Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like the sound a old vw beetle makes. like bwet bwet bwet bwet bwet bwet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
memories of dad teach me of the thing u press on the engine that makes it rev up, the little throttle thing. cool memory.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BONGHITZ posted:

how do you start it, what is the deal with the third pedal?

in the '89 mazda 323 hatch i had, you started it with the third pedal.

Poor tin can's starter solenoid welded shut so as long as the car was in start *or* run, the starter would turn. obv bad. So I rooted around and found the starter harness, or at least a bunch of wires that when pulled out made the starter stop spinning. i'd park on hills and roll start it by popping the clutch; in bad situations with no hills to park on, i could turn on the car and pop the hood, hook the wiring harness back up for a second with an accompanying huge shower of sparks as the starter cranked, slam the hood and go

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

in the '89 mazda 323 hatch i had, you started it with the third pedal.

Poor tin can's starter solenoid welded shut so as long as the car was in start *or* run, the starter would turn. obv bad. So I rooted around and found the starter harness, or at least a bunch of wires that when pulled out made the starter stop spinning. i'd park on hills and roll start it by popping the clutch; in bad situations with no hills to park on, i could turn on the car and pop the hood, hook the wiring harness back up for a second with an accompanying huge shower of sparks as the starter cranked, slam the hood and go

cool

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

they're so god drat fun

saw a superclean beetle the other day, period appropriate wheels and everything. it must have had a pretty heated up engine because it breezed away from a stop in a way you do not normally see a bettle move

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you don't need much, there's so little to them. If you keep it in good working order and the engine runs nice and cool and you don't have a rattletrap piece of poo poo, 60, 70hp is all you need to turn it into a fuckin' laugh machine. basically a well-running 1600 with a good carb

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

you don't need much, there's so little to them. If you keep it in good working order and the engine runs nice and cool and you don't have a rattletrap piece of poo poo, 60, 70hp is all you need to turn it into a fuckin' laugh machine. basically a well-running 1600 with a good carb

thats still like 2x the original power

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

The design goal of the Beetle was to run at 70 mph all day.

This is why the Beetle was super popular here and everything British was relegated to small enthusiast groups.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Panty Saluter posted:

well yeah they started out garbage; the last 1600 engine was 33% more powerful than the first one. extrapolate those gains (mainly advances in ignition and fueling/breathing) to current day and you're looking about there

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

well yeah they started out garbage; the last 1600 engine was 33% more powerful than the first one. extrapolate those gains (mainly advances in ignition and fueling/breathing) to current day and you're looking about there

People genuinely don't understand how lovely old cars were

People were playing manual choke polka in the eighties to keep the engine from dying when it was cold out. The eighties.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what does it mean to be "semi-auto"?

Apr 7, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

Transmission with no clutch but you had to manually shift

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BONGHITZ posted:

generally from the driver's experience it means that you pick a gear but do not worry about clutching. Sometimes this can be done by an automatic transmission and software (SUPER GARBAGE), or it can be done the cool way, with a dual-clutch transmission which is more manual-derived than auto (VROOM SNICK VROOM), or it can be like BMW's first 'semi auto' in the older M5's, which was a manual transmission with a hydraulic actuator pushing the clutch, which was pretty hosed up (HELLO AAA I NEED ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE).

Incidentally, the VW Autostick was a man trans with a button on the gearshift to engage/disengage the clutch.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

it means unless its a race car you shouldn't buy it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

troof

if i had ricockulous amounts of money i would waste way too much buying an old skyhawk and replacing its mid 80s gm tbi with a standalone modern system just to see how much more efficient it makes that ancient tractor engine (lol)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people piss and moan about "110hp 70's V8's" but the only problem with them was that they had choked-rear end intakes and exhaust and emissions poo poo and retarded timing (do NOT ban for this) on them that meant they couldn't spin to 4500 rpm. They had the exact same 300 ft-lb of torque as the "old hot rods", they just couldn't get to as high a top speed. put a vatozone intake/exhaust on them and replace the garbage distributor with an HEI and you have your 300hp back.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i found this picture of a skyhawk engine bay and i dont think you would even need to gently caress with fuel initially. replace that garbage rear end exhaust manifold and get 15 bhp

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

people piss and moan about "110hp 70's V8's" but the only problem with them was that they had choked-rear end intakes and exhaust and emissions poo poo and retarded timing (do NOT ban for this) on them that meant they couldn't spin to 4500 rpm. They had the exact same 300 ft-lb of torque as the "old hot rods", they just couldn't get to as high a top speed. put a vatozone intake/exhaust on them and replace the garbage distributor with an HEI and you have your 300hp back.

People forget that GM treasured low speed smoothness over everything else and set their engines up to be stupid quiet 0-30 MPH and worthless everywhere else.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my w123 station wagon is super old and cool and a dumb car for An Idiot (me)

it is v snazzy

and when it breaks will need to be shoved into a flooded quarry

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

This is a pretty lovely not well thought out troll because anybody that would pick manual wouldn't ask and nobody that would ask can drive stick. Go back to the end of the line and try again

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

my w123 station wagon is super old and cool and a dumb car for An Idiot (me)

it is v snazzy

and when it breaks will need to be shoved into a flooded quarry

Congratulations. Those are amazing cars, the likes of which the world will never see again.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dislike button posted:

Sorry nerd, cars are cool and good. Enjoy your train

You proudly drive a Mercedes, you have no clue what is cool you loving idiot.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You proudly drive a Mercedes, you have no clue what is cool you loving idiot.

A lot of wrong statements here by you. How about you put your headphones back on and keep watching anime in the corner of the train.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm glad to live in a city where I can get everywhere I need in air conditioned comfort while consuming media of my choosing. Driving around is for chumps whom's brains are weak to advertising.

Apr 7, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Driving around is for chumps whom's brains are weak to advertising.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to hack my headunit so I can watch dvds while I'm driving

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

consuming media

COnsuming media, huh? what ever happened to watching, reading, and listening?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hell, tori said it better than me.

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're both wrong. People on their deathbeds always regret pissing their time away "consuming" "media" to the exclusion of their families.

By the way, a "family" is "a group of people who care about you."

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reading a book is not "consuming" it you fat gently caress, go back to IYG and/or BSS

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Smythe posted:

COnsuming media, huh? what ever happened to watching, reading, and listening?

while driving, while speeding

-love,

americans

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's easier to say so I don't give a gently caress.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's easier to say so I don't give a gently caress.

That's pretty interesting, but it makes you look really stupid.

Also, it's confusing if you reply to someone without quoting them. Hell, you said it yourself, I remember.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Not quoting someone when you're talking to them is the online equivalent of not being able to look an alpha in the eyes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smythe posted:

That's pretty interesting, but it makes you look really stupid.

Also, it's confusing if you reply to someone without quoting them. Hell, you said it yourself, I remember.

It's like a catchphrase, mate. I was using it facetiously. Stop analysing my loving posts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's like a catchphrase, mate. I was using it facetiously. Stop analysing my loving posts.

Nah. Take your licks and move along.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smythe posted:

Nah. Take your licks and move along.

What lick? You got a little weird about something innocuous and I gave you the time of day.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deciding you win some imaginary flame war is the sanctuary of cowards.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Knuc U Kinte posted:

sanctuary of cowards.

my new metal album title

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Deciding you win some imaginary flame war is the sanctuary of cowards.

Why are you describing your own post?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

lol if you don't have a personal dj sitting up front with the driver of your rolls who knows what tune you're in the mood for at any given moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I saw what looked like a brand new Maybach on 17 a few weeks ago

it didn't appear to have a partition and the late-40s or early-50s guy diving it didn't look like a chauffeur

• Locked thread