Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't get this notion of games not aging well. I think if it was ever a good game, it's still going to be a good game however many years later. The games were a lot simpler back then, but that's okay, since the games were designed around that fact and compensated in other ways, like creative level design and increased difficulty level. I've still never beaten the original Super Mario Bros. (can only get to the castle on World 7 so far) because I'm not very good at it and refuse to use save states, but I still like playing it.

I agree with the idea that quality is fundamentally timeless. The disconnect is that when people say "such-and-such didn't age well" what they're usually saying is "such-and-such is a poo poo game that we only put up with because we were like 8 years old and surrounded by lovely games and we didn't know any better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Three-Phase posted:

Why did some games with graphically intense areas suffer from bad slowdown (Jackal, Iron Tank) while others did not (Super Mario 3)? Was it programming, cartridge hardware, or a little of both?

Hell yeah! Iron Tank kicks rear end.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O49OgQ_kogw

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I have this garbage.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Oh my god, these are hilarious. And I found the one you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmAPZpJTSM

Vinesauce has some genuinely funny videos. The SNES ones are crazy too.

Also has anyone mentioned Mr. Gimmick yet? That is supposedly the most technically advanced NES game that was developed just as the NES came to an end.

http://youtu.be/O71__ki3rYw

There are also some great YouTube videos on the Dendy- the Russian NES.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ronnie posted:

Hi it's me Nintendo and I heard you want us to publish your game on our Nintendo Entertainment System?

That's great! Just follow this procedure and we'll get your game on the biggest console of the 80's.

Step 1: Pitch your game idea to us, we decide if it is good enough for our superior console and brand image.

Step 2: Purchase a licence and our dev kit to make said game.

Step 3: Sign a contract that only allows you to make 5 games a year, you get 20% of the profits made from the game, we own the rights to the IP and you can't make the game for any of our competitors, if you break these rules then we cease all action and black list you from the industry.

Step 4: Buy the cartridges from us, their is a chip shortage so you only get a set amount of cartridges FYI this will be lower than our own titles so we get to sell more copies of our own games.

Step 5: Post copies of your games to us for final assessment, if we demand changes you have to make them and then once changes made send the game back to us. If we find more issues we repeat the process, this will be at your expense

Step 6: Market the game yourself. Our highly conservative Japanese managers have backgrounds in engineering and don't understand the importance of marketing and promotion.

Follow these regulations and we'll allow you to put a fancy gold logo on the game case stating we have approved of this game. Isn't that nice of us? (The logo printing will be paid by yourselves.)

I'm not sure about the IP thing. In fact I am almost positive that is wrong.

Everything else is totally true though.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hell yeah! Iron Tank kicks rear end.

I'm amazed it didn't give people seizures when you have the mega explosions that flash the screen white for like five seconds.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

That last bit did. Not. Happen.

The Game Counselor accomplishments were always bullshit. To this day, I remember one dude claiming that he beat Ninja Gaiden II "without looking at the screen." Absolutely mental.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I'm not sure about the IP thing. In fact I am almost positive that is wrong.

Everything else is totally true though.

Yeah. Bretty sure capcom owns the mega man games.

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Germstore posted:

Yeah. Bretty sure capcom owns the mega man games.

i will fight ur copyright battle on TW when i have amends

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I agree with the idea that quality is fundamentally timeless. The disconnect is that when people say "such-and-such didn't age well" what they're usually saying is "such-and-such is a poo poo game that we only put up with because we were like 8 years old and surrounded by lovely games and we didn't know any better."

Games were literally just better up until around the GameCube era. I mean the games were still good from time to time but things just slowly started changing for the worse. I like to think that games reached their peak around the 64 and PlayStation since games were doing way more than they ever could but without having to sacrifice quality, features, or just content in general. Now, I know some old heads don't care much for this time either because poo poo started getting easier, but I think that at the time that trend was okay because the arcade style difficulty that said "do it over from the start" wasn't always that fun and mainly just a way to make the game last longer
Take Zelda example. You can get through the entirety of Ocarina of Time without dying once if you play your cards right, but Link to the Past is a much more brutal game- fairies don't refill your health completely, you start from somewhere in the overworld if you quit the game in a dungeon, and the bosses are also pretty unforgiving. But in terms of content, graphics, gameplay, both games are extremely solid and fun. Then you have Wind Waker... Which was kinda good, I guess.
Also, more on the thread topic: the first two Zelda games were great too, just subjected to that painful NES level of difficulty.

I guess what I'm saying is that all of these games were great up until Wind Waker where Zelda became just okay, and although some might point to a lack of difficulty as the start of decline (or that comment about games not aging well comes into play), I would argue that it's simply not the case.
/sperg

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 18, 2016

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The NES version of Bionic Commando was an amazing game that took the platform genre and added one twist that changed the whole formula. Plus it had non-linear gameplay, including levels you could skip entirely and an end boss that was literally Hitler in a robot.

It's sad how lovely and awful they made the remake "Bionic Commando: Rearmed"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Bionic Commando owned when I was a kid and continues to own now, and for someone with terrible reflexes I am amazed that I have never missed that shot at the end

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xanei.exe posted:

After the NES era, this was replaced by the obligatory Mine Cart level. That is a subject for another thread, however

you should try Indiana Jones NES. the game is basically one big sewer/minecart level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLqHhTG7XEY

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

The Game Counselor accomplishments were always bullshit. To this day, I remember one dude claiming that he beat Ninja Gaiden II "without looking at the screen." Absolutely mental.

While I'm sure those stories were all made up, people these days can beat Mike Tyson's punchout while blindfolded. Youtube it it's pretty impressive

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
LEGENDS OF GRINDIA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bug Bill Murray posted:

While I'm sure those stories were all made up, people these days can beat Mike Tyson's punchout while blindfolded. Youtube it it's pretty impressive

i once beat the first level of Star Fox blindfolded. i did not lose any health and got 100% kills too.

i had to use all of my nova bombs though :(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Xanei.exe posted:

I had Kickle and it rocked. So many puzzle games with ice theming it seems like.

I still have kickle

I still play it

Game owns

Mendel palace for life bitches

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Faxanadu is actually terrible, that one's just nostalgia

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zorodius posted:

Faxanadu is actually terrible, that one's just nostalgia

so wrong man holy cow

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

although as a kid I was stuck for like 3 months because I didn't know you had to go talk to the king lmao

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I liked Bill Elliott's NASCAR challenge

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Wizards and warriors 3 was the best game on the Nintendo entertainment system

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Super mario bros 2 is the hardest of the trio. I think i only beat it a couple of times. I can beat 1 and 3 with one eye closed.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
The Battle of Olympus doesn't get enough love. I rented the gently caress out of this game when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k5R9GnYQ58

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Super mario bros 2 is the hardest of the trio. I think i only beat it a couple of times. I can beat 1 and 3 with one eye closed.

2 easy as gently caress man

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you can ride on enemies

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
In SMB2 that ice level where the birds fly at you hosed my poo poo up as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPfLIIweHk&t=114s

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

If you didn't say Super Off-Road......you are wrong.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

In SMB2 that ice level where the birds fly at you hosed my poo poo up as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPfLIIweHk&t=114s

just duck under em or jump over otherwise slide along geez its not hard

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Celluloid Sam posted:

although as a kid I was stuck for like 3 months because I didn't know you had to go talk to the king lmao

If you spent every single gold he gave you at the start you could walk up to him and he'd give you the starting gold again. And keep doing it until you had an odd amount you couldn't spend to zero.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I've gotten to where I always got stuck as a kid in faxanadu already in like 20 minutes and made it past

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Celluloid Sam posted:

I've gotten to where I always got stuck as a kid in faxanadu already in like 20 minutes and made it past

its fun playing a nes game as an adult and kicking the poo poo out of kid you

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
The worst part of SMB2 was in that desert level where the moment you picked up a key, Phanto chased you around relentlessly unless you dropped the key. Young me always got really anxious about it and would try to do everything too fast and inevitably gently caress up.

Same kinda panic that Sonic 2 time running out/drowning music instilled.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
We brought up the old snes some time back and I was shocked at the memory I had of super Mario world. I can barely remember day to day things but I recalled where every switch passage, star road secret, warp tunnels, etc were. Same when I did a play through of super Mario 3. The things that stick with you.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If you didn't say Super Off-Road......you are wrong.

I had Super Off Road: The Baja for SNES which was pretty messed up because you could run over the spectators.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xanei.exe posted:

Games were literally just better up until around the GameCube era. I mean the games were still good from time to time but things just slowly started changing for the worse. I like to think that games reached their peak around the 64 and PlayStation since games were doing way more than they ever could but without having to sacrifice quality, features, or just content in general.

lol, PS1/N64 era was the nadir of console gaming. The shift to 3D rendered a lot of skills more or less obsolete and it took another decade for developers to get back to where they had been before.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Parallax Scroll posted:

just duck under em or jump over otherwise slide along geez its not hard

Look man I was an RPG kid I didn't have reflexes that sharp okay

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best games have nearly always been iterated on PC. The only exception i can think of are sports games and very specifically japanese style rpgs. Everything else was done first and better on pc then iterated on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Jastiger posted:

The best games have nearly always been iterated on PC. The only exception i can think of are sports games and very specifically japanese style rpgs. Everything else was done first and better on pc then iterated on.

I hate agreeing with you, but you're right. I always played console for platformers, SRPGs, and fighting games. PC was everything else.

• Locked thread