Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BirryJoru posted:

hour with no silent h

lol waht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My grandparents are literal hillbillies and say lots of funny things. Tylenol is "tye-ee-nol." Wal Mart is "Wal Marks." Hobby Lobby is "Holly Lobby." Having diarrhea is "the darryl." Also instead of you they say "younts."

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

peach moonshine posted:

My friend spent a whole semester working on a Rude Goldberg Machine.

lol this is another good thing like werewuss

like you flick a domino which starts a chain of dominos falling so the last one hits the butt of one of those lil drinking bird things so it starts wobbling and cracks an egg that lands on a handle of a pan that flips the pan so the marbles inside fly out and gently nudge a fan so it blows a candles flame towards a string that burns a lil and breaks and a balloon flies up and hits a switch that turns on a radio that plays a tape of me saying "much like your posting"

babylon the Whore
Sep 19, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cool meth whores

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
If you don't say sanguich then I don't know how to help you

BBQ Crisis
Nov 2, 2011
A coworker drives me insane with consistent misuse of Pacific instead of specific, done instead of did and seen instead of saw, like "I seen that Pacific email but I thought I done it yesterday". We work in communications :eng99:. I worked with someone else who replaced 'tl' sounds with 'k' and I thought they were being childish for laughs but nope he never deviated from saying bokkle, hospikle, likkle etc in the middle of otherwise normal sentences.

A friend says 'tong' for tongue and I live in a part of the UK where tooth is 'tuth' so who knows what the gently caress. I used to pronounce corporeal as corpuhreal until I was loudly and publicly corrected by an obese furry weeaboo, which I guess is one way of making learning stick.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

uk goons should not be able to comment seeing as they all speak some mushmouth poo poo anyway

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
this kid i went to school with used to say "vackum" instead of vacuum

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

this kid i went to school with used to say "vackum" instead of vacuum

hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak em, lay er down n smack em vackum

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my dad thinks kanye west is kane west

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

Are you sure it's not on purpose? I do the same thing because it annoys people who think of a DJ as a performer and not as just the monkey in charge of the stereo.

unfortunately yes i am fairly sure because i know this person well and he doesnt do the deadpan irony thing it's just not part of his repertoire. i think he really truyl believes that one valid option is dead mau five

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

amityville anus posted:

my friends pronounce it "incorrectly" when its pronounced "incorrectly"

it's :eng101:
You forgot to pronounce the apostrophe.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

If you don't say sanguich then I don't know how to help you

I too remember Dane cook

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Produce as "Prahduce"

How is that possible.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Do they pronounce the "duce" like as in "il duce" the italian rapscallion benito Mussolini? Because that would be a cool mispronunciation

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jag-wires

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
My dad mixes up well-known phrases in bewildering ways, as if he heard them once and misremembeerd them badly, e.g. "The best laid plains of mices and men" and "one in the hand, one in the bunch"

Also my boss has a perfectly normal accent but pronounces "schedule" like "shed-yull" to the point that she's well-known for it locally, and I had a client describe her as "the black lady that says 'shed-yull' at our first appointment.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

voltroon posted:

My dad mixes up well-known phrases in bewildering ways, as if he heard them once and misremembeerd them badly, e.g. "The best laid plains of mices and men" and "one in the hand, one in the bunch"

Also my boss has a perfectly normal accent but pronounces "schedule" like "shed-yull" to the point that she's well-known for it locally, and I had a client describe her as "the black lady that says 'shed-yull' at our first appointment.

That is how you pronounce schedule though.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Zesty Mordant posted:

a guy I know mispronounces all sorts of things but he also thinks its funny to use weird words and hokey phrases but he misremembers them and so he comes out with all these weird adages rife with malapropisms like "well you gotta take that with a pinch of sand" and "don't be such a trilobite" (he means, bewilderingly but fittingly, 'troglodyte')

basically half the things he says have that echo of the real thing, like when a tv show uses a sound-alike instead of the actual song they couldn't afford to get the royalties to

He's an alien.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Bruschetta with a "shhhh" sound. I seem to remember more people pronouncing it correctly back in the 90s but for some reason people switched to the shhh pronunciation in the 00's because it sounds more 'authentic' or some poo poo.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Shin00bie posted:

That is how you pronounce schedule though.

In british english yes, but in the states it's like pronouncing aluminum al yu mean ee um and expected people not to look at you like a moron.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

In british english yes, but in the states it's like pronouncing aluminum al yu mean ee um and expected people not to look at you like a moron.

yeh saying it likes its spelt

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
u spelt it wrong

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
i like saying "crick" for creek and "eye-talion" for italian but I do it on purpose

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Blue Train posted:

cool meth whores

if anyone needs a username it's in this post

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This horrible old lady I worked with said "foo paw" all the time. The first time she said it I looked at her because I thought that she was making some kind of lame joke. No one ever corrected her, we just laughed at her for 3 years until she retired. She also said faux pas like 20x as much as the average person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

thathonkey posted:

i have a few for myself from when i was young and dumb(er)

- i used to say ether like tether in ethernet instead of like either

i used to say "infrared" like it rhymed with "sinclaired"

quote:

aside: i'm generally a proponent of pronouncing foreign words as closely as possible to the native way but without trying to overdo an accent that isnt your own if that makes sense but people that say "porsche" with two syllables are lame as gently caress

same

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
warsh

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013
So this is what being triggered feels like.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
My fiancé says mind bottling instead of mind boggling. She inherited a lot of bad speech habits from her mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Uses "snafu" as though it meant "to steal" or "to swipe"

• Locked thread