Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
"the high cost of living is what's killing San Francisco" -baker who charges $4 for a $1.50 slice of toast

nuke san francisco imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
"gentrification is ruining san francisco" - white woman who benefits directly from gentrification

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How can you tell someone is from the west coast?

they're a big stupid idiot.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also they have better access to killer weed. And burritos.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
yeah, you better stop that gentrification before it's too late- if they're not careful there won't be any affordable properties in San Francisco.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

has anyone tried gentrifying oakland? and I mean the flats not oakland hills.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Germstore posted:

has anyone tried gentrifying oakland? and I mean the flats not oakland hills.

Yea dummy, anywhere in Oakland remotely near BART is now priced like SF was 6 years ago.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
gentrify antioch imo

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
lol people openly poo poo in the streets in sf.
human poo poo on my kicks.
smdh

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
gentrification is good imo. idk why you dumbass retards are complaining about your city being nicer

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

people in videos of san francisco always seem so chill and act like nothing bothers them but anyone who has ever been knows it's one of the most hostile cities. everyone drives like an rear end in a top hat and everyone who walks wants to push you into the street. the only nice people are homeless and there is probably something to that.

that being said, toast is crunchy and warm

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i'd pay 10 dollars for a toast

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

jigglemaster7 posted:

gentrification is good imo. idk why you dumbass retards are complaining about your city being nicer

It's not nicer. It's just full of more milquetoast white people that love mcdonalds and are afraid to eat anything new.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love McDobald's

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
You can say its 3.99 but you cant fool me thats really 4 bucks you rear end.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

shoophobo posted:

"the high cost of living is what's killing San Francisco" -baker who charges $4 for a $1.50 slice of toast

nuke san francisco imo

$1.50 slice of toast?

Anyway he's kind of right. You aren't going to be driven out of the city by the high cost of toast. The inexplicable existence of high priced gourmet toast doesn't make all the more reasonable toast options disappear.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's not nicer. It's just full of more milquetoast white people that love mcdonalds and are afraid to eat anything new.

thats pretty chill

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

apparently they are not at all afraid of new toast experiences

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

*much* no i'm a gourmand *crunch* this toast is very daring *crunch smack* we're disruptively creating a whole new chapter in the food history of our proud city *huffs farts*

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hit a nerve apparently. That's why my wit is often described as rapier.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Germstore posted:

$1.50 slice of toast?

Anyway he's kind of right. You aren't going to be driven out of the city by the high cost of toast. The inexplicable existence of high priced gourmet toast doesn't make all the more reasonable toast options disappear.

it's a symptom not the actual problem sure, but it is emblematic of the problem in a way that the retard from the video doesn't seem to get

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

San Fransisco/LA seems like the kind of place you can go with an outright malicious idea to gently caress with people, like charging ten dollars for handcrafted mineral water or putting up public toilets that cost a dollar per use, and it would still sell

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

At least it looks like you get fancy butters and poo poo. Still dumb though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is this another thread where gbs is mad that not everyone is a poor? Like, $4 for a slice of toast seems kinda silly but so is $2 for a bowl of
grits, that poo poo is basically animal feed.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
I can't for the life of me figure how a single slice of toast costs $4. Even the highest quality ingredients can't all add up to $3 a serving. There is a good chunk of profit there. For that guy in the video to sit and say he doesn't make a profit is like Apple saying they sell iPhones at cost.

regardless, it's very courageous.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

shoophobo posted:

I can't for the life of me figure how a single slice of toast costs $4. Even the highest quality ingredients can't all add up to $3 a serving. There is a good chunk of profit there. For that guy in the video to sit and say he doesn't make a profit is like Apple saying they sell iPhones at cost.

regardless, it's very courageous.

He's either lying or is utterly terrible at operating a business.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This toast is ruining San Fransisco.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I moved to San Francisco in early 2007 and found a room in the Mission for like 600 bucks. I had a job lined up already (which was being phone support for phone sex operators and phone psychics, which I could write a whole thread on) and the guy who created the Mill, Josie Baker (his real last name!) was good friends and a prior tenant at my place, which was with 5 other people who were all great - dog walkers, artists, etc. Obviously this was before everyone not in tech got gradually priced out.

Josie was one of the nicest dudes I ever met, and he busted his rear end to create that place. He just fell in love with bread and would use generously-shared ovens when places weren't using them and would bake bread at like 2am to 5am and just sell loaves personally to people, and just worked up from there. When a dude you like succeeds in something he's passionate about, it's a Good Thing.

I went there when I still lived there and bought a toast. It's good. 4 dollar toast itself isn't the problem - it's far more complicated than that - but it could be regarded as a symbol for what cost expectations continually are building in SF - ie no poors allowed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
People who live near there: More money than they can spend
+
$4 toast place: Exists
---
Checks out

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

shoophobo posted:

nuke san francisco imo

$1.50? More like free with the meal you actually ordered. It literally cost a restaurant 5 cents per piece of bread and a half a penny in energy to toast it. Oh and I guess another 5 cents for the slice of butter.

Profit margins be like

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This toast is making me thirsty.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

you are actually paying for labor and overhead when you buy food not the raw cost of ingredients you spergs

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

ask me about my artisnal toast food truck

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

the great deceiver posted:

ask me about my artisnal toast food truck

do you give wedgies with each toast?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

the great deceiver posted:

you are actually paying for labor and overhead when you buy food not the raw cost of ingredients you spergs

It's generally 4X the cost of the raw materials, which would end up being about $4, but usually food gets prepared and cooked rather than sliced and toasted.

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

It's generally 4X the cost of the raw materials, which would end up being about $4, but usually food gets prepared and cooked rather than sliced and toasted.

blech

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7KK7bXJV2c

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
if you ever bought french toast at a restaurant idk how its different than this toast seller.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

He bought that drat bread at a bakery. If I was running the bakery I'd buy a bunch of toasters and gently caress his business model right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Germstore posted:

baking bread is labor intensive also you need to count the cost of labor & ingredients for the toppings such as jam, fresh-made butter etc. overhead in SF is gonna be a lot more than overhead in richmond or san leandro so of course your prices are gonna seem higher. $4 for this dish is not unreasonable at all imo but then again maybe i've worked in the restaurant biz too long to have perspective

• Locked thread