Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Erg posted:

i'm hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Watch the rest, you fool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish sports anime had less sports because i could not care less about the outcome of games

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

i wish sports anime had less sports because i could not care less about the outcome of games

im sorry

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i am too because it leaves me unable to enjoy a lot of anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you care about the outcomes of the games because the characters do

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

you care about the outcomes of the games because the characters do

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But don't you won't to see all the character's hard work pay off, and see them accomplish their dreams?

In my experience at least, I generally find sports anime matches more compelling than fights in other shonen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to see characters cry over their own inadequacies, and then get beyond them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

I want to see characters cry over their own inadequacies, and then get beyond them.

Ah, Gurren Lagann.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"oh no, we must get more points. if we get more points then after the game we will be happy about winning. if we get less points then we will be sad about losing."

i dunno, that stuff just doesn't do anything for me. whenever i try to grind through sports manga or anime the sports parts put me to sleep.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As for a sports series, I enjoyed the first several Volumes of Real by Inoue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like in baby steps, i enjoy the parts about self-improvement and the cute romance, but then it switches to like 30 chapters to cover a single tennis match.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

"oh no, we must get more points. if we get more points then after the game we will be happy about winning. if we get less points then we will be sad about losing."

i dunno, that stuff just doesn't do anything for me. whenever i try to grind through sports manga or anime the sports parts put me to sleep.

Do you watch much real sport, have you played a sport.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Are you the guy who is like "what's so special about [sport] it's just [dumb oversimplification]"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've played sports, yes. i never managed to care about the outcome so it was always just awkward exercise. watching real sports is even more dull than the anime versions.

i'm well aware that the problem is on my end. just because i find something boring and tedious doesn't mean that is an objective truth.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Uncompetitive people astound me

Seriously

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

Seriously

they astound me more

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best sports manga is Teppu because it's from the viewpoint of the cock prodigy rival character who's annoyed by the plucky self-made actual protagonist.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

they astound me more

:pusheen:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idc about sports but sports anime is ok by me

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

they astound me more

lol that took me a second

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The best sports manga is Teppu because it's from the viewpoint of the cock prodigy rival character who's annoyed by the plucky self-made actual protagonist.

it's chihayafuru, because they slap the cards and then the good music plays

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

it's saki because it has super powers for what is probably the most boring thing ever to watch

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

littleorv posted:

Seriously

Isn't it nicer to relax. I can understand bettering yourself but the need to be better than someone else doesn't seem productive

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

it's saki because it has super powers for what is probably the most boring thing ever to watch

Legend of Koizumi is the best mahjong series, let's be real here.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Agronox posted:

Isn't it nicer to relax. I can understand bettering yourself but the need to be better than someone else doesn't seem productive

No I'm going to give it my all and loving win

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I worked hard to be the best

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Playing > Watching

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
As someone who doesn't really like to watch anime as they come out most of the time, I'll probably still check out Drifters before it finishes. I'm a little too interested in it to wait.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Definitely watching the new Haikyuu!! and Sound! Euphonium, as well as Double-U Double-U Double-U Dot Working!!

Other shows I might check out:
- Fune wo Amu
- Watashi ga Motete Dousunda
- March Comes in Like a Lion
- Long Riders!
- Stella no Mahou
- Poco's Udon World
- Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

As an aside, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda has the dumbest localized title I've seen in... well, two or three seasons, at least.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have never heard about Flip Flappers until this thread - what's its deal? Why might I want to take a look?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Watch the pv

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
March Comes in Like a Lion is going to be amazing and I can't wait. I'll be watching Eupho 2 as well.

I probably won't have time to check out the others, unfortunately. All of the "guaranteed to be good" sequel series like working, volleyboys, natsume, and IBO are shows that I haven't even seen the first episode of yet, so those will have to wait until I can work through my backlog.

I can't believe the manga about girls in bathing suits who fight with their butts is getting an anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I have never heard about Flip Flappers until this thread - what's its deal? Why might I want to take a look?

It's like a sandal but it doesn't have the back part.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWMWPQtEH40

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like a sandal but it doesn't have the back part.

don't you do this, waffleman

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Araki posted:

As an aside, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda has the dumbest localized title I've seen in... well, two or three seasons, at least.

What, you mean Kiss Him, Not Me? I dunno where the one in the OP came from, but that's the official name they use for the manga.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, "surreal, potentially gay, vaguely defined magical girl adventure" is what I'm getting out of the PV and the summary, I guess.

Eh, sure, I'll give it a shot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the director for flip flappers mostly done key animation before now, but he has credits for working on a ton of shows including an episode of gurren lagann (not episode 4), animation director for five episodes of dennou coil, and key animation for a letter to momo, the wind rises and evangelion 2.0. he also directed the episode of space dandy s2 where dandy gets stranded in a fishing village and befriends a little girl, where iirc he apparently did a ton of work on animating it himself

the animation director's also got pretty solid credits, working as a key animator on a bunch of shows including bakemonogatari, fujiko mine, half of mawaru penguindrum, madoka rebellion and even the same episode of space dandy. he's worked on a huge pile of stuff and not all of it is great, but the highlights of what he's worked on are definitely really stylish and beautiful.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the director for flip flappers mostly done key animation before now, but he has credits for working on a ton of shows including an episode of gurren lagann (not episode 4), animation director for five episodes of dennou coil, and key animation for a letter to momo, the wind rises and evangelion 2.0. he also directed the episode of space dandy s2 where dandy gets stranded in a fishing village and befriends a little girl, where iirc he apparently did a ton of work on animating it himself

the animation director's also got pretty solid credits, working as a key animator on a bunch of shows including bakemonogatari, fujiko mine, half of mawaru penguindrum, madoka rebellion and even the same episode of space dandy. he's worked on a huge pile of stuff and not all of it is great, but the highlights of what he's worked on are definitely really stylish and beautiful.

Mm. Sounds pretty promising. I'll definitely give FF a look, then.

• Locked thread