Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Technical Analysis posted:

Even Reagan, with all his faults, had proper charisma.

Reagan also had served as Governor of the largest state in the Union for 8 years.

I'm no fan of Reagan, but comparing him to Donald Trump is like comparing FDR to Shemp Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I've seen the hell that is bad baby names. The worst: JKMN.

Pronounced Noel

Pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

more give me more I'm almost there

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

oh god thank you all I'm spent

oh, and how about those awful sommodites and masyginists lol

predicto fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 13, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Gerrymandering might get hosed by SCOTUS, though. So if you want to be absolutely sure you're stripping the dirty minorities and poors, it's felon disenfranchisement, all the way.

This lovely SCOTUS? Nah. Ain't gonna happen.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

One death every 60 seconds according to the most recent numbers. Something like 1.6 million homicides per year. I'd say the odds were pretty damned good

Acksually... not to be a party pooper, but that number is 16 thousand, not 1.6 million.

Still way too high, but you know , it isn't Mad Max levels yet.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BonHair posted:

Also also, a black conservative is either stupidly rich or just plain stupid.

Or selling out for personal advantage, a la the Diamond and Silk Minstrel Tour

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

It's covered in racist poo poo, but contains a decent burn on Steele. I have no idea how he ended up chairing the RNC.

He was a token choice made back when the GOP liked to at least pretend that it was racially inclusive.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

He was given the job in 2009, and delivered the 2010 victory, the only thing that has allowed them to not be crushed by their losses in the popular vote ever since. Hes by a wide margin the most competent person to have held that job in ages. Then, because hes black, they kicked his rear end to the curb and gave it to a dumbass white guy.

It's pretty insulting to act like Steele never accomplished anything.

No, he's the exact opposite of that. He's the most qualified and capable man for the job, who got cut after he achieved a historic victory because the GOP couldn't stand black men having authority in their own party.

I'm not saying that Steele wasn't competent, intelligent, and effective for the GOP - he absolutely was. But he was not the "most qualified" person for the job when he got it. He had been Leiutenant Governor of in a blue state) (the Democrats lost that election because the Governor divorced his wife to marry his secretary), and he was an unsuccessful senatorial candidate. The GOP leadership chose Steele because Obama had just been elected and they wanted to establish their own minority cred. That was why 2 of the 4 candidates for the job were black.

But you absolutely are right about why they fired him. He was too pigmented for the GOP base to accept.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Charles Pierce rules

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's high yeah, for some God forsaken reason. Not young, not drunk, and I drive a Subaru. I do live in Metro Detroit so maybe Geico just hates Michigan.

actshully they do hate Michigan

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/4_reasons_michigan_keeps_toppi.html

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I pay over $500 a month. A 20 year old and two teenage girls.
Luckily they pay their chunk and mine comes out to just under $150.

Thanks Michigan!

It's because of your weird no-fault rules that no other state has

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

You know the comedy part is they'd be cheering this on if it was going on during a dem presidency

Lol, that abortion one. They're just having abortions all the time, it's like a weekly process!

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/wpo5vj/the-sarah-silverman-program-sarah-s-abortions

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

EdithUpwards posted:

She loving outed her

oh ffs this is bullshit

the Feinstein hatred on this board is beyond pathological. Yes she's old and lovely and should have retired years ago, but the leftier than thou edgelords on here endlessly making extra poo poo up about her are reminiscent of Free Republic itself.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

Do i even want to know how Freep is reacting to Dr. Ford's testimony?

Edit: Oh

gently caress yeah gimme the purestrain unfiltered stuff

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

"To: mylife; null and void
“Tom Selleck — regular Joe and a conservative”

I should not be surprised. No wonder he seemed to vanish.

6,930 posted on 9/27/2018, 8:33:37 PM by Arthur Wildfire! March (News and poltiicians who ignore James O'Keefe are fake and evil.)"

LOL Tom Selleck has been punished for being a conservative and vanished by the trick of being the star of a prime time TV Drama for the past eight years.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

what the hell was that sad little meltdown?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Reminds me of the Bors classic:

https://imgur.com/a/BRzJ4Cl

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

Both of my parents subscribe to the "choice" view of homosexuality and when I asked them why you'd choose to do something that is going to get you persecuted, their response was that all the gay men or women they know had a bad and abusive childhood which caused it. It's an interesting hybrid rationalization.

LOL.

Why would you choose to do something that not only will get you persecuted, but it also according to their theory is something no one naturally is interested in and it in fact naturally disgusts rather than excites them? Ask your dad if he ever could just "choose" to have sex with another man, and if not, why not?

That was the argument that finally convinced my mother that it can't be just a "choice" a couple of decades ago. But she was actually discussing the issue in good faith and overcoming a sheltered Catholic background. I understand that this usually is not the case, and most parents won't listen. But drat, the choice argument is so loving dumb.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I fully believe that most people are far more fluid in sexuality than that would imply, and the reason why ~95% of people used to identify as straight is exactly that, because it's easier; anything else will get you persecuted, and people will be disgusted because they've been conditioned to be disgusted. They're in effect choosing to be straight, only it isn't a free choice, it's a socially pressured one.

That's why you see vastly greater percentages of Gen-Y/Gen-Z identifying as neither gay nor straight, and that's just from taking some of the pressure off, not from actively promoting "the gay lifestyle" as freep seems to think.

And that disgust, that's entirely social, nothing natural about it. It's the same disgust that Freepers' dads felt about miscegenation. It can be changed.

Oh of course all that is true.

I was focusing on what the conservatives believe to be true, and how it makes their whole “choice” argument even more internally inconsistent (if you can get them to listen, which I acknowledge is usually impossible )

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Air Force is generally the safest if you aren’t a pilot or special ops.

Or an athiest

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Uncle Ulty posted:

He was investigated, gave testimony, denied any wrongdoing, and was never charged. Therefore he was innocent.

So that means they believe Hillary was innocent too, right?

The Fort Pillow Massacre was Fake News!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

They're the GOP base though. It's not The Mattering until you see significant numbers of them breaking with Trump, which will probably never happen.

Until someday when they suddenly all pretend that they never supported Trump, he was just a liberal plant and they knew it all along.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

i love Satanic Communism

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I finally found someone in this world that I hate even more than I hate John Bolton. Amazing.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I'm so ready for some pure distilled impeachment inquiry vote Freep tears. gimme gimme gimme

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I was hoping for a giant trove of impeachment-related gnashing of teeth as each new bit of testimony comes out...

but then I remembered that no one at Freep will actually watch the hearings.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, they'll watch it. They just firmly believe that every single witness called is either lying or mistaken. Any actual evidence will fly in one ear and out the other.

Really, they won't. They will watch Hannity and Dobbs's spin about it. They will read fwd:fwd:fwd Facebook posts about it. But they won't actually watch it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

Question: is FReep losing it's poo poo over the impeachment or nah?

Who cares, we've got chicken battles to wage here!

(and the best fried chicken is at Harold's The Fired Chicken King in the South Side of Chicago, not least because Harold himself used to drive a Cadillac with a huge chicken head and tail on it

now that I have gotten my 2 cents in lets end this derail)

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Please tell me the place is still open and please tell me the car still exists.

Yes it does (its a 70 year old black-owned local chain). I don't know if the car rolls around anymore. Perhaps a Chicago goon can answer that.

Order a white half with hot sauce Chicago style - they will lay the chicken on a base of french fries, put hot sauce on all of it, and the sauce will soak into the chicken so that it softens up the skin and soaks into the meat underneath. It's goddamn fantastic.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

The constitution doesn't define what a natural born citizen is. Congress did that, and if I recall the conservative argument correctly, at the time Obama was born the law said that if a child is born out of the country and only one parent was a citizen they have to have resided in the US for something like 5 years after their 14th birthday in order for the baby to be a natural born citizen too. But Barack's mom was only 18 at his birth so even though she had lived in the US for her whole life, she didn't technically meet the cutoff due to a stupidly-written law. So had he been born in Kenya he would not have been a citizen.

Congress later fixed that law and applied it retroactively, so even if he had been born overseas he would have been a natural born citizen under the new law, but they say that retroactive laws don't count.

Although your average freeper likely isn't aware of the nuance in the actual Birther argument that was created for their consumption, they just know he's black so he's not a real American.

Yeah, that argument was nonsense because Obama was born in the US, and it was wrong even if he wasn't. It's all racist garbage.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Getting ready to enjoy "Freep reacts to the Impeachment Trial"

f5 f5 f5

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I like how that last comment was NOT removed by the moderators

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Wait is "black maria" a common (or even known) reference in the US? It's *old* (like 1970s at the latest) UK slang for a police van, I've never heard it from an American before.
[/quote]

Actually it’s originally an American term that goes back to the 1830s

Just like some freepers

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually it’s originally an American term that goes back to the 1830s

Just like some freepers

Huh, apparently so. I always assumed it was just the name of the van that the police used (like it was an Austin Maria or something), especially as in old TV shows and films it always seems to be the same model of van, e.g. as in Withnail and I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7SzAm92e4

although this one's blue, and probably the other ones are too but they were in black and white. Anyway I learned something in the Freep thread that wasn't utter contempt, so that's a plus, although I'm now intrigued as to how that particular bit of slang made it over to the UK, which is generally self-sufficient in such things.
[/quote]

It was a common term for police vans in the 1930s. You see it in old gangster movies sometimes. I suspect that’s how it made it over to the U.K., we inflict all of our movies on you

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

FreeperMadness posted:

Free Republic has been down all morning.

Coincidentally, freepathon donations are lagging.

Pay up, you freeploaders !!!

hACkeD bY teH MudSLiMe LIBerLs

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this the first thing to really tear apart the Freep community? They can fall into lock-step on everything normally, but this is something finally big and serious enough that they're seeing consequences in person and can't just obey Daddy.

You grossly underestimate their ability to retcon their most deeply held beliefs

They do it every time

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

FMguru posted:

I'm imaging the hospital as itself being very very small, a 1/100000th scale model of a building in a corner of an open field.

What is this, a hospital for ants?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I assume he has been banned by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Datura is a particularly vile specimen, even by Freep standards