Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I paid $3 for an entire baguette and that will make better toast than they could ever dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I paid $3 for an entire baguette and that will make better toast than they could ever dream of.

I paid 4 dollars for half a baguette sandwich that had chicken, arugula, and pesto on it. this transaction would no doubt shatter the entire bay area economy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't stop laughing at the coffee prices, holy poo poo if 5 coworkers went out for some coffee their bill would be over $100.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
even i'll say the $20 coffee is beyond the pale jfc

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

frof

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
well it sure would be nice to confront the force that centralizes economic activity, but i guess until then we can get REALLY OUTRAGED at $20 gallons of milk

You guys ever seen grocery prices out at far flung arctic oil and fishing centers? At least in SF you have a lot going on too

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
otoh at least in alaska the beards are functional instead of artisinal

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
has anyone mentioned how SF sucks poo poo yet? cause whoooooohh baby does that city ever suck poo poo

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Nooner posted:

has anyone mentioned how SF sucks poo poo yet? cause whoooooohh baby does that city ever suck poo poo

I know, man, I live in Mayburry ca. 1947 and there's nothing but bright gray skies and fishin' holes tbh everywhere looks like poo poo to me

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

the great deceiver posted:

Their menu is in that trendy style of being sparse with their descriptions so I'm assuming those are for 12oz bags of beans. Because if thats really :20bux: for a cup of coffee then goddamn.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it's like a full meal out of one or two slices, what a deal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

I think the more :psyduck: thing on that menu is $20 for a 12 oz cup of "gourmet" coffee.

i was prepared to accept the $4 toast, but when i saw the prices of the coffee i had a physical sensation of deep disgust. what the hell is wrong with these people?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
There are tons of bottles of wine that cost well over $100 per bottle, or you can get a bottle of poo poo wine for $2.
Some food and drink items are more expensive than others. So loving what.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Mnemosyne posted:

There are tons of bottles of wine that cost well over $100 per bottle, or you can get a bottle of poo poo wine for $2.

Wildly overpaying for things such as a $20 cup of coffee is worthy of scorn.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i think it's ok to get mad at someone who tells me toast is a slice of simplicity in a world ruled by money and technology

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mnemosyne posted:

so buttons :colbert:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mnemosyne posted:

And those bottles over $100 are for snobs who want to prove how refined they are and how little money matters to them, but then they taste little different than a $10-15 bottle.

And again, the issue isn't that there's a sucker born every minute, it's that their lack of discrimination leads to them bargaining the prices of normal goods up for the rest of us, especially in the tech areas where all the socially awkward :spergin:s whose parents never taught them about money don't recognize that "I have another buyer already lined up" is a common sales tactic and since they can afford it they not only don't bargain, but will frequently bid up housing prices to get what they want based on "I can afford this thing I really really want", instead of shopping around or saying "that seems a little unreasonable", which is why average rents in LA are exceeding 50% of local median monthly income.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

My Q-Face posted:

And those bottles over $100 are for snobs who want to prove how refined they are and how little money matters to them, but then they taste little different than a $10-15 bottle.

And again, the issue isn't that there's a sucker born every minute, it's that their lack of discrimination leads to them bargaining the prices of normal goods up for the rest of us, especially in the tech areas where all the socially awkward :spergin:s whose parents never taught them about money don't recognize that "I have another buyer already lined up" is a common sales tactic and since they can afford it they not only don't bargain, but will frequently bid up housing prices to get what they want based on "I can afford this thing I really really want", instead of shopping around or saying "that seems a little unreasonable", which is why average rents in LA are exceeding 50% of local median monthly income.

One of my friends is an autist tech nerd and despite making $90K+ a year he is consistently broke because he wastes away all his money on stupid poo poo like that. I can only imagine what happens when you get a bunch of them together and give them even more money.

San Francisco and $20 cups of joe, I guess.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

social vegan posted:

i think it's ok to get mad at someone who tells me toast is a slice of simplicity in a world ruled by money and technology

Who the gently caress said this to you!!? I need a name!!!!!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
$4 toast isn't a big deal, but everyone in that video convinced me that Ambrose Bierce was the only good thing to come out of San Francisco

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love goon outrage over expensive versions of regular food. Like, sure some of the people regularly eating it are broke early-20s morons, but a large portion of people in SF make like $120k a year. It may shock you but 4 bucks for coffee and 4 bucks for toast is a tiny little drop in the bucket as far as their regular expenses go.

poo poo I'm yuppy scum in Vermont and i still don't blink spending $15 on a weekday breakfast with locally raised horse-pressed quinoa or whatever the hell is cool these days.

I know, I know, I could easily get cheaper calories at the old-rear end greasy spoon diner, but on the other hand gently caress off and eat your own food that you've spreadsheeted out to maximize your sadly earned, hard won buck.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 20, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Roylicious posted:

One of my friends is an autist tech nerd and despite making $90K+ a year he is consistently broke because he wastes away all his money on stupid poo poo like that. I can only imagine what happens when you get a bunch of them together and give them even more money.

San Francisco and $20 cups of joe, I guess.

I for one am looking forward to being priced into South Central Los Angeles when "Silicon Beach" really takes off. I've already moved out of one apartment when they decided that a >10% annual rent increase was perfectly reasonable.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

I love goon outrage over expensive versions of regular food. Like, sure some of the people regularly eating it are broke early-20s morons, but a large portion of people in SF make like $120k a year. It may shock you but 4 bucks for coffee and 4 bucks for toast is a tiny little drop in the bucket as far as their regular expenses go.

poo poo I'm yuppy scum in Vermont and i still don't blink spending $15 on a weekday breakfast with locally raised horse-pressed quinoa or whatever the gently caress is cool these days.

I know, I know, I could easily get cheaper calories at the old-rear end greasy spoon diner, but on the other hand some gently caress off and eat your own food.

hot off thhe horse press the verdict on trans bahtrooms? nay!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tumble posted:

poo poo I'm yuppy scum in Vermont and i still don't blink spending $15 on a weekday breakfast with locally raised horse-pressed quinoa or whatever the gently caress is cool these days.

I know, I know, I could easily get cheaper calories at the old-rear end greasy spoon diner, but on the other hand gently caress off and eat your own food that you've spreadsheeted out to maximize your sadly earned, hard won buck.

In my opinion the danger of horse pressing more than justified the price.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
germs tore?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really want some dank rear end toast right now, I would go and pay for $4 toast with a friend or two.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this toast really grinds my gears!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
a quick google shows that those coffee prices are for 12 oz of beans not a 12 oz cup of coffee but don't let reality stand in you guys's way

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tumble posted:

It's $20 for coffee. And that's 5k a year in coffee if you drink it every day.

Also, median rent in SF is 3500 for a one bedroom. Even if you're making 120k a year that's rough.

I make a comfortable above-median-for-LA salary and I spend some of my money on stupid poo poo without it really digging into my normal expenses.

I also recognize when I'm being fleeced and say "nope, enough is enough".

I also recognize that when people don't do that, it drives prices up for other things as landlords and other store owners see extra disposable income and say :signings: "hey, I gotta get mine too!" :capitalism: then it ends up affecting even the people who aren't making those comfortable salaries.

Am I salty? A bit, but my old landlord (a rental properties company from Texas :argh: ) raised my rent almost 15% this year because of that perception and the FYGM attitude. (And possibly because of the whole foods opening down the street). For less than what they were asking for a shithole in a bad neighborhood abutted to a busy highway in northeastern Orange County, I got a slightly smaller but still decent two bedroom on the west side just a few minutes from the beach with a local landlord. :corsair::corsair::corsair:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
it's twenty dollars for a bag of beans jfc that's pretty normal for buying beans from a local coffee shop.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

a quick google shows that those coffee prices are for 12 oz of beans not a 12 oz cup of coffee but don't let reality stand in you guys's way

Get out of here with your :airquote:reality:airquote:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

My Q-Face posted:

It's $20 for coffee. And that's 5k a year in coffee if you drink it every day.

Also, median rent in SF is 3500 for a one bedroom. Even if you're making 120k a year that's rough.

I make a comfortable above-median-for-LA salary and I spend some of my money on stupid poo poo without it really digging into my normal expenses.

I also recognize when I'm being fleeced and say "nope, enough is enough".

I also recognize that when people don't do that, it drives prices up for other things as landlords and other store owners see extra disposable income and say :signings: "hey, I gotta get mine too!" :capitalism: then it ends up affecting even the people who aren't making those comfortable salaries.

Am I salty? A bit, but my old landlord (a rental properties company from Texas :argh: ) raised my rent almost 15% this year because of that perception and the FYGM attitude. (And possibly because of the whole foods opening down the street). For less than what they were asking for a shithole in a bad neighborhood abutted to a busy highway in northeastern Orange County, I got a slightly smaller but still decent two bedroom on the west side just a few minutes from the beach with a local landlord. :corsair::corsair::corsair:

The rent is too drat high.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
this place also has pizza on mondays which looks dank

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

this toast really grinds my gears!!

Probably because it's... jammed. :grin:

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Tumble posted:

Lol if you think $120k goes far in SF

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I went to Joel Robuchon's and ordered the $40 scallop dish and I figured it'd be 2 pounds of scallops since they're about 18 bucks a pound at the store so imagine my surprise when my meal showed up and it was only one scallop.

I screamed "scallops are only $1 each at the grocery" as I forced broken shards of my dinner plate down the throat of Joel, after having shoved the lone scallop directly up his rear end.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Absolute Lithops posted:

Lol if you think $120k goes far in SF

Goes pretty far, imo. Like out well past Oakland.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ork of Fiction posted:

Goes pretty far, imo. Like out well past Oakland.

As in that's where you would be living, is what I mean.

Like, you would have to commute to the city from the suburbs.

\Because that salary doesn't provide for much in the San Francisco area, at least, from my impressions of the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

I went to Joel Robuchon's and ordered the $40 scallop dish and I figured it'd be 2 pounds of scallops since they're about 18 bucks a pound at the store so imagine my surprise when my meal showed up and it was only one scallop.

I screamed "scallops are only $1 each at the grocery" as I forced broken shards of my dinner plate down the throat of Joel, after having shoved the lone scallop directly up his rear end.
Scallops can take way more skill and effort to make into a dish then turning a slice of bread into toast and if you don't think so then please stay out of the kitchen forever you'd probably hurt yourself in there :ohdear:

• Locked thread