Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was a bigger/badder thing for America?
Big Box Stores
Dotcom/Tech
This question and the answers for it are both complicated and stupid and I have a totally different take on the matter.
View Results

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
currently looking for angel investors for my new start up, we are developing an app that notifies something awful users whenever there is a thread that is ready to be snyped

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Roylicious posted:

Well you say that like this stuff is all kosher but in reality the USA is not a totally free market society and there are rules and laws in place to prevent the natural monopolization of markets.
i can't see a repeat of the breakup of at&t happening in this day and age. yes i know that it was literally the only phone company up until that point, but there are enough people bought out to say that this is actually a good thing

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
The significance of big-box retail was the zeitgeist of LAST decade, now half of them are dying or already dead thanks to both the 2008 recession and e-commerce. Walmart has already plateau'd because they can't figure out how to sell things online properly.

Beyond that all I know is that before a Walmart opened up my parents had to drive an hour to the mall if they wanted to buy electronics and appliances, and that was in New Jersey.

Anyway America has something like 10x more retail space per capita than Britain, which also has more retail space per capita than any other European country.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Y-Hat posted:

i can't see a repeat of the breakup of at&t happening in this day and age. yes i know that it was literally the only phone company up until that point, but there are enough people bought out to say that this is actually a good thing

Yeah if they wouldn't do it to the banks after 2008 it's not happening. There's plenty of companies holding an effective monopoly over their market today, many approaching AT&T levels.

Hell I remember when Microsoft was about to get broken up for being a monopoly. The DoJ has no teeth at all anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

im gaye posted:

why are homeless women called bag ladies and not box ladies

Dumpster Divas
Garbage Gals
Drifter Dames
Shelter Sheilas
Beggar Babes