Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
yeah, you better stop that gentrification before it's too late- if they're not careful there won't be any affordable properties in San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

has anyone tried gentrifying oakland? and I mean the flats not oakland hills.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

shoophobo posted:

"the high cost of living is what's killing San Francisco" -baker who charges $4 for a $1.50 slice of toast

nuke san francisco imo

$1.50 slice of toast?

Anyway he's kind of right. You aren't going to be driven out of the city by the high cost of toast. The inexplicable existence of high priced gourmet toast doesn't make all the more reasonable toast options disappear.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's not nicer. It's just full of more milquetoast white people that love mcdonalds and are afraid to eat anything new.

apparently they are not at all afraid of new toast experiences

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

At least it looks like you get fancy butters and poo poo. Still dumb though.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

the great deceiver posted:

you are actually paying for labor and overhead when you buy food not the raw cost of ingredients you spergs

It's generally 4X the cost of the raw materials, which would end up being about $4, but usually food gets prepared and cooked rather than sliced and toasted.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

He bought that drat bread at a bakery. If I was running the bakery I'd buy a bunch of toasters and gently caress his business model right up.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

baking bread is labor intensive also you need to count the cost of labor & ingredients for the toppings such as jam, fresh-made butter etc. overhead in SF is gonna be a lot more than overhead in richmond or san leandro so of course your prices are gonna seem higher. $4 for this dish is not unreasonable at all imo but then again maybe i've worked in the restaurant biz too long to have perspective

He didn't bake the bread though. He bought bread from a bakery, which sandwich shops do as well, but I would argue that sandwiches are far more transformative than toast.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There's like an order of magnitude difference in labor between toast and french toast.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Still tardy as all gently caress. Put that full english on a plate like the queen intended you yankee fucks!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Floodixor posted:

What? He absolutely bakes the bread. Are you just straight up deciding that he doesn't, that's the case, and barfing it out online? Did you miss the giant ovens in the back of the store in that video? C'MON SON

BREAD SON

hmmm- I may have an attention disorder.

I guess he just figured out how to sell bread by the slice. Respect.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

inkajoo posted:

yes that is what a bagel and cream cheese costs if you're a loving moron

cuck

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Roylicious posted:

You're way overblowing how labor intensive all this is. For this 'dish' it's a buttered piece of toast.

I mean sorry but you're completely ignoring scale here it's not like they are making one loaf at a time and hand churning small batches of butter (pretty sure they buy that anyway).

400 x $4 = $1600 a day there's no way it costs anything near that to operate this business. Even if they only do half that on weekdays that's still bank for what it is. The rent can only be something like $7-8 per sq ft per month which is only a few grand at most and the labor for 2-3 people to operate a couple toasters and work the register is only a few grand per month as well.

Seems to me like they can meet their operating expenses in about a week even if ingredients and materials are half of the cost of each dish (they aren't).

e:

and if that's true then jfc. The video said he was baking his own special blend of flour but if it's just getting delivered every AM from a bakery...

It isn't. I wasn't paying much attention.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

that and the fact that apparently no one here has owned a business or worked in a restaurant.

i will admit i am naive in the ways of bespoke toast

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

what do people think is a reasonable price for a large slice of toast with cream cheese or fresh jam or something

I don't know man, it's usually included in the cost of the real food.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, hear me out, I have an idea for a mexican restaurant that only sells tortilla chips. We got fancy salsas of course, but no fajitas or burritos or any of that poo poo. Just chips.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I swear to God if you boil your bagel before toasting it you deserve to go to Hell.

No, they boil them before they bake them because that is how you bagel.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'll put it this way. If I give the intern a hundo and he brings back a big box of toast for the morning meeting well he ain't working here no more.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Goddamn, that's pretty fuckin' good toast. I don't know if it's worth four dollars but it's pretty fuckin' good.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tumble posted:

I love goon outrage over expensive versions of regular food. Like, sure some of the people regularly eating it are broke early-20s morons, but a large portion of people in SF make like $120k a year. It may shock you but 4 bucks for coffee and 4 bucks for toast is a tiny little drop in the bucket as far as their regular expenses go.

poo poo I'm yuppy scum in Vermont and i still don't blink spending $15 on a weekday breakfast with locally raised horse-pressed quinoa or whatever the gently caress is cool these days.

I know, I know, I could easily get cheaper calories at the old-rear end greasy spoon diner, but on the other hand gently caress off and eat your own food that you've spreadsheeted out to maximize your sadly earned, hard won buck.

In my opinion the danger of horse pressing more than justified the price.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

It's $20 for coffee. And that's 5k a year in coffee if you drink it every day.

Also, median rent in SF is 3500 for a one bedroom. Even if you're making 120k a year that's rough.

I make a comfortable above-median-for-LA salary and I spend some of my money on stupid poo poo without it really digging into my normal expenses.

I also recognize when I'm being fleeced and say "nope, enough is enough".

I also recognize that when people don't do that, it drives prices up for other things as landlords and other store owners see extra disposable income and say :signings: "hey, I gotta get mine too!" :capitalism: then it ends up affecting even the people who aren't making those comfortable salaries.

Am I salty? A bit, but my old landlord (a rental properties company from Texas :argh: ) raised my rent almost 15% this year because of that perception and the FYGM attitude. (And possibly because of the whole foods opening down the street). For less than what they were asking for a shithole in a bad neighborhood abutted to a busy highway in northeastern Orange County, I got a slightly smaller but still decent two bedroom on the west side just a few minutes from the beach with a local landlord. :corsair::corsair::corsair:

The rent is too drat high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A 400% or so increase over the cost of the ingredients is expected, but you have that for the bread which is reasonable, but then there's another 400% increase from bread to toast. They're double dipping the mark-up, Jerry! They made the bread they marked it up and then they marked it up again!

From now on when you mark up your bread mark it up once and end it!

• Locked thread