Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I think Dallinn is more or less hammered out, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Svajonė now has a backstory. Rejoice!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li58voy6xXM

All things strive. So I was taught and so has the clay shaped by the master dried. So I walk the earth, steps guided by Corellion. Guided by destiny. Each movement a thing of beauty, every step a brushstroke on the great canvas of creation.

So it was that I struck down the assassins. It mattered not who they were, or who the target was. All that mattered was that sworn defenders betrayed an oath, that justice cried out and found her call answered.

It is enough.

Now what did you order again? Does that have ice?

Raised in a monastic sect of Corellion, Argus now stalks the land, righting wrongs and punishing evildoers. The basic gig of the place was expression of swording artistry, and the influence of the blade on the art of the whole of creation, and so on. Warrior artist stuff, probably a lot of goatees. The monastery is in a fertile river valley near the prosperous town of Walther, a bustling trade port at the nexus of three rivers. The place is mostly supported by the town itself, because having a pack of sword saint monks is a useful thing to have when river pirates and bandits are an issue. It is a useful arrangement, the Corellioners are kept and fed and supplied with their needs and also have the chance to tune up on scofflaws on the regular. Argus was left there as a kid, and was raised in the monestary, which has the net result of him being kind of a hick when it comes to real world poo poo. This lack of understanding is what led the abbot to give him the gentle but firm boot out of the nest, so maybe he could soak up some experience. This has not come to such of a much so far, but things might turn around. He got to Sharpeton via a riverboat that he agreed to help defend in exchange for passage. He became buddies with the captain, Ginger Jackson, and she introduced him to her sister, Grace Jackson. Grace runs an inn down in the sailors part of town, The Drowned Thirst. Argus has been staying there ever since, making his keep bouncing and tending bar. He is not super good at either, but nobody's perfect.

Argus

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 21, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You're missing level 2 and level 4 feats, but that's about it from what I can tell.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Your gear doesn't look like it's equipped, so any bonuses you'd get from it aren't being applied to your sheet.

Since you're not equipped and don't have an enhancement bonus to your AC and Fort/Ref/Will, you can tell that Inherent bonuses aren't switched on for your character in the builder. You should have a +1 enhancement bonus to all your defenses and a +1 to attack/damage on your powers.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Your gear doesn't look like it's equipped, so any bonuses you'd get from it aren't being applied to your sheet.

Since you're not equipped and don't have an enhancement bonus to your AC and Fort/Ref/Will, you can tell that Inherent bonuses aren't switched on for your character in the builder. You should have a +1 enhancement bonus to all your defenses and a +1 to attack/damage on your powers.

Whoot, thanks. Been awhile since I used the builder.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shiunxateh

- Where are you from? What is the city or region you came from known for? Give us some details, though you don't have to get all encyclopedic on us unless you really want to. Short and sweet is fine too!
Mount Kesthai, the milkland is where he is from, on the island of Naionca. Goats, yaks, and the most hardworking farmers in the world hail from there, growing rice in the sky. On a harvest moon, the most devout farmer may be visited by a dragon and blessed with the breath of the earth, one of the Four Elemental Breaths, which turns the weapons of conquerors into rust, and fallow or salted earth arable again. Shiunxateh has that breath in this Age, and is tasked with bringing back prosperity and peace to the starving and oppressed.

- Describe a friend, or someone who you've helped in the past. What are the circumstances of your acquaintance with them? They don't necessarily need to be from your time in Madulane since your saving of the general. If all goes well, we'll be traveling all over the world, so who knows when we'll get to see your friends?
Uaktumi, his rival, just as devoted as Shiunxate and never in agreement with his readings of the Dragon's Dogma. On the night of the Hunter's moon, one full phase later, she was blessed with the breath of the storm, which brings the proud and all who would hide under them to their knees, and rouses heroes and innocents from the brink of death if something tries to take them before their time. Neither would be as devout, or as stubborn, without the other constantly contesting them, and they both know it. When they left their island to adventure she gave him a sword he never uses–preferring a nunchaku and his wide brimmed hat-shield–and he gave her a garden claw and trowel that never leave her belt either.

- Describe one (or more) of your flaws. Nobody's perfect. Give me something to work with.
A complete lack of respect for "seemingly clever" "temporary" "shortcut" solutions, especially if inventing them wastes time that could be spent dealing with the problem with "honest," obvious work. "By the time the bolts of inspiration have struck, night will have fallen. Work by sunlight and inspiration will grace you in your well-earned dreams." Sometimes these decisive "journeys" take him in the wrong direction, and he has to backtrack all the way to the beginning. He shrugs his shoulders, smiles, and says he sees it as a lesson in humility. One he refuses to admit that he never seems to learn. He also vastly prefers people with "practical skills" to nobles, rulers, scholars, and especially bandits and generals, one of whom razed and salted much of his homeland. Even though he and Uaktumi drove them back and he breathed on the land, it still will take a generation before his people can resettle it. "I saved Latham because a person was in danger, her title never mattered."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 30, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Rhondus Phoenix Watt
Defender/Striker with loads of temp hp.

Cold steel becomes hard and brittle when struck. It will fail badly. But fill the steel with Fire, and each strike will shape the steel into a new form, each better than the last.

Where are you from? What is the city or region you came from known for?
'Duz Morden, the forge city. If you need anything made, come to Duz Morden. The more ambitious the project the better. The sciences of alloys and smelting, geology, alchemy, engineering, agriculture, and more are studied and practiced here.
Gnome, dwarf, human, elf, and goliath work side by side in the city's industries. The old families of Duz Morden keep their own faiths, tied to the living metal and rock beneath them. The Watt family has lived and worked the foundries and mines there for generations. They taught me the soul and purpose of each material- Wood and stone to shelter, iron to protect, cloth and fur to comfort. Fire to heal.
Just as I was just coming into my adulthood, ready to take up my mother's work in experimental alloying, I was struck down. I do not remember how it happened, but my parents told me they found me dead in the street, stabbed. Why or who I cannot say. I know I died, though.
My parents grieved and took my body deep beneath the earth, to the sacred heart of the world, where fire fill us all with life. There, they anointed my brow with a drop of the sacred flame, and there I woke from the dead.
It was a holy calling, though I am not a holy person. The fire is the foundation of all materials, all life in this world, and now my role was clear- I must protect, shelter, and comfort those who need it. I must Heal the wounds of this world, if I can. All I have is my axe and my body, but it is enough, because it is Fire, as are we all.'

Describe a friend, or someone who you've helped in the past. What are the circumstances of your acquaintance with them?
'The elf, Grayson, who I met in my journeys in the southern kingdoms was perhaps the most frustrating wonderful man I've ever met. Never have I traveled with someone so alike to me, yet so different. Fire burns hot and wild inside Grayson, and it is beautiful, and a bit terrifying. He cannot abide by any form of oppression or coercion, large or small, and he has a way of seeing the hidden ways which tyrant use to try to convince everyone they're not tyrants. I found his wild nature initially opposed to my structured childhood. His criticisms of the Apprenticeship systems of Duz Morden angered me at first, but in time I began to see the wisdom and compassion of his words. We rousted a few bandit lords and petty feudal warlords trying to run their own personal kingdoms on the backs of the less fortunate. We parted ways after a time, but I hope he remembers me fondly. I am sure he is out there somewhere, breaking chains as he finds them.'

Describe one (or more) of your flaws. Nobody's perfect.
'I struggle with my identity as a Healer, when I was not born for that role. When I carry the Axe and the burden of using it. I know the names and properties of a hundred alloys. I know the weight and shape of my axe, I know the movement and strength of my body, but I do not yet know the properties that make up another being's mind. I cannot yet fully understand the breadth of this world's cultures or the source of their injuries. All I can do is leap into the fire headlong, and hope that it shapes me into the tool for the job that needs doing.'

'I ended up being at the right place at the right time in Sharpeton. The general's life was in danger, and I took many blows that were meant for her, and gave many in kind. It was a turning point of sorts for me, to be working in a synchronous group all driven by the same goal of protection. Perhaps the work that needs to be done requires more than one tool.'

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 24, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Making a dude, will probably be done this weekend.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Watch this space for a Ranger/Invoker.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
MORD

Pictured: Mord, wearing his usual battlegear. Note the eyeglasses - he will tell you they let him see in the dark. They do not.

Mord is a half-orc barbarian. He is not the sharpest knife the kitchen, but he's got a two handed axe and he's not afraid to use it. He doesn't see shades of gray and you're either a good guy or a bad guy and if you're a bad guy he'll knock you down until you stop getting up. He was in Sharpton through sheer happenstance and did what needed to be done because good guys protect people that are under attack.

Ahm from nowhere! Ah travel around and that's where ahm from! Ah beena buncha places though an' ah've hurt a lotta bad guys 'cos that's what ah do! Whether ah get knocked down or- or- orahI don't get knocked down, okay? Ah travel around, see, an' ah find people an' they need someone with a big axe and these huge fuckin' arms ah mine. Ah'm the freak that travels from town to town ahn' when ah find somethin' that needs doing or a guy that needs putting horizonontal ah put him horizonontal ahn' ah saw this lady in her carriage gettin' set upon by some lil' weaklings in metal tin can ahn' ah did the only thing that ah real man, ah man like me could do! Ah put those guys on the ground ahn' then- no, no no. Ah ain't from anywhere other than Ainstruther maybe. Fishin' town! Spent a long time there, they do good smoked fish.

He'll say he's from nowhere, from parts unknown as it were. He's actually from a small fishing town in the north that's famous for making great smoked fish using traditional means. Ainstruther is a small village but it makes gourmet produce and it's not typically seen as the wildlands. Mord was probably too much of a square peg to fit in that round hole and with anger issues that made him pretty incompatible with village life.

Describe a friend, or someone who you've helped in the past. What are the circumstances of your acquaintance with them?
Ah've helped lots a people as ah've travelled around. Ah don't keep in contact with many of 'em but there were a few towns where ah did my work. Ah did some of my best work, like, a leader of some group of miners that was gettin' harassed by a group of kobolds and ah always do what's right so I went into the mine and just started cuttin' those lil' dragonny yappers down to size an' everyone ain't got size next to me. So ah did all that hittin' and winnin' and killin' an then when ah got done with that ah went through the cave and rescued like all the miners. An' one of 'em- an'... an' one of the- He was a good guy an' ah brought him back home to his town an' I got my axe made with the stuff they dug up there an' someone used the kobol blood to do a magic on it so now ah have a really, really cool axe.

He's helped a lot of people really. The biggest problem he has is that he's just not a people person. He seems himself as the Good Guy no matter what situation and Good Guy's don't do Bad Things.

Describe one (or more) of your flaws. Nobody's perfect.
The gently caress you say to me!? That I ain't perfect? Have you seen me? This chest, these arms, my goggles? You lil' quill-necked geek ah can split you in two with- with- with- my- In my life ah've found a lotta towns and ah- Get outta my way!

Mord isn't really a people person. He's also not that smart. He's aware of what's going on around him but there's something in his brain that just isn't wired up for dealing with complicated situations or introspection. He has a really, really simple moral code - you're either a good guy or a bad guy and the world needs more good guys like him. That simplicity is pretty exploitable. He also knows that he's not the smartest guy in any room that he's in (hell, he's sometimes not the smartest guy in the room when he's alone.) and he tries to put on a good front but goddamnit if he doesn't just lose his train of thought a lot of the time. Honestly, if you have a simple problem that you need solving he's your man.

Sion fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 25, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Ethrielle Syvan
Hybrid Ranger|Invoker of Sehanine

- Where are you from? What is the city or region you came from known for?
Right here on Genora, though quite a ways from Sharpeton. I was born and raised in Anseim, that mountainous region on the northern border. Mostly dwarves, and a few pockets of elves and other races who've adapted to living in a place with poor game and worse land. Some people say elves are the ones who dropped the mountains down to seal away a gate of evil, but I don't because that story sounds like typical elvish self-importance to me (I'm an elf, so I can say things like that). Besides, the local dwarves get really mad and start brawls if you tell that story around them. During the war we were known for being impossible to invade thanks to the mountains but having an unimpressive army and timid generals. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Anseim defenses always succeed, Anseim offenses always fail." So most of my military career was keeping an eye out for attackers and doing drills to keep in shape. I was known as the best marksman in my garrison, though between you and me I think that's mostly because no one else there tried very hard. Once peace was declared I decided to retire early to see the world. Wasn't doing any good up there, you know? I happened to wander through Sharpeton, and... well, you know the rest probably better than I do at this point.

- Describe a friend, or someone who you've helped in the past. What are the circumstances of your acquaintance with them?
This was down in Andelmire, in the port city of... Winking? Whelpen? Yes, that was it, Welkin! I got involved in busting up a slave trade down there, real nasty business but legal as far as the city was concerned so we had to get creative about giving them hell. Anyway, a bunch of locals did most of the work, I just did some scouting and sneaking and breaking people out and making distractions and laying down cover fire, things like that. What do you mean it sounds like I did all the work? Well, sure it sounds like a lot, but it was the others that identified the ships carrying the slaves, and found safehouses and escape routes to get them away, and smuggled the escaped slaves out of the city, and worked on public opinion, and lots of other stuff that was way harder than anything I did. All the stuff I did was easy for me! Anyway, Gavrin Gillespie was one of the big movers and shakers for the whole plan. He's the one who brought me into the fold and pointed me at the problem that needed solving. That's right, he's the mayor now, mostly on account of the rest of us causing so much trouble the city didn't want to deal with the slavers anymore. I wish I could say we broke the back of the whole operation, but I know they moved their business to different waters and they'll be looking to move back in if they find an opening. But hey, gotta leave something for an encore right? He's one of the better bosses I've had while working, and I certainly wouldn't mind being his underling again. As long as he was fighting for the right reason, I mean.

- Describe one (or more) of your flaws.
Sometimes I worry if I'm too... I hate to say it like this, but unreliable. I can't help but feel being a hero is like trying to juggle a whole bunch of eggs and I'm constantly terrified I'm about to hear a really big splat. For instance just before I left, Sehanine (Herself!) came to me and told me to preach of Her greatness throughout the world and win souls to her cause. But I barely know anything about Her rites or teachings; even when I've tried to learn it just slides right through my head. I keep my prayers and use the gifts She gave me to do good works in the world, but when things are actually happening the furthest thing from my mind is getting new converts. So I'm a day's travel out by the time I remember, "Oh yeah, I was supposed to do that." It's not just Her, either. It gets kind of awkward when a starry-eyed little girl comes up to you and says stuff like "You're so cool, I heard about you and that thing down in Entsfield and I want to be just like you and can you sign this for me" and the whole time you're thinking, "Uuuuuh, I don't remember where Entsfield is let alone what I did there and besides I'm really not that special..." What I'm trying to say is, I feel like a lot of people are depending on me and I can't help but fear that despite my best efforts I'm going to let them down.
... Now that you mention it, yeah. I never thought about it before, but my memory isn't very good is it? Wait, what do you mean by "scatterbrained"...?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Glancing over the submissions and found some things.

You don't have your gear equipped on your character sheet, so any bonuses that it'd be granting you aren't being applied to your sheet.

You've got a free DM granted Weapon Expertise feat you've yet to take, Spear Expertise probably since you already get the benefit of Axe Expertise from the gouge.

Your Acrobat Boots aren't equipped, so the benefit to acrobatics they give isn't being represented.

:allears:

You haven't taken advantage of your rightful starting at level 4 benefits! You get 680gp to spend on gear however you'd like and you get to add a single item of level 3, level 4, and level 5 or lower to your character. Mord needs to go on a shopping spree!

Looks like inherent bonuses isn't turned on in the builder for your character either since you're missing an enhancement bonus to AC/Fort/Ref/Will.

Dragonshards

There are a few Dragon Shards floating out there between characters, and with campaign setting specific stuff in the form of Spellscars and, more relevantly, Dragon Marks being banned it's worth asking if these are street legal for the game or not. I automatically assumed so, but if they're good for purchasing later I'll have to keep my eye out haha.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 25, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

You've got a free DM granted Weapon Expertise feat you've yet to take, Spear Expertise probably since you already get the benefit of Axe Expertise from the gouge.

Your Acrobat Boots aren't equipped, so the benefit to acrobatics they give isn't being represented.

Thanks for the heads up, I totally forgot to add in the expertise. Also I realized I changed my skill set and don't qualify for improved vigor, but dwarven stoneblood is strictly better and I should have taken it in the first place!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

:allears:

You haven't taken advantage of your rightful starting at level 4 benefits! You get 680gp to spend on gear however you'd like and you get to add a single item of level 3, level 4, and level 5 or lower to your character. Mord needs to go on a shopping spree!

Looks like inherent bonuses isn't turned on in the builder for your character either since you're missing an enhancement bonus to AC/Fort/Ref/Will.

Updated to reflect feedback.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Dragonshards

There are a few Dragon Shards floating out there between characters, and with campaign setting specific stuff in the form of Spellscars and, more relevantly, Dragon Marks being banned it's worth asking if these are street legal for the game or not. I automatically assumed so, but if they're good for purchasing later I'll have to keep my eye out haha.

I kinda forgot about dragonshards, because I thought dragon marks encompassed all the eberron setting mechanics, but yeah please lay off of those. Eberron can keep 'em.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 26, 2016

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Angharad's background is now finished!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Loom, Weaver of Misfortune, Warforged Warlock|Warlord
Role: Striker/Leader, mostly lazy on the leader side
Background: Gritty Sergeant. He was trained in as many arts of war as could be devised before being stored away.
Theme: Guardian. He can see someone being attacked a split-second in the future, and move to interpose himself.

"Sir, do not cross the street this moment. If you do, you- yes, that runaway cart would have hit you."

The very first part of Loom that existed was a crystal unearthed from a mine which showed rapid glimpses of possible futures - too rapid for the various mages who inspected it to grasp before the next one played, and too short-term to be worth the effort of interpreting. However, the crown wizard of Holhoak saw its potential in use on the battlefield. Even a second of warning could mean the difference between life and death in a battle, especially if they could warn others.

A golem was commissioned, a fantastic one unlike any conceived before, designed with the intellect to interpret the constant rapid glimpses, and the will to make use of them. Wood and stone and steel and more exotic materials were laid down and enchanted, and the crystal put into the center. The enchantments woven allowed him to affect the flow of fortune and misfortune according to the visions, and he was awakened and trained in the arts of combat and command.

Then, just before he could be shipped to the front lines, peace was declared. Since he had pretty much been designed as a tool of war, he was mothballed - put into a crate and forgotten.

He was still in that crate on the day of the attack. He had been forgotten, and was in a shipment of weapons being traded to Madulane to settle war debts. By pure luck the cart carrying him was less than a block away from the embattled general, and at the right moment he burst out and went to Latham's aid.

Once the dust and confusion cleared, there was quite a bit of shouting by the owners of the weapon shipment that, as part of it, he belonged to them. The Madulane government, however, had no interest in aiding and abetting slavery, especially not of a decorated hero. The matter was settled when the courts found that no mention of Loom had been made on the manifest they received, so there was no way to prove ownership. He was a free man.

Loom was created in the country of Holhoak, which forms a rough circle around the volcano known as Mount Holhoak - in fact, it claims all the land from which Mount Holhoak's summit is visible on a clear day. Mount Holhoak itself is an amazing sight. It stands alone on an otherwise flat plane, and extends over six miles into the sky. When it stirs from its mostly-dormant state, it can produce a plume of ash visible from almost half the continent.

Holhoak itself was relatively neutral through the endless wars. As a people defined by a single geographic identity, claiming territory in battle didn't have much appeal. Instead, they farmed in the fertile volcanic soil, dug into the mountain itself for exotic minerals that couldn't form under less dangerous conditions, and sold weapons and mercenaries to its neighbors. In turn, it has been a sanctuary for people fleeing the combat zones, and also a haven for diplomats, spies, and other agents seeking less-than-licit deals with people from other countries.

Bri ex Gallast was the sergeant who trained Loom after his creation, and is the person he had gotten closest to. Whenever he needed to talk about his relatively rare feelings, she was the person he went to; and she in turn grew to appreciate the person he was becoming. The first thing he did after saving General Latham was ask about her; after a lot of confusion, he eventually was directed to write her a letter detailing what had happened.

The letter eventually reached Sergeant Gallast, who had retired shortly after the ink on the peace treaty had dried. She, curious, decided to ride to Sharpeton. She arrived in time to see him be decorated for his actions. They talked afterwards, and after seeing how utterly at sea Loom was in the world, decided that, since she had trained him in war, that she would train him in peace as well.

Describe one (or more) of your flaws.
Peace and freedom have been quite hard on Loom. He knew absolutely nothing about the world outside the barrack walls, and even now has large gaps in his knowledge. For instance, he didn't know what money was for until recently, and only vaguely knew that people ate for some reason.

He also has been mentally constructing a model of how people behave, having to learn explicitly what most sapient beings know almost from birth. The crystal at his core helps some with moment-to-moment prediction, but he is still quite confused when people go "off-script".

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 1, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Freya Ymirsdottir, Psion Shardmind

An elderly dwarf walks the stones of Blackvale market. Dressed in his heavy skins, he is a strange sight; most dwarves of Blackvale dress lightly, fashionably. Still, despite his odd appearance, he has become something of a fixture in the Free Market of Blackvale. As he sets up his folding table, the light of dawn just reaching over the city’s walls, he longs for a shop on the Row, where he won’t have to fight for a spot in the Market. Where he might be able to sleep in once in a while. Or even, thinks with his breath catching in his throat, set his hours to something that his poor mother would have found respectable. He signs his heart to his ancestors and looks to the ground with a sigh.

Maybe that time won’t be so far off, he thinks, laying down black satin, or at least and approximation thereof, over the table. He had some great luck in the Foreign Quarter; a family of kobolds, fresh from the hills, sold him a sackful of crystals. He paid a fair price…For quartz and so on. But when he got back to his shop, he knew for sure, these were bona fide magic crystals, the kind wizards go crazy for. And if wizards don’t buy them, well, he can always sell it to a rich merchant as an impotency cure. It works with normal crystals.

He lays them out onto the satin-ish cloth and begins to regret not coughing up the money for the real deal. These crystals…He’s dealt in fine gems before, but these made him look like a pauper clutching a perfect diamond. The clarity of the blue…Ah, enough of that, he had money to make, a shop to buy!

“Crystals! Fine crystals! Some blue as the seas, some as the skies, all glitter like stars! Wizards, Magi, Potent Sorcerer, come close and examine my wares and you will see—these are the finest on the market!”

---

I remember a few things, waking up. First, there was the Wall. I know it was the Wall, capitalized, not a wall, and I know that it broke. When it did, a lot of nasty stuff came through and I saw all kinds of monsters and stuff like that.

I’m told that this is perfectly normal.

Then I remember falling up, which is a really weird experience. And suddenly…I was. As in, I existed. Weird, isn’t it? I know it doesn’t work like that for you people, I’ve asked a lot. You’ve got sort of a fuzzy memory thing where you fade from baby you into child you into angry teen you then adult you. With me it was just suddenly…ME!

And Me was there, standing on a table in the middle of what I would come to know as Blackvale Market, with a bunch of people staring at me. One of who was an old dwarf named Ymir, who would become my Dad but without the messy stuff, even if he didn’t know it yet. Oh, and the table collapsed right—Yep, right now. I told you that I kind of fell up? That’s when I came together. It left me kind of dizzy and the table couldn’t really handle me wheeling around.

But don’t worry! Ymir caught me before I hit the stones! He’s great like that. He even wrapped me up in one of his coats because I was sort of naked? I mean, I was only kind of humanoid then and even now I don’t have any, you know, equipment. But Ymir is really traditional. Ymir is also a really nice person. When we got back to his apartment in the Foreign Quarter, he took back his coat but gave me this neat shirt and shorts. He called it a “Ratball Tabard”.

Wait. You don’t know what Ratball is? It doesn’t even exist in your sad, sad Plane? Oh. Oh let me educate you. I have such sights to show you. Ratball is the most fun game ever conceived, possibly simultaneously, by dwarves, goblins, kobolds, humans, gnomes, and a dozen other races that do a lot of mining and/or the tough species of armored rats that live in the deep. Legend goes—sorry, let me put on my STORYTELLER VOICE. Legend goes that long ago, miners of some race had a terrible rat problem. These nasty little things just ran wild in the mine, eating holes in shoes, in pants, even wearing at the supports of tunnels! And to make things even worse—the rats were stealing the poor miners’ lunches! Now, I don’t eat much. Or at all. But I know people are upset when they miss a meal and that’s bad.

They tried everything to get rid of the rats; poison, traps, little cats, medium cats, large cats, and even one colossal cat that just sort of stuck its paw into the mine shaft. Nothing worked! The rats were just too clever and too tough. Desperate, the miners tried to carry the rats one by one out of the mine and toss them out. They would just run back in. They took clubs, not to beat the rats, but to knock them further and further away from the mine. Some miners batted them out a hundred yards or more. This time, they had some success; some of the rats never came back at all and simply ran off. So they started throwing the rats between them and then to the batter. Eventually, they had knocked enough senseless rats past the horizon that the mine was rat-free. And so the noble sport of Ratball was born. In terms of play, you might recognize it as a perfect fusion of baseball, cricket, and animal abuse.

My team was the Tanner Street Tarrasques and we were the best team in the whole quarter. I was the pitcher and my specialty was the changeup. I’ll tell you the trick but you have to keep it a secret; you got to tickle the rat first. The people of the Quarter taught me a lot more than Ratball. Like what streets are safe; which is important when you’re a 200 pound shiny crystal statue person. Walking down the wrong street is just asking to get fingers stolen. They also told me a little about Ymir. He was something called Deepshaft Dwarf. They didn’t like to be out in the sun; if they could, they would never leave the tunnels, but a war pushed Ymir and a bunch of others to the surface, to places like Blackvale’s Foreign Quarter.

Things started to change, after a few weeks in the Quarter, playing with the kids there. When I started out, I was just sort of a vague statue person-thing. But soon I started to change. Look a little more like my friends. Grow hair. Get these weird lumps on my chest. It felt…right, somehow. But it just made Ymir uncomfortable. When he took me home the first time, he took off his headgear so I could see his old, old, old face. But once I started to change, he wore more and more at home, until he was finally covered completely. It made me so sad. I asked him why and he told me that it was because it wasn’t proper for a dwarf to live with a young woman. But he must have seen how sad I was—so he came up with a way out. There’s no problem if we’re related. So he adopted me and gave me a name, Freya Ymirsdottir. That made me very happy. I get the feeling that not many of my kind get to have fathers and Ymir said that he’d always wanted a daughter, which made me happy too.

I got a reputation, as time went on. I mean, everybody wanted to see the weird blue girl who suddenly appeared in the market one day, but more than that. I was real nice, so people wanted to talk to me. Plus my hair had really come in by then so there was that too. And also my incredible, mindblowing psychic powers. Sometimes, people would come into the Quarter, looking for trouble. Sometimes they were filthy, but sometimes they were nicely dressed. The nicely dressed once were the really bad ones. But I would know the moment they stepped across the gate and people could get out of the way or get ready for them.

Or, once, fight back.

Well, I really liked the people of the Quarter. Not just Ymir. The whole Tanner Street Terrasques, the nice Landlady, that guy who sleeps under our window, the gnomes with the weird hats next door, everyone here is my family! So when I heard that some mean people were taking advantage of my family, I had to step in, right? Even if it was, maybe, kind of, a little stupid. It turned out that even if the Quarter was my family, it all belonged to one family, the Valtins, some eladrin who were descended from king blah blah blah who was betrayed by yakyakyak and now have to scrape by yawwwwwwwwn you get it. They were once fancy, now they’re making us suffer because of it. The Valtins took some kind of extra rent from everyone called “protection” and they ran every kind of criminal thing you could imagine. Even…fixing Ratball games! They had to be stopped.

So, I walked right into one of the places that Ms Jolla, the nice goblin butcher, told me never to go into, and told them all to get out! They were not impressed. I understood. They were like, a dozen big people and a few little people. I was a shiny walking blue statue wearing a “HAVE FUN” shirt. So I told them in their heads to go away. That got their attention, though I don’t think they were going to go. It looked more like they were going to make me go away, maybe in a permanent way. So I talked in their heads again.

You ever tell someone to do something in the right way at just the right time and they do it and not know why? Psychic powers work the same way, except not at all! I whispered into the head of the biggest one that his friend had actually stolen his favorite Ratball tabard. So he beat him into the ground like a nail through wood. It all sort of broke down from there as I watched them beat each other up, “suggesting” stuff every so often.

It didn’t exactly end there, but that’s pretty much it. I mean, all you need to know is that the Valtins no longer run the Quarter. Sure, there was a bunch of exciting stuff in the middle, but I’d keep you here all day if I told you about how they firebombed poor Gilliwick’s warehouse, or the time they kidnapped me and Ymir and his strange friends from the War rescued me, or the climactic battle between the Valtin Family’s hired muscle and the people of the Quarter when the Foreign Quarter Semipro Ratball League set aside their differences and took up bats to fight for their home…Exciting, but you’re a busy man. Woman. Person? Entity.

A while after that, Ymir and me went to Sharpeton. He had a friend there who, um, specialized in things that fall off carts. And that’s how I got here! You’d be surprised how easy it is to pick an assassin out from a crowd. They think really differently from normal people doing normal, crowd stuff. It's surprising that they ever manage to kill anyone at all!

Blackvale, specifically the Foreign Quarter. As you might guess, while the city is pretty cosmopolitan, the Foreign Quarter is seen by the well-to-do as something of a sieve to pass the undesirables through; particularly citizens of foreign states. It's a nice enough place, if a little dirty. In some places, these Quarters will become a refuge for crime and inequity, but due to strong community ties, they have been able to keep violence and crime to a minimum, particularly after the Valtin Family War last year. The people who live there represent a wide range of professions and skillsets, some working and selling wares in the city of Blackvale, others mostly serving the people of the Quarter, such as their famed Foreign Quarter Semipro Ratball League, save on the rare exhibition matches with the Dockside League.

There's Ymir, Freya's adoptive father, a Deepshaft traditionalist Dwarf. He's generally covered from head to toe in the hides of animals native to the depths with only his eyes exposed, save for when in private with family or close friends, who see his kind features beneath the headgear. He is very old, even for a dwarf with almost entirely white hair.

Gavin Greenlake: Taught Freya everything she knew about Ratball that Ymir couldn't. Like how to play dirty. Told the best jokes. Is currently signed to the Datan Ridge Darkmantles, a Pro Team.

Mysterious Dwarf: Who's this guy? He seems to have a history with Ymir. Maybe he knows more about the war that got Ymir and the others booted from the mines? Nice enough, I mean, he helped Ymir rescue Freya with some buddies.

Humda Fam: Bugbear. Smells terrible. Doesn't believe in personal hygiene. Does believe that if something falls off a truck, it is yours. Even if you kicked it off in the first place. Freya once saved his life after he used this liberal interpretation of the five second rule to take some spices. Freya doesn't regret it, because he's weird, funny, and smell is largely optional when you're a nonorganic lifeform.

Describe one (or more) of your flaws

Largely innocent. Freya is a little over two years old and still is not wise to the ways of the world. She can be childish in many ways; being too trusting, underestimating the power that she holds or the temptation that a large crystalline statue might offer to a greedy person, or being thoughtlessly cruel in the way children can be--though she feels terrible when she realizes what she's done.

----

Background is done. Sheet is mostly done though items are just a placeholder. done.

Notes: Mace, armor, and circlet, are actually Ratball gear (bat, tabard laid over some nice magic armor that Ymir had), and a Ratball cap that she turns backwards when things get serious). The orb is just a magic orb :)

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 1, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
From this point on there's a little less than 24 hours to go to finish your character! (Or submit one). Please try to be on time. If you really, really need an extension I might be persuaded to give you one, but I prefer to make picks tomorrow.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Glancing over the submissions and found some things.

You don't have your gear equipped on your character sheet, so any bonuses that it'd be granting you aren't being applied to your sheet.

Fixed, thanks!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Donaar, Knight of Hearts

Donaar was born to a bloodless family, hatched from an auburn egg that had fallen into the possession of the Sravathi Traveling Players. Vagabonds with a reputation as both entertainers and scoundrels, they took in the draconian infant and raised him as their own. From Nemeia he learned stagecraft, showmanship, and presentation, Varisen taught him logistics, the way of the roads and the way of the people, Keothi showed him how to make homes and tend injuries, while Takachai instructed him in ways of the strongartist and helped put muscle onto his lanky frame. As he grew in size and strength he would take greater part in their performances, delighting audiences with feats of might and flight, playing the role of fierce beast or wise guardian (or occasionally dashing hero, much to his delight). It was a good life.

But it was not to last. Strong as the youth was, sinew was meaningless when the tendrils of disease snake their way through the wagons at night and the encampment echoes with cries of the afflicted. The blight was beyond the modest skills of the troupe's own healers and hedge magicians, but it was not entirely untreatable. Anything could be had in Ultir, the City of Coin, if one was willing to pay the right price. Unfortunately, the fees of a skillful healer were high, and the troupe's status as plaguebearers made it impossible for them to entertain crowds. So what few healthy troubadours remained did whatever they could to raise funds, the draconian youth included, pawning off the most valuable thing he owned... himself.

The chains were forged of paper and the lashes of words, but it was bondage all the same, a heavy advance of coin to be paid off through labor over the years. Many of the troupe protested his decision, but once the coin changed hands and the healers were paid there was little else they could do. The troupe stayed in the city for a time and performed while its members recovered, but all too soon time and circumstances forced them to move on, but they promised that they would return. It was a promise they kept that year, and the following one and the year after that, but with time even those visits stopped, and he was left alone in the city with nothing more than labor and debt as his constant companions.

Well, that was not quite true. There were clients that he respected such as Eltryn the Blessed, Gilderos of the Spring River Tavern, and Cassial Theremet of the Theremet Merchant House, and he grew to know the other debtors he frequently crossed paths with such as Terios Stonehoof and Cillith de Vanar. In fact it was Cillith who pulled him from the pit of his abandonment by helping him default on their debts, break their bonds and fled underground into the city's sub-levels.

They could not hide forever in the City of Coin, and a few skirmishes with some debt collectors brought them to the attention of Raelar the Serene, a merchant of some underground influence with a predilection for collecting oddities and relatively lax standards for exactly how to acquire them. Raelar took them under one wing, employing them as enforcers and problem-solvers, capable of using cunning or even strength when pleasantries would not suffice. A year passed, and then another as he grew in strength and reputation as a Baron of Backalleys, whose mere presence would be enough to turn the tide and send lesser foes scattering, one who could stride through streets or crowds where not one would look him in the eye.

An otherwise uneventful day was shattered with the news of a scroll of particular interest to Raelar in the hands of someone unwilling to deal with the broker and already putting up a formidable amount of resistance. By the time he and Cillith had landed the skirmish was all but over, the interloper having knocked what little sense remained out of the local gang of street toughs. He advanced, blade in hand, roaring out a challenge, striking out at his foe. The figure turned, ready to continue the fight, powerful muscles rippling beneath worn clothing, battered features, fresh wounds and a fearless smile...

It was Takachai.

The two stared at each other in stunned silence, a cascade of emotions flowing through the draconian gangster's head. Takachai stepped forward, one hand outstretched, speaking words he could not bear to hear and the wayward warrior did the only thing he could... he dropped his weapon and fled.

His flight carried him across the rooftops, through twists and turns doubling back upon his path and circling about until night fell and he could no longer tell where his course had taken him. Collapsing on a desolate rooftop he wrapped his wings around himself as his shoulders shook and he wept. He wept for what he had lost, he wept for what he had done and most of all he wept for all the things that he was not. He wept until his throat was raw and there were no more tears left to shed and then he wept further still until exhaustion finally claimed him.

He awoke, wrought with hunger, thirst, and weariness, only to find that he was still tragically himself. He sat on that rooftop, lost in thought, where he might have remained had it not been for the disturbance below. A trio of... collectors looking to practice their trade with the enforced cooperation of a small vendor he didn't recognize... likely a newcomer unaware of the ways in which the city worked. A common practice in Ultir, and one he had aided and even led from time to time. It was none of his concern... but he could not turn away.

When the blades came out, the draconian came down, landing with a mighty crash among the collectors. His first appeal failed and his attempt to scare them off only incensed them into turning their blades on him. But even unarmed, he hadn't been the Baron of the Backalleys for nothing. With two thugs pummeled into submission the third lost courage and ran from the bloodied beast. Turning about, he stooped down, offering a smile and an outstretched hand to their would-be victim.

But the merchant fled.

In a way, it was expected. A single act prompted by one's conscience does not suddenly make up for years of ignoring it. In truth, even a hundred thousand would not be enough... but he could do better than this, be better than this. But it would not be in this city where his shadow stretched long behind him, and it would not be with the Sravathi Traveling Players whose kindness he could not face. He would have to cast himself into the storming winds of the world and see which one of them yielded first.

Most likely the wind would win, and tear him to pieces in the process. But then let it tear away his rage, his shame, his sorrow, his name, his ignorance and failings and wrongdoings while he held tight to everything good with all the strength left to him and turned those pieces into a better man. And when that strength finally falters, better that it be spent carving a space into the stone of the world. Even if he cannot change the world, he could do his best to change a part of it, to carve out a small shelter against the howling winds, to create a better, more loving world where people need not fear the wrath and cruelty of neighbors, and where the lost and lonely won't be slowly forged into ravenous beasts.

Donaar now roams Genora, an odd sight to be sure. A colorful, flamboyant and gregarious being, he tends to come across as more of a comical creature than anything else, but he's fine with that- he'd rather his appearance provoke laughter than screams. He throws himself into helping others with all of his strength and zeal (perhaps his two greatest qualities), always trying to answer the question of "what can I do to make things better?" He may not yet be ready to face his past with a clear heart and his head held high, but the Knight of Hearts strides onward as long as the embers of love and hope flicker in the world.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I've received one request for extension, so that person got another 24 hours to finish their app, but other than that, apps are now closed.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela Hag's Daughter (Human Cleric | Warden) and Hurri (goat)

- Where are you from? What is the city or region you came from known for?

"I come from the Vakevi mountain people. The favoured of Mother Auri, who you lowlanders call Pelor. Ah, it's been too long since I've been home. Nearly two full years. I've been down here in your cities, traveling. It's our tradition. A lot of our young people, we go - or the elders send us - out into the world, to experience and learn what we can, and bring something of value back to our people. Not sure I've learned anything yet that's going to change my people's lives, but I've been having a great time so far. I do miss home sometimes, though. I miss the morning mist, the fiddleheads in springtime, and the feeling after a good climb. Miska and Pekka too, if I have to admit it. Reedy little shits that they are, I hope they haven't fallen off the mountain in missing me back!"

Hurri nuzzles up against Karela's arm, prompting a smile and a scritch behind the ears from the latter.

"So, what are we known for? Well, the lowlanders who come through are always surprised at how big and strong our goats are. Last one even called them smelly, too. Turned white as a sheet right after she said it. I think she thought we were about to chop her head off for insulting our majestic goats. But it's alright, we have a sense of smell too. Hurri here has morning breath bad enough to knock Tiamat right on her rear end, don't you, boy? Smell or no smell, though, about half the lowlander caravans who find us end up leaving with a few goats. The other half come looking for warriors. Any one of ours could take ten of anyone else's soldiers, twenty if we're on home turf. The Maiza river orcs were the last to find that out. Thought they could raid a couple of our valley camps, thought we were out of our element. Not so. There's a reason we've survived so long with such small numbers."

- Describe a friend, or someone who you've helped in the past. What are the circumstances of your acquaintance with them?

"The first person I met in Madulane was a young wizard, practicing spells out in the field just outside the town. Liese was - is - her name. I was curious about magic and she didn't run away when she saw me, so we started talking. Turned out she was honing her skills so she could get mercenary work and pay her way into a good mentorship. I told her a warrior and a wizard together would have an easy time getting work, and if not, a person can pretty much live off goat milk. Hurri's a boy, he doesn't make milk, but I say dumb things to cute women sometimes. She seemed interested anyway, so we spent a couple days and then headed for the city.

"It was a good time. A really good time. Between the two of us we got into a lot of trouble, but she usually got us out of it. She has this way of...I heard a few people call it "country girl charm", so I guess that's something that makes sense to you lowlanders. In taverns, at the gates, even one time when we were literally sneaking out of some noble's house with hands full of treasure, people would go from wanting to kill us to actually smiling at her and letting us go with a warning. I've met some really clever people before, but she's something else.

"We traveled together for about a year, doing jobs here and there, before Liese had enough money to pay for, according to her, a "good enough" wizard to mentor her. We were in Avarre at that point, and she managed to strike up a deal with an enchanter named Ambris Belaque who seemed pretty well-known over there. I thought about staying with her, but even though there would easily be enough in Avarre to keep me busy, the whole point of my traveling is to see the world. So eventually we said our goodbyes. I mean, not goodbye goodbyes. We're keeping in touch. And it's not like we're never going to see each other again. I'll be back. Or she'll find me. One way or another."

- Describe one (or more) of your flaws.

"I lost to Pekka in a climbing race once. But he's so skinny, I bet it's easy to lift that light little body up a cliff. When you think about it, he basically cheated.

"Okay, okay. That's not a real flaw, I admit. I guess my biggest flaw would be...hm. I never really thought about it before. I'm good at most of the stuff I do, I'm always eager to learn new things. I have respect for others. I got robbed a couple times when I first came to the city, but now I keep a closer eye on my money and it hasn't happened since. I met an amazing woman, so I must be doing something right.

"I guess...well, maybe that's it. I haven't really thought about this before. I haven't really thought about a lot of stuff before. I like to take things as they come to me, but I guess that probably means there are a lot of things I'm missing out on. I've never really been good with small details. So that's it, then. I don't always think about things like maybe I should. I still feel like life's working out pretty well for me, but I guess there's always room for improvement."

goat-mount reskinned from warhorse
character art by Alex Stone, goat art by Christopher Burdett

Wol fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 2, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Submissions are now well and truly closed. Picks later today.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So with almost thirty apps I received (thanks for the interest, y'all) things were a bit tricky to figure out but the party of heroes is as follows.

K Prime as Yraine se ad Chengdon, Ardent
Stallion Cabana as Lerissa Wild Flame, Monk
Bendigeidfran as Stalwart Angharad, Knight|Swordmage
TheArchimage as Ethrielle Syvan, Invoker|Ranger
Wol as Karela Hag's Daughter, Cleric|Warden
Look Around You as Elanis Dressant, Rogue

While I get the game thread up and running, please work out the following for your characters:

1) Impressions on the other party members. Doesn't have to be long, just a general "here's what I think".
2) A token. Using TokenTool is the easiest, since you can just drag your pic in and select a border. But however you do it, please use a circular border.
3) Combat block. Please use the following template for consistency's sake, and mind the lines on conditionals, because [ pre] tags don't autobreak and I don't want every combat to have broken tables.

pre:
Ghesh   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 10
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)       For:  18    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  13    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 13    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Howling Strike          [ ] Dragonfear                       [ ] Rage Drake's Frenzy
Pressing Strike         [ ] Escalating Violence                   
                        [ ] Iron Wolf Charge        
                        [ ] Roar of Triumph
                        [ ] Second Wind

Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Flail Expertise: Choose to knock enemies prone instead of sliding.
Thaneborn Triumph: When I bloody an enemy, get a bonus to next attack against that enemy.
Rampage: Once per round, on a crit, get a free MBA.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Ah well, it was a tough competition. Good luck all of you.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, you're officially off the christmas card list this year, Wahad.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, you're officially off the christmas card list this year, Wahad.

Mr. Fowl your character concept was awesome and I'm tempted to start a game just for her.

Have fun everyone who made it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Stallion Cabana as Lerissa Wild Flame, Monk
Her wild heart-flame could burn us all. I don't begrudge her helping hand, but challenge must be met with art. Emotion is what drives us but serenity must be given place.

Bendigeidfran as Stalwart Angharad, Knight|Swordmage
Violence of the body and mind is required for all progress, but perhaps less is in order for the lady knight Elector. I admire her will and fire, but simple the world is oft not.

TheArchimage as Ethrielle Syvan, Invoker|Ranger
Another soul from a city that hides its shame in the mountains. A wanderer who has few cares, compared with my full burden. I wish I had her life not mine when I must face to the darkness inside my head.

Wol as Karela Hag's Daughter, Cleric|Warden
Her goat smells bad.

Look Around You as Elanis Dressant, Rogue
Another who seeks redemption. Though he atones for fault alone and not for sins of his blood kin, I feel his pain and wish to help however I may find a way.

pre:
Yraine   						 
HP: 44/44 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 10/10 (V:11)     For:  18    Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5    	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Power Points: 5

Energizing Strike       [ ] Adept's Insight                  [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Demoralizing Strike     [ ] Eldritch Strike                  
Ire Strike              [ ][ ] Ardent Surge     
                        [ ] Ardent Alacrity
                        [ ] Second Wind
                        [ ] Battle Awareness    
                        [ ] Sympathetic Agony

Item Powers
Casque of Tactics [ ]
Staggering Alhulak [ ]
Quicksilver Chainmail [ ]

Conditionals/Resists:
Flail Expertise: Choose to knock enemies prone instead of sliding.
Bolstering Surge: When I spend a healing surge, ally within my mantle gets 5 THP or saves
Wind of Sympathy: Ally in Mantle can use second wind when I do

K Prime fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 2, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Have fun folks!

Mince Pieface posted:

Mr. Fowl your character concept was awesome and I'm tempted to start a game just for her.

Have fun everyone who made it.
There's definitely 4th Ed interest, given that there were about 30 apps to this. Heck, if someone wanted to run something they probably wouldn't even need to run a recruit, just invite people from this thread.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
To clarify, since I mentioned it to Wahad: 'Wild Flame' isn't actually Lerissa's last name, it's a nickname or title from the Monestary. she has an actual noble name that she doesn't really use that Wahad said he'd deal with when it comes around.

Impressions

Yraine: Having someone who had a similar birth and station before their life changed is nice; it makes me feel like I can tell her things. Her story makes me wonder if I ignored issues in my homelands just because I was privileged, but I don't dwell on it too much. I try to keep my thoughts guarded around her; just because we're allies doesn't mean I want someone rooting around in my brain at will.

Stalwart Angharad: Adventuring with someone who has both a giant hammer and a keen tactical mind can really put you at ease. Her insistence on peaceful methods at times chafes against my desire to constantly prove myself, but her past and her current reasons for adventuring and heroics are beyond reproach. I also kind of want her to teach me chess, though I would never be a challenge for her, or even very good at it.

Ethrielle Syvan: Scatterbrained archer soldier. Like Karela, it seems like innocent goodness; it is somewhere between commendable and respectable. I feel like if she had to she could put an arrow through a dozen axe shafts with that bow of hers; it's impressive. Sometimes it just feels like you need to help keep her on track and remind her what we're doing, but harping on people for flaws like that seems a little silly.

Karela Hag's Daughter: The goat is...really smelly. But I'd never say that to her face. She's nice enough and I'd never complain about someone whose willing to take a hit for others; she seems very kindhearted, after all, and her general cheerfulness probably makes adventuring more fun. Just need to remember to stay upwind of the Goat.

Elanis Dressant: A compassionate thief is a bit of an oxymoron, but his reasons were good. I'm curious about this orb that seems to be hunting him to the ends of the world, even more so that he can't seem to let it go. A secret society with weird symbols after a mysterious orb? Sounds like a fun challenge, to be honest. He's probably a little too hard on himself, since the past is the past, but I can respect the amount of honor he seems to have.

pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 38/38 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	 Ref:  20   Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will
Blistering Flourish
Steel Wind  
Desert Wind Flurry of Blows

Encounter	
[ ] Light The Fire
[ ] Burning Brand
[ ] Hellfire Heart
[ ] Dark Reaping
[ ] Second Wind

Daily	
[ ] Risen Sun
[ ] Supreme Flurry

Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[ ] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yraine se ad Chengdon
If your elders are bad, you get new elders. Sounds like that's what Yraine's doing. Makes it harder if they're family, but nothing to be done about that. Yraine's whole situation makes me glad we Vakevi live in small bands. When your big city leaders live in castles and never see their people, makes it harder to knock their heads off when you get bad ones.

Lerissa Wild Flame
As I hear it, she comes from a life of luxury. So why is she so serious? Did her warrior training teach her to never have fun? Well. By the time we part, see if I can't get her to lighten up.

Stalwart Angharad
I don't really get her people or their customs, but Angharad is what passes for an elder, I think? She seems like a good one. She cares for her people. She does what she thinks is right. It sounds like she thinks things through. If I was one of her people, I'd follow her.

Ethrielle Syvan
Good head on this one. Ethrielle gets a lot of attention, but unlike some people, she keeps humble. I like that. She could teach some of our elders a thing or two. I think my people would like her a lot, actually. She's hard-working, devoted, great bow skills, and has a good nature. Her "Sehanine" might be a tough sell - it sounds like our trickster god, Kuu - but even Kuu is paid their respects from time to time. There's worse things than strange choice in worship.

Hurri
Maybe not as cute as he used to be, but we all get older. Hey, Hurri! C'mere, you old glutton, I got a pear for you! That's right, who's a good boy?

Elanis Dressant
A person needs to eat. Pretty simple. Elanis spends a lot of time being sad about this, but we all do what we have to do to survive. If being poor in the city means you have to steal to eat, and you steal, it doesn't make you good or bad. It just means you survived.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 
HP: 42/42 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 8/8 (V: 10)      For:  20    Passive Perception: 12
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  17    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Giant

Melee Basic Attack: +12 vs. AC; 1d12+6 damage.
Crit: +1d12 damage +1d6 lightning damage.

Thorn Strike            [ ] Heroic Effort                    [ ] Form of the Fearsome Ram
Sunspray Dance          [ ] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
Warden's Fury           [ ] Bathed in the Light                 
Warden's Grasp          [ ] Healing Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [0] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

Item Powers
    Lightning Weapon At-Will: Free Action: Switch between lightning and normal damage.
    Acrobat Boots At-Will: Minor Action: Stand up from prone.
[ ] Lightning Weapon Daily: Free Action: When you hit, the target and each enemy within 
    2 squares of it take 1d6 lightning.

Conditionals/Resists:
Mounted Combat: While you are riding a creature, it can make any Athletics, Acrobatics, 
Endurance, or Stealth checks using your modifier in place of its own.
Battle Cleric's Lore: When you use a cleric power to let a target spend a healing surge, 
they gain +2 to attack rolls UEoYNT.
Nature's Wrath (Hybrid): Once during your turn, as a free action, mark one adjacent enemy USoYNT.
Font of Life: Roll a saving throw at the start of your turn.
Sunspray Warrior: Gain +1 to melee and ranged attack rolls while mounted.
Reinforcing Armor: When you take damage from a melee attack, gain a +1 item bonus 
to all defenses USoYNT.

------------------------------------------------------

Hurri   						 
HP: 58/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    
                         For:  16    Passive Perception: 18
                         Ref:  14    
Speed: 8     	         Will: 14    Vision: Low-light

Melee Basic Attack: +6 vs. AC; 1d6+5 damage.
Charger: A rider with Mounted Combat gets +5 to damage rolls on charge attacks.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Yraine se ad Chengdon
The blood runs deep in her. I've seen kin obligations weigh on many people since I've left Fand, but never like hers. Her dedication to the people of Chengdon is all the more beautiful for it. Still, it's a shame I can't play a proper match of chess with her.

Lerissa Wild Flame
I could singe myself on her spirit! She might be a noblewoman and a monk, but she knows how to enjoy a good challenge. I think a few bouts of sparring are in order; it may look unfair to onlookers but that should hardly bother us.

Ethrielle Syvan
Despite what people say about Anseim's soldiery, Ethrielle's quite the heroine. She does good without even thinking about it. She does many things without thinking over them, it seems. That will spell trouble for her, but she has a very long life ahead of her to learn.

Karela Hag's Daughter
A very lively woman. Brash, roguish, with barely a care for local laws. Frankly she reminds me of myself in my younger days.

Hurri
A nice goat. His loyalty is commendable, his stench isn't. It's like spoiled mackerel preserved in maggot leavings.

Elanis Dressant
He's in a difficult situation. Legally speaking, I believe Elanis has a defensible case for much of what he's done. And that is because his painful remorse shows him to be a decent person, cursed to live in harsh times. As for that orb of his: it's fascinating. I should really do some research on it...

pre:
Stalwart Angharad   						 
HP: 50/50 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 12/12 (V: 12)    For:  19    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light

Feywild Guardian         [ ] Glowering Threat                     
Glimmering Blade         [ ] Power Strike                   
Defend the Line          [ ] Fey Step        
Defender Aura            [ ] Second Wind

Item Powers
[]Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor

Conditionals/Resists:
Bludgeon Expertise: +1 to sq. to push and slide attacks with hammer and mace
Vicious Advantage: Gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp: Knock slowed or immobilized targets prone on hit
Badge of the Berserker: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 3, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Token coming as soon as either I figure out how to run Token Tool or someone else takes pity and does it for me.

Stalwart Angharad: She and I don't talk very much; she's pretty intimidating, what with that giant hammer. I like her, though! We're both pretty simple, trusting people who stick with what they know and depend on others to do what they do well and we can't. She's a lot smarter than I am but she never lords it over anyone. I'd like to meet her daughter sometime, I'm sure with a mother like Angharad she'd be a good person.

Yraine se ad Chengdon: Sometimes I get the feeling she knows what I'm going to say before I say it. She's also pretty much a constant downer but it would be pretty crappy of me to hold that against her; she's from Chengdon, after all. I can't even imagine the kind of terror she'd been living with while I was wiling away the time shooting at targets. Some people told me I shouldn't feel bad for her, seeing as how she's part of the ruling family. But for the kind of person she is that might have been even harder on her.

Elanis Dressant: The worried look over his shoulder, the way his hands reach for his knife if he hears a loud sound; that's not military training, that's a survival instinct. Even I know the difference. I don't mind saying he's even better at sneaking around than I am. I do wish he'd had a fairer chance than what he got. Children shouldn't grow up like that.

Lerissa: She's not exactly what I expected out of a monk. Not because she's from a noble family, but she's a bit more brash and emotional than what the word implies. She speaks and acts from the heart, which is something I can relate to.

Karela Hag's Daughter: Speaking with her I get to thinking, "This is the kind of person I'd be if I had taken up herding instead of soldiering". It's actually a little scary how alike we are. There's differences, though, besides the obvious physical differences. I feel like she's a bit more 'together' than I am, for one. She asked me about Sehanine once, but I get the feeling I kinda blew it.

Hurri: He's got a pretty good personality for a goat. Just don't let him snort in your face. His breath makes my eyes water.

pre:
Ethrielle Syvan   						 
HP: 36/36 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  19    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	         Will: 19    Vision: Low-Light

Twin Strike             [ ] Elven Accuracy                   [ ] Silent Malediction
Grasping Shards         [ ] Second Wind                   
Hunter's Quarry         [ ] Whispers of Defeat        
                        [ ] Invigorating Stride
                        [ ] Disruptive Strike

Item Powers
[ ] Greatbow of Frost
[ ] Gloves of Piercing
[ ] Shadowdance Leather Armor

Conditionals/Resists:
My ranged and area attacks do not provoke opportunity attacks.
I get a +1 bonus to all defenses vs. ranged attacks from 5 or more squares away.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all weapon attacks performed through the Greatbow
	of Frost deal cold damage and gain the +2 damage bonus from Silvery Glow.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Impressions

Lerissa: It's always good to have someone this passionate by your side. Especially when they know how to control it.

Yraine: Her family pursues her much like I am being pursued. I know how hard living life on the run is, and I'll do my damnedest to keep her from capture and let her get her shot at redemption, at not being on the run.

Stalwart Angharad: Someone willing to risk their body for what they believe in, I can respect that. Can't say that I'm not a little uncomfortable with being near someone that associated with law though...

Ethrielle Syvan: Great archer, noble ideas. Could deal with being a a little bit more focused, but she more than makes up for it elsewhere.

Karela Hag's Daughter: She's very caring and really loves her goat. I also like her goat; it's very cute, though somehow it smells more than any animal should.

pre:
Elanis Dressant   						 
HP: 48/48 (THP: )		AC:  21			Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 6/6 (V: 12)		Fort: 16		Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +1			Ref:  21		Action Points: 1
Speed: 7			Will: 15		Vision: low-light

Basic Attacks
MBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+4
RBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+7

At-Will				Encounter			Daily
Piercing Strike			[ ] Action Point		[ ] Press the Advantage
Clever Strike			[ ] Second Wind
				[ ] Elven Accuracy                   	
				[ ] Disciplined Counter        
				[ ] Dazing Strike
				[ ] Tumble
				[ ] Low Slash

Item Powers
[ ] Gloaming Leather Armor (Encounter)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists
Reactive Stealth: Can make Stealth check to hide if I have cover or
		concealment when rolling initiative 
Light Blade Expertise: +1 to damage when attacking with CA
Brutal Scoundrel: Add Str mod to Sneak Attack damage
Backstabber: Sneak Attack dice are d8s

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Game Thread is up. Let's go!

Throughout the game there might be information that one player might discover that might not be readily apparent to others for whatever reasons, language, skill checks, or location constraints for example. This information will usually be portrayed with spoiler tags for the relevant character, like so;

Karela: The orcs are talking about a ritual to appease Gruumsh, involving copious quantities of blood..

The above is an example where, since Karela is the only member to speak Giant in the party, she's the only one to distinguish what the orcs are actually saying. At any rate, I expect everyone to respect the spoiler boundary, since I can't actually come over to y'all's side of the table and whisper things in people's ears. Just to keep things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I made a map of Genora. This is a work in progress, so it might change here and there, but for now, it gives you a general idea of what is where in your current region and the regions mentioned in your backstory.

• Locked thread