Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have beaten Contra many times without using the 30 lives cheat :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-it-be-nintendo-game-play-counselor-224289

There's a cool interview with a couple of former Nintendo Help Line game counselors.
Pretty cool look into what it was like for them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

That last bit did. Not. Happen.

Read the article dude, guy said it's technically correct because he used the controller on the powerglove

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Super Ninja Fish posted:

From Volgarr the Viking's kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking/description

These developers are good people.

Back on NES, every game used to be like this.

Yeah, NES games obscured their limited content behind a wall of inflated difficulty. Modern games pad their length by adding collectibles and achievements.

I was 12 when Ocarina of Time came out, and I played the crap out of it. I remember looking down my nose at the kids who bought the strategy guide/walkthrough, thinking they were missing out on the experience by not spending 5 hours figuring out the stupid Water Temple.

Now I'm an adult and when I'm stuck on a video game for more than 2 minutes I go pull up a guide online because I don't have time for that anymore. I'm not going to backtrack through the sewer level looking for a door, because it's not fun or rewarding.

And in the NES era, "rewarding a player for skill" was little more than rote memorization. There was no depth to decision making.

• Locked thread