Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Sapper posted:

As others have said, sloppy programming/poor optimization. There was also a glitch that caused the screen to flicker when you got too many sprites per line.

I don't think that was a "glitch," just the only thing the NES could do: there was a sprite limit, so if you had more, they had to take turns being drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Cnut the Great posted:

Sounds like they had a pretty good racket going. I salute them.

I think they ended up having to send a $5 credit to a bunch of NES owners as a result of this, though, to settle some suit being brought against them due to this practice.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Testikles posted:

I did. I couldn't figure out how to progress in Super Metroid and he told me to just plant a powerbomb in the glass tube in Brinstar and Maridia

Took me forever to figure this out.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is pretty neat- there is a website called The Cuttingroom Floor that analyzes all the leftover content they found in games:

https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Some NES games had tons of leftover content.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I grew up playing NES. My family would travel to the States (I'm from BC) every summer and my sister and I would buy games at Fred Meyer's. We would just pick them based on box art or recognized licencing. That's how I ended up with the horrible (and impossible) Back to the Future game, and Timelords. But sometimes we wound up with a gem, like Low-G-Man.

I could never play most of them now though. Like someone previously said, I have enough frustration in my real life, I need my games to be chill and constantly rewarding to bother with them.

Fun fact: the awesome game (with killer music as well), 'Journey to Silius', was originally the Terminator game, but they lost the licencing before release so they just tossed together a similar story and released it. It's dope though.

Listen to this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sjYt6EJVw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rape Stink posted:

Simon's Quest was the best Castlevania on NES.

Castlevania 3 exists, what's wrong with you?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Rape Stink posted:

Simon's Quest was the best Castlevania on NES.

What a horrible night to have a bad opinion

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
nes games were loving expensive...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why did every game have a sewer level?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Legend of Kage even depicts the open canal sewer tech of ancient Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXMoNWk3jS4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

ninja turtles were very popular in the late 80s

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
It's crazy the changes some games went through or how they became different things entirely when coming from Japan to America, especially when you played those games all the time as a kid and assumed they just like any other game.
Everyone knows about the Final Fantasy games being renamed but I only found out recently that The Adventures of Lolo is actually something Japan never actually saw, and is just a complication of levels from other older Eggerland titles on systems that the US may not have even had (I think).
Also, Fire n' Ice was actually a sequel to Solomon's Key and was called Solomon No Kagi 2 in japan.

Holy poo poo did that game look good though.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

FogHelmut posted:

for the same reason most games had a sky, ice, and water level, even games where it did not make any sense.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I grew up playing NES. My family would travel to the States (I'm from BC) every summer and my sister and I would buy games at Fred Meyer's. We would just pick them based on box art or recognized licencing. That's how I ended up with the horrible (and impossible) Back to the Future game, and Timelords. But sometimes we wound up with a gem, like Low-G-Man.

I could never play most of them now though. Like someone previously said, I have enough frustration in my real life, I need my games to be chill and constantly rewarding to bother with them.

Fun fact: the awesome game (with killer music as well), 'Journey to Silius', was originally the Terminator game, but they lost the licencing before release so they just tossed together a similar story and released it. It's dope though.

Listen to this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sjYt6EJVw

I rented Journey to Silius as a kid and that game was awesome! It's tough but really fun. I fired it up on an emulator recently and it held up quite well. I sure suck at it now, though.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Three-Phase posted:

This is pretty neat- there is a website called The Cuttingroom Floor that analyzes all the leftover content they found in games:

https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Some NES games had tons of leftover content.

I've lost entire days to TCRF. Some of the stuff they find is insane, like all the developer rants.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

Because to every child who grew up in the 80s and 90s, the sewer was a place redolent with the allure of adventure and mystery.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

After the NES era, this was replaced by the obligatory Mine Cart level. That is a subject for another thread, however

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thats the game I was talking about. Fuckers.

I got stuck on the sewer/water/ship level

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-it-be-nintendo-game-play-counselor-224289

There's a cool interview with a couple of former Nintendo Help Line game counselors.
Pretty cool look into what it was like for them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Xanei.exe posted:

It's crazy the changes some games went through or how they became different things entirely when coming from Japan to America, especially when you played those games all the time as a kid and assumed they just like any other game.
Everyone knows about the Final Fantasy games being renamed but I only found out recently that The Adventures of Lolo is actually something Japan never actually saw, and is just a complication of levels from other older Eggerland titles on systems that the US may not have even had (I think).
Also, Fire n' Ice was actually a sequel to Solomon's Key and was called Solomon No Kagi 2 in japan.

Holy poo poo did that game look good though.

You have to see the Japanese release of Maniac Mansion. It looks like a completely different game. I've never seen such a drastic difference between releases overseas.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

a dog from hell posted:

I've been playing Earthbound on my phone during lunch breaks. It is a fun game.

Emulator or what? There's been enough nostalgia posting about it I figure to try tracking it down.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Most of my time spent on the NES was loving with games with Game Genie till no end. Just typing random codes, and when something cool happened, I kept track of that code and changed it a little bit to do something cooler. Eventually I could make Super Mario Bros look like a psychedelic drunken mess, with the graphics and sound. It may have done some damage to the cart or NES, I dunno.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You have to see the Japanese release of Maniac Mansion. It looks like a completely different game. I've never seen such a drastic difference between releases overseas.

Wasn't that the game that was super bizarre and impossible to beat and also had the chainsaw without any gasoline. Gasoline being completely unavailable in the game as well.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 18, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is a game I used to play. It was pretty k

Captain Skyhawk is a vertical-scrolling shmup designed in that weird isometry-look that Rare also used in Cobra Triangle. Anymore, I just like the game for its boss and victory music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYggKkxX5c&t=110s

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

did anyone else have kickle cubicle as a kid or did I just straight invent that drat game lmao

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

canyoneer posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-it-be-nintendo-game-play-counselor-224289

There's a cool interview with a couple of former Nintendo Help Line game counselors.
Pretty cool look into what it was like for them.

That last bit did. Not. Happen.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

idk it's more believable then if he were to say he had sex haha

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Emulator or what? There's been enough nostalgia posting about it I figure to try tracking it down.
snes game but i'll allow it. you can now buy it on virtual console for wii u and new 3ds. otherwise use an emulator

you can also get Mother 1 (now called Earthbound Beginnings) on wii u vc but i warn you, it's not that good. it's better than most NES RPGs which isn't saying much

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Most of my time spent on the NES was loving with games with Game Genie till no end. Just typing random codes, and when something cool happened, I kept track of that code and changed it a little bit to do something cooler. Eventually I could make Super Mario Bros look like a psychedelic drunken mess, with the graphics and sound. It may have done some damage to the cart or NES, I dunno.

http://youtu.be/0P3MV6K-pKg

Unfortunately that video didn't have the "SPAALONE! BABAGUUSCOOTES" Zelda glitch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Three-Phase posted:

That last bit did. Not. Happen.

Read the article dude, guy said it's technically correct because he used the controller on the powerglove

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Celluloid Sam posted:

did anyone else have kickle cubicle as a kid or did I just straight invent that drat game lmao

I had Kickle and it rocked. So many puzzle games with ice theming it seems like.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Xanei.exe posted:

Wasn't that the game that was super bizarre and impossible to beat and also had the chainsaw without any gasoline. Gasoline being completely unavailable in the game as well.

It was bizarre but not at all impossible to beat. As a matter of fact the game had like 20 endings.

Maniac Mansion is incredible because I didn't play it until like 2004 so I know it wasn't nostalgia clouding my opinion.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Y-Hat posted:

snes game but i'll allow it. you can now buy it on virtual console for wii u and new 3ds. otherwise use an emulator

you can also get Mother 1 (now called Earthbound Beginnings) on wii u vc but i warn you, it's not that good. it's better than most NES RPGs which isn't saying much

I kinda wish I hadn't sold my Wii but they didn't have poo poo for NES games when I was looking. Oh well. I'll try Earthbound.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It was bizarre but not at all impossible to beat. As a matter of fact the game had like 20 endings.

Maniac Mansion is incredible because I didn't play it until like 2004 so I know it wasn't nostalgia clouding my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't really aware of it until I had read the Video Game Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread. Has to be one of my all time favorite threads tbh.

Edit side note: I can't say I've played much of Mother, but I'm going through Earthbound for the first time (legitimately. I was bad and cheated on an emulator when I was a kid, but screwed myself when I saved at a place the game wouldn't let me continue) on the cartridge, and it's probably one of the most unique and funniest RPGs you'll ever play. I think the Mother 3 tag line describes the series best:
"Strange, funny, and heartrending."

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 18, 2016

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
worst video game trick ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZo35486ylk

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let's talk about Faxanadu

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kashuno posted:

Let's talk about Faxanadu

Let's talk about parallel universes and button half-presses.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Three-Phase posted:

http://youtu.be/0P3MV6K-pKg

Unfortunately that video didn't have the "SPAALONE! BABAGUUSCOOTES" Zelda glitch.

Oh my god, these are hilarious. And I found the one you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmAPZpJTSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I bought RGB modded NES and SNES consoles from Monitor Burn in SA-Mart. Combined with everdrive flashcarts, it's the perfect setup.

Highly recommended.

• Locked thread