Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i cant believe im writing this many words on artisnal toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe
yes i enjoy meth liar made bread the special kind of bread METH LIAR BREAD the g00d stuff like ~st33t m34tz~

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i hate you so much dare

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

the great deceiver posted:

you are actually paying for labor and overhead when you buy food not the raw cost of ingredients you spergs

Also rent

That said, paying $4 for toast is still extremely retarded

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe

i hate you so much dare

i told u to move in with me a decade ago u made up bullshit gently caress u stop being mad be proud jose didnt end up like us (i hope) and jules works at fb now

WHO ARE THESE PPL WE ARENT REAL

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe
u can move back up here anytime u want ill even introduce u to caroline if im not in cuffs. we will probably make a lot of money. honestly id rather go there. can i marry ur sister still?

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe
sell me ur sister j

SELL HER TO ME

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

baking bread is labor intensive also you need to count the cost of labor & ingredients for the toppings such as jam, fresh-made butter etc. overhead in SF is gonna be a lot more than overhead in richmond or san leandro so of course your prices are gonna seem higher. $4 for this dish is not unreasonable at all imo but then again maybe i've worked in the restaurant biz too long to have perspective

He didn't bake the bread though. He bought bread from a bakery, which sandwich shops do as well, but I would argue that sandwiches are far more transformative than toast.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
bunch of toast casuals posting itt

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Germstore posted:

He didn't bake the bread though. He bought bread from a bakery, which sandwich shops do as well, but I would argue that sandwiches are far more transformative than toast.

lol i missed that he didnt even bake the bread? thats weak

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Egorger Le Chef posted:

I love toast. it is a lifestyle. I could see myself paying $4 for toast if it is really good bread, and it comes with really good butter and toppings. My last meal involved toast with cheese, because I love toast and cheese.

They let you post on GBS from death row?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

a bone to pick posted:

if you ever bought french toast at a restaurant idk how its different than this toast seller.

gently caress think of the markup on pancakes and eggs. Or getting a simple americano at a cafe.

3.50 for a hefty slice of in house made loafs with cream cheese or w/e seems about as reasonable as a lot of things.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Paging moridin to this thead

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There's like an order of magnitude difference in labor between toast and french toast.

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe
who cant bake bread you fools ive worked in many bakeries and let me tell u about tempering the dough you are loving retarded k8

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Germstore posted:

In the op they specifically say they make the loafs and toppings themselves from locally sourced organic poo poo.

Which dont get me wrong i think thats a dumb thing to pay a huge markup for but for the people who do want those kinds of premiums 3.50 is not an unreasonable price to pay.

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe
french toast is the best with cinnamon

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Germstore posted:

There's like an order of magnitude difference in labor between toast and french toast.

Making pancakes is a whole lot easier than bread imo, eggs even moreso.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

Leave the swiss guy alone he has enough on his place being racist against everybody else, and pretending like their language is actually better than different to german

I couldn't tell the difference between German and Swiss German when I was in Zurich. Same thing imo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zzulu posted:

lol close enough:

serving stuff on shovels, chopping boards, and other stuff you can't properly clean is a good way to get sick, especially for something soft like an english breakfast. so at least you can laugh at these idiots giving themselves food poisoning.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tokamak posted:

serving stuff on shovels, chopping boards, and other stuff you can't properly clean is a good way to get sick, especially for something soft like an english breakfast. so at least you can laugh at these idiots giving themselves food poisoning.

A shovel is a smooth piece of steel im pretty sure you can clean it easily

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

Mange Mite posted:

A shovel is a smooth piece of steel im pretty sure you can clean it easily

lmao wrecked

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Still tardy as all gently caress. Put that full english on a plate like the queen intended you yankee fucks!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Germstore posted:

What? He absolutely bakes the bread. Are you just straight up deciding that he doesn't, that's the case, and barfing it out online? Did you miss the giant ovens in the back of the store in that video? C'MON SON

BREAD SON

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I started this thread just trollin' but now I'm actually on the toast guy's side, how else is he supposed to keep up with overhead? He probably has to pay unbelievable rent because its SF, gotta pay the dumbass workers $15/hr to sell bread all day, gotta buy a bunch of bullshit "organic" and "gourmet" ingredients for the hipsters... poo poo, that toast SHOULD be $20.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Floodixor posted:

What? He absolutely bakes the bread. Are you just straight up deciding that he doesn't, that's the case, and barfing it out online? Did you miss the giant ovens in the back of the store in that video? C'MON SON

BREAD SON

hmmm- I may have an attention disorder.

I guess he just figured out how to sell bread by the slice. Respect.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

a bone to pick posted:

I started this thread just trollin' but now I'm actually on the toast guy's side, how else is he supposed to keep up with overhead? He probably has to pay unbelievable rent because its SF, gotta pay the dumbass workers $15/hr to sell bread all day, gotta buy a bunch of bullshit "organic" and "gourmet" ingredients for the hipsters... poo poo, that toast SHOULD be $20.

$4 for what looks like a big chunk of bread and gourmet spread seems reasonable to me tbh

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

I think the fact that sf is an overpriced joke of a city is the overall message here yes

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Mnemosyne posted:

The video says it's actually $3.50 - $3.75 per slice of toast with topping. Isn't that roughly what a bagel + cream cheese costs? Nobody shits their pants about that, and it's the same thing; toasted bread product + cream cheese.

yes that is what a bagel and cream cheese costs if you're a loving moron

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

inkajoo posted:

cuck

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I like how he said it takes 36 hours to make a loaf of bread like they're constantly working that whole time.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

inkajoo posted:

I personally don't really eat them, so I can't say I'm up on prices, but I just went to Panera's website and tried to order one and with cream cheese it comes out to over $3.

And Panera is some plain, middle-class boring poo poo, not anything fancy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Panera really sucks.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Smythe posted:

Panera really sucks.

:agreed:

But nobody is accusing them of ruining the world for charging $3.30 for a bagel with cream cheese. But $3.50 - $3.75 for toast with cream cheese is a bridge too far.

EDIT: I kind of assume a bagel with cream cheese costs even more than that at Starbucks, but I couldn't find prices listed on their website, so I went with Panera.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can you people just stop being whiny losers about expensive toast that you will never buy? Is that like really so hard for you? Is that outside of your capacity you chumps?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Can you people just stop being whiny losers about expensive toast that you will never buy? Is that like really so hard for you? Is that outside of your capacity you chumps?

As soon as you stop making GBS threads up the chinar threads.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

As soon as you stop making GBS threads up the chinar threads.

You guys are such crybabies about it though. It's hilarious.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You guys are such crybabies about it though. It's hilarious.

nice meltdown

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't give a poo poo I just like reading the stories about face as its fascinating and hilarious and filtering for poo poo posts sucks and reminds of of the tronies trying to derail every thread they didn't like by spamming incoherent garbage for pages, but that was funnier because you could tell they were really mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Wendigee posted:

I don't give a poo poo I just like reading the stories about face as its fascinating and hilarious and filtering for poo poo posts sucks and reminds of of the tronies trying to derail every thread they didn't like by spamming incoherent garbage for pages, but that was funnier because you could tell they were really mad

You sound REALLY MAD, but it's not REALLY MAD about $4 Toast.

• Locked thread