Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, thanks for doing these! I know they added the keys for Redux, but did they add extra safes? I don't remember seeing the ones in Separation or Facility.

I have been missing a few things (sorry :() so I may have just skipped them, but I looked up a guide and apparently there's one in Bandits that I'm 99% sure it's not in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Errata: I call the Duplet 'Duet' during this video. Apologies, but this is one of the longer videos and the reencoding + uploading would take longer than I think a misspell warrants. Apologies, and I hope you'll enjoy the video regardless.

Where we go for a ride.

Journal entries for this update:

This is where levels are gonna start getting longer and generally less chatty (there will still be a lot of :words: going on, fret not), so I may start shutting my trap more often as well. (This may also turn out to be a lie, I talk a lot during this one.)

Fun fact: Andrew used to look... different... in 2033:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2016

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ah, Regina. This is my favorite level in the series because the atmosphere is amazing. It also doesn't hurt that you're free to explore without a time constraint like on the surface.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Where we go for a ride.

"I love the Duet". (Which, again, is why built-in subs are kinda cumbersome)

Also, you're not stabbing them nearly enough. I never used anything other than the flashlight + knife strikes against the bugs.

I really don't recall that spider jump QTE. Maybe it's not there in Redux? Or I never entered that particular room?

Have you watched the Russian version of the Three Musketeers? It's pretty good.

For reasons that will become clear in the next level, I was never too bothered about picking up all the military rounds lying around.

I kinda feel like all the "indicators" you've switched to military rounds pale before "you're setting thing on fire now". If you can't notice that, then the other UI elements don't stand a chance.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 21, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ah, Regina. This is my favorite level in the series because the atmosphere is amazing. It also doesn't hurt that you're free to explore without a time constraint like on the surface.

This is one of the main reasons I told people who were not happy about the more 'obvious' supernatural stuff to be a little patient, because I love the hospital sequence. We'll see the others in later updates. :unsmigghh:

Xander77 posted:

"I love the Duet". (Which, again, is why built-in subs are kinda cumbersome)

Also, you're not stabbing them nearly enough. I never used anything other than the flashlight + knife strikes against the bugs.

I really don't recall that spider jump QTE. Maybe it's not there in Redux? Or I never entered that particular room?

Have you watched the Russian version of the Three Musketeers? It's pretty good.

For reasons that will become clear in the next level, I was never too bothered about picking up all the military rounds lying around.
Thanks for the spot; it wasn't a typo, I misremembered the name so I didn't notice on rechecking.

Yeah, I remembered you can actually stab the bastards while rewatching the footage. I keep forgetting there's actually a melee button in this game for some reason.

When you linked Russian Musketeers, I wasn't expecting the musical numbers. I'll definitely give this a watch later.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Seeing you fire off MGRs makes me feel not good.

As a matter of interest, a question for the engineers of this thread; what type of a mechanism could be employed by the Duet (you know, I preferred it when it was called the Duplet) to prevent an unfired shell being ejected when the barrel is broken?

Edit: Ooh! Are we sharing Russian films now? Might I suggest The White Sun of the Desert?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 21, 2016

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Samovar posted:

As a matter of interest, a question for the engineers of this thread; what type of a mechanism could be employed by the Duet (you know, I preferred it when it was called the Duplet) to prevent an unfired shell being ejected when the barrel is broken?

As someone that's used break-action shotguns before, there's generally two types of extractor; either a single 'bar' or two half-moon bars. A particularly strong mainspring on the extractor would pop the empty shell clear out of the barrel, and might pop the unfired shell most of the way out, so you'd have to re-seat it with your thumb. The duplet actually has two extractor arms and springs riding under each barrel, so when it's broken open, the only thing keeping the full shell in the gun is the weight of said shell (remember, a 12-gauge is not lightweight; one shell is 1/12th of a pound, so just over an ounce).

One of the upgrades for the duplet turns it into a quad-barreled monstrosity. Naturally, due to the increased weight and load on the extractor spring, you'd need a beefier spring for proper extraction, otherwise you'd end up doing what's done with the sawn-off 12-gauge in STALKER, where the character holds his thumb over the unfired shell, and upends the gun to remove the spent shell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

When you linked Russian Musketeers, I wasn't expecting the musical numbers. I'll definitely give this a watch later.
USSR movies (or possibly Russian movies to this day, I haven't exactly been keeping up) loved their diegetic musical numbers. Part of the training for a proper people's artist was musical and vocal, and they wanted to use that onscreen.

Samovar posted:

Edit: Ooh! Are we sharing Russian films now? Might I suggest The White Sun of the Desert?
Hey. At least my recommendation had a tangential connection to a subject discussed in the LP.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

Seeing you fire off MGRs makes me feel not good.
Due to savegame fuckery (I can't use the chapter select option after doing my test runs because the notes disappear after you pick them up, and since I have to screenshot them I need to pick them up), I backup my save files after each level. This means what you see on screen is a continuation of my test run from the previous level, and not on the 'run' you saw on-screen.
tl;dr: Next episode my MGR return, as does the Kalash I picked up on Revolution (Reflex sight/Laser) I somehow lost when recording Regina.

Samovar posted:

(you know, I preferred it when it was called the Duplet)
Well my name is better and I'll keep calling it the Duet! :colbert: (sorry, I went and added CC to the YT video pointing it out when Xander chimed in):negative:

Xander77 posted:

I kinda feel like all the "indicators" you've switched to military rounds pale before "you're setting thing on fire now". If you can't notice that, then the other UI elements don't stand a chance.
I'm just providing a public service by mentioning them so people don't make the same mistakes I did. :eng101: Like not noticing stuff bursting into flames :pseudo:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 21, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Was the disappearing Watchman a cut or a bug? :v:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

[quote="Edmond Dantes" post=""465612219"]

I'm just providing a public service by mentioning them so people don't make the same mistakes I did. :eng101: Like not noticing stuff bursting into flames :pseudo:
[/quote]

A post apocalyptic Russian version of Goofus and Gallant? Hmm, now I want to see the trailer for that game...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

USSR movies (or possibly Russian movies to this day, I haven't exactly been keeping up) loved their diegetic musical numbers. Part of the training for a proper people's artist was musical and vocal, and they wanted to use that onscreen.
Hey. At least my recommendation had a tangential connection to a subject discussed in the LP.

Well, mine did too!

Like...

...Turkmenistan...?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Still appreciate how you can manage to get through the spider sections and not have the subtitles "AAAAAAAAAAAA". The ghosts are a notable second-place in terms of "AAAAAAAAAAAA"-inducing creepiness.

Something else I want to say, that sniper rifle that you looked at earlier; I always want to use it, but I never get around to doing so. You may get around to talking about it, so I'll hold my tongue.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PurpleXVI posted:

Was the disappearing Watchman a cut or a bug? :v:

Bug, no idea what the hell happened there. :v:

I usually cut during "interact" animations (throwing levers, opening doors, there's a sneaky one when I help Pavel up a wall at the end of Echoes) since they're frame and camera-perfect so it's super easy to. Keep an eye on Artyom's wristwatch

Quicksilver6 posted:

A post apocalyptic Russian version of Goofus and Gallant? Hmm, now I want to see the trailer for that game...
Artyom sneaks around, never kills unless he has to, and conserves his MRG.

The Dark Railtracer murders everyone, and likes to set enemies on fire by shooting money at them.

/edit:

bman in 2288 posted:

Still appreciate how you can manage to get through the spider sections and not have the subtitles "AAAAAAAAAAAA". The ghosts are a notable second-place in terms of "AAAAAAAAAAAA"-inducing creepiness.

Something else I want to say, that sniper rifle that you looked at earlier; I always want to use it, but I never get around to doing so. You may get around to talking about it, so I'll hold my tongue.

That spider at the end of my Musketeers rant made me jump in my seat the first time I played through

I'll use it at some point; I didn't pick it up at the time because I wanted to keep something silenced for next level and we still haven't found a silenced Kalash. I wanted the shotgun/Kalash combo for general murdering in Regina.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 21, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quote != edit.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 21, 2016

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Artyom sneaks around, never kills unless he has to, and conserves his MRG.

The Dark Railtracer murders everyone, and likes to set enemies on fire by shooting money at them.

Put in a cheery 1950's easy listening soundtrack and a happy go lucky sounding narrator and we're gold!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, thanks for doing these! I know they added the keys for Redux, but did they add extra safes? I don't remember seeing the ones in Separation or Facility.

I have been missing a few things (sorry :() so I may have just skipped them, but I looked up a guide and apparently there's one in Bandits that I'm 99% sure it's not in the base game.

Don't worry about missing things, there is just so much to see in the Metro that it's nearly, if not at all, impossible to see it all in one playthrough. I have 100%:ed LL and LL Redux and I'm still finding new things! For example, if you are damaged after the watchmen fight in "Ashes", Anna will urge you to use a medkit ("I need you alive!") instead of commending your shooting ("Maybe you're not a rabbit"). Similarly, in your video you knifed the guard at the airlock in "Pavel", but if you don't he will say "Who the gently caress are you?!" and Pavel will retort "Just a passer-by, he's already leaving! :haw:" and throw a knife at the guard. One optional line I knew from before is if you shoot the lurker mutant in the tunnels in "Ashes", Anna will compliment your reflexes.

I reinstalled LL classic to make sure, but that's basically it about safes. The safes in Torchlight and Bolshoi are new, the rest are there (I think), except locked. Anyway, about the newest video!

First accidental MGR switch! MGR does make a slightly different sound, but the fire is the most obvious sign you're firing MGR in Ranger Hardcore. I remember the Watchman chase in "Regina" to be quite hard on Survival Ranger Hardcore, so I think i switched to MGR on purpose for that segment. What use is money when you are too dead to spend it?

Since you mentioned getting a lot of filters, I want to bring up something: The amount of filters you can carry is determined by difficulty level. Before opening the gate in Regina I capped out at 30 mins (Spartan Ranger Normal), then you have to expend filters before you can pick up more. I don't remember the specifics, but higher difficulty = smaller cap, and Survival has a smaller cap than Spartan.

If you don't want the gasmask broken at the end of "Regina", it's possible to remove it when you lose control of the railcar, but before you crash. It doesn't matter much as new masks are littered around the place.

Xander77 posted:

It's there, but it's possible to duck! The QTE only triggers if you're standing close enough to the spider when it lunges forward.

You've already seen the safe in this episode, but here is where you find the key in Redux. It's the same area with the watchmen.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we share stories over a fire.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bandits is the one level that has enemies that drop weapons AND a merchant. Good way to make sure you'll never have to scrounge for Military rounds again.

All the bandits (including the rapists at the start) have a reaction to hearing and seeing Regina.

The bandit sitting in the rail cart the sole surviving vanguard member later moves out of the way has a fun glitch associated with him. If he is alerted in any way whatsoever, he stands up. Once he does, he cannot be knocked out from the ground, and for some reason you can't climb or jump onto the railcart. Have fun replaying the level if you're on a "don't kill any humans" run.

You're underutilizing the firebombs. And dealing with monsters is pretty much their only purpose.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 24, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, I remember encountering those lovely gentlemen just after the refugees, trying to take them down silently, but forgetting I had molotovs assigned as opposed to knives. Oh, what a shame it was.

Also, you were drat lucky to be saved by Groucho Marx there at the end.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Bandits is the one level that has enemies that drop weapons AND a merchant. Good way to make sure you'll never have to scrounge for Military rounds again.
I was debating whether to show that off but it involved even more backtracking so I decided not to.

Xander77 posted:

The bandit sitting in the rail cart the sole surviving vanguard member later moves out of the way has a fun glitch associated with him. If he is alerted in any way whatsoever, he stands up. Once he does, he cannot be knocked out from the ground, and for some reason you can't climb or jump onto the railcart. Have fun replaying the level if you're on a "don't kill any humans" run.
I think that's an engine thing with animation 'state' transitions; had to replay the gunfight at Separation 3 times because I was shooting one of the crouching guards in the head as soon as the door opened and, instead of dying, he would just stand up and stand there for a good 5 seconds not shooting before dropping dead.

Xander77 posted:

You're underutilizing the firebombs. And dealing with monsters is pretty much their only purpose.
I am. I really don't want to switch secondaries mid-level because I feel it breaks flow, but I'll see about finding a way around because I'll be needing them in the levels after Venice.

Samovar posted:

Ah, I remember encountering those lovely gentlemen just after the refugees, trying to take them down silently, but forgetting I had molotovs assigned as opposed to knives. Oh, what a shame it was.
Exactly the same happened during my first recording session. Went up prepared to be all stealthy and ended up setting the rapist (and the victim) on fire. :ohdear:

And you better believe the subtitle for the next episode will mention Groucho.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Samovar posted:

It's just such a lovely feeling, isn't it, letting loose after so much sneaking around both the Nazis and the Reds. Using a Molotov on the "lovely gentleman" is out, because of the lady nearby, but lobbing one into a corridor tight with the bastards... catharsis Come top think of it- is there an achievement for going the whole game as a pacifist, or is it just a skill thing to do? I know there are certain levels with a pacifist achievement...

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

It's just such a lovely feeling, isn't it, letting loose after so much sneaking around both the Nazis and the Reds. Using a Molotov on the "lovely gentleman" is out, because of the lady nearby, but lobbing one into a corridor tight with the bastards... catharsis Come top think of it- is there an achievement for going the whole game as a pacifist, or is it just a skill thing to do? I know there are certain levels with a pacifist achievement...

In the base game, there is an achievement (Shadow Ranger) for killing no human foes, except one you are forced to at the end of the game.

In Redux, there is not, so it's a self-imposed challenge at that point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I like the ghost stories. The one about the black fog is pretty loving spooky.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sel Nar posted:

In the base game, there is an achievement (Shadow Ranger) for killing no human foes, except one you are forced to at the end of the game.
No human foes in the sneakable levels. The levels that force you into a firefight allow you to kill everyone, rather than "one foe".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PurpleXVI posted:

They're great, especially since they're actually plausible in the Metro universe. The second guy tells the story about the Tunnel Master by going "have you heard the one about", but the guy talking about the black fog is talking about something that happened to him.

When talking about the Dark Railtracer noone knows what he hell happened because it could have been a single sneaky guy... or it could have been something horrible from the depths of the Metro.

I really like the setting for this game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The book did get the horror setting and suburban legends genre right.

Particularly the matter of information propagation in a society without mass communication. Stations that used to be a few minutes away from each other are now the subject of only semi-accurate rumors, while somewhere you could get to in a half-hour train ride is now the stuff of legends.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Bandits! The first time you can (should) really let loose. As always, it's easier to sneak but you don't have to go out of your way to knock people out. In the subway station fortification where Edmond Dantes got spotted, you can open the metal plates and I think the bandits will if you raise an alarm. If you want to you can snipe at the bandits in the train from here, I think that's what they'll do to you, at least. The nosalis gauntlet is tense, especially so on Ranger difficulties. If you get cornered, two nosalises will wreck you on Survival Ranger. As I recall, the previous LL LP ended her or after the next level, so if anyone was following that, this should be exciting!

The safe and the key are both in the bandits' fortified station - they key in a train on the one side, and the safe where you throw the lever. It replaces the box where ED found medkits.

Xander77 posted:

No human foes in the sneakable levels. The levels that force you into a firefight allow you to kill everyone, rather than "one foe".
Even in a couple of those, the Shadow Ranger guides recommend shooting soldiers in the leg and then knocking them out. I think this is how I did it but I don't know if it mattered. Shadow Ranger is a contested subject. Maybe I'll reset the achievement and replay killing TWO humans on the levels in question to find out!

PurpleXVI posted:

Have I got a DLC pack for you then!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Even in a couple of those, the Shadow Ranger guides recommend shooting soldiers in the leg and then knocking them out. I think this is how I did it but I don't know if it mattered. Shadow Ranger is a contested subject. Maybe I'll reset the achievement and replay killing TWO humans on the levels in question to find out!

I have no idea what you're reading that considers that above "contested", but they are really not. Both The Chase and Red Square allow you to kill as many people as you'd like. Someone like prenatual may be able to finish them while only knocking people out, but regular gamers aren't really expected to do that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One can reset achievements?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Have I got a DLC pack for you then!

Wait, which DLC pack?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

double nine posted:

One can reset achievements?
With third party tools. Use at your own risk.

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea what you're reading that considers that above "contested", but they are really not. Both snip and snip allow you to kill as many people as you'd like. Someone like prenatual may be able to finish them while only knocking people out, but regular gamers aren't really expected to do that.
I removed the spoiler. I've seen 4A devs state that, but some people still say it didn't work for them. The obvious solution is that they killed someone and reloaded and thus forfeiting, but there's no way to make sure. :iiam:

drkeiscool posted:

Wait, which DLC pack?
Check your PM:s.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Or is it Sputnik posted:

It replaces the box where ED found medkits.

Aha! I knew it!

(I'm just happy I didn't actually miss it this time :v:)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
One big nitpick I have with the game, and especially pronounced here:

You get the night-vision goggles way too late in the game, when it stops being as useful.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Check your PM:s.

Awesome, thanks!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go fishing with Groucho.

Really short update today, but next one will make up for it by being our longest (and :words:iest) one yet.

Also, there's a spooky sale over at Steam, and The Metro Redux Bundle is $7.50, includes 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux (includes all DLC).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You've missed the Preved you can get if you jump onto the rail car just before the first shrimp attack.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, some FPS games have every helicopter or plane you travel in be shot down. I feel like Metro has every rail car or boat you travel in be ambushed, overturned, crashed, has Artyom knocked off it, etc. something. There's no such thing as a journey just from one place to another without anything trying to murder you.

Which I guess is what does a lot to sabotage, for me, the feeling of the Metro world as a believable one. Like, supposedly there are merchants, traders, caravans, etc. but unless we're just only taking all the lovely routes, it feels like no one who isn't a protagonist gets anywhere without a bullet in the head or two nosalises up the dickhole. :v: I know it's a petty thing, but it's just there to me.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, some FPS games have every helicopter or plane you travel in be shot down. I feel like Metro has every rail car or boat you travel in be ambushed, overturned, crashed, has Artyom knocked off it, etc. something. There's no such thing as a journey just from one place to another without anything trying to murder you.

Which I guess is what does a lot to sabotage, for me, the feeling of the Metro world as a believable one. Like, supposedly there are merchants, traders, caravans, etc. but unless we're just only taking all the lovely routes, it feels like no one who isn't a protagonist gets anywhere without a bullet in the head or two nosalises up the dickhole. :v: I know it's a petty thing, but it's just there to me.

Artyom has Spectacularly bad luck, but his travels and travails do tend to take him through dangerous places that are less-often patrolled by human forces, which allow critters like Nosalis and shrimp to thrive.

As was shown at the end of the second foray on the surface/the start of Teatr, heavy guards with flamethrowers occasionally foray out to clear out monster dens, to keep traveling lanes clear as best they can, even with the toxic conditions of the surface preventing actual resettlement.

A large factor is that Artyom's essentially choosing to go the dangerous but fast route over a slower but more-secure route, as he's actively pursuing someone, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

You've missed the Preved you can get if you jump onto the rail car just before the first shrimp attack.

Crap. It's always something. :negative:

You can (kinda) see it in the car in this shot, it's guarded by the CyberShrimp:

• Locked thread