Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Souls series are the only games I have played to completion in the last.....10 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

shoophobo posted:

"adulting" is a horrible word.
voted 1

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The older I get the less bullshit I tolerate in games, which sucks because games that want to be about "stories" and "atmosphere" mistake that for "slow constipated pooping."

Bitches look at Silent Hill-- you get one 2 minute cutscene then you're off to the races. Fatal Frame 2 as well. Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3, and even Metal Gear Solid 2 all throw you right into the action relatively early before making you sit through their infamous lengthy bullshit.

So when I start up your game on a legit cool subject like, a woman unfairly confined to a sanitarium and I'm stuck reading flavor-text notes and wandering aimlessly for the first hour or so.... well gently caress that noise. Triply so if the game does that Half-Life thing where it locks you the gently caress in a room to listen to expository/plot movement dialogue. You pull that poo poo to me before I've been spooked or done something fun even once, I'm turning your game off.

Still better than that Amnesia/Outlast "ooh you're 100% powerless and a monster is stalking you" crap. Bitch I've got oil and fire on-hand if nothing else you're telling me I've got zero options?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Maybe you're broken inside?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Or y'know, I've only got so much free time and I don't want to waste it on some West Coast loser's vision of "cinematic pacing" in a non-cinema medium.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I hate you, the OP :grin:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

Or y'know, I've only got so much free time and I don't want to waste it on some West Coast loser's vision of "cinematic pacing" in a non-cinema medium.

There's pills for that now. It's amazing what modern medicine can do

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
:420: helps

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I will say that yes, being inebriated helps some. I used to love a good RPG such as FF7, but now it's Souls games or Clash Royale.

I tried Everspace just now. Refund requested.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jebediah posted:

I will say that yes, being inebriated helps some. I used to love a good RPG such as FF7, but now it's Souls games or Clash Royale.

I tried Everspace just now. Refund requested.

I would hate video games too if my standard was FF7

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

The older I get the less bullshit I tolerate in games, which sucks because games that want to be about "stories" and "atmosphere" mistake that for "slow constipated pooping."

Bitches look at Silent Hill-- you get one 2 minute cutscene then you're off to the races. Fatal Frame 2 as well. Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3, and even Metal Gear Solid 2 all throw you right into the action relatively early before making you sit through their infamous lengthy bullshit.

So when I start up your game on a legit cool subject like, a woman unfairly confined to a sanitarium and I'm stuck reading flavor-text notes and wandering aimlessly for the first hour or so.... well gently caress that noise. Triply so if the game does that Half-Life thing where it locks you the gently caress in a room to listen to expository/plot movement dialogue. You pull that poo poo to me before I've been spooked or done something fun even once, I'm turning your game off.

Still better than that Amnesia/Outlast "ooh you're 100% powerless and a monster is stalking you" crap. Bitch I've got oil and fire on-hand if nothing else you're telling me I've got zero options?

I started playing Metal Gear Solid V THE BEST GAME YET IN THE SERIES yesterday

3 hours of cutscenes later I'm finally let loose upon the Afghan desert to kill guards, boy let me tell you that epic movie intro was worth it... NOT

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Doom 2016 is the best shooter since doom 2 though

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Not enjoying video games that you loved as a kid is a symptom of depression, and i recommend you medicate yourself back to where your brain needs to be so you can be happy, op

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive tried playing a bunch of games recently and the only ones ive managed to get into were gta v (beat it, played it again) and mgs v phantom pain (havent quite beaten it yet but kinda gave up).

everything else ... fallout 4, bloodborne, far cry 4 ... havent really done it for me I'm a huge prick

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I picked up Shadows of Mordor yesterday for 4 bux on slickdeals and it's p. darn good.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

thathonkey posted:

ive tried playing a bunch of games recently and the only ones ive managed to get into were gta v (beat it, played it again) and mgs v phantom pain (havent quite beaten it yet but kinda gave up).

everything else ... fallout 4, bloodborne, far cry 4 ... havent really done it for me I'm a huge prick

Give doom2016 a shot, I was in your situation and it solved all my problems

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

you should play ultra hardcore grognard wargames. the kind played by old men like yourself.

not stupid games for babies

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Overwatch op

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i tried overwatch too and couldnt really get into it

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
people who talk about playing videogames are the loving worst

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
that's because overwatch is garbage

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
the only solution is to play biseo games instaad of talking Bout them

i just beat the one reborn jn bloodborbe berds

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
if you play one videogame in your life pleeeaaasee, please don't listen to the retards telling you to play bloodborne.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
every time i have gotten a game recommended to me by a goon ive almost instantly regretted it (case in point: bloodborne)

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

thathonkey posted:

every time i have gotten a game recommended to me by a goon ive almost instantly regretted it (case in point: bloodborne)

what kind of games do you like thathonkey I will recommend one and break the cycle

i am a reliable source because i hate most all video games

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i mentioned some above. gta v and mgs 5 phantom pain are two i liked recently

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
your taste in subs is horrible but your taste in videogames is exquisite honkey

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

thathonkey posted:

i mentioned some above. gta v and mgs 5 phantom pain are two i liked recently

these are two games i like and that is rare for me. i will recommend the witcher 3, a game which I also like

it is much better than the other games you listed and disliked. i did not like those games either.

this is my opinion

Don Tacorleone posted:

Give doom2016 a shot, I was in your situation and it solved all my problems

this is also a good choice

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

DOMDOM posted:

that's because overwatch is garbage

Sorry,about your slow,brain rekt

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
overwatch is ok but you play all the maps a few times and you're like "ok i'm good now"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

on the one hand OP i want to poo poo in your mouth for saying "adulting", ironic or not, on the other hand i wanna talk about some sweet loving video games with my cool gbs pals so here ya go

overwatch is really bad but fun for like a couple rounds a week to remind yourself not to buy blizzard games in the future no matter how good starcraft was back at the buttcrack of the millenium. it's also good to hear goons and others fall all over themselves to pretend that its the best game ever even though when it comes do9wn to it everyone seems to think it's horribly flawed. lotsa reviews were like "OH MAN ITS SO COOL AND HAS SO MANY HEROES but also more than half the heroes kinda suck and there's like five levels and of those five three are extremely poorly designed"

bloodborne is really good but the opening up to cleric beast is really dumb and boring, i bought a ps4 and bloodborne, played it for a few days, and went back to other poo poo for months before picking bloodborne back up and really getting into it. it gets good and ahs some really cool visual design, but, y'know, it's a souls game and if it's not your jam that's fine

witcher 3 is really fuckin' good but some people are apparently too stupid for the combat (it boils down to like, dodge monsters and parry humans i think, or maybe the other way around, but it's pretty fuckin' obvious - and don't forget that you have all kinds of potions and magic buffs n poo poo to make you a badass). if you have a console i've heard the load times suck, idk, i got it free for buying a gfx card last year

maybe give up on games you need to try and beat and try something more chill, i'm a pretty big fan of setting up a colony in rimworld on the easiest setting and just leaving it on while i go to work, most of the really terrible events pause the game with their infobox so it is pretty fun to come home to see that my dudes stored up enough food for winter but one of my colonists is about to go on a violent berzerker rampage because some snake bit his pet dog to death and the drat fool decided to eat it

but really OP the real answer is to buy and play several hours of Mighty No. 9 so that literally every other game in existence looks less cheap and awful by comparison, please let this knowledge aid you upon your life path, friend.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

you got the depression op. from here on out it's nothing but alcoholism and memes about communism.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Jebediah posted:

What's your theory behind loving games when you're younger and then not finding a single title in Steam's vast library that can hold your attention past the 2hour refund time limit at 25+ (for reference I am 35)? I would say it's "less time, adulting takes over blah blah" but I have more free time now that I ever have.

how many books have you read in 2016? be honest with me. now compare this number with the number of good games you've beaten in 2016.

go back to your childhood: how many books or games can you remember that were awesome at some point back then?

maybe the rapidly diminishing returns is for once not the fault of the universe, but a fault in you. i'm a video game spiritualist, ask me anyhting

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

people who talk about playing videogames are the loving worst

No, people who talk about watching anime are much worse.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Have I told you guys about the episode of JoJo where they play video games?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didnt read the op but I did vote 1.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's because as an adult you can afford to do things that are really fun, Instead of fantasy doing fun things in a videogame.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't play games as much either but I still like them if they're good.

Recent games I liked;

Overwatch was fun to play with goons. I'm bored of it now though probably wont return for a good while

DOOM was a great singleplayer shooter. I played on the hardest difficulty that was available for a first timer and the game felt challenging without feeling like BS. Most other FPS get this so wrong, theyre usually way too easy. DOOM just had straight up better gameplay than most other shooters i've played in years. Double jumping over a skeleton man with rocketlaunchers on his shoulders so you can chainsaw the summoner behind it beats "hide behind wall or box and shoot at braindead soldierguy until he falls over, repeat for an entire game" that other shooters offer up these days

Witcher 3 was good, but it was eating so much of my time that I never finished it. I can't get into games like this anymore the way I usede to, because I just don't get particularly immersed in the game when I only got an hour here and there to play it

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 17, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hate you, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You wait until the old and actually good games are on sale for $5 and $10 and you play those

• Locked thread