Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I tried to watch the video but about a quarter through I realized they were literally not going to shut up about toast and they were going to say A LOT of pretentious words to describe said toast. But if morons are lining up to throw money at business owners, who are they to turn it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Man, I just don't know at this point.

Good for them for selling toast to idiots I guess. gently caress it.

My back hurts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RedMage129 posted:

I tried to watch the video but about a quarter through I realized they were literally not going to shut up about toast and they were going to say A LOT of pretentious words to describe said toast. But if morons are lining up to throw money at business owners, who are they to turn it down?

selling artisan toast, so the shop owners can buy beard wax, so the beard wax salesman can buy wooden glasses, so the glasses craftsman can buy virtual space ships?

at what point does anyone in america produce anything of actual use?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rutibex posted:

selling artisan toast, so the shop owners can buy beard wax, so the beard wax salesman can buy wooden glasses, so the glasses craftsman can buy virtual space ships?

at what point does anyone in america produce anything of actual use?

Weed farmers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wendigee posted:

As soon as you stop making GBS threads up the chinar threads.

You seem upset lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I like how the one guy in the video is trying to be all dismissive about "people are saying it's a some kind of reflection of the tech guys faaaaaaaaaaaaart."

It is, though. It's a food you can feed to a child that's ready for solids. Tech dudes are, in my experience, basically tall children that have money. I'm up in New San Francisco, Oregon, and we have several food carts specializing in this kind of thing. We have one that's so successful at just selling grilled cheese that they have a mobile operation and I think they do catering. There's a peanut butter and jelly cart right next to a french fry cart that also has a pbj option. My girlfriend's spot will sell you a fried bologna sandwich for like twelve bucks.

The best way to make money in the restaurant game when the tech guys descend is apparently to find something that a two year old would like that costs about a buck to make, and then sell it for eight dollars. I don't think anybody is doing elevated chicken strips yet, so if you have a bunch of money you don't care about and would like to make too much money off it, hit me up. Set up next to a titty bar, call it STRIPPED in a cool font, write the menu like "STRIP - slaw" and you can flip seventy five cent chicken strips with a nickle's worth of slaw for about seven bucks a pop all day long.

Once that makes its first hundred grand we can do a sitdown called ILLness that just does canned chicken and stars with some green onions chopped on top for 13 a bowl and has a sort of limp hiphop theme. Get at me, this is not a complicated market

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Cowboy Pope posted:

The best way to make money in the restaurant game when the tech guys descend is apparently to find something that a two year old would like that costs about a buck to make, and then sell it for eight dollars. I don't think anybody is doing elevated chicken strips yet, so if you have a bunch of money you don't care about and would like to make too much money off it, hit me up. Set up next to a titty bar, call it STRIPPED in a cool font, write the menu like "STRIP - slaw" and you can flip seventy five cent chicken strips with a nickle's worth of slaw for about seven bucks a pop all day long.

on it as we speak

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
im going to open a hipster cafe where you can have any can of soup from anywhere in the world. you want polish chicken noodle soup? we got that! how about chinese Italian Wedding? of course!

will even microwave it for you. crackers are extra

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
artisinal toast place near me is more expensive. i was curious.

http://sqirlla.com/menu/

i postedthis place earlier itt but no menu. i went there 1nce with my girl friend and the line was 99999999999999999 ppl long. fail. was deece i guess but w/e

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think their jam is special or something. i dont like that place

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I had to google what Chicken Strips was. Isn't that just chicken nuggets?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I had to google what Chicken Strips was. Isn't that just chicken nuggets?

???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm assuming your username is a shared account for the zulu tribe of zimbabwe

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I live near a Denny's and their french toast is $7.89.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is a fancy chicken strip place in Phily, don't remember the name but it is in the gayborhood.

poo poo was delicious though, I think they must pressure fry them as even the whitemeat ones were most as gently caress. They had some bomb rear end sauces too. +A would spend $8 on chicken strips again.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
There's a deeper reason this poo poo is stupid.

First of all, according to their menu, the first listed toast (Dark Mountain Rye w/ Cream Cheese) is FIVE DOLLARS. Now whether or not you think five bux is ok for a toasted piece of bread doesn't matter yet. Maybe the bread is super fuckin expensive and is made from flour that is from the rear end end of the universe or something.

Scroll down the menu and you'll see the prices for whole loaves of bread. The same bread that goes into the rye w/ cream cheese is $7.50. Last I checked making bread dough, taking time to let it rise, and baking it is way harder than cutting off a piece of a finished product and throwin it in a fuckin toaster for a minute. But somehow, the cut, toast, spread cheese on it process makes it worth 2/3 of the product it came from.

Whole loaf - $7.50
One Slice of Toast - $5.00

seriously what the gently caress

sudonim fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2016

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

jigglemaster7 posted:

gentrification is good imo. idk why you dumbass retards are complaining about your city being nicer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sudonim posted:

Whole loaf - $7.50
One Slice of Toast - $5.00

seriously what the gently caress

Omg. Cannot. Unsee. :stare:

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe

Smythe posted:

Omg. Cannot. Unsee. :stare:

U r mean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief
Sep 18, 2016

by Smythe
u r a cruel mod please cease and desist this atrocity at once!!!!!!!!

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
I'm not really mad, just kind of angry. Im just praying for the Big One to come soon so the whole wretched state can be crushed and washed into the sea.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

the great deceiver posted:

baking bread is labor intensive also you need to count the cost of labor & ingredients for the toppings such as jam, fresh-made butter etc. overhead in SF is gonna be a lot more than overhead in richmond or san leandro so of course your prices are gonna seem higher. $4 for this dish is not unreasonable at all imo but then again maybe i've worked in the restaurant biz too long to have perspective

You're way overblowing how labor intensive all this is. For this 'dish' it's a buttered piece of toast.

I mean sorry but you're completely ignoring scale here it's not like they are making one loaf at a time and hand churning small batches of butter (pretty sure they buy that anyway).

Business Insider posted:

Today, The Mill serves 400 slices of toast on the average weekend day, with as many as six four-slice toasters going at once.

400 x $4 = $1600 a day there's no way it costs anything near that to operate this business. Even if they only do half that on weekdays that's still bank for what it is. The rent can only be something like $7-8 per sq ft per month which is only a few grand at most and the labor for 2-3 people to operate a couple toasters and work the register is only a few grand per month as well.

Seems to me like they can meet their operating expenses in about a week even if ingredients and materials are half of the cost of each dish (they aren't).

e:

Germstore posted:

He didn't bake the bread though. He bought bread from a bakery, which sandwich shops do as well, but I would argue that sandwiches are far more transformative than toast.

and if that's true then jfc. The video said he was baking his own special blend of flour but if it's just getting delivered every AM from a bakery... :argh:

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 18, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Roylicious posted:

You're way overblowing how labor intensive all this is. For this 'dish' it's a buttered piece of toast.

I mean sorry but you're completely ignoring scale here it's not like they are making one loaf at a time and hand churning small batches of butter (pretty sure they buy that anyway).

400 x $4 = $1600 a day there's no way it costs anything near that to operate this business. Even if they only do half that on weekdays that's still bank for what it is. The rent can only be something like $7-8 per sq ft per month which is only a few grand at most and the labor for 2-3 people to operate a couple toasters and work the register is only a few grand per month as well.

Seems to me like they can meet their operating expenses in about a week even if ingredients and materials are half of the cost of each dish (they aren't).

e:

and if that's true then jfc. The video said he was baking his own special blend of flour but if it's just getting delivered every AM from a bakery...

It isn't. I wasn't paying much attention.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Still it's not like he's making one loaf at a time, with a commercial kitchen you can easily crank out a lot of bread every AM.

I mean it's a smart business model for taking advantage of autist tech yuppies with too much cash to burn but it's pretty niche and I don't see it becoming a popular craze or something.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I went to one of these places in the SF Sunset district once. The guy behind the register was complaining about gentrification and yuppies while working at a coffee shop serving $5 toast. It was pretty much SF in a nutshell

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Why are people complaining about $4 toast when their coffee costs $20.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Roylicious posted:

i guess the more important point is if you can get away with charging $4 for toast why the gently caress wouldn't you

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

i guess the more important point is if you can get away with charging $4 for toast why the gently caress wouldn't you

benis man

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

seems like the kind of place that does well at first since everyone wants to see what the hype is about but then dies off since no one is going to be a regular customer of the $4 toast place.

kind of like all those cupcake shops that were really popular 4-5 years ago.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

yoloer420 posted:

I couldn't tell the difference between German and Swiss German when I was in Zurich. Same thing imo.

They speak more standard German to people who aren't Swiss I think, then the Germans say "oh Swiss German isn't so difficult after all" (based on what the Swiss and Germans said, my German isn't good enough to pick up anything other than more obvious vocab difference s)

Plus Zurich is Zurich and not a tiny little german farmer town obv

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
The original $4 toast lady is mentally ill and making toast was the only job she could handle

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

seems like the kind of place that does well at first since everyone wants to see what the hype is about but then dies off since no one is going to be a regular customer of the $4 toast place.

kind of like all those cupcake shops that were really popular 4-5 years ago.

boomhaur only got so far before dale got gay with him

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah it's the customers who are stupid enough to make a market for this, the guy is just taking advantage of a business opportunity. Like I pointed out, just spend 2.50 more and get the whole goddamn loaf and have like 10 pieces of toast at home. And who goes out for toast anyway? So fuckin weird.

I was also trying to figure out what's up with the $20 coffee. I'm hoping that's for bags of beans or something. Still steep but not insane like a :20bux: cup a joe.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Oh no definitely, I was just :rolleyes: at the post saying he's probably not making that much profit.

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
4 dollar toast is a rip off gently caress u ppl

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:

nobody speak posted:

4 dollar toast is a rip off gently caress u ppl

the toast looked mad thick and had some kind of cream cheese on it, basically the same as ordering a bagle and cream cheese from panera except higher quality. whats the problem?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jigglemaster7 posted:

the toast looked mad thick and had some kind of cream cheese on it, basically the same as ordering a bagle and cream cheese from panera except higher quality. whats the problem?

when you get a bagel they cut it in half and put cream cheese on both sides

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

jigglemaster7 posted:

Who pays $4 for a bagel with cream cheese?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

You sound REALLY MAD, but it's not REALLY MAD about $4 Toast.

U might think he's mad about toast, but actually he's just.... jelly. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Roylicious posted:

Who pays $4 for a bagel with cream cheese?

Do you live under a rock? Panera bread and Einstein Bros are huge chains and p much every coffee shop sells that kinda poo poo too without even baking it in house.

I think threads like these can probably be explained by goons never leaving their houses.

• Locked thread