Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Uh lets go with magical girl raising project as the namtab pick, my risky pick is the one about the butt fight gambling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hip whip girl, that's the risky pick.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I heard it was bad, like the manga

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think two picks of things that I don't know anything about is the limit.

E: the point is for me to pick one or two things I don't know anything about, telling me "oh that's actually good" just takes the fun away.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're right, it's far better than good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm very excited for the return of teekyu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

chumbler posted:

I forbid the watching of Keijo!!! in shame.

An I watch it in heat

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

"oh no, we must get more points. if we get more points then after the game we will be happy about winning. if we get less points then we will be sad about losing."

i dunno, that stuff just doesn't do anything for me. whenever i try to grind through sports manga or anime the sports parts put me to sleep.

Do you watch much real sport, have you played a sport.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Are you the guy who is like "what's so special about [sport] it's just [dumb oversimplification]"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I worked hard to be the best

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Much like strike witches I will see to it that anyone watching brave witches is punished

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there punishments greater than watching Strike/Brave Witches?

Mods know

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Terper posted:

A World Only Mod Knows

Swap mod and only for the actual title

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

There are not enough people excited for Teekyu S8 in this thread!!

Lad I love teekyu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I have been sporadically watching Mushishi, binged on Gankutsuou back in July, and have continued to watch Jojo to this date. Any more-recent anime recommendations from 2003-2013 that I could fill my time up with while I wait for good shows in October?

K-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I have already seen all of those yes. K-ON I might give a shot considering that I recommended it to my cousin and my hippie uncle.

It's good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Shokugeki doesn't count does it? Um....
Nothing. Never. Ever.
When I was little I avoided Prince of Tennis and Ultimate Muscle on 4Kids. Only watched Space Jam.
When I was older I was revolted by Free as a yaoi sellout.
Ping Pong being an Anime around Ping pong on first sight baffled me, because why is there an anime about Ping Pong?
Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, you name it, have never interested me, as they're about sports
Which I have despised since I was little (bad one-day experience with Soccer when I was five)

So yeah.
(Does that Water Polo Ecchi count?)

Omg lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Every time I read that post its more stupid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'm not gonna watch the magical girl death game anime

I am

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is matoi actually allowed to mod here lol.

Grouchio posted:

First I would like to say sorry for inciting violence and for having freudian reasons not to like sports anime.

Second I cannot seem to access profiles, messaging or the leper's colony on Firefox. What should I do?

Freudian?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I only support the real mod, and not matoi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Edge of tomorrow is a good film

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

there's this vid series on youtube where a guy just counts every tiny change movie adaptations of books made as if every single change is a negative

It's

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stexils posted:

except zorak has been replaced with hayden christensen

Actually, namtab

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on movie!!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

will magical girl raising project be full of dead magical girls and general grimdarkness? i think so.

It's the namtab pick, so it'll be good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

please do not talk about children "breeding"

Somewhere in bcc, wickedhates ears twitch

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

its no kirarin revolution, thats for sure

I loving love kirarin revolution

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I liked magical girl raising project episode 1. Thus under the terms of the contract I do not need to be probated

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

The ending to the Ouran high school host club anime is anime original, and that's generally considered better than the manga ending.

It's a lot better!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Magical Girl Raising Project definitely had weird pacing problems with trying to do both too much and yet not enough simultaneously. I get that they want to get to the Battle Royale-esque stuff sooner rather than later, but it'd be nice to have a reason to care about that first? They crammed a lot of exposition in, without really putting a focus on much resembling characterisation for the most part. That said, even boys can be magical girls was the best part of the episode because it was at least set up semi-well. The start of episode scene felt like it was included more out of some kind of obligation than necessity as well; like they HAD to show that it is totally going to get grimdark later, but it really came off as out of place.
I like that they aren't going for a bait and switch approach and just laying their cards on the table

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

a sports entertainment anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yuri on ice has no yuri

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

devtesla posted:

Good, the joke has been made in the thread. Now no one will have to make that joke again.

Haha I'm gonna make that joke daily just to gently caress with you

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Space Flower posted:

there's a ton going on, and it's totally unfitting that the word fanservice is used as a catch-all for Strike Witches like it's the genre. The word should be used for ancillary scenes like Rider filling the gently caress out of a t-shirt and naked Gil in Fate/Zero, imo, rather than describing a series like Strike Witches for being founded on its moe traits and mecha musume and uses that to build an entire world with fun characters. The anime has fanservicey butt shots or bath scenes, and sometimes the manga does! But it's not what gives the show heartwarming and funny moments or why the series is still going strong nine years later. Fans don't open up the latest in a metric gently caress-ton of light novels to read a multi-page entry on a girl's panties (Kizu joke goes here).

It annoys me to no end to see 'fanservice' a dull buzzword that's used for a connotation of writing off any elements of a work that don't appeal to the user—and it doesn't stop at sexuality, as you see it all the time with sequels and the like adding moments of characterization that fans have already considered and played with. Sometimes it's just fanservice beats like Nico and Maki doing something cute in Love Live S2 in a wink-nudge moment, and sometimes the entire story and its theme is predicated on an idyllic happy world, like in the third Madoka movie, Rebellion. I don't think it has a place in stigmatizing anime on a holistic level.

that's my two cents.
source your quotes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Knowing nothing about it I'm gonna assume strike witches is for creeps!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I watched Keijo as I wanted to know more about "Namtab's risky pick" and I dunno. I like that they got some non-standard physiques represented here, mainly the girl that looks like Avatar Korra and I have Bento vibes.

I picked it based on baps and butts and from the thread reaction I'm probably going to be eating a sixer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sub the op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

because thunderbolt fantasy doesn't have a page on myanimelist, much to my disappointment

my opinion is 'why do i care if it's anime as long as it interests me', which, uh, granted, is usually anime, i guess because there's not much extravagance and over the top emotion in the more popular not-anime things right now?? but i probably should at least peek my head into the breaking bads and...other...similar things...of this world, before making much assumptions

Anime is what I say it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The bakuon bike washing is very much my jam.

• Locked thread