Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Tiny Toons for NES, to everyone's surprise, was actually a really stellar game. It also had some great music. This castle one, as well as the underwater theme, are my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxRg5vC07s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Most of my time spent on the NES was loving with games with Game Genie till no end. Just typing random codes, and when something cool happened, I kept track of that code and changed it a little bit to do something cooler. Eventually I could make Super Mario Bros look like a psychedelic drunken mess, with the graphics and sound. It may have done some damage to the cart or NES, I dunno.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Three-Phase posted:

http://youtu.be/0P3MV6K-pKg

Unfortunately that video didn't have the "SPAALONE! BABAGUUSCOOTES" Zelda glitch.

Oh my god, these are hilarious. And I found the one you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmAPZpJTSM

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It also endlessly fascinates me that Paperboy is the only game that isn't compatible because it's the entire game in the entire NES library that they were too lazy to program and RGB color palette for.

What. What did they do instead?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nothing. The game just crashes.

It's so weird because think of every single poo poo game made on the NES, all of them had an RGB palette programmed. Jaws. Back to the Future. Mickey Mousecapade. Wayne's World. But not Paperboy. :iiam:

Ah okay, but I want to know how did Paperboy display its colors on a regular unmodified NES if an RGB palette wasn't programmed?

e: Wrong use of "it's"

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 19, 2016

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

notZaar posted:

Mario Maker may be terrible (I didn't play it because I have no nostalgia in 2D Mario games) but 3D World on the WiiU is super fun and it's got 4 player co op too. That's the good Mario game on the WiiU.

It's not. It's loving incredible, and has a huge fan base, including those who do Kaizo speed runs on AGDQ.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Has anyone played Firehawk?

It gives a similar gratifying sensation in Blast Corps from leveling everything in a level. It was the only thing I ever bought off a home shopping network, and was well worth it. Need to get this game again. It's by Code Masters, if that says anything.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Even though I love NES, there's not many games that come to mind that I still would like to play today, but thanks to this thread I now have pretty much every one that was suggested and my mind is blown how much excitement they have given me so far. I just started too. Many thanks.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
It's interesting to see how long it took for platformers to do away with score and lives from being so used to sticking with the methods they used to design arcade games. Score was pretty much objectively pointless because of how unnoticed it was. Super Mario Bros should have removed lives from the games a long time ago, and I'm surprised they still stick around today. It's almost impossible to get a game over in Super Mario Galaxy because extra lives are so abundant.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Heath posted:

Lives in Mario are a psychological thing. My earliest memory is finding a green mushroom in a hidden block in the first game and running to tell my mom about it, and God drat if I don't go running and risking life and limb to get green mushrooms in modern Mario games even if I already have 55 lives

I love getting them too, but maybe it would be better if they had a different incentive, and just remove lives completely so you can endlessly try a level, because either that you're just going to get a continue and maybe restart at the beginning of a "world" or not depending on what game it is.

Possibly they could be one-time hidden collectables, and the crazies will look all throughout the game to collect 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What is the largest NES game in file size? I know it's not technically a "file", but you know what I mean.

• Locked thread