Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Chargers - James Harris in '78
Colts - Josh Freeman last year
Chiefs - Warren Moon in 2000
Texans - Tony Banks in '03
Broncos - Jarious Jackson in '03
Dolphins - Cleo Lemon in '05
Cardinals - Shaun King in '04

e- dammit new page, in reference to starting black QBs for teams last page. I don't know if that's the first black QB to start for a particular team because I ain't doing that much research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: wrong thread

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Hey this thread is really funny considering Dak Prescott is a rookie who is 2-1
Carson Wentz looks like the future at 3-0
Trevor Semen is 3-0
even Jimmy G and Brissett look fine

but drat, once Brees and Brady retire there will be no talent left!

there will always be a shortage of truly great QBs because it's a rare thing to excel at but there will always be replacements ready to step up

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I'm not sure it's QB play I'm concerned about. I do think the quality of NFL play has gone down a bit since the last CBA made rookie contracts not insane anymore. Teams are more likely to sign / start rookie players over veterans for salary cap reasons. It creates a lopsided team that will be top heavy.

I think offensive line play has gotten worse in the past few years. I know it sounds like sour grapes coming from a Seahawks fan, but I don't think they are alone in having piss poor offensive lines. There's a lot of untested rookies that are going to start over veterans in this league since they'll make a lot less money. Having a team with an offensive line to protect a developing QB seems to be critical. I'm not sure about RG3 but I think Andrew Luck would be in a lot better place if he wasn't hit so much.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
yeah well tim tebow would've been the greatest of them all had the liberal media + NFL establishment run him off with their godlessness

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I think the O lines have also been hit by the new practice restrictions. Lines function better as a group the more time they play together and they get less practice time than ever now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm not sure why there is supposed to be a quarterback crisis when the Broncos just found this kid in the 7th and he seems pretty good :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Febreeze posted:

even Jimmy G and Brissett look fine

I dunno about Brisket, he basically did as little as possible while the Texans self destructed, besides that one big run with his elite 5.0 40 lol speed.

Your overall point is spot on though.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Febreeze posted:

I think the O lines have also been hit by the new practice restrictions. Lines function better as a group the more time they play together and they get less practice time than ever now.

Geoff Schwartz said something along those lines in an article he wrote for MMQB not too long ago. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/11/geoff-schwartz-guest-monday-morning-qb-nfl-detroit-lions

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Also, probably safe at this point to move Cutler, Fitzgerald and probably Tannehill down into the "poo poo" category but, at the same time, probably equally safe to move Wentz, Prescott and Seimen up into "good" or "adequate" too.

I don't see a competency crisis at the position in any way whatsoever.

Just for kicks, I went back again - 20 years ago this time - and looked at the starters for each team.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=P&yr=1996&lg=NFL

You've got Elway, Favre, Young, Aikmen and Marino (plus Jim Kelly and Boomer Esiason on the back end of their careers) but you've also got (decent) players like Bledsoe, Brad Johnson, Jef Hostetler along with guys like Jeff Blake, Ty Detmer, Chris Chandler, Gus Ferrotte, Kerry Collins, Stan Humphries, Scott Mitchell, Kent Graham (?), Bobby Hebert, Jim Harbaugh, Dave Krieg, Mark Brunell, Mike Tomzack and Tony Banks.

Hardly legends.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I think offensive line play has gotten worse in the past few years. I know it sounds like sour grapes coming from a Seahawks fan, but I don't think they are alone in having piss poor offensive lines.

:agreed:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably true but I wonder how much of that has to do with the increased ratio of passing to running plays? Maybe if anything there's a crisis of offensive lineman. You don't see teams these days just grind a defense down like the Redskins, the Giants, the Steelers and the Cowboys used to do.

Only a few teams really just line up and punch you in the mouth anymore behind a wall of big angry ogres. For a long time there, several O-lines were the very definition of the team (90's Cowboys, 80's Redskins, 70's Raiders and Dolphins).

Lastly, and pretty unrelated, I've always wondered how much the idea that "good teams run the football" has to with those winning teams usually being ahead and running the clock, hence running the ball more often and racking up more rushing yards. Teams that are routinely getting their asses kicked tend to throw more and vice versa.

Anyone got any cool books or websites that analyze "football by the numbers" the way Bill James and Sabermetricians do with baseball? Correlating overall stats with winning and losing? I've always looked at yards per play, yards per play allowed and turnover differential as the most important stats, and I love reading this sort of thing, but football is so much different than baseball to analyze this way because it's so much more contextual. I've noticed over the last few years that these stats don't always translate to on field success the way they used to.

A good team might give a lot of passing yards simply because they're ahead a lot and playing prevent. Similarly, they might have high rushing totals since they're protecting a lot of leads and grinding clock.

TL/DR: I'm interested in good books or websites that analyze player and team performance using numbers , stats and context.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
^^ People will baby whine because they hate numbers that they didn't grow up with and they can't trust with just a single glance, but your starting point on this is definitely Football Outsiders.

The standard for quarterback play moves by a measurable amount almost every year.

In '96 seven guys had a completion % over 60. In 2015 8 guys had a comp % UNDER 60%. 3 guys threw for 4000 yards in '96, 12 in 2015 including quarterbacks who are not a majority consensus "good" like Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Bort, Stafford, and Cousins. Passer rating is not a good value stat, but only 2 guys were over 90 in 1996 and 6 were over 100 in 2015. 5 quarterbacks had an int% of >3.0, last year 5 had a <3.0%, etc. Bortles last year and Testaverde in 96 look remarkably similar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Badfinger posted:

^^ People will baby whine because they hate numbers that they didn't grow up with and they can't trust with just a single glance, but your starting point on this is definitely Football Outsiders.

The standard for quarterback play moves by a measurable amount almost every year.

In '96 seven guys had a completion % over 60. In 2015 8 guys had a comp % UNDER 60%. 3 guys threw for 4000 yards in '96, 12 in 2015 including quarterbacks who are not a majority consensus "good" like Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Bort, Stafford, and Cousins. Passer rating is not a good value stat, but only 2 guys were over 90 in 1996 and 6 were over 100 in 2015. 5 quarterbacks had an int% of >3.0, last year 5 had a <3.0%, etc. Bortles last year and Testaverde in 96 look remarkably similar.

Thanks for this.

I've always liked crunching stats ever since I played table top card and dice sports games (Strat-O-Matic, Statis Pro, Avalon Hill, etc.) and first discovered Bill James "Baseball Abstract". Football, basketball and hockey are much harder to analyze this way since there's so many more players active during play. Like, a lot of baseball is "Pitcher vs. batter". With football, you have offensive line vs d-line, receivers vs coverage, guys blitzing or dropping back, down and distance, play calls, dropped passes, etc.

I've always wondered what the one most consistent stat is for winning teams versus losing ones. Obviously it's PPG vs. PPGA, overall, but what translates into that? I'd guess it's turnover differential and yards per play differential.

NFL stats can be weird to make sense of in a vacuum. "Total Yards Allowed (or gained)", which is how the NFL rates offense and defense, can be deceiving because teams that are up big give up a lot of garbage yards and trailing teams gain a lot of them. Like, right now, the Eagles lead the league in PPG but I don't think anyone thinks they have the best offense in the NFL. The Falcons lead in YPG and, again, I don't think anyone thinks Atlanta is the best offensive team in the league either.

I'll check out that website.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I've always wondered what the one most consistent stat is for winning teams versus losing ones. Obviously it's PPG vs. PPGA, overall, but what translates into that? I'd guess it's turnover differential and yards per play differential.

I think it's the W/L%

BiggerBoat posted:

NFL stats can be weird to make sense of in a vacuum. "Total Yards Allowed (or gained)", which is how the NFL rates offense and defense, can be deceiving because teams that are up big give up a lot of garbage yards and trailing teams gain a lot of them.

Like how it's hard for Carson Wentz to put up big numbers when he's always up by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter :smug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sean10mm posted:

I dunno about Brisket, he basically did as little as possible while the Texans self destructed, besides that one big run with his elite 5.0 40 lol speed.

Your overall point is spot on though.

When that happened everyone in the room turned to me and said "I TOLD you he was black!"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Before the game started I was like, just so everyone knows, this guy is actually really slow.

And then he went out and ran a naked bootleg and a bunch of read option plays.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kalli posted:

Before the game started I was like, just so everyone knows, this guy is actually really slow.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

It's all relative. I'm sure to the coaching staff him and Jimmy are like cheetahs compared to what they're used to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BiggerBoat posted:

Willingness to say "gently caress it, I'm goin' deep!"
http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-deep-passes-wins-2012-8

Somewhat more seriously:
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/6/14/5753014/nfl-stats-crunching-numbers-under-further-review-part-ii-iv

I read something I can't find now that suggested that average fantasy football points per team was the stat most well correlated with wins overall.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

I read something I can't find now that suggested that average fantasy football points per team was the stat most well correlated with wins overall.

This seems rather tautological, doesn't it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Brannock posted:

This seems rather tautological, doesn't it?

Not completely but fantasy scores are heavily based on points so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Its not the qbs its the coaching

• Locked thread