prepared to return the unit for a refund.

Oh, I did. I tried Battlezone and it was glorious. And mine arrives next week. Have to see if it has issues...

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

SwissCM posted:

I'm gonna guess that the outfit that manufactured the PSVR did it to a price and quality control is probably an issue.

Yeah I think both the Rift and the Vive have serious factory calibration rigs and that poo poo is baked into the device firmware. Robots and tolerances arn't 100% perfect when placing poo poo so they have to bake in correction at the hardware level.

Gyro chips can vary pretty wildly also... where like 3 chips from the same manufacturer in the same board can all report different values which is why Inside out tracking is super hard to do without the use of some 3rd party tracking solution like lasers / AR markers.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Curiously, the Rift and PSVR are both manufactured by the same company.

There's the possibility that the superior positional tracking that the Rift uses could be the big difference. The PSVR likely has to fall back on IMU data a lot more heavily compared to both the Rift and Vive as the camera tracking tech they're using is sorta primitive by comparison.

EDIT: Primitive isn't really the right word, it's actually pretty clever. It's just less accurate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's kind of amazing from an engineering perspective that all of Sony's weird experiments and leftover tech came together to work in a unified system in the end.

GiantBomb currently discovering that humans make terrible camera platforms.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

It's kind of amazing from an engineering perspective that all of Sony's weird experiments and leftover tech came together to work in a unified system in the end.

GiantBomb currently discovering that humans make terrible camera platforms.

They are all too familiar with camera games. Mayhap you've heard of the Kinect ?

When Jeff was playing at the start I could see the little movement of the camera he was seeing moving forward and back. (Full screen on a monitor in hd). It was definitely there and not an artifact in the encoding because you kept seeing it at different angles.

It was very slight but in vr movement of the vision when your real eyes are not moving is, as someone reminded me, just a train to barfstowns.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess Game Informer did a stream today too, I haven't checked it out but here's a youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg6AzIYDSa4

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Jim Sterling did a review of it as well. He actually likes it more than his vive. But that is because his spine is recovering from an injury and almost all vive games require you to twist and turn and PSVR games are more couch based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOQ7qv6IIw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony posted a launch lineup and future games list, they apparently missed some and obviously didn't include Japanese titles so so these people have it on lock.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

And there you have it- that's what a native video player can look like when it puts in more effort than just enabling cinematic mode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haveblue posted:

And there you have it- that's what a native video player can look like when it puts in more effort than just enabling cinematic mode.

poo poo, I hate that it's Hulu and not a service I actually subscribe to.
Come on Netflix/YouTube/or even Sony's Media Player supporting fake environments.

At least we have a few of the 360-degree video producers adding their apps to the PSVR. That's something.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

As far as I can see PSVR has internal and external tracking and it's those inner sensors in too many of the units sent to media giving poo poo, that they at all get that high priority seems to be a design decision in guaranteeing not 100% losing tracking when somebody walks in front of the camera or whatever. My old phone drifts to the right in Cardboard VR so I'm praying my unit comes in healthy.

Best news of the day is that Giantbomb will take a look at Summer Lesson :lol:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MrLonghair posted:

Best news of the day is that Giantbomb will take a look at Summer Lesson :lol:
After showing both Gal Gun games there's no way they could miss Summer Lesson

Creeper Cam won't be as effective with a headset covering Jeff's eyes though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Policenaut posted:

Sony posted a launch lineup and future games list, they apparently missed some and obviously didn't include Japanese titles so so these people have it on lock.
Good to finally see a solid list or two, there's a few more VR-modes being added to games I already own that I didn't know about. Also apparently the Trackmania update was pushed back to November so I will have to wait for the true vomit experience

Also surprised that not only the Miku concert thing is there but also some VR mode for the regular Miku game, and then also an Idolmaster concert thing for the Japanese folks. I guess they have their target demo figured out.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

CrashCat posted:

Creeper Cam won't be as effective with a headset covering Jeff's eyes though

They need to rig up a micro camera inside the headset.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

I really don't get the draw of this, so I'd be watching flat content on a worse resolution than a normal TV, with the FOV mostly taken up by a distracting fake world?

Is it to experience the illusion that I have a nice apartment or something

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really don't get the draw of this, so I'd be watching flat content on a worse resolution than a normal TV, with the FOV mostly taken up by a distracting fake world?

Same. I kind of get it if you're simulating a massive screen TV/theater but not a normal sized one like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree, it does say there are multiple environments though so I hope one of them has a bigger screen for the content.

I don't see myself using that at all (even if I had a Hulu account) but someone was asking about it earlier ITT.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Apparently the general score for PSVR is 8.6, which is quite amazing. I know scores don't say much, but at least it tells you it isn't terrible.

Also, when I tried the PSVR I had no issues at all. This seems really weird....

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's also a cinematic mode that offers just a black space with a massive screen of 266 inch. I think that'll definitely be worth it, it works with anything (it basically just puts the UI on a virtual screen).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have to assume the distance from the fake TV is adjustable, like the distance of the floating picture in Cinematic Mode, but yeah just to look pleasant and have a private screen is all. You could theoretically watch something on the PSVR while the TV is switched to another input watching another show I suppose, I don't think I would pay for that privilege though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

GameSpot's live stream of PSVR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzFXw-kOEc

NO TRACKING ISSUES

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
This is from the VR thread by StarkRavingMad

quote:

Brad was doing it just fine sitting up and then the chat suggested that he try it laying down because that's the luge position. Brad laid down and the tracking went all wiggy so that he was looking at it sideways because the camera couldn't figure out what he was doing, so he tapped out. Then Dan wanted to try it and told Jeff to make it as horrible as possible, so they were intentionally loving with the camera at that point.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

IGN review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX8wlviCYIE

Polygon review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Mg_K6d7nw

Still watching so no comment yet

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 5, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was in a bright EB Games and Move/headtracking worked great. No issues at all. Playing around with the van dashboard uzi and reloading in London Heist was loving amazing and sold me on it.

I've got a blank white wall behind my couch so hopefully it will work well.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I guess I'll just confirm with Gamestop guy that if there are tracking issues I'll be able to return it. Tracking issues aside there was some great stuff on the GB stream.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So I take it you can't get two vr headsets connected to one system for mp stuffs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only one VR headset per system but there are multiplayer games based around it.