Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh my god those loving bastards :gonk: I'd repressed them the first time around and they thankfully weren't around for 2033 which beyond humans was pretty much a "Watchers and Nosalises' extravaganza, with a sprinkling od a few other REDACTED(they haven't shown up yet here), but these little crawling bastards... And Artyom is no help at all with his goddamn theories that these critters were always beneath the earth and got woken up by the Apocalypse, why the hell would you write that in your diary now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm just wondering what "chuvak" means now. :v: The subtitles need the occasional Translator's Note for some of these words because otherwise they're just gonna keep making me wonder. Pavel's using it like it's a friendly term, but it sounds like it should be a slur.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just wondering what "chuvak" means now. :v: The subtitles need the occasional Translator's Note for some of these words because otherwise they're just gonna keep making me wonder. Pavel's using it like it's a friendly term, but it sounds like it should be a slur.

Urban Dictionary says it's basically the Russian equivalent of "dude".

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
At least they aren't librarians.

And that I don't have a phobia of these dudes.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

bman in 2288 posted:

:sigh: That's really what we have to keep telling ourselves, isn't it?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bman in 2288 posted:

Wait until we get to the Spiderbug Librarian. :unsmigghh:

Sorry, just kidding. Or am I?

resurgam40 posted:

And Artyom is no help at all with his goddamn theories that these critters were always beneath the earth and got woken up by the Apocalypse, why the hell would you write that in your diary now?
Some of the notes are great, if you guys haven't been reading them I suggest you do; the first one is always the level intro and some are just fluff text, but you can get little gems like this one.

PurpleXVI posted:

The subtitles need the occasional Translator's Note for some of these words because otherwise they're just gonna keep making me wonder. Pavel's using it like it's a friendly term, but it sounds like it should be a slur.
We had a few folks commenting on some of the earlier dialogue/writing on the wall (literally) so I was thinking on leaving it to audience participation; I'm not sure if it'd flow well in-game; I'll test it a bit on an update I'm working on, but maybe we could make a quick list and throw it on the OP or a "learn Russian with Pavel" update. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 4, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've gotta say, I'm enjoying the Three Musketeers references from Pavel, considering your username.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I've gotta say, I'm enjoying the Three Musketeers references from Pavel, considering your username.

Oh, believe you me I'll have something to say about it a (near) future update.

I never did read the sequels though, I could never find them over here. For a long time you couldn't get Dumas' books here; It took me a long time to find a copy of The Count of Montecristo and when I finally did the translation was abysmal. Years later I was chatting with my French teacher about the book and its horrible translation and she recommended a particular edition she knew had a fantastic French/Spanish translator and I actually had to go to the publisher because it had been out of print for a while. And then last year I visited the states and got the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics edition because look at it, it's so loving pretty. so I currently have 3 editions of the book in 2 languages.

Why yes, The Count of Montecristo is my favourite book, why do you ask? :colbert:

I should see about grabbing the other two Musketeers novels on my Kindle; as Pavel mentions the first one is kind of a clusterfuck but it's all kinds of fun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Why yes, The Count of Montecristo is my favourite book, why do you ask? :colbert:

It's not a bad favourite book to have. I re-read it at least once a year and it remains consistently good, it's one of those few books that really deserve to be called a classic, because I doubt it'll ever be outdated or surpassed in the particular story it tells.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
This might make me a bit unpopular, but I didn't really care for The Three Musketeers. Yes, the action is good, but I kept running into the problem of the protagonists all being assholes of one kind or another. I don't need the heroes of a novel to be paragons of virtue, but it'd be nice if they get called out on their poo poo (or at least aren't presented as paragons of virtue).

I got so mad at the book that I actually decided to basically rewrite it from Rochefort's POV.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, believe you me I'll have something to say about it a (near) future update.

I never did read the sequels though, I could never find them over here. For a long time you couldn't get Dumas' books here; It took me a long time to find a copy of The Count of Montecristo and when I finally did the translation was abysmal. Years later I was chatting with my French teacher about the book and its horrible translation and she recommended a particular edition she knew had a fantastic French/Spanish translator and I actually had to go to the publisher because it had been out of print for a while. And then last year I visited the states and got the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics edition because look at it, it's so loving pretty. so I currently have 3 editions of the book in 2 languages.

I should see about grabbing the other two Musketeers novels on my Kindle; as Pavel mentions the first one is kind of a clusterfuck but it's all kinds of fun.

It's not Dumas, but I always liked Les Miserables myself.

Actually, on the subject of Dumas, his father was one hell of an interesting dude.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Apep727 posted:

This might make me a bit unpopular, but I didn't really care for The Three Musketeers.

I was a bit disappointed in Musketeers since I read it after Montecristo but, as you say, the action was good enough to keep me entertained. It wasn't one of those books I have to power through just to get them over with.

Samovar posted:

It's not Dumas, but I always liked Les Miserables myself.
Haven't read Les Mis; from everything I've read about it it seems to be one hell of a downer so I've been kind of avoiding it.

Samovar posted:

Actually, on the subject of Dumas, his father was one hell of an interesting dude.

Seriously, just look at this dude:

During the battles in Italy, Austrian troops nicknamed Dumas as the Schwarzer Teufel ("Black Devil," Diable Noir in French). The French – notably Napoleon – nicknamed him "the Horatius Cocles of the Tyrol" (after a hero who had saved ancient Rome) for single-handedly defeating a squadron of enemy troops at a bridge over the Eisack River in Clausen (today Klausen, or Chiusa, Italy).

It's a hell of a read.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've done a review of the Metro books (or at least the first 2 - thanks to the "open universe" thing, there are dozens if not hundreds) in one of the previous LPs. Wonder if I can dig it up.

The Three Musketeers is fairly ok - it's the sequels that get really dull and needlessly complex.

Getting back to the topic of Russian literature:
There's a reason why Pushkin is known as The Russian Dumas (though he's called that far less often than the Russian Shakespeare).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you have phobias you may want to read this before checking the episode: We're back to the small spiders in the cobwebs, but there's a bit of a jumpscare involving one at 5:46 when I turn the corpse over. Skip to 5:55.

:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where weird things happen.

Journal entries for this update:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You missed the ice-cream secret.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

You missed the ice-cream secret.

Indeed I did. I checked the right side under the stairs on my test run but not the left. :(

Right before heading up the stairs, you can go behind the ice-cream freezer to find a safe with MGR, a filter and a few bullets:

Apparently these are locked in Redux, and you have to find a key?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yup.

In related news:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746760321
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746760379

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit that the supernatural stuff in the Metro games feels a bit, eh, lame. Just the most generic hauntings imaginable.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit that the supernatural stuff in the Metro games feels a bit, eh, lame. Just the most generic hauntings imaginable.

Personally, I kind of like them. Yeah, they're especially innovative, but given that the setting is an otherwise straight-forward post-apocalyptic scenario, they add a bit of extra flavor. It's an extra bit of weirdness that can't be explained away.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had to redo the entrance to Facility 3 times because the first soldier I shot would finish his current animation and then idle for 3 or 4 seconds before collapsing suddenly. :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

Apep727 posted:

Personally, I kind of like them. Yeah, they're especially innovative, but given that the setting is an otherwise straight-forward post-apocalyptic scenario, they add a bit of extra flavor. It's an extra bit of weirdness that can't be explained away.
I like the subtler ones that are less "something moves/flashes suddenly" and more the ones that you catch for a split second and leave you feeling that something's quite not right. Sometimes you get an "obvious" one like the phone that masks another watch the shadows when the lightning strikes after the phone drops.

I really liked the cockpit flashback if not so much the flashes in the cabin, the moment the missiles launch is fantastic.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I really like them; they're one of the juiciest bits of the setting to me, because we've seen the other things like mutants, gas masks and homemade weapons before in these games, but what we haven't seen are pockets of spookiness where the laws of physics just stop working for whatever reason*. The hauntings (if that's what they are) aren't anything particularly special, but when you figure Khan's theories into it- namely that these are accumulated spirits that have nowhere else to go because the nuclear conflagration was so great it not only devastated the physical world but blew up Heaven, Hell and Purgatory in the process- well, it becomes a bit more chilling... and also horribly sad.

*Ok, Ok, STALKER, but these are a lot more meaningful to the story.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The music that plays during the plane crash, it's from the first Metro game, and it's so good. I've been trying to find it for a while, but still haven't yet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like the hauntings as a concept, but stuff like the flashes in the aircraft cabin are ehhhhhhhhhhhh, and the cockpit thing is a bit too blatant. Subtler stuff like the phone, or the weird thing with Bourbon in Metro 2033 where he and Artyom are opening a gate while having weird hallucinations. Stuff where it's a bit... hard to be sure exactly what's going on, where it COULD be other stuff than hauntings, but it's hard to convince yourself of a good explanation. That's the sort of stuff I dig more.

EDIT: There isn't anything objectively wrong with Metro's hauntings, it's just a matter of taste. :v:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, the key is somewhere in the Ranger base, iirc.
"Locked safes" is a big part of one of the LL DLC's - 4A must have liked the mechanic so much that they ported it to both the base games of 2033 Redux and LL Redux.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Yeah, the key is somewhere in the Ranger base, iirc.
"Locked safes" is a big part of one of the LL DLC's - 4A must have liked the mechanic so much that they ported it to both the base games of 2033 Redux and LL Redux.
We're watching an LP of "base game" LL.

Edit - The mechanic was introduced in the original LL, is what I'm ever so subtly implying.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 8, 2016

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Xander77 posted:

We're watching an LP of "base game" LL.
I'm aware. Sorry, I could have made it clearer that I was comparing the two.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I much preferred the ghosts from the first game, when they were just shadows with no bodies.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like the subtler ones that are less "something moves/flashes suddenly" and more the ones that you catch for a split second and leave you feeling that something's quite not right. Sometimes you get an "obvious" one like the phone that masks another watch the shadows when the lightning strikes after the phone drops.

Okay, I was wondering if I imagined that one. Yeah, the stuff on the airplane probably could have been done better (I'm thinking more along the lines of the abandoned train car in 2033).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Artyom and Pavel didn't close the doors to the spiderbugs on their way out. :ohdear:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Artyom and Pavel didn't close the doors to the spiderbugs on their way out. :ohdear:

Not many places for those things to hide from sunlight on the surface, if that comforts you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There will be better spooky stuff coming, I promise. For those of you who missed it (and didn't read my spoiler a bit up :v:), go rewatch the phone sequence and pay attention to the walls when lightning strikes.

HardDiskD posted:

The Watchmen are up there.

Let them fight.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we go to the theatre.

Journal entries for this update:

Alright, this one's long and :words: as gently caress. I keep my mouth shut during conversations even when they don't have subtitles and I disappear altogether during a later part, so it'll be light on commentary during some parts.
I apologise for any overlapping in the not subtitled conversations, the crier in particular is especially annoying since he walks up and down the level screwing my recording and as I mentioned during Pavel some conversation triggers (as far as I've been able to make out) are time based and some depend on position; I went through the level a bunch of times but never managed to get a completely clean recording.

Anyone up for a bit of translation? This is the sign near the drunk guy at the beginning:

There's one stand I didn't go to in the market, near the weapons seller; it sells meat:

And finally, this bit of dialogue if you stick to Pavel at the beginning instead of stopping at every conversation:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Anyone up for a bit of translation? This is the sign near the drunk guy at the beginning:
Gun farm.

(Could be Armory / Farm, but that's less fun)

quote:

There's one stand I didn't go to in the market, near the weapons seller; it sells meat:
The sign says "bread".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 10, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That shadow play is one of the more sad things in this game. And that's saying something.

Edit: I guess Stanislavski is a reference to Constantine Stanislavski? It would make sense.

Edit edit: I like how the one dancer on the far left is not in time.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 10, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Like the beggar said, the Bolshoi is poo poo now, filled with people who don't know art or improvement.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I'd say that was a fantastic scene, but all of Mad Max is just utterly amazing.

Thanks for the translations! I wonder what the make bread out of in the Metro.

Samovar posted:

Edit: I guess Stanislavski is a reference to Constantine Stanislavski? It would make sense.
That one went right over my head, so if anyone wants to shed some light on it, be my guest.

Samovar posted:

bman in 2288 posted:

Like the beggar said, the Bolshoi is poo poo now, filled with people who don't know art or improvement.
Yeah, but also as he said: we need culture, and I like people having some sort of attempt at entertainment, even if they're all amateurs now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I loved how the guy's "trained" mole monster just got tired of him and hosed off backstage to ruin someone's poo poo.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

You know, I actually took a course in Russian theater when in college, in which we actually went there and took in as many plays as we could- children's plays, abstract plays, realist plays, Chekov, Shakespeare, Russian cinema... and the idea that a lot of people don't really appreciate "art" nowadays and eschew it in favor of cheap escapism into genre fiction came up a lot. I do remember seeing a lot of fantasy/sf stuff for sale in the bookstores (and I remember reading at least some of the Night Watch series by Lukyanenko, but as I recall, he was at least trying to do something beyond merely having a lot of wizards and monsters clash and be awesome at you), and Russia has a really rich cultural landscape to draw from even if its government has been dead set on curtailing that in the past few decades. But like Edmond said, it's good that people are at least trying to be entertaining and finding an art form as it survives, and if it errs on the side of actually allowing people to forget all of the death and horror that surround them, well... is that such a bad thing? And it's plainly working, as people are coming from all over the metro to see it and wait days at a time for the opportunity... it's a really good way to show just how devoid of fun and lightheartedness the Metro really is, nowadays.

I really love this Metro stop, it's probably my favorite in the series, because it has so many moments of respite and reflection. The shadow play is indeed a great moment, and easily my second or third most favorite :smith: moment in the series. After all the violence and horror we face, it really does feel like a moment of calm... but only a moment, because it's time for our boy to learn the other meaning of that famous phrase about enemies and friends. God drat it, Pavel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I seem to recall hearing that Pavel's full name is a reference to a famous Soviet spy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

I seem to recall hearing that Pavel's full name is a reference to a famous Soviet spy or something?
We haven't quite gotten to the point at which we hear his full name, but yeah:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlik_Morozov

Also.

• Locked thread